Macc Do Geno a Favor and Cut him NOW

JetBlue

I know this is a business, but after everything that has happened I find it very difficult to see how Geno can co exist on this roster.  I am sure he, like most players, read the papers, listen to the radio, watch espn etc. and all we have read all off season is the tremendous support Fitz has among the Jets players like Marshall, Decker, Mangold, Forte etc.   He has to constantly hear how he sucks and is the worst quarterback in the history of football etc, etc. 

The hand writing is on the wall; there is no reason to have the guy on the team at this point; if Petty shows ANYTHING, he should be the back up.  Do the right thing Macc and put Geno out of his misery but cutting him now and letting him try and latch on with another team.   His days as a NY Jet are really over and maybe that is the best thing for his future.  

I am going to root for Fitz to do well but I can tell you now, I am not excited at all to see him back; I would have liked to see what Geno could have become with this offense. That is now water under the bridge.  For me, the countdown begins for the Hackenberg Era. 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I know this is a business, but after everything that has happened I find it very difficult to see how Geno can co exist on this roster.  I am sure he, like most players, read the papers, listen to the radio, watch espn etc. and all we have read all off season is the tremendous support Fitz has among the Jets players like Marshall, Decker, Mangold, Forte etc.   He has to constantly hear how he sucks and is the worst quarterback in the history of football etc, etc. 

The hand writing is on the wall; there is no reason to have the guy on the team at this point; if Petty shows ANYTHING, he should be the back up.  Do the right thing Macc and put Geno out of his misery but cutting him now and letting him try and latch on with another team.   His days as a NY Jet are really over and maybe that is the best thing for his future.  

I am going to root for Fitz to do well but I can tell you now, I am not excited at all to see him back; I would have liked to see what Geno could have become with this offense. That is now water under the bridge.  For me, the countdown begins for the Hackenberg Era. 

What if Fitz goes down today for the season? 

I would think people would like to see Geno yr 2 under Gailey & actual coaching staff. 

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

What if Fitz goes down today for the season? 

Then it is next man up.  In truth I don't see him getting cut at least not right away, it would be the best for him since it would give him more a chance to get signed by another team. 

Geno is a decent quality backup quarterback with starting experience, a cheap contract, and knowledge of the system.  Unless Hackenberg and/or Petty impresses in a very big way over the next few weeks, Geno is not going anywhere this season.

If they really like the younger 2, might keep 4 QBs for the year.

Do you want to go into the season with 2 backups who have never taken an NFL snap?   Geno has good value as a backup who is cheap and knows the system

1 minute ago, DoubleDown said:

Geno is a decent quality backup quarterback with starting experience, a cheap contract, and knowledge of the system.  Unless Hackenberg and/or Petty impresses in a very big way over the next few weeks, Geno is not going anywhere this season.

Probably not, and that is too bad for him... 

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Why do so many people care so much about doing the right thing by a guy who doesn't even respect the team enough to pay his debts to his own teammates? It's like a disease.

Because nobody is perfect, except maybe you.... 

Geno Smith has never done anything wrong on or off the field for all the hate the fans show him. He was handed a raw deal from the day he started at QB here. sh*tty head coach sh*tty OC sh*tty WRs he never complained. A locker room altercation in which he was assaulted cost him his starting job he took it eloquently never complaining always being a good teammate on and off the field. 

Releasing him would hurt this team as mentioned if Fitz goes down we have no one. He's under contract for 1 more year as is Fitz then we make a decision. 

Geno Smith is the one who should be asking for his release but obviously so far he's not that kind of player dont understand all the hatred towards him. 

4 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Then it is next man up.  In truth I don't see him getting cut at least not right away, it would be the best for him since it would give him more a chance to get signed by another team. 

Let's do what's best for the NY Jets. Wait to see how Petty and Hack look in camp, and make sure Fitz stays healthy until after the preseason games.  

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Why do so many people care so much about doing the right thing by a guy who doesn't even respect the team enough to pay his debts to his own teammates? It's like a disease.

You know exactly what happened with IK you know the entire story funny Macc and Bowles didnt cut Geno they cut IK. 

You people are so dramatic.

"Everything that has happened"

As in what? The Jets took a hard stance on contract offers to bring back the starting QB from last year, so he could be the starting QB this year. Making Geno the backup again. So, he's in the exact same situation he was in last year?

If they're going to cut him, it should be because they think he's trash as a player. Not because of the PR manipulated appearance of whatever... Fitz could have been a Jets months ago if he just signed then. He balked at the contracts offers, until he ran out of options and the Jets told him they were done waiting on him.

There is no "everything" that happened. Geno has the same job now that he had last year. Same opportunity to steal Fitz's job too, if he can.

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Geno Smith has never done anything wrong on or off the field for all the hate the fans show him. He was handed a raw deal from the day he started at QB here. sh*tty head coach sh*tty OC sh*tty WRs he never complained. A locker room altercation in which he was assaulted cost him his starting job he took it eloquently never complaining always being a good teammate on and off the field. 

Releasing him would hurt this team as mentioned if Fitz goes down we have no one. He's under contract for 1 more year as is Fitz then we make a decision. 

Geno Smith is the one who should be asking for his release but obviously so far he's not that kind of player dont understand all the hatred towards him. 

2nd round pick starting from day 1 due to injury to starter then backing into starting year 2 after faux competition and then on cusp of "winning" another non-competition in year 3 until his own collossal stupidity opened the door for a journeyman who played his heart out and won the respect of the team that Geno never could.

Doesn't sound like a raw deal to me. Sounds more like Geno folded a straight flush because he couldn't figure out how to put the cards in the right order.

Just now, Saul Goodman said:

Let's do what's best for the NY Jets. Wait to see how Petty and Hack look in camp. 

Why? If Geno SUCKS so much, even Petty and Hack must be better, even now.   According to most of this board, Geno is the worst quarterback in the history of football so no point in keeping him around.  

Just now, JetBlue said:

Why? If Geno SUCKS so much, even Petty and Hack must be better, even now.   According to most of this board, Geno is the worst quarterback in the history of football so no point in keeping him around.  

Nothing like having to completely misrepresent the other guy's point to make your own. Totally a sign of a strong position. Keep on truckin', Clarence Darrow.

6 minutes ago, chirorob said:

If they really like the younger 2, might keep 4 QBs for the year.

Do you want to go into the season with 2 backups who have never taken an NFL snap?   Geno has good value as a backup who is cheap and knows the system

I totally get all of that and fully expect that he will be on the team unless Petty or Hackenberg REALLY shines in camp/preseason.  My point is, from a player perspective, he is probably better off getting cut sooner rather than later.  

You don't have to beg for Geno to be cut, he'll do just fine on his own.

He's a petulant child and his moping, whining and ineptitude will speak for itself.

He'll be cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Awful suggestion. You cut Geno only after you are confident in Petty/Hack being the backup. To cut him now would be moronic. 

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You people are so dramatic.

"Everything that has happened"

As in what? The Jets took a hard stance on contract offers to bring back the starting QB from last year, so he could be the starting QB this year. Making Geno the backup again. So, he's in the exact same situation he was in last year?

If they're going to cut him, it should be because they think he's trash as a player. Not because of the PR manipulated appearance of whatever... Fitz could have been a Jets months ago if he just signed then. He balked at the contracts offers, until he ran out of options and the Jets told him they were done waiting on him.

There is no "everything" that happened. Geno has the same job now that he had last year. Same opportunity to steal Fitz's job too, if he can.

Man your tunnel vision on how the Fitz thing went down is absurd.  Fitz didn't run out of options the NY Jets caved like the spineless organization we have grown to love.  But whatever fits your agenda.

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

You're especially non-sensical today. Windex for the windows, beer for the drinking. Label them if you have to.

And you have come out from whatever rock you have been hiding under and are as pompous as ever.  

Just now, JetBlue said:

I totally get all of that and fully expect that he will be on the team unless Petty or Hackenberg REALLY shines in camp/preseason.  My point is, from a player perspective, he is probably better off getting cut sooner rather than later.  

Totally agree.   Worst thing for him is to be cut 2 weeks before the season starts.  Sooner he leaves, sooner he can catch on with a new team and try to learn a new system.

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

You know exactly what happened with IK you know the entire story funny Macc and Bowles didnt cut Geno they cut IK. 

That's like Stalin defending himself before the World Court with the opening statement, "Hey, folks. At least I ain't Hitler."

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

And you have come out from whatever rock you have been hiding under and are as pompous as ever.  

You know what the legend says, whoever can draw jgb out of the rock shall one day arise to become King of England.

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Partially agree. Petty and Hack both have more potential than Geno. Geno is proven to be a horrific quarterback, while they are unknowns.

But that's not the point. What's best for the Jets is for both of them to sit this season, learn the playbook, and get practice reps. 

This is business, we dont need to do any favors for Geno Smith. 

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Nothing like having to completely misrepresent the other guy's point to make your own. Totally a sign of a strong position. Keep on truckin', Clarence Darrow.

Where have you been Darth?   Have not seen you around these parts; do you feel you need to comment for other people now?   Feel free ignore this thread. 

1 minute ago, Saul Goodman said:

Partially agree. Petty and Hack both have more potential than Geno. Geno is proven to be a horrific quarterback, while they are unknowns.

But that's not the point. What's best for the Jets is for both of them to sit this season, learn the playbook, and get practice reps. 

True.... 

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

Where have you been Darth?   Have not seen you around these parts; do you feel you need to comment for other people now?   Feel free ignore this thread. 

Nah I choose to comment however I wish. Thanks for your input though. It has been carefully considered.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

That's like Stalin defending himself before the World Court with the opening statement, "Hey, folks. At least I ain't Hitler."

Were you in the locker room? Do you know the deal Geno and IK made for his camp?  You do remember Geno had a death of a family member or friend right?  

Please tell us all the FACTS 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Were you in the locker room? Do you know the deal Geno and IK made for his camp?  You do remember Geno had a death of a family member or friend right?  

Please tell us all the FACTS 

Ah the old "unless you have video, you can't comment!"

Bro, we're fans and all commenting from a position of imperfect information. 

3 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Petty and Hack have never taken an NFL snap in a real game they are "what ifs" until they prove something we need a viable backup QB. 

Archived