Macc Do Geno a Favor and Cut him NOW

JetBlue

7 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Why? If Geno SUCKS so much, even Petty and Hack must be better, even now.   According to most of this board, Geno is the worst quarterback in the history of football so no point in keeping him around.  

no. geno isnt the worst qb. he was the worst starting qb. that's why he is now a back up

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, joewilly12 said:

Well because it works for you doesn't mean it works for all of us. Stick to the facts and leave the bedtime stories out of this discussion. 

Sorry can you save the ambiguity for open mic poetry night? I'm not following.

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

2nd round pick starting from day 1 due to injury to starter then backing into starting year 2 after faux competition and then on cusp of "winning" another non-competition in year 3 until his own collossal stupidity opened the door for a journeyman who played his heart out and won the respect of the team that Geno never could.

Doesn't sound like a raw deal to me. Sounds more like Geno folded a straight flush because he couldn't figure out how to put the cards in the right order.

Problem was he was not ready those first two years.   He definitely got ****ed over the IK situation, and has to take responsibility for it.   My only point is, it appears he has little to no support in his own locker room.  That is not really a recipe for success, and I don't know if that damage could ever be repaired; even if Fitz got injured.  Best thing is to part company, at this point.   The guy is still young and I don't think his career is over by a long shot.   If Fitz can find himself in situation like this in his 12 season after never making the playoffs or even winning more than 6 games until last year ( a feat Geno accomplished as a rookie), I am not writing off Geno Smith after just 3 seasons. 

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

Problem was he was not ready those first two years.   He definitely got ****ed over the IK situation, and has to take responsibility for it.   My only point is, it appears he has little to no support in his own locker room.  That is not really a recipe for success, and I don't know if that damage could ever be repaired; even if Fitz got injured.  Best thing is to part company, at this point.   The guy is still young and I don't think his career is over by a long shot.   If Fitz can find himself in situation like this in his 12 season after never making the playoffs or even winning more than 6 games until last year ( a feat Geno accomplished as a rookie), I am not writing off Geno Smith after just 3 seasons. 

Yeah he definitely wasn't ready. From what I read at the time Idzik was influencing sit/start decisions and he was pushing for Geno to start over Sanchez. Rex (reportedly) put Sanchez into Snoopy Bowl to try to convince Idzik to back off of Geno.

That being said, I honestly believe we have for the last time seen the word "Starter" next to Geno's name except due to injury.

18 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Geno Smith has never done anything wrong on or off the field for all the hate the fans show him. He was handed a raw deal from the day he started at QB here. sh*tty head coach sh*tty OC sh*tty WRs he never complained. A locker room altercation in which he was assaulted cost him his starting job he took it eloquently never complaining always being a good teammate on and off the field. 

Releasing him would hurt this team as mentioned if Fitz goes down we have no one. He's under contract for 1 more year as is Fitz then we make a decision. 

Geno Smith is the one who should be asking for his release but obviously so far he's not that kind of player dont understand all the hatred towards him. 

I know why alot of the fans hate him so much, but I'm not going to get into that right now.

Not the time or place, nor am I really in the mood for it

19 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Geno Smith has never done anything wrong on or off the field for all the hate the fans show him. He was handed a raw deal from the day he started at QB here. sh*tty head coach sh*tty OC sh*tty WRs he never complained. A locker room altercation in which he was assaulted cost him his starting job he took it eloquently never complaining always being a good teammate on and off the field. 

Releasing him would hurt this team as mentioned if Fitz goes down we have no one. He's under contract for 1 more year as is Fitz then we make a decision. 

Geno Smith is the one who should be asking for his release but obviously so far he's not that kind of player dont understand all the hatred towards him. 

I swear; a guy like Big Ben can be accused of Rape and  no problem, yet, Geno is the Anti Christ to Jet Fans.  It truly boggles my mind.  And before anyone mentions the obvious, I get it; Ben R. has a Superbowl Ring and is a top 10 Quarterback.  Still rape allegations are much more serious then a locker room dispute.    Even Micheal Vick, a convicted Felon was shown more love than Geno Smith lol.    

2 minutes ago, Nostradamus said:

Oh sure just cut one of the best back ups in the league.....ya right!!  Not a smart idea

Why do you consider him one of the best back ups in the league? Just curious.

5 minutes ago, King P said:

I know why alot of the fans hate him so much, but I'm not going to get into that right now.

I kinda know where you are going with that and you are right, not the time and definitely not the place. 

4 minutes ago, King P said:

no matter what, it always boils down to this. never fails

30 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Geno is a decent quality backup quarterback with starting experience, a cheap contract, and knowledge of the system.  Unless Hackenberg and/or Petty impresses in a very big way over the next few weeks, Geno is not going anywhere this season.

Exactly. Nor should he.

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Why do you consider him one of the best back ups in the league? Just curious.

Not saying he is the BEST back up in the league but he is borderline starter material...took the team to an 8-8 record without the weapons they have now.  He's a HUGE step up from Hackenburg or Petty at this point......so my point was cutting him would not be smart.  Tell me 5 NFL back ups better (and maybe you can idk....but he's def a quality back up)  

20 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Awful suggestion. You cut Geno only after you are confident in Petty/Hack being the backup. To cut him now would be moronic. 

I totally get that, I know he will not be cut until exactly that happens if that happens.  I am simply making a point from player perspective; I KNOW Mac won't cut him at all unless he feels Petty is ready to be the back up.   I am just so tired of the Geno Hate that I wish they would just cut the guy already so folks have to find someone else to sh*t on. 

20 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Totally agree.   Worst thing for him is to be cut 2 weeks before the season starts.  Sooner he leaves, sooner he can catch on with a new team and try to learn a new system.

Who the hell cares what's best for Geno? People concerned with what's best for Geno should start their own Genonation.com message board. 

1 minute ago, Nostradamus said:

Not saying he is the BEST back up in the league but he is borderline starter material...took the team to an 8-8 record without the weapons they have now.  He's a HUGE step up from Hackenburg or Petty at this point......so my point was cutting him would not be smart.  Tell me 5 NFL back ups better (and maybe you can idk....but he's def a quality back up)  

You are actually preaching to the choir.  In fact, I would have had NO problem with him going into the season as the starter assuming there was an open qb competition.  My point really had to do with how the guy is so disrespected by the fans, (his own locker room?) if I were him, I would just say, "get me outta here".   Time for a fresh start. 

25 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Man your tunnel vision on how the Fitz thing went down is absurd.  Fitz didn't run out of options the NY Jets caved like the spineless organization we have grown to love.  But whatever fits your agenda.

You just quoted me where I'm making the argument not to just cut Geno carelessly.

I definitely have an agenda.

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Who the hell cares what's best for Geno? People concerned with what's best for Geno should start their own Genonation.com message board. 

Or maybe people who don't like what was posted can simply ignore it or shut the **** up? 

6 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I totally get that, I know he will not be cut until exactly that happens if that happens.  I am simply making a point from player perspective; I KNOW Mac won't cut him at all unless he feels Petty is ready to be the back up.   I am just so tired of the Geno Hate that I wish they would just cut the guy already so folks have to find someone else to sh*t on. 

Yes, the team should make decisions based upon how a message board conversation makes one feel.

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah with a $600 membership fee.

I am sure there are real haters out there, but I, for one, don't hate Geno (as a player or a person). I, like many, think that Fitz gives the Jets the best chance to win. No hatred there. By the same way that I think that Geno give the Jets the best chance to win over Petty or Hack this year; therefore, you don't get rid of one of the better back-ups just to 'do the right thing'; Geno can walk after this season. It may not be fair, but it is what it is.

As far as getting a raw deal and do nothing wrong; he handled the situation with IK poorly - even many teammates came out and said that he egged IK on - he didn't deserve to be punched, but at the same time he 'did nothing wrong' is a bit of a whitewash of the situation. He also, apparently, interviewed poorly which had him drafted by the Jets in the 2nd round instead of going somewhere else. He had bad coaching and WR, but the Sanchez haters on this board didn't seem to care. Also, look at Hack, he should have left Penn St. instead of staying and got screwed by coaches and a lack of talent. That is the reality of the situation.

Either way, you don't get rid of a cheap quality backup because you feel bad for him. He will have his chance for a fresh start next year.

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

You are actually preaching to the choir.  In fact, I would have had NO problem with him going into the season as the starter assuming there was an open qb competition.  My point really had to do with how the guy is so disrespected by the fans, (his own locker room?) if I were him, I would just say, "get me outta here".   Time for a fresh start. 

If he did that those same fans that want him gone would still be bashing him calling him unprofessional and every name in the book.

Geno can't do anything right here. It really is best he goes somewhere else.

6 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Ya hes def disrespected by the fans for sure....but thats life in the big city.   As far as the locker room goes, i think Geno is respected.  From all the things I heard they were fully prepared to go into the season with him as the starter and he looked good and was acting like a leader.  But the thing is you don't bring back your starter from last year who threw 31 TDs and are paying 12 million to be your back up...its not a slight against Geno, its just good business.  The Jets are now in my opinion solid at every single position on the field.  Its a good thing to have 2 starter caliber QBs....sh*t happens and you never know when you need your #2 to step up.  Geno can get his shot at any time and if/when he does he must be ready.

Like with Fitz there are no starting Qbs jobs in the NFL. There are some good opportunities as a backup like with Seattle. Actually imo he's better and has more experience than a good number of no. 2's in the NFL. I don't think Geno wants to leave. If he really does and made a big deal about it they'd probably let him go. But he has a better chance to play this year on the Jets than another team. And there is no Qb competition for backup. He's no. 2. Next year another story. 

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

I know this is a business, but after everything that has happened I find it very difficult to see how Geno can co exist on this roster.  I am sure he, like most players, read the papers, listen to the radio, watch espn etc. and all we have read all off season is the tremendous support Fitz has among the Jets players like Marshall, Decker, Mangold, Forte etc.   He has to constantly hear how he sucks and is the worst quarterback in the history of football etc, etc. 

The hand writing is on the wall; there is no reason to have the guy on the team at this point; if Petty shows ANYTHING, he should be the back up.  Do the right thing Macc and put Geno out of his misery but cutting him now and letting him try and latch on with another team.   His days as a NY Jet are really over and maybe that is the best thing for his future.  

I am going to root for Fitz to do well but I can tell you now, I am not excited at all to see him back; I would have liked to see what Geno could have become with this offense. That is now water under the bridge.  For me, the countdown begins for the Hackenberg Era. 

Nope. Doesn't make sense to me. You either keep 4 QBs or you cut Petty. It all depends on how much faith you have that Petty can develop into a legit NFL starter- that's on Macc and the coaching staff to decide.

As far as Geno, he is easily the best backup option the Jets  have, and a cheap one at that. 

Here's a VERY possible scenario that could totally change the 'writing on the wall'. Fitz gets hurt. Geno takes over and plays great/wins games. That's it. That's all it will take for Geno to end up being the starting QB on this team, possibly for a long time. Is it so hard to believe that this could happen?

If FItz gets hurt early and is out for 3-4 weeks and Geno steps in and wins 3-4 games and plays well, I don't think Bowles benches him when FItz is ready to go. It would make o sense. The fact that Fitz is only signed for one year means there's no REAL commitment to either Fitz or Geno beyond this season. 

Conversely, if Fitz gets hurt and Geno was cut, you are hoping Petty does well. Which is possible, but A LOT less likely than Geno doing well. If Petty has to come in and the Jets lose 3-4 games b/c he isn't ready, well, there goes the season.     

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

I know this is a business....

If you know that, stop whining.  Geno will make an excellent #2 QB this year, and when his contract ends, he'll have the freedom to move on.

We owe Geno nothing whatsoever.  Quite the contrary.

Nice to see evidence tho that you put Geno fandom ahead of Jets fandom, because keeping Geno as the #2 is whats best for the Jets.  

Archived