Official Training Camp Thread 7/28

Villain The Foe

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who thinks Geno will be cut this season is bonkers. He's absolutely the #2 QB at the start of the season. And by week 6 he may even be playing. The Jets are in a good position to have a #2 who could potentially even start. Petty is most likely out. Hack #3.

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

It might. Im betting that Geno can do it. However, he just cant be "a little better". He has to look like the clear cut better QB. This is also something we've never seen Geno. As a supporter even I have to admit to that. I think he can do it, but thinking and doing...two different things. 

I think if Fitz had not played for us last year, then I would think the better QB would have won in a competition.  But because last year is on the books and the relations formed, I think it's essentially an injury only situation to atleast start the season.  I think, barring the Geno injury, the competition would have been legit, but no longer the case. 

The usual cases where the somewhat high paid veteran is over-taken by the younger guy is when the staff and players have no exposure to either of the players.  Flynn/Wilson, Schuabb/Carr, etc

As for losing trust in the coaching staff, I haven't lost trust.  I've lost some trust in McCagnan, because he essentially negotiated to the last minute only to end up with Fitz's terms anyway.  To me, that shows a lack of testicular fortitude to stand by his initial decisions.  He even caved in on the Lee negotiations.   Unfortunately, this is one of the downsides of hiring a talent scout type guy, because they aren't great at negotiations.  Unfortunately, we've seen the other end with Idzik as well, so this is the better end of the sword.  I can't blame Bowles, because with the money and commitment, they can't do anything but start Fitz.  He's getting paid starter money, coming off a successful season.

6 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I don't see the FO investing long term in Fitz after this year, which doesn't leave many other options. Maybe Fitz plays on another one year contract. 

Me either, but they havent shown anything worth getting somewhat excited about when it comes to Geno. I agree that they should have, but they havent. If Fitz doesnt get injured then Geno may not have an opportunity to show anything. Granted, they can see him during practice but then we also have to think about how Geno is going to feel about the organization after the way this has transpired. 

3 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I think if Fitz had not played for us last year, then I would think the better QB would have won in a competition.  But because last year is on the books and the relations formed, I think it's essentially an injury only situation to atleast start the season.  I think, barring the Geno injury, the competition would have been legit, but no longer the case. 

The usual cases where the somewhat high paid veteran is over-taken by the younger guy is when the staff and players have no exposure to either of the players.  Flynn/Wilson, Schuabb/Carr, etc

As for losing trust in the coaching staff, I haven't lost trust.  I've lost some trust in McCagnan, because he essentially negotiated to the last minute only to end up with Fitz's terms anyway.  To me, that shows a lack of testicular fortitude to stand by his initial decisions.  He even caved in on the Lee negotiations.   Unfortunately, this is one of the downsides of hiring a talent scout type guy, because they aren't great at negotiations.  Unfortunately, we've seen the other end with Idzik as well, so this is the better end of the sword.  I can't blame Bowles, because with the money and commitment, they can't do anything but start Fitz.  He's getting paid starter money, coming off a successful season.

I literally just wrote that to another poster regarding the injury aspect of it. 

42 minutes ago, Larz said:

I'm sure it was a response to a question.  probably dick bag myers, dick bag cimini or dick bad mehta or dick bag the fat guy. 

Kudos on the use of the term,  "Dickbag"  ? 

53 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Bowles had to do it, not because he was told but Fitz ended the season as the starter. As long as we dont got into week 1 feeling that "Bowles is sitting the better QB" then im fine about today. 

Geno definitely had a better TC today. If he continues and shows it in preseason then I will watch Bowles decision like a hawk. 

Hawk_eye.jpg

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

You're the only one collecting imaginary stats based on pass-by-pass tweets on day one.

The only one. 

Emo. Petty. Doofus.

The only thing better than draft Twitter...is training camp Twitter.

These poor 23 year old beat writers hyping up Geno Smith in a non padded practice. 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

The only thing better than draft Twitter...is training camp Twitter.

These poor 23 year old beat writers hyping up Geno Smith in a non padded practice. 

you think they might want a QB controversy ?  in NY ?

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

I'm doing the reverse psychology this year.  Ho hum, it's only practice .

HELL YEAH DEXTER!!!!  Oh wait was that my outside voice? 

Psyched for him..I freaking loved his college film. I hope he continues to shine.

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

Me thinks you think too much

Geno will be traded by 1st game....no sense keeping him as he will walk next year...no way he re-ups with jets...Mac will get value while he can if he is smart and we get lucky with a team suddenly in need!

Great read after work, thanks to all of the posters, Glenn and KRL on the twitter, Max for the site, Santa, etc...

2 year cap spread splains Fitzmagic deal, nice work Mac

Geno growing up before our eyes, professional, nice to see

Team chemistry and BFF type of childish excitement is a very good sign in the home of the...  JETS!

2 hours ago, Colgateman said:

Bowles has shown he is one of those, " I only want players I like playing" just like when he kept on trotting Anotnio cromartie out there last season and lettign him get burnt for atleast a TD a game because he liked him

It's Bowles job to lose, I can't really blame coaches for trotting the guys that they trust out there.  If it fails, it's the end of their career at that place.

A few quick notes that I might post at the top of tomorrow's camp thread.

1) The typos...sorry about those.  Between the glare on my phone from the sun and trying to get tweets out as quickly as possible, there were wayyy more than there should have been.

2) Will be tweeting live again tomorrow but not much early on.  Trying to do photography for the site along with tweeting.  Photography is limited to the first 30-40 minutes of practice so that'll be my primary focus.   If you're seeing a bunch of tweets from other writers but noting from JN early on, that's why.  Once the Jets staffers tell us "cameras down", it'll be 100% tweeting.

3) If, for some reason the updates stop, it'll be because of the heat.  My phone got so hot out there today that it nearly shut down.  Screen went to some auto "about to die" feature and brightness dipped to around 30% so I could barely see my own screen.  Kept waiting for it to shut down but it hung in there.

4) If you see a tweet about a great play or something of significance that you don't see from JN, it's because there's so much going on that between watching plays, looking down at the phone to tweet, and looking back up...another play has taken place while I was looking down.  I'll try to do a better job of keeping my head on a swivel moving forward.

J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

3 hours ago, Colgateman said:

Bowles has shown he is one of those, " I only want players I like playing" just like when he kept on trotting Anotnio cromartie out there last season and lettign him get burnt for atleast a TD a game because he liked him

Sorry. Disagree and how do you know who he "likes" or dislikes?  

And 2nd half of the season Cro played well. 

10 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Ya extremely disappointed in Bowles right now.

His boss just shoveled over 12mil guaranteed to Fitz yesterday.  OverTheCap.com shows us already over the cap in 2017 now.  It's sad, but short of Fitz losing both arms in some tragic accident, Fitz is gonna start at least the first 5 or so games.

After 7 months pulling for Geno, I'm now towing the company line and rooting for Fitz.  (Though it's awesome hearing Geno is kickin' ass.)  I would much rather say I was completely wrong this whole offseason regarding letting Fitz walk, instead of being able to say I was right as the team wastes 12mil and the early part of the season.

Let's hope it's 1st day jitters for Fitz.  Because based on reports from today, the QB depth chart would be:

1. Geno
  2. Hack
  3. Fitz
  4. Petty

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

His boss just shoveled over 12mil guaranteed to Fitz yesterday.  OverTheCap.com shows us already over the cap in 2017 now.  It's sad, but short of Fitz losing both arms in some tragic accident, Fitz is gonna start at least the first 5 or so games.

After 7 months pulling for Geno, I'm now towing the company line and rooting for Fitz.  (Though it's awesome hearing Geno is kickin' ass.)  I would much rather say I was completely wrong this whole offseason regarding letting Fitz walk, instead of being able to say I was right as the team wastes 12mil and the early part of the season.

Let's hope it's 1st day jitters for Fitz.  Because based on reports from today, the QB depth chart would be:

1. Geno
  2. Hack
  3. Fitz
  4. Petty

It's not 1st day jitters, it's 12th year same old same old, just over paid same old same old.

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

1. Geno
  2. Hack
  3. Fitz
  4. Petty

I give Fitz a lot of credit.. By signing a one yr deal they are NOT going to cater to him. Once the playoff picture looks dim Fitz is out.. Mac will want to see geno or petty in there auditioning for 17.. They are going to want to see some live play from those guys to figure out what the hec to do about the qb situation next yr.. Doubt they will be comfortable going with petty/hackenberg on top of the depth chart before either takes a live regular season snap.. Geno may be the bridge next yr.. Mac isn't going to go through this crap again with Fitz..

5 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I give Fitz a lot of credit.. By signing a one yr deal they are NOT going to cater to him. Once the playoff picture looks dim Fitz is out.. Mac will want to see geno or petty in there auditioning for 17.. They are going to want to see some live play from those guys to figure out what the hec to do about the qb situation next yr.. Doubt they will be comfortable going with petty/hackenberg on top of the depth chart before either takes a live regular season snap.. Geno may be the bridge next yr.. Mac isn't going to go through this crap again with Fitz..

Why would Geno EVER re-sign here?  And the Jets would never place the franchise tag on Geno so no matter what happens this year if Fitz starts the year as QB, he will, Geno is 1, and done, hopefully Fitz is 1, and done, and the Jets are in a much worse situation come January 2017 then they were yesterday afternoon. 

Ah yes, always one of the most comical days of the year around here.  Nothing like seeing folks desperately trying to push their own agenda based on a grand total of one practice, the very first at that.  It doesn't even matter if the argument being made is in favor of a player I like / against one I dislike, it's still completely moronic.  The beat writers are clueless enough on their own, they really don't need an assist in that department.

Archived