Geno is 'pissed off'

CanadaSteve

Good.  If this is the case, he will bring his best.  If his best means he outright wins the starting job, better for the team.  If he cannot, we fully and completely move on from him, we play Fitzpatrick, and we hope Petty or Hackenberg work out.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/61567/jets-qb-geno-smith-mad-but-eager-to-resurrect-hard-luck-career

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing wrong with what he said. It would be more concerning if he was fine with what transpired.

As for him winning the job - it's not going to happen regardless of how he looks in camp. The Jets didn't just pay $12M to Fitz to turn around and admit Geno is the better QB

Just now, shuler82 said:

Nothing wrong with what he said. It would be more concerning if he was fine with what transpired.

As for him winning the job - it's not going to happen regardless of how he looks in camp. The Jets didn't just pay $12M to Fitz to turn around and admit Geno is the better QB

Oh, I like what he said.  But the Jets had better watch how they do this.  If Geno is MILES above Ryan during the off-season, you cannot prance him out on the field just because you spent $12 million on an insurance policy.

Well, it's not that simple. 

No matter how well Geno does in camp and pre-season the starting job will still go to Fitz once the season starts. You know Fitz won't be absolutely abysmal in camp and that (or an injury) is what it will take for the Jets to go with Geno. The Jets didn't sign Fitz to be a backup. They signed him to start and play the way he did last season.

It sucks. Geno was primed for a breakout year. Ever since being drafted he was never really set up to succeed until now...and odds are he won't even be given an opportunity.

Other than a Fitz injury, the only chance Geno has to play is if Fitz absolutely stinks it up early in the season. Which is possible considering the teams we play. If Geno plays well in camp and preseason, I think Fitz will have a short leash. That is Geno's best bet.   

I will say that, as someone who really wanted to see what Geno can do this season, bringing back Fitz makes the QB position for the Jets that much stronger. Whoever starts, at least I have SOME confidence in the backup. 

Geno needs to keep working hard, have a great camp and be happy he is the back up during the brutal beginning to this schedule. It the Jets are 4 and 2 they are going to the playoffs. If they are 1 and 5, Geno will get a shot this year.

He has every right to be pissed off.  He's been here all offseason, putting in the work, and his opportunity to start was just swept away by someone brought in at the last minute.  If he wasn't pissed off, that would speak volumes about him as a competitor.

He simply needs to hang in there and continue to work hard.  Make it impossible for the coaches to ignore you this summer.  Your next opportunity could be just a snap away.  You never know when your number is going to be called again.

Geno was not dealt a great hand in the world of football, but as we know they are billions of people in the world worse off.

Coming from a college offense that was not of an NFL level, he was asked to start as a rookie, before his mind and body were ready.  It was not pretty.   He was finally given a change to be the starter, and he stiffed a teammate.  Now he starts over.

I believe Woody Johnson was behind the Fitz signing.  He has tickets to sell.  He and the Jets can now tell their fans that they did their best to put a competitive team on the field, even if the Jets brass knew that Geno was finally mentally and physically developing into a player that could have been valuable.  Even if only for his last contract year.

I would feel alot better if Fitz was training this past offseason as hard as Geno was.

Geno will play this year.  Fitz will get hurt-its guaranteed.  Geno will be able to show the NFL what he has to offer.  But I want nothing more than for Fitz to step in and play as well as he did last year.  But if he does not, I hope that the Jets are not too stubborn and switch horses if its appropriate.  As we know, funny things in the NFL happen every year.  Look at Brock Osweiler.   Politically, the Jets are stuck with Fitz for the intiial X games, barring true abysmal performance or injury.  But I think any commitment there expires.

One thing to think about:  the entire NFL has had an entire off season to watch Fitz in Gailey's offense.   It will be very hard for him to duplicate what he did last year.   When Geno does come in, he will play better than people think-the opponents are not prepared.  

21 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

He said nothing bad.  I'd rather someone want the job, and have some fire.

"I'm not disappointed. I'm kind of pissed off, but it's not a detrimental thing," he said. "It's not something where I'm pissed off at anyone, because we all want to be in there. ... This just adds fuel to the fire, but not in a negative way.

"I don't want to be a headline because it's not what I'm trying to say. It's more as a competitor, as a quarterback, knowing what I'm capable of and really believing in myself, knowing the work I put in. You want to be out there, but you have to play with the cards you're dealt."

Wide receiver Brandon Marshall, who considers himself a big brother to Smith, pulled him aside for a heart-to-heart.

"As a competitor, I would be crushed, because I want to be on the field,” Marshall said. “I love Geno. When this kid gets an opportunity, he’s not going to look back and he’s not going to let it go.”

combine that with a really strong showing yesterday, and I would say this is very encouraging and exactly what I would want to see from him

20 minutes ago, varjet said:

Geno was not dealt a great hand in the world of football, but as we know they are billions of people in the world worse off.

Coming from a college offense that was not of an NFL level, he was asked to start as a rookie, before his mind and body were ready.  It was not pretty.   He was finally given a change to be the starter, and he stiffed a teammate.  Now he starts over.

I believe Woody Johnson was behind the Fitz signing.  He has tickets to sell.  He and the Jets can now tell their fans that they did their best to put a competitive team on the field, even if the Jets brass knew that Geno was finally mentally and physically developing into a player that could have been valuable.  Even if only for his last contract year.

I would feel alot better if Fitz was training this past offseason as hard as Geno was.

Geno will play this year.  Fitz will get hurt-its guaranteed.  Geno will be able to show the NFL what he has to offer.  But I want nothing more than for Fitz to step in and play as well as he did last year.  But if he does not, I hope that the Jets are not too stubborn and switch horses if its appropriate.  As we know, funny things in the NFL happen every year.  Look at Brock Osweiler.   Politically, the Jets are stuck with Fitz for the intiial X games, barring true abysmal performance or injury.  But I think any commitment there expires.

One thing to think about:  the entire NFL has had an entire off season to watch Fitz in Gailey's offense.   It will be very hard for him to duplicate what he did last year.   When Geno does come in, he will play better than people think-the opponents are not prepared.  

Good post. Three things struck me.

#1 Woody. I agree, this was, indeed a Woody move. Not that the coaching staff or Macc didn't want Fitz back after a great season, but I think Bowles has faith in Gailey and Gailey has faith in Geno. In that regard, I think both were ready to go into the season with Geno at the helm. Macc obviously didn't want to pay Fitz, so if Bowles and Gailey are on board with Geno, Macc would have been as well. What's interesting is this very well MAY (sadly) turn into a situation where the owner (once again) steps in and causes the Franchise to take a step back. If Geno doesn't get a chance to play and the Jets don't find out what he can do with a good team, having a full season off to learn the system and correct his mistakes, they will have to let him go- and Geno could very well blossom elsewhere.  Meanwhile, if the Jets don't get into the playoffs with Fitz (again), the Jets will be stuck with a loser at QB and will lose a potentially good QB in Geno (I know, that sounds crazy, lol). And Woody's decision making will be to blame. Of course, things may not turn out this way. But how sad would it be if they did. At least there's Hack?  

#2. There really is NO guarantee that Fitz gets hurt. He's shown that he is tough and plays hurt. He got hurt last season (pretty seriously) and still, all Geno got was a few quarters against the Raiders.

#3. Fitz will have a short leash this season if Geno lights it up in camp and preseason. Ironically, being the starting QB to start the season may be a bad thing for him due to the tough schedule. If Fitz struggles early against great teams and the Jets lose 4 of 6 for example, I would not be surprised if Bowles decides to put Geno in. Which would be great for Geno, as he gets to skip the toughest games on the schedule.   

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

The reality is we will likely need Geno to play at some point whether short term or long term.  it's hard to stay healthy in this league and though we hope Fitz plays 16 games who knows?

The way our offensive line looks we may need Geno to start at some point this season.

You Geno-fanatics should forget about that guy and start rooting for Petty and Hackenberg to have great camps and to develop over the next year. Geno is done, he's not part of this team's future.

I like Fitz a lot (for this season) but the two young guys developing is THE most important thing for the Jets. 

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Oh, I like what he said.  But the Jets had better watch how they do this.  If Geno is MILES above Ryan during the off-season, you cannot prance him out on the field just because you spent $12 million on an insurance policy.

This. Best man gets the job, regardless of salary.

29 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

You Geno-fanatics should forget about that guy and start rooting for Petty and Hackenberg to have great camps and to develop over the next year. Geno is done, he's not part of this team's future.

I like Fitz a lot (for this season) but the two young guys developing is THE most important thing for the Jets. 

I am going to root for Petty, hackenburg, Fitz AND Geno to all play great.

25 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

This. Best man gets the job, regardless of salary.

I hope that is the case.  Hopefully the Jets are familiarizing themselves with the Wilson/Flynn situation in Seattle, and how Pete Carroll handled that, and note that it led to a Super Bowl.

Not that this is the same thing.  Geno despite his historical lack of field smarts can throw the ball downfield.  There are other very functional QBs in the NFL that also lack smarts but can chuck the ball.  The deep threat changes the way defenses can play.

2 hours ago, shuler82 said:

apparently only Pete Carroll has those kind of balls.  Look how that turned out.

16 minutes ago, varjet said:

I hope that is the case.  Hopefully the Jets are familiarizing themselves with the Wilson/Flynn situation in Seattle, and how Pete Carroll handled that, and note that it led to a Super Bowl.

Not that this is the same thing.  Geno despite his historical lack of field smarts can throw the ball downfield.  There are other very functional QBs in the NFL that also lack smarts but can chuck the ball.  The deep threat changes the way defenses can play.

5 minutes ago, Pac said:

apparently only Pete Carroll has those kind of balls.  Look how that turned out.

Ah the Flynn/Wilson comparison.  That would be a good one to make, except this one is nothing like that at all. 

Russell Wilson was so impressive in camp, practice and preseason from DAY 1 of his career (Geno has been in the league for 4 years) that Pete Carroll had no other choice but to go with Wilson.  It wasn't the "ballsy" decision to go with Wilson.  It became the easy one. 

Going with Geno would be truly ballsy, because despite 2 years of training camp and practice watching Geno play, he's done nothing to impress this coaching staff or GM.  They've brought in 3 new QB's to the fold because of how unimpressive he's been. 

Not to mention, Matt Flynn made his money off of one game in the Packers system, whereas Fitz has a career track record (including a very strong season last year) under an OC with which he has tons of familiarity.

In short, it's never going to happen, and would be the wrong decision to make anyways.  But nice try guys.

2 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

He has every right to be pissed off.  He's been here all offseason, putting in the work, and his opportunity to start was just swept away by someone brought in at the last minute.  If he wasn't pissed off, that would speak volumes about him as a competitor.

He simply needs to hang in there and continue to work hard.  Make it impossible for the coaches to ignore you this summer.  Your next opportunity could be just a snap away.  You never know when your number is going to be called again.

Really?  Does that mean every defensive lineman on the roster should be PO'ed at Mo because they were here during the offseason and he was not?  Get the heck out of here.  There was a contract negotiation in progress and players not under contract ARE NOT ALLOWED to be here.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Ah the Flynn/Wilson comparison.  That would be a good one to make, except this one is nothing like that at all.  Russell Wilson was so impressive in camp and practice that Pete Carroll had no other choice but to go with Wilson.  It wasn't the "ballsy" decision to go with Wilson.  It became the easy one.  Going with Geno would be truly ballsy, because despite 2 years of training camp and practice watching Geno play, he's done nothing to impress this coaching staff or GM.  They've brought in 3 new QB's to the fold because of how unimpressive he's been. 

Not to mention, Matt Flynn made his money off of one game in the Packers system, whereas Fitz has a career track record (including a very strong season last year) under an OC with which he has tons of familiarity.

Nice try guys.

he has a track record of choke jobs, crappy play, and occasional mediocrity.  

You're under some bizarre spell.  It's really weird.

1 minute ago, Pac said:

he has a track record of choke jobs, crappy play, and occasional mediocrity.  

You're under some bizarre spell.  It's really weird.

And you're an unreasonable hater, while supporting yet another terrible QB (which has been your track record.  See:  Pennington and Sanchez).  It's cute.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ah the Flynn/Wilson comparison.  That would be a good one to make, except this one is nothing like that at all.  Russell Wilson was so impressive in camp and practice that Pete Carroll had no other choice but to go with Wilson.  It wasn't the "ballsy" decision to go with Wilson.  It became the easy one.  Going with Geno would be truly ballsy, because despite 2 years of training camp and practice watching Geno play, he's done nothing to impress this coaching staff or GM.  They've brought in 3 new QB's to the fold because of how unimpressive he's been. 

Nice try guys.

Carroll's decision was after the fact (training camp, preseason). 

It's ballsy for Geno today because we've only had 1 day of TC, which from reports Geno appeared to be the most impressive. If Geno is the better QB throughout training camp and the preseason then it wont be as ballsy as making the decision on July 29th, the 2nd day of training camp, especially from a performance standpoint.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And you're an unreasonable hater, while supporting yet another terrible QB (which has been your track record.  See:  Pennington and Sanchez).  It's cute.

Pennington and sanchez, 5 playoff apps btw them, 6 playoff wins, 2 title games, 1 div title.

that's 5 more playoff apps than Fitz, 6 more playoff wins, 2 more title games and 1 more div title.

some people want to win games not fantasy championships

The headline said "angry" but I didn't get that from the article. He's handling it well. But nothing is unfair. They've told him all along he's the backup. It's good that he's competitive. He has a good chance of playing in 2016 like he did last year. He mentions South Florida so its a place he has feelings for. It's where he grew up. That could be his next destination and a place with some opportunity. Tannenbaum didn't draft Geno but they might need a backup next year and somebody who could start if Tannehill continues to struggle.  

Archived