Geno is 'pissed off'

CanadaSteve

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Well you just cant make the assumption that the Jets are unified in their QB opinion. There are in fact 4 peoples opinions in play here:

Bowles

Mac

Gailey

Woody

There is no question in my mind that Bowles, (being the stereotypical defensive coach in many ways) wants the veteran even if the upside of the young guy is better

Mac I believe wants Hack in 2017 and probably views Geno and Fitz as equal in 2016

There is also no question in my mind that Gailey prefers Geno

Woody wants whatever is best for attendance this year.

Results months of ambivalence and a standoff. In the end, Woody probably said to give Bowles what he wants for this year.

Can't make assumptions the big 4 are not unified either bro

Fitz > Geno

outside of a small % of strange Geno fanboys that refuse to acknowledge anything other than Geno belongs in Canton with a wall all to himself ... Reasonable minded fans see this 

I could care less what he thinks. The very second the punch happened, every fan should have been done with him just like myself. He's not smart enough to understand pro style defenses, he's never been able to go through progressions to find 2nd, 3rd, 4th options, etc. He consistently makes rookie mistakes over and over again, He did it in 2015, his 3rd year in the league no less, he takes points off the board by taking the offense out of scoring range by either taking a dumb sack, running out of bounds. Essentially he cannot walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.

So building up to the punch, he could not have been high on anyone's respect list.

Now, I just hope the Jets can get Bryce Petty on track. Because if he can, Geno finally gets cut. His walking papers have been long overdue. Geno is the last and worst break in the chain of team chemistry and harmony.

20 hours ago, BroadwayJets said:

I was surprised when I first saw this that Cimini didn't spin this into a whole new fiasco. He praised Geno for how well he's handled things since the punch.

Geno will be just another heap on the pile of QB's poorly developed by this franchise.  Under no control of his, he gets drafted to  a JETS team with a coach who couldn't help develop Joe Montana. REX is the anti QB coach.

Bad timing...if Geno were drafted under Gailey... I believe his physical skills would have made him superior to Fitz.

18 hours ago, varjet said:

I hope that is the case.  Hopefully the Jets are familiarizing themselves with the Wilson/Flynn situation in Seattle, and how Pete Carroll handled that, and note that it led to a Super Bowl.

Not that this is the same thing.  Geno despite his historical lack of field smarts can throw the ball downfield.  There are other very functional QBs in the NFL that also lack smarts but can chuck the ball.  The deep threat changes the way defenses can play.

Hopefully he fixed his accuracy issues when it comes to throwing deep. Geno has a lot to improve on, including reading defenses, not fumbling the ball while running around , taking 20-30 yard sacks, and taking sacks in the end zone. I don't care who emerges out of the young QB's and hopefully becomes our long term starter, as long as it is one of them. 

12 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Geno has alot to work hard for.  We currently have 3 young and cheap QBs. 

• Whoever steps up will be the #2 behind Fitz and will become the starter if Fitz is injured.  (Likely Geno)
  • Also the #2 has an opportunity to be the starter next year when Fitz' contract expires.  (Likely Geno)
  • Whoever finishes 3rd makes the team and has a chance to compete for the starting job next year. (Likely Hackenberg)
  • Whoever finishes 4th is likely moving to the practice squad, or released. (Likely Petty).

If Hackenberg, or Petty progress in camp this year and show they can be the starter next year Geno is at risk, since Fitz will be a better backup and mentor than Geno.

I love the depth that Macc has created on this team at almost all the positions.  Finding a franchise quarterback is like rolling the dice,  there are no guarantees you're going to find "the guy" even with a first round draft pick, so why not give yourself as many chances as possible to find a winner.

I agree with the whole post except the bold. While I'd be surprised if Petty or Hack overtook him for the #2 job, he's in the last year of his deal and he's gonna be playing somewhere else next year if he finishes this season as the #2. The only way Geno is on the Jets next year -and it's the longest of long shots- is if he takes over the starting job and plays surprisingly well. 

Petty is the most likely odd man out but I hope they figure out a way to hold onto him. I think they should be able to slip him onto their practice squad, but it is a risk. 

Bottom line is the Jets had to sign Fitz. If Geno started and stunk up the field or even played decent and the team was say 2 and 4 the media and fans would be all over the shoulda signed Fitz. They are smarter than that and when Foles became available it was game time for Fitz and the Jets to make the move or move on. This will be the true test for Fitz in that the first few games are brutal even compared to the Superbowl champs. They have the Cards, the Fish, Bills, and Texans. Don't know why but it is what it is. Seems relatively soft compared to the Jets schedule. I team that didn't even make the playoffs. Figure that one out. None the less Geno is the best at #2 compared to the rest. I think he may have been ready this year but to save face for the fans and the media Fitz had to be signed. Just hoping he can repeat or be even better than last year. If they go with 3 QBs I would think Petty is the odd man out at this point. All Geno can do at this point is try to disprove the naysayers and perform. If he gets a shot this year it will be do or die for him. Although i think someone will pick him up if the Jets dump him at the end of the year.

On 7/29/2016 at 5:15 PM, DoubleDown said:

When was the last time a franchised player didn't sign their contract and sat out an entire season?  Wilkerson is and always was going to be a Jet this season.

Fitzpatrick's presence on this team was much more questionable.  If reports are to be trusted, the Jets set a deadline and Fitzpatrick showed up to sign the offer on the table at the last minute.

It's really quite simple.  The job was Geno's until the day Fitzpatrick was signed.  He worked hard all offseason, did everything he could to impress the coaching staff and his teammates, then got usurped the day before camp by a guy who has been MIA all year.  If he didn't get a little pissed off, I would have to question his competitive nature and drive to be a professional football player.  It's human nature.

In any case, I'm done talking about the feelings of the backup quarterback, which in my opinion are completely understandable and expected.

The reports I read seem to make it clear that the Jets moved off their position at the last minute and then set a deadline for Fitzpatrick to sign the new offer.  Fitzpatrick signed before THAT deadline expired.  It is not as if he signed the deal that was out on the table for months just because the Jets set a deadline.

You say The Geno worked hard and tried to impress the coaching staff.  Maybe he did try to impress them but he didn't succeed well enough obviously.

Other players understand and support their fellow players during contract disputes.  They do this because they for damned sure want other players to respect them when it is THEIR time to negotiate a new deal.  The idea that Fitz's teammates are pissed at him because he has been out taking care of business is silly.  If you polled the Jets locker room about who felt that way it would come out as about 95-1 in favor of #14.

• 2 months later...
On 7/29/2016 at 11:59 AM, Maxman said:

Geno needs to keep working hard, have a great camp and be happy he is the back up during the brutal beginning to this schedule. It the Jets are 4 and 2 they are going to the playoffs. If they are 1 and 5, Geno will get a shot this year.

Spot on, Max.

On 7/29/2016 at 11:59 AM, Maxman said:

Geno needs to keep working hard, have a great camp and be happy he is the back up during the brutal beginning to this schedule. It the Jets are 4 and 2 they are going to the playoffs. If they are 1 and 5, Geno will get a shot this year.

Wow thanks to those that gave me rep for this post. Pretty scary.

Archived