KRL Camp Notes (7/29/16)

KRL

General Notes

- Players in shorts & shells.  This weekend the pads go on

- Practice ran 2.5 hours

- The media really thinned out today after everyone got their Fitzpatrick story

- The same players were out Forte, Wilkerson, Carpenter, Devin Smith, Khiry Robinson and
Giacomini.  Also I never saw Sheldon Richardson today

- Brant Boyer (STC) had three stations set up today to practice different aspects of 
blocking punts.  Also to work on kick off return blocking assignments he used trash
cans again to simulate tacklers

- They started to emphasize running plays today which was surprising without pads on

- Was very interesting to hear Karl Dorrell (WR coach) instruct the young WR's through
various routes (stutter go, drags) and being precise in getting proper depth

Player Notes

- Jordan Jenkins (OLB) is starting to "stack" practices together.  He had another good one
today with his highlight being a "scoop & score" of a Fitzpatrick fumble during 11 on 11

- Juston Burris (CB) also is starting to "stack" practices together.  Very good coverage 
again and his highlights were a red zone break up of a pass to Brandon Marshall and a
near INT of Hackenberg during 7 on 7's.  He just couldn't come up with it as he dove

- Jalin Marshall (WR) also is "stacking" practices together.  Again he has that "Chrebet
vibe" where he seems to be always open

- Leonard Williams had a very "loud" practice with multiple "tackles for loss" during
11 on 11

- Bilal Powell stood out showing the quickness we saw at the end of last year and making
one handed catches on screen passes.  With Forte out and an emphasis on the running game
Dominique Williams and Romar Morris got extra reps.  They both flashed with their quickness
and Morris broke off a 40+ yard TD run in 11 on 11.  Let's see if they can keep it up when
the pads go on

- Darron Lee showed off his speed today particularly when the defense went to their 
inside blitz packages 

- Steve McLendon disrupted the middle of the running game with a couple of TFL's

- Buster Skrine had a sweet leaping INT of Fitzpatrick during 7 on 7's

- Robby Anderson (WR) who I mentioned yesterday has a way to go in his route running.
Dorrell had him doing extra reps on the things he didn't like

QB's

- Good day for Fitzpatrick as the rust starts to come off.  Very good in the intermediate
area and he was particularly sharp throwing the "back shoulder" to Brandon Marshall
and Kenbrell Thompkins.  He also threw a TD to Thompkins in an end of game situation

- Smith was solid again his highlights were a 50+ yard TD to Thompkins during 7 on 7's.
And a 40+ yard completion to Kyle Williams during 11 on 11

- Petty had a very nondescript day, no big plays no major mistakes

- Hackenberg's best play was a "near catch" by Charone Peake on a 50+ yard bomb which
he dropped.  For some reason the ball comes out of his hand with a wobble on some of
his throws.  Hopefully that will be corrected

Daily Standouts

- Jordan Jenkins
- Juston Burris
- Jalin Marshall
- Leonard Williams
- Bilal Powell

Nice to hear about Williamson. I'm expecting big things from him and McLendon. Williamson is going to be a pass rushing force this year.

McLendon is going to do just fine replacing Snacks. Great value signing by MAc. Last year Pitts' yards per rush was down over a yard when he was in at nose compared to when he was not. 

19 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I've noticed KRL has been stacking strong camp reports for more than a few years now. 

Hope he doesn't hold out against Mac on his next contract ... A true battle of thoroughbred's !!!

57 minutes ago, KRL said:

This is the big headline. Our beat writers are a bunch of children who would be fired from a halfway reputable college newspaper.

I am getting a boner for Jordan Jenkins.

43 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Nice to hear about Williamson. I'm expecting big things from him and McLendon. Williamson is going to be a pass rushing force this year.

McLendon is going to do just fine replacing Snacks. Great value signing by MAc. Last year Pitts' yards per rush was down over a yard when he was in at nose compared to when he was not. 

Fred "The Hammer" is on the team?   He is a bad man.

Great job!  Thank you

One question, and a comment. 

" Leonard Williams had a very "loud" practice with multiple "tackles for loss" during
11 on 11"

Was that against Qvale?  I read Breno's out.  I like Qvale.  Was wondering how he looks.  That doesn't sound good for him LOL

really nice to see that 4 out of 5 of the standouts were drafted or signed by Macc

50 minutes ago, JETSfan4life_1 said:

Marshal 2.0 is starting to be my favorite UDFA.  KRL is he doing any kick return drills?

One more year at Ohio State and Jalin Marshall is a top ten pick, I really hope he earns a spot and makes up for bad draft advice

Kid should be a rock star - has to work for it now, glad he is a Jet

1 minute ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

One more year at Ohio State and Jalin Marshall is a top ten pick, I really hope he earns a spot and makes up for bad draft advice

Kid should be  a rock star - has to work for it now

This is awesome to hear (as well as KRL's account of him days 1&2 of course) ... The WR3 spot is wide open & just waiting for someone to take it

Thanks for the updates KRL, it's always good to see "KRL Camp Notes" on the main message board list of threads.....thanks again for your reporting, it's much appreciated

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, KRL said:

General Notes

- Players in shorts & shells.  This weekend the pads go on

- Practice ran 2.5 hours

- The same players were out Forte, Wilkerson, Carpenter, Devin Smith, Khiry Robinson and
Giacomini.  Also I never saw Sheldon Richardson today

- Brant Boyer (STC) had three stations set up today to practice different aspects of 
blocking punts.  Also to work on kick off return blocking assignments he used trash
cans again to simulate tacklers

- They started to emphasize running plays today which was surprising without pads on

- Was very interesting to hear Karl Dorrell (WR coach) instruct the young WR's through
various routes (stutter go, drags) and being precise in getting proper depth

Player Notes

- Jordan Jenkins (OLB) is starting to "stack" practices together.  He had another good one
today with his highlight being a "scoop & score" of a Fitzpatrick fumble during 11 on 11

- Juston Burris (CB) also is starting to "stack" practices together.  Very good coverage 
again and his highlights were a red zone break up of a pass to Brandon Marshall and a
near INT of Hackenberg during 7 on 7's.  He just couldn't come up with it as he dove

- Jalin Marshall (WR) also is "stacking" practices together.  Again he has that "Chrebet
vibe" where he seems to be always open

- Leonard Williams had a very "loud" practice with multiple "tackles for loss" during
11 on 11

- Bilal Powell stood out showing the quickness we saw at the end of last year and making
one handed catches on screen passes.  With Forte out and an emphasis on the running game
Dominique Williams and Romar Morris got extra reps.  They both flashed with their quickness
and Morris broke off a 40+ yard TD run in 11 on 11.  Let's see if they can keep it up when
the pads go on

- Darron Lee showed off his speed today particularly when the defense went to their 
inside blitz packages 

- Steve McLendon disrupted the middle of the running game with a couple of TFL's

- Buster Skrine had a sweet leaping INT of Fitzpatrick during 7 on 7's

- Robby Anderson (WR) who I mentioned yesterday has a way to go in his route running.
Dorrell had him doing extra reps on the things he didn't like

QB's

- Good day for Fitzpatrick as the rust starts to come off.  Very good in the intermediate
area and he was particularly sharp throwing the "back shoulder" to Brandon Marshall
and Kenbrell Thompkins.  He also threw a TD to Thompkins in an end of game situation

- Smith was solid again his highlights were a 50+ yard TD to Thompkins during 7 on 7's.
And a 40+ yard completion to Kyle Williams during 11 on 11

- Petty had a very nondescript day, no big plays no major mistakes

- Hackenberg's best play was a "near catch" by Charone Peake on a 50+ yard bomb which
he dropped.  For some reason the ball comes out of his hand with a wobble on some of
his throws.  Hopefully that will be corrected

Daily Standouts

- Jordan Jenkins
- Juston Burris
- Jalin Marshall
- Leonard Williams
- Bilal Powell

Literally a better write up than anyone else that has been there the last two days.  As always KRL, thank you.  I always appreciate the fact that you'll tackle the little things/performances of other guys that some of the other reporters don't even acknowledge.  Keep up the great work!

Archived