New York Jets GM: 'Big sigh of relief' after Ryan Fitzpatrick deal

Gas2No99

New York Jets GM: 'Big sigh of relief' after Ryan Fitzpatrick deal

9:09 PM ET

• cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
    Dick ScpitminiESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick wasn't the only person in the New York Jets' organization who exhaled when his contract dispute was resolved at the start of training camp.

So did the man on the other side of the bargaining table.

"For a night, I felt a big sigh of relief," general manager Mike Maccagnan said Friday, speaking to reporters for the first time since the draft. "And then it was back to work." GOOD!

The two sides broke a six-month stalemate on Wednesday evening, with Fitzpatrick agreeing to a contract that will pay him $12 million this season. Technically, it's a two-year deal, but it will void after the season, making him a free agent again.

Maccagnan declined to delve into the specifics of the negotiationsB), and he wouldn't address Fitzpatrick's comment about being offended by the team's initial offer -- three years, $24 million.

"The deal is done; we're very happy with it," he said. "We're happy we have Fitz back. I just want to go forward with this whole thing and get the team ready to play. We said all along we want to get Ryan back in the organization. It took a long time to get to the end, but that's what we felt comfortable with at the end."

The Jets gave Fitzpatrick a deadline for 7 p.m. Wednesday, when players reported for the first team meeting. Maccagnan said that was "the demarcation point to get something done."

It was a busy two weeks for the second-year general manager, who signed Pro Bowl defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson to a five-year, $86 million contract on July 15 -- the last day a player with the franchise tag could sign a long-term deal. It lowered Wilkerson's cap charge, from $15.7 million (the franchise tender) to $10 million, which gave them flexibility with the structure of the Fitzpatrick deal, Maccagnan said.

Another big contract is looming on the horizon -- defensive end Sheldon Richardson, who is signed through 2017. If Richardson has a strong campaign in 2016, he could demand a new deal next offseason.

"[Wilkerson's contract] doesn't preclude us from doing something with Sheldon going forward," Maccagnan said.

The general manager touched on a number of topics during a session with beat writers. He all but assured Geno Smith a spot on the 53-man roster, adding that he and the coaches haven't dismissed the possibility of keeping four quarterbacks. Smith, Bryce Petty and rookie Christian Hackenberg would serve as Fitzpatrick's backups.

In the first year of the Maccagnan-Todd Bowles regime, the Jets finished 10-6, blowing a wild-card spot in Week 17.

Despite the near-playoff season, Maccagnan wouldn't attach any lofty expectations to the coming season.

"I wouldn't say 'playoffs or bust,'" he said. "I mean, I know everybody probably wants that quote, but we're working one week at a time."

Truly a refreshing GM. Mikey the Mac is the Man!

With Macc coming in having zero ties to Geno he just couldn't hook his wagon to Smith even though Geno has far more upside than Fitzy. He'd rather go with something he knows, and I agree even though I was a bit curious to see if Geno had matured at all after getting his jaw crushed.

I knew deep down that Geno had a huge uphill battle in NY, based solely on the hatred here that so many Jet fans espouse. It's hard enough to succeed at being an NFL QB, but the vitriol with this guy is off the charts. I think Macc knows that too & as a backup without the pressure that comes with being the starter are comfortable with him in that role.

Plus it's clear as day that the players look to Fitz as more of a leader. The smiles in the locker room upon his arrival confirmed that aspect. Macc could not push the chips in on Geno & I completely understand that. This guy is a pros pro people, he completely shuts out the noise. The Wilk deal was very reasonable given the circumstances & recent contracts handed out. The Fitz deal was slightly more than I expected but he pushed 5 million into 2017 which won't matter if Fitz plays well & they want to bring him back for another year. At Fitz age NO ONE is giving him a 3 year contract. 

The most amazing part of the Fitz saga was how airtight this front office is. It was hilarious seeing the media ALL DAY saying the 2 sides were far apart & a deal was far from imminent & at 7:00 & 3 seconds they all look like idiots reporting Fitz & the Jets have agreed to a contract. Just a thing of beauty! Can you imagine if he actually found a punter, returner, one of the Olineman beats out Breno, Khiry balls out, and one of these young pup receivers turns out to be a stud? Dude will have God status around here.

20 minutes ago, Jetster said:

With Macc coming in having zero ties to Geno he just couldn't hook his wagon to Smith even though Geno has far more upside than Fitzy. He'd rather go with something he knows, and I agree even though I was a bit curious to see if Geno had matured at all after getting his jaw crushed.

I knew deep down that Geno had a huge uphill battle in NY, based solely on the hatred here that so many Jet fans espouse. It's hard enough to succeed at being an NFL QB, but the vitriol with this guy is off the charts. I think Macc knows that too & as a backup without the pressure that comes with being the starter are comfortable with him in that role.

Plus it's clear as day that the players look to Fitz as more of a leader. The smiles in the locker room upon his arrival confirmed that aspect. Macc could not push the chips in on Geno & I completely understand that. This guy is a pros pro people, he completely shuts out the noise. The Wilk deal was very reasonable given the circumstances & recent contracts handed out. The Fitz deal was slightly more than I expected but he pushed 5 million into 2017 which won't matter if Fitz plays well & they want to bring him back for another year. At Fitz age NO ONE is giving him a 3 year contract. 

The most amazing part of the Fitz saga was how airtight this front office is. It was hilarious seeing the media ALL DAY saying the 2 sides were far apart & a deal was far from imminent & at 7:00 & 3 seconds they all look like idiots reporting Fitz & the Jets have agreed to a contract. Just a thing of beauty! Can you imagine if he actually found a punter, returner, one of the Olineman beats out Breno, Khiry balls out, and one of these young pup receivers turns out to be a stud? Dude will have God status around here.

The Vitriol is mostly a result of on field performance since being an NYJ ... With a dash of d**shbag attitude sprinkled in for flavor

24 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Pretty sure Fitz coming back doesn't remove the possibility of seeing Geno this year.  Granted it won't be in the "Do or Die" NFL only starting QB on the roster fashion but tons of scenarios lead to Geno getting time.  

Fitz style of play, just like last year will lead to quality snaps for Geno.  Let's hope he can parlay them into quality time increasing his value as a player here or trading chip for next year.

Mac scored big time on this deal and very little has to do with determining this years final record.  You can tell from his non-Ryanesque response of not guaranteeing a post season spot.  Reality is the cards are stacked against us and we going to need a few breaks to get close to a post season birth.

I for one find it refreshing to have this kind of honesty from our front office.  The move to get Fitz is for the betterment of the Jets going forward and speaks volumes about the MacBowles regime legacy of competence .  It shows the young QB's how things work in a competent NFL franchise and allows them to have two veterans with very different playing paths to gain experience from. 

I think it will make them respect the starting QB position and not be force or in a sense "allow them" to luck into starting snaps ( they are not ready for) due to injury or poor play and poor depth planning.  Sleep well Big Mac, mmmmm Big Mac. Damn it!! Loss my train of thought.  

Your right. Bowles said you "earn" your chances in this league. Geno like Sanchez, were handed the reins of an NFL team without "earning" that right. It's really not fair to the other players, especially the veterans to have to suffer the mistakes they make over & over again. You look at Mangold. That was an awfully big smile coming from him in the locker room upon Fitz arrival.

Im sure he just feels a lot more confident in Fitz competence to run a complicated NFL offense, from snap count cadence, to adjusting blocking schemes, changing into the right play or even calling timeouts. That was what was most pleasurable for me last year after 6 years of Sanchez & Geno. Just the fact that we looked like an NFL offense from the break of the huddle through the snap. Much cleaner & with a lot less chaos.

45 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Who are you kidding??? We have watched Geno for more than two seasons, and one thing is true - he has ZERO upside. WTH specifically did he ever show you?! He made the same rookie mistakes over and over again in his limited playing time in 2015. He does NOT get it between the ears and that is a FACT. Fitz is a MUCH better QB than Geno will ever be. Mainly because he gets it between the ears. But also there's this little thing called STATISTICS, for which Fitz OWNS Geno there also. So please, enough of the foolish nonsense, the sooner this team gets rid of Geno, the better for EVERYONE on the team.

32 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Who are you kidding??? We have watched Geno for more than two seasons, and one thing is true - he has ZERO upside. WTH specifically did he ever show you?! He made the same rookie mistakes over and over again in his limited playing time in 2015. He does NOT get it between the ears and that is a FACT. Fitz is a MUCH better QB than Geno will ever be. Mainly because he gets it between the ears. But also there's this little thing called STATISTICS, for which Fitz OWNS Geno there also. So please, enough of the foolish nonsense, the sooner this team gets rid of Geno, the better for EVERYONE on the team.

I've never said I believe Geno Smith can be a "franchise QB" but it's not out of the realm of possibility that he won't succeed somewhere next year. We'll see what happens & revisit this topic again & see who's right & who's wrong. I don't claim to know, but your absolutely sure that he'll be out of the league next year. I don't believe that to be true.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

I've never said I believe Geno Smith can be a "franchise QB" but it's not out of the realm of possibility that he won't succeed somewhere next year. We'll see what happens & revisit this topic again & see who's right & who's wrong. I don't claim to know, but your absolutely sure that he'll be out of the league next year. I don't believe that to be true.

No. I am not absolutely sure he'll be out of the league. What I claim to know is specifically in reference to the Jets and that is the following......

Geno Smith blew all his chances with NYJ, he does NOT deserve any more opportunities and that is fair. He started for two seasons and based on his poor play they signed Fitz to give Geno competition. Geno promptly blew that chance also being a stupid a$$ with his teammates. That's on him 100%. And IMO based on the seriousness of the offense, he is all done getting chances. Now, the Jets have a log jam at QB and they have some very serious roster questions to answer.

I am CERTAIN this is the very last season Geno will be in town. Either he gets cut during this TC or at the end of the season, either way he's out of NY.

I do not know if Geno will be given another opportunity from another team, but I really don't care either. That's another teams decision and I am not a fan of any other team besides the NYJ.

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

No. I am not absolutely sure he'll be out of the league. What I claim to know is specifically in reference to the Jets and that is the following......

Geno Smith blew all his chances with NYJ, he does NOT deserve any more opportunities and that is fair. He started for two seasons and based on his poor play they signed Fitz to give Geno competition. Geno promptly blew that chance also being a stupid a$$ with his teammates. That's on him 100%. And IMO based on the seriousness of the offense, he is all done getting chances. Now, the Jets have a log jam at QB and they have some very serious roster questions to answer.

I am CERTAIN this is the very last season Geno will be in town. Either he gets cut during this TC or at the end of the season, either way he's out of NY.

I do not know if Geno will be given another opportunity from another team, but I really don't care either. That's another teams decision and I am not a fan of any other team besides the NYJ.

You are wrong about this season.  They need at least a capable back up for Fitz for when Fitz gets dinged up and neither Hack nor Petty are close to ready.  That back up will be Smith.  Also, cutting Smith now would not save a red cent.  Smith's 2016 money is guaranteed and will hit the cap whether he is here or not.

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

You are wrong about this season.  They need at least a capable back up for Fitz for when Fitz gets dinged up and neither Hack nor Petty are close to ready.  That back up will be Smith.  Also, cutting Smith now would not save a red cent.  Smith's 2016 money is guaranteed and will hit the cap whether he is here or not.

Did I say he'd be out of NY? Did I say he wouldn't be the backup this season??  Pull your head out of your back side and READ.........

4 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Honestly @Maxman @slats @The Crusher guys... how long do we all have to put up with this? Not everyone has to be "overtly" offensive to be recognized as a universal abscess. This guy doing everything he can to incite disagreement and unrest. It's not a matter of being conducive to different opinions, it's a matter of torpedoing board morale -- on purpose. He derails threads for the sake of derailment -- and flip flops his agenda based on counter-culture of that thread.

You know why jets insider failed for so many? Cause moderators didn't know when to pull the plug on toxic members.

Mac should be VERY relieved about signing Fitz. This article basically touches very mildly about the sh*t storm of criticism Mac would have fallen into if he gone with Geno. Honestly, there was no other way that this offseason would have ultimately been resolved. Mac signing Fitz aside from a truly GREAT QB, was a paper bull when you are dealing with the mafia. If they tell you something you should do and they are saying it kindly? Not only should you do it, you should run. I'm just very glad it didn't need to come down to that.

18 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Honestly @Maxman @slats @The Crusher guys... how long do we all have to put up with this? Not everyone has to be "overtly" offensive to be recognized as a universal abscess. This guy doing everything he can to incite disagreement and unrest. It's not a matter of being conducive to different opinions, it's a matter of torpedoing board morale -- on purpose. He derails threads for the sake of derailment -- and flip flops his agenda based on counter-culture of that thread.

You know why jets insider failed for so many? Cause moderators didn't know when to pull the plug on toxic members.

dude, you have been a member here for a year and a half. the guys you are crying to have been here for almost a decade or longer. I think its safe to say they know what they are doing. I don't think they need your direction on how to run the site. calling this poster out in a public snitching was pretty lowbrow. there is nothing in this thread that's jives with your assessment. sounds more like you are sick and tired of this guy disagreeing with you

dude, you have been a member here for a year and a half. the guys you are crying to have been here for almost a decade or longer. I think its safe to say they know what they are doing. I don't think they need your direction on how to run the site. calling this poster out in a public snitching was pretty lowbrow. there is nothing in this thread that's jives with your assessment. sounds more like you are sick and tired of this guy disagreeing with you

Thanks Geraldo, but I've been around that guy for a decade. Thanks for your insightful feedback but I feel confident in my assessment. He didn't accidentally get minus a million rep points. It's nothing personal, in fact I don't think me and him have had more than the odd exchange. I don't hang around the dumpster looking for conversation.

And spare me the public snitching dialogue. I'm making a public nuisance a public affair. No one enjoys his presence.

Everything he touches, is toxic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Thanks Geraldo, but I've been around that guy for a decade. Thanks for your insightful feedback but I feel confident in my assessment. He didn't accidentally get minus a million rep points. It's nothing personal, in fact I don't think me and him have had more than the odd exchange. I don't hang around the dumpster looking for conversation.

And spare me the public snitching dialogue. I'm making a public nuisance a public affair. No one enjoys his presence.

I don't agree with a lot of what he says, but he doesn't bother me

he is strong with his takes. people leave negative reps. I get them all the time. who cares

I don't think he is a public nuisance, but I am sure some do. this is a message board. be prepared for strong opinions. his presence doesn't bother me. some other posters presence do bother me, but you don't see me making a public cry for their banning. I could care less about what poster said on another message board. your public service announcement came in a thread where I don't see where he did anything wrong. if you don't like what he has to say, and he is not breaking any rules, just ignore him

26 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Stop being such a pussy. 

13 minutes ago, ylekram said:

I don't agree with a lot of what he says, but he doesn't bother me

he is strong with his takes. people leave negative reps. I get them all the time. who cares

I don't think he is a public nuisance, but I am sure some do. this is a message board. be prepared for strong opinions. his presence doesn't bother me. some other posters presence do bother me, but you don't see me making a public cry for their banning. I could care less about what poster said on another message board. your public service announcement came in a thread where I don't see where he did anything wrong. if you don't like what he has to say, and he is not breaking any rules, just ignore him

What is this, sesame street? You don't like what i have to say, put me ignore. Otherwise take your ghandi act somewhere else. The guy's agenda is to walk into a thread and blow it up. That's an legit assessment. He's a waste of space on the board and I'm hanging a lantern on it. That's it, that's all. 

Just now, Paradis said:

What is this, sesame street? You don't like what i have to say, put me ignore. Otherwise take your ghandi act somewhere else. The guy's agenda is to walk into a thread and blow it up. That's an legit assessment. He's a waste of space on the board and I'm hanging a lantern on it. That's it, that's all. 

sesame street? lol

put you on ignore? never. but maybe you should take your own advice

ghandi act? whatever that is

guys agenda is to walk into a thread and blow it up? kinda like what you are doing

that's a legit assessment? no that's your assessment

hes a waste of space on the board? get off your high horse

that's it. that's all? you done crying & sniveling now? good

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

you know what, enjoy...  The pfail strip says - wassup. We're well on our way. 

No it really doesn't. If you miss JI, go back. It wasn't just the absence of a-holes that has made this place great for over a decade, it was also that we didn't have sensitive crybabies running around hijacking threads too. 

This is what I have been looking for... for years we didn't have a real organization one that had a plan, a real plan and a strategy to execute that plan.

An owner who moved the team because of bathrooms, that is NOT a plan.....

Putting a QB with one year of college QB experience, in Sanchez, to start for the Jets when his own college coach said that he wasn't ready, wasn't a plan, and then saying look at the result, isn't a plan but a roll of the dice!

Mac has a plan, he sticks to it and is professional in what says and how he handles his business and all I can say is thank you!!!!

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Well, I should say the same to you. You see how easy that is? It seems to me you can preach, but you can't adhere to the same standard? It's called free speech, get over it.

28 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Well, I should say the same to you. You see how easy that is? It seems to me you can preach, but you can't adhere to the same standard? It's called free speech, get over it.

A post with no caps, and no NY Jets were ridiculed in making? It's a miracle. 

17 minutes ago, Jet Fan RI said:

What is meant in the article stating the Fitz deal is technically a 2-year deal? And why does it void after the season? Is this some sort of move by the Jets to reduce the cap hit this season of the FItz contract?? 

Yes. He signed a 2 year 17 mil contract with a 10 mil signing bonus. 2mil guaranteed salary this year and a 5mil voidable salary next year. 

He then counts 7 mil against the cap this year, and 5 mil next year in dead money. 

It's Fitz Macgic. 

2 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Yes. He signed a 2 year 17 mil contract with a 10 mil signing bonus. 2mil guaranteed salary this year and a 5mil voidable salary next year. 

He then counts 7 mil against the cap this year, and 5 mil next year in dead money. 

Thanks! Shows some brilliant thinking on Macc's part. I was wondering how the Jets could afford a $12 million cap hit this season. The answer is, they don't have to! 

15 hours ago, Paradis said:

A post with no caps, and no NY Jets were ridiculed in making? It's a miracle. 

You'll get used to caps and Jets being ridiculed. BTW, if Geno Smith does not DESERVE to be ridiculed, then I don't know anyone who does...

2 hours ago, Mainejet said:

You'll get used to caps and Jets being ridiculed. BTW, if Geno Smith does not DESERVE to be ridiculed, then I don't know anyone who does...

Can you REALLY not see the point? Your valid in your Geno disposition, but to simply CUT him is about as inbred-stupid as one can be. He provides us  QUALITY DEPTH at the QB position. So the constant bashing is just petulant at this point. Paradis gets it, WE ALL GET IT!<_<

WE GET IT! YOU NO LIKE #7.

Stop being so pugnacious on the board about it and move on from CONSTANTLY emphasizing the SAME damn vitriol you spew. I wouldn't be happy with Geno as a starter either SOLELY BASED on what we've seen from 2013-present, but he's STILL BETTER than whatever else is out there and on our sidelines in providing QB DEPTH w/starting experience for a CENTS on the dollar due to rookie contract. THAT"s HIS VALUE. if you can't understand that a COMPETENT GM doesn't squander talent unless he has to, you'll find yourself in less board arguments and people $hitting on your pittance of a contribution to this board in actual intelligent debate. 

Get a new shtick because the childish "CUT XYZ player BECUZ HE SUCKS!!!"  is just getting old

As a world-renowned Geno hater even I have to admit the "must inject Geno debate into every thread" is getting stale. The fact is the GM is relieved to sign Fitzpatrick. Now suddenly we are debating Geno v. Fitz for what the 700th time this off-season? 

Fitzpatrick is starting. Let's all root for him and the team. If he gets hurt, I will be rooting for Geno to put it all together. You can be skeptical but still hope for the best, you know. It's allowed from fans. Some posters need to decouple their feelings of inner self-worth from winning "debates" about Ryan Frickin' Fitzpatrick on a message board.

Archived