Bowles: Back-up QB spot “Up for Grabs”

JetNation

Geno Smith

By Glenn Naughton

At the conclusion of Jets practice over each of the last two days, head coach Todd Bowles has been bombarded with questions regarding his quarterback situation.  When asked about the status of starter Ryan Fitzpatrick and what it might take for him to lose his job, Bowles was crystal clear, saying “He’s not going to lose it in practice” and that it would take “something drastic” for Fitzpatrick to sit out the Jets week-one contest against the Bengals.

However, when asked about the status of back-up quarterback Geno Smith on each of the first two days of camp, Bowles left a bit more wiggle room.  Here’s the brief exchange on day one:

Reporter: Todd,  now that Fitz is back there has been some speculation about Geno’s roster spot.  How do you characterize that?  Is he locked in as then umber two.

Bowles: Geno’s here.  (pauses)

Reporter: Is he locked in as the number two.

Bowles: Geno’s here right  now as the number two unless Bryce or Hack have some great games and come along like gang busters, but he’s number two right now but it’s open”.

Not the most reassuring statement, was it?  Ask anyone, in any profession, exactly how they feel about their job security if and when their boss is asked if they’re locked in to their job and the response is simply “he’s here” or “he’s here right now, but it’s open”, and see how well that goes over.

Now, in fairness to all of the back-ups, Bowles did continue in that very statement saying it was no different from Fitzpatrick himself, who could lose his job if he were to struggle, but that did run counter to his comments regarding Fitzpatrick’s status as the starter when he said it would take something drastic to make a change.

Head Coach Todd Bowles left the door open for either Christian Hackenberg (foreground) or Bryce Petty to win the Jets' back-up quarterback job.

Head Coach Todd Bowles left the door open for either Christian Hackenberg (foreground) or Bryce Petty to win the Jets’ back-up quarterback job.

On day two, the topic arose again, and Bowles said point-blank that the back-up job was “up for grabs” if the other quarterbacks play well.

Exactly how things unfold remains to be seen, but what we have at this very moment, is a starting QB that Bowles fully expects to start week one barring any unforeseen circumstance, with his back-up, Geno Smith, being told his spot isn’t nearly as secure.

While Bowles’ statement may come as a surprise to some onlookers, it really shouldn’t.

It was at the end of last season when Bowles said Fitzpatrick would retain the starting job if he were to return in 2016 and then followed that by saying Bryce Petty would be given a chance to win the number two job, which of course, would have bumped Smith down to number three on the depth chart.  While Jets fans and media whipped themselves into a frenzy over the off-season as Fitzpatrick’s contract negotiations played out, that statement from Bowles seemed to be forgotten, as some fans assumed the back-up job would be handed to Smith.

The good news for Smith, is that if the first two days of camp are any indication of how the depth chart will settle, he doesn’t have much to worry about.  Even having misfired on several deep balls on day one and throwing an interception during the team’s “two-minute drill” on day two, Smith has still been much better than either Petty or rookie QB Christian Hackenberg in the (very) early going.

Smith may not have the starting job he’d hoped for, but he’s well on his way to making Bowles’ decision regarding the number two job an easy one, something that’s unlikely to change once pre-season play gets under way.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
lWIXSi773Lo

Click here to read the full story...

that statement to me is as much about giving petty and hack hope as much as making sure geno doesn't get complacent with a secure role

he wants them all fighting to move up on the depth chart

geno doesn't have much to worry about tho.  petty straight up stinks and hack is lost

14 minutes ago, JetNation said:

Bowles: Geno’s here right  now as the number two unless Bryce or Hack have some great games and come along like gang busters, but he’s number two right now but it’s open”.

Not the most reassuring statement, was it?  Ask anyone, in any profession, exactly how they feel about their job security if and when their boss is asked if they’re locked in to their job and the response is simply “he’s here” or “he’s here right now, but it’s open”, and see how well that goes over.

I think you're reading a little much into that quote. Geno getting replaced as the #2 doesn't seem much more likely than something drastic happening that results in Fitz being replaced as the #1. I'd love to see Bryce or Hack come along like gang busters, but so far, that doesn't look like its gonna be the case. You're at camp, are they getting close to equal reps? With the starters? 

It's obvious the only thing keeping Geno on this roster is the inability of Bryce Petty to assume the number 2 role. Really what must happen here is Bowles has to make a concerted effort to see what Bryce Petty has to offer. Dedicate some time in each and every practice for Petty to work with the one and two's. Make an objective evaluation of Petty. Otherwise, he KNOWS Geno will stick as the number two. There simply isn't enough snaps for four Quarterbacks, so Hack sticks as the 3rd string developmental QB, Fitz sticks as the unquestioned starter, from there allow Bryce to get at least as many snaps as Geno gets and make an objective decision. Carrying 4 QB's into the regular season really hamstrings the team. In fact, I'll go out on a limb right now and predict the Jets will NOT carry 4 QB's into the regular season. Everyone knows Fitz and Hack are safe, that cannot be debated. The front office also does not have any loyalty To Geno, he's John Idzk's gaffe. My prediction says Geno is GONE.

The writer of this article is reading too much into off the cuff comments. Again.

Isn't this the same writer that said we should not take stock into comments made by Bowles regarding Geno, when Fitz wasn't here? With a sideline of "What is he supposed to say?"

Nothing to read into here. Let it happen. Which Bowles is.

As I tell all our employees "No one is guaranteed anything, including myself." Who gets the luxury of being "locked in" on any job? If that appears as a threat or being ominous, so be it.

30 minutes ago, slats said:

I think you're reading a little much into that quote. Geno getting replaced as the #2 doesn't seem much more likely than something drastic happening that results in Fitz being replaced as the #1. I'd love to see Bryce or Hack come along like gang busters, but so far, that doesn't look like its gonna be the case. You're at camp, are they getting close to equal reps? With the starters? 

If he'd said the starting job was "up for grabs" I'd agree.  But he didn't say that about the starting job, he said it about the back up job one day after replying to the question with "Geno is here" and "He's the number two right now".  

If they asked if Mangold was the starting center, do you think he'd say "Nick is here and he's the number one right now"?

Translation:  Please dear lord will Petty, Hack, or better yet both, play better than Geno and one of them win the #2 job so the Geno Era can finally come to an end.

Just now, Warfish said:

Translation:  Please dear lord will Petty, Hack, or better yet both, play better than Geno and one of them win the #2 job so the Geno Era can finally come to an end.

I remember a lot of speculation the jets were trading mo because of a "right now he's here" quote

I think that phrase is just a bowles ism

Just now, Warfish said:

Bowles has to want one of them to take the job which is why it's up for grabs. He and Mac drafted Petty and Hack who both have multiple years remaining on their deals.  They That being said, I doubt either one takes the job from him.

Just now, Larz said:

I remember a lot of speculation the jets were trading mo because of a "right now he's here" quote

I think that phrase is just a bowles ism

Several reports on draft day were that Mo was available but nobody was offering what the Jets wanted.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Several reports on draft day were that Mo was available but nobody was offering what the Jets wanted.

I'm just saying lets not read too much into this.  maybe its just how he puts things.  like parcells "lets not put him in canton" thing

11 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If he'd said the starting job was "up for grabs" I'd agree.  But he didn't say that about the starting job, he said it about the back up job one day after replying to the question with "Geno is here" and "He's the number two right now".  

If they asked if Mangold was the starting center, do you think he'd say "Nick is here and he's the number one right now"?

These guys obviously have no ties to Geno Smith, and obviously do have ties to Petty and Hackenberg. The coach wants competition there, and wants those kids to push Geno or push ahead of him. I have no illusions about this. When he says it's open, it is, but it's really more about motivating the other two guys than anything else. As Bowles himself said, it would take some great games and coming along like gangbusters. Do you really think that's a likely scenario? You've said yourself that neither Petty nor Hack has been impressive at all so far. Do you think an amazing fourth quarter in a preseason game is going to alter the QB depth chart? 

Mac has already pretty much guaranteed Geno a roster spot. By giving Fitz his big one year deal, they're sending the signal that they're in it to win this year. It's like the argument to sign Fitz in the first place, Geno gives the team the best chance to win should Fitz go down to injury. 

Just now, slats said:

These guys obviously have no ties to Geno Smith, and obviously do have ties to Petty and Hackenberg. The coach wants competition there, and wants those kids to push Geno or push ahead of him. I have no illusions about this. When he says it's open, it is, but it's really more about motivating the other two guys than anything else. As Bowles himself said, it would take some great games and coming along like gangbusters. Do you really think that's a likely scenario? You've said yourself that neither Petty nor Hack has been impressive at all so far. Do you think an amazing fourth quarter in a preseason game is going to alter the QB depth chart? 

Mac has already pretty much guaranteed Geno a roster spot. By giving Fitz his big one year deal, they're sending the signal that they're in it to win this year. It's like the argument to sign Fitz in the first place, Geno gives the team the best chance to win should Fitz go down to injury. 

Could be, but I'd be worried if either guy needed to be motivated to want the number two job.  If they're not that interested in getting it without the coach telling them they might get it, that's bad IMO.

Entirely possible Bowles doesn't believe Petty or Hack are self-starters, but I'd be surprised if they'd draft a QB (let alone two) who doesn't want to be as high as possible on the depth chart.

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

I'm just saying lets not read too much into this.  maybe its just how he puts things.  like parcells "lets not put him in canton" thing

For me it's not about reading in to it, it's about reminding people that this could be a possibility.  As I said in the article, Bowles' quote about Petty being given a shot has been completely dismissed by a lot of fans...especially the part timers who haven't paid much attention to football since week 17.

As I also said though, I don't think either guy takes the job from Geno.  Barring a miracle, he'll be the number two QB this season before moving on as a free agent.

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think there is nothing in what he said that says this. 

He wants competition, it's been his mantra.  Same reason he left it open that Fitz could lose his job at some point.  

38 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I disagree, and I will tell you why. Petty and Hack arent going to get much play.

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I think there is nothing in what he said that says this. 

He wants competition, it's been his mantra.  Same reason he left it open that Fitz could lose his job at some point.  

i think he said this b/c of the whole drama of bringing fitz back.  obviously they didn't pay him at least $12M to be the backup.  so it's only logical bowles named him the starter and truth, his performance last year earned him the starting job at the start of TC.  and while geno has improved by most counts, he hasn't actually earned anything.  he's only the backup b/c neither of the other 2 qbs have played a down in the nfl.  all bowles is saying is that spots 2 through 4 can shift based on performance.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

I disagree, and I will tell you why. Petty and Hack arent going to get much play.

How do you think we see pre-season reps get split?

We know Fitz is starting, we know Geno is no. 2, we know Hack isn't going anywhere no matter what, and we know Petty has the most work to do to be NFL-ready since he's from that garbage offense in college.

Tons of reps for Petty to see if he shows enough to stay?

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

How do you think we see pre-season reps get split?

We know Fitz is starting, we know Geno is no. 2, we know Hack isn't going anywhere no matter what, and we know Petty has the most work to do to be NFL-ready since he's from that garbage offense in college.

Tons of reps for Petty to see if he shows enough to stay?

i would think geno does not get the time he wants in preseason.  their priority is to get their own two draft picks as ready as possible.  

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i would think geno does not get the time he wants in preseason.  their priority is to get their own two draft picks as ready as possible.  

I'd expect that to be the case...just asked this question in a different thread because I'm curious to hear other opinions on this one.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I'd expect that to be the case...just asked this question in a different thread because I'm curious to hear other opinions on this one.

if they didn't draft a qb in the 2nd round this year, i'd maybe wonder if they thought geno was worth developing.  but taking hack basically sealed geno's fate on the jets, barring a fitz injury and a real good showing by geno that gets them to the playoffs.  when bowles says 'geno's here', i think that's exactly what he means.  he inherited him and he's still under contract.  he's currently the backup qb simply because the two guys the current gm drafted haven't taken it from him.

41 minutes ago, AFJF said:

For me it's not about reading in to it, it's about reminding people that this could be a possibility.  As I said in the article, Bowles' quote about Petty being given a shot has been completely dismissed by a lot of fans...especially the part timers who haven't paid much attention to football since week 17.

As I also said though, I don't think either guy takes the job from Geno.  Barring a miracle, he'll be the number two QB this season before moving on as a free agent.

lol, I forgot who glenn naughton is :bag:

Genos praying for Fitz to get hurt. You guys know how it goes in the NFL. Fitz gets us to 4-3, then gets hurt, Geno takes the reins with the easier side of the schedule, balls out, gets to the playoffs, signs a Buffalo Fitz type contract with Ceveland (RG3 gets hurt again too in 2016), Geno goes on to have an up & down career but still makes millions without accomplishing a damn thing & sails off into the sunset with 40/50 million in the bank ordering his lunch at Sonic as Ik roller skates up to his Bentley to deliver Geno his lunch.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

that statement to me is as much about giving petty and hack hope as much as making sure geno doesn't get complacent with a secure role

he wants them all fighting to move up on the depth chart

geno doesn't have much to worry about tho.  petty straight up stinks and hack is lost

My thoughts  exactally...the way Geno is apparently playing in training camp no one is going to be taking his backup spot away this season.

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Genos praying for Fitz to get hurt. You guys know how it goes in the NFL. Fitz gets us to 4-3, then gets hurt, Geno takes the reins with the easier side of the schedule, balls out, gets to the playoffs, signs a Buffalo Fitz type contract with Ceveland (RG3 gets hurt again too in 2016), Geno goes on to have an up & down career but still makes millions without accomplishing a damn thing & sails off into the sunset with 40/50 million in the bank ordering his lunch at Sonic as Ik roller skates up to his Bentley to deliver Geno his lunch  punch

fixed

Now, in fairness to all of the back-ups, Bowles did continue in that very statement saying it was no different from Fitzpatrick himself, who could lose his job if he were to struggle, but that did run counter to his comments regarding Fitzpatrick’s status as the starter when he said it would take something drastic to make a change.

the rest of the "article" is really nothing more than wishful thinking by OP

10 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

i think he said this b/c of the whole drama of bringing fitz back.  obviously they didn't pay him at least $12M to be the backup.  so it's only logical bowles named him the starter and truth, his performance last year earned him the starting job at the start of TC.  and while geno has improved by most counts, he hasn't actually earned anything.  he's only the backup b/c neither of the other 2 qbs have played a down in the nfl.  all bowles is saying is that spots 2 through 4 can shift based on performance.

It's why I said that of course they said if Fitz signs he's the starter.  They're not paying a guy more than double what Geno makes to sit on the bench.  You're right, Fitz deserves the starting nod now.  But unlike what some Fitzfans are saying, if they tart the season 1-5 even at his pay he ride the bench

Archived