Pair of Undrafted Free Agents Flash Early in Jets Camp

JetNation

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JetNation said:

With New York Jets camp opening up two days ago in Florham Park, the majority of media attention has been focused on the quarterbacks as the newly re-signed Ryan Fitzpatrick slid right back in to his number one spot on the depth chart with Geno Smith, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg rounding out the group.

This is Hack writing at it's best glad to see you are trying to join the ranks of Cimini, and Mehnta.  How about just write the article about the 2 kids in the title keep the nonsense in the first paragraph out, stuff like that is why us Jetnation fans try to get our news from here not from the hack beat writers, but yet you strive to write articles like them.

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I hate no player in a Jets uniform I root for them all to do good. 

All you post is the same old drivel day in and day out. 

Well, if you don't like it, don't read it. Otherwise, you'll just have to tolerate me, And BTW? I have never hated any player up until Geno. Geno, however, is the drop dead point for me. Maybe I'm a little quirky, but I do NOT like players that get into altercations with other players. The very action is the antithesis of NOT being a team player. He's a cancer.

1 minute ago, Mainejet said:

Well, if you don't like it, don't read it. Otherwise, you'll just have to tolerate me, And BTW? I have never hated any player up until Geno. Geno, however, is the drop dead point for me. Maybe I'm a little quirky, but I do NOT like players that get into altercations with other players. The very action is the antithesis of NOT being a team player. He's a cancer.

Thats fine you are entitled to your opinions as I am mine enjoy the season. 

The Jets seem to have really addressed a lot of position needs Morris brings us speed we havent had in years here. 

There is seriously zero reason to start any thread about anything other than the dead and buried QB situation at this point.

Keep up the great work.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Fitzpatrick lost the 2 Buffalo games and the Texans game single-handedly excuse makers FitzNation like yourself always looking to lay the blame elsewhere. 

New season we are 0-0 i root for Fitzpatrick to take us to the playoffs

You forgot i root for the team and any player in a Jets uniform 

I hate no Jets player

You obviously have not moved on and you have an odd way of showing that you don't hate any Jets player!

2 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

It's is pretty incredible how different it is having a scout as a GM.  It seams all of late picks are looking good though OTA's and now the start of camp.  

Feels like the jets finally are building a pipe line of players to fill the roster. 

Absolutely right!  The team speed should improve special teams play tremendously.  

7 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

It's is pretty incredible how different it is having a scout as a GM.  It seams all of late picks are looking good though OTA's and now the start of camp.  

Feels like the jets finally are building a pipe line of players to fill the roster. 

Even the un drafted players in camp seem to be good ones definitely good news. 

5 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

6 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Think about these 3 guys addition of speed on specials, Morris, Lee, Marshall. I'm sure there will be others who can motor too. The other thing that happens with depth is you create more competition. Competition is ALWAYS GOOD for getting the most out of players. Just imagine that David Nelson was our #1 WR when Decker pulled a hammy, ugh.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Fitzpatrick lost the 2 Buffalo games and the Texans game single-handedly excuse makers FitzNation like yourself always looking to lay the blame elsewhere. 

New season we are 0-0 i root for Fitzpatrick to take us to the playoffs

You forgot i root for the team and any player in a Jets uniform 

I hate no Jets player

Not even Holmes or Hill??;)

9 hours ago, JetNation said:

Jalin Marshall

By Glenn Naughton

With New York Jets camp opening up two days ago in Florham Park, the majority of media attention has been focused on the quarterbacks as the newly re-signed Ryan Fitzpatrick slid right back in to his number one spot on the depth chart with Geno Smith, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg rounding out the group.

Just because all eyes were on the QB’s doesn’t mean that’s where all the plays were being made.  As a matter of fact, a couple of undrafted free agents hoping to find a way to stick on the 53-man roster, made some plays the drew praise from fans and coaches alike.

Leading the way was Ohio State Wide Receiver Jalin Marshall who has made one spectacular catch after another.  Whether it’s been on a high pass over the middle that has seen him elevate above surrounding defenders to come down with it, or a jump ball along the sidelines that Marshall has been able to pivot and high-point to snatch out of the air, he’s been the name most frequently mentioned by onlookers.

Any time you’re dealing with a player from a major college powerhouse such as the Buckeyes, you always have to wonder what kind of players are buried behind a slew of talented players at the same position who may have pro-level ability.  As early as it is, it looks like Marshall may fit that description.

In just two seasons at Ohio State, Marshall was buried behind a loaded group that consisted of a pair of second-round picks that included current Jets receiver Devin Smith and New Orleans Saints 2015 second round choice, Michael Thomas.  Also on that offense was first-round choice, running back Ezekiel Elliott, who was another lethal target out of the backfield.   Even still, Marshall managed to haul in 74 receptions for 976 yards and 11 touchdowns in two seasons.  Now with Marshall, who also returned kicks and punts in college, in the fold, the Jets will look to benefit from his decision to leave school after just one season.

North Carolina's Romar Morris' speed has been on full display early on.

North Carolina’s Romar Morris’ speed has been on full display early on.

Another player who has had his share of moments in the early going is North Carolina running back Romar Morris.

The 5′ 9”, 190 lb Morris wasn’t present at the NFL combine, but reportedly blazed a 4.36 40 time at his pro day, and his college play suggests he has no problem playing at that speed.

Morris was another player who was stuck behind a future NFL talent at North Carolina as current Bengals running back Gio Bernard, who ran for over 2,4oo yards during his two seasons as a Tarheel made it difficult for Morris to get significant carries.

Bernard’s departure would have likely meant more playing time for Morris if not for the fact head coach Larry Fedora shifted his offensive philosophy, allowing his quarterbacks to rack up the majority of his team’s carries while Morris served as a situational runner and special teams standout.

Even still, Morris made the most of what little playing time he had, averaging 4.8 yards per carry during his four seasons at North Carolina, carrying the ball 213 times for 1,024 yards and 12 touchdowns.  In the right offense, Morris has the ability to make plays out of the backfield not only as a runner, but as a receiver.

In what was one of his best collegiate performances,  Morris torched a Louisville defense that consisted of current New York Jets Calvin Pryor and Lorenzo Mauldin.  Against the 19th ranked Cardinals, Morris had just five receptions, but still piled up a whopping 149 yards and a pair of touchdowns through the air.

After watching Morris over the course of the past two days, it’s hard not to be reminded of former Jet Leon Washington who carved out quite a role for himself with Gang Green before moving on after suffering a major leg injury in 2009.

After one of his first carries on day one, a play that had Morris dart up the middle between defenders, fans and members of the media quickly glanced down at their player rosters, clearly wondering who it was.  Then there was a 40 yard run for Morris yesterday that didn’t mean much as there were no pads or tackling, but Morris took the time to show off his speed as he hit fifth-gear going down the sideline.   It was difficult not to imagine what a player with that skill set could do for the Jets in the open field.

While Morris hasn’t been perfect (he had a ball stripped free by Dee Milliner following a catch and run yesterday), he has shown some of the traits that led to the Jets picking him up for a look-see this summer.  The Jets have a crowded backfield, but Morris played a big role on special teams for the Tar Heels as both a kick returner and punt team blocker.  The Jets were also said to be intrigued by Morris’ ability to cover kicks as a gunner in the future, so he’s far from a one-trick pony.

With their stated goal of getting younger and faster this off-season, early as it may be, the Jets have to be happy with their decision to have Morris and Anderson flashing some impressive skills right out of the gate.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

MAeS1dwTDwI

Click here to read the full story...

Nice piece on Morris, have to admit don't know a hell of a lot about him, was waiting for some news in him and what he was showing.  Will have to keep an eye on him now.  Thanks again

http://www.scout.com/nfl/jets/story/1690510-jalin-marshall-is-feeling-the-love

Florham Park, NJ - Jalin Marshall went to Ohio State as a highly coveted five-star recruit as a dual-threat quarterback before transitioning to a full-time receiver. Injuries delayed his progress as he had to re-shirt in the 2013 season before developing into the team's second most productive receiver on their way to a National Championship in 2014.

Marshall was looked at as a talented athlete who fit the Ohio State system, taking advantage of stacked-sets and being used in an H-back role, but scouts questioned his ability to develop a full route-tree and become a complete receiver in the NFL. That combined with the fact that he entered the draft a year early left him as an undrafted rookie that really has to prove himself immediately to earn a spot on the final roster.

"For a pride thing you want to get drafted," Jalin said. "But I believe in God and he has a plan for me and I just rode that wave and the Jets gave me an opportunity and I'm going to give it everything I got."

After watching everything he had to give in OTAs some of his fellow receivers would take exception with those scouts as they are literally professing their love for the undrafted rookie. 

"I'm in love with Jalin, it's as simple as that," Brandon Marshall said quite bluntly. "The kid is special. I mean, he's just got it. His mentality, his approach to the game, he's smart, he has skills. So, he's a rookie and he has to work at it and get better and we'll see."

Brandon wasn't the only receiver to use the L word when talking about Jalin either.

"Love Jalin a lot. Not only is he physically gifted, he's going to help us in the receivers' room (and) he's going to help us on special teams, but he's a guy that's hungry for knowledge in the meeting rooms, Eric Decker said. "He's asking questions, he knows his stuff, and being in the league for awhile it's good to see those guys when they're hungry and they want to learn. They ask you questions, that's very important because the craft of a receiver means a lot, so I'm excited about his development and what he's going to do to help us this season."

Jalin impressed reporters throughout OTAs but as his fellow receivers said, he continued to impress everyone by his desire to learn and improve. Now us reporters are starting to get a glimpse of that as well, when he was asked what one area he is focusing on most to improve it was all about the details.

"Really just attention to detail, all details, being able to be where I'm supposed to be at all times, being able to play any position on the field and being a reliable target for the quarterback," Jalin said. "Like I said, be where I'm supposed to be and do what I'm supposed to do for the team."

And incase you're wondering the feeling of love is mutual from the rookie's point of view.

"Brandon and Eric have been a very big help to me," Jalin said. "Like I said, it's a blessing and a honor to be able to learn from these guys, you know learn from the best guys in the game everyday and for me I just look up to those guys and keep building and like I said, hopefully make this team."

If he keeps building on what he's done so far, Jalin Marshall will make the final roster and it's clear that he's determined to put the work in to ensure that goal will be accomplished.

19 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I know you're stuck right there in the 4th quarter of game 16 but we lost 5 other games each of which would have ensured a playoff berth. 

Yup can't play remember last play and forget good or bad plays along the way

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Nice piece on Morris, have to admit don't know a hell of a lot about him, was waiting for some news in him and what he was showing.  Will have to keep an eye on him now.  Thanks again

He ran a 4.28 in front of scouts earlier in year,, Glenn is right, who knows what future hold but if he makes 2016 jets it's mainly as a gunner on punts, he was great at getting to opposing punt returner amazingly fast

Hopefully this is more than just offseason hype.

Anyways, people say they're excited about Morris. I'm more excited about Marshall. While they definitely still have at least a few years left in the tank, Brandon and Decker aren't young by any means. Smith looks like he'll be a bust. We need a good threat for Hack in the future.

20 hours ago, JetNation said:

With their stated goal of getting younger and faster this off-season, early as it may be, the Jets have to be happy with their decision to have Morris and Anderson flashing some impressive skills right out of the gate.

You meant to say Marshall, didn't you?  

2 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

He ran a 4.28 in front of scouts earlier in year,, Glenn is right, who knows what future hold but if he makes 2016 jets it's mainly as a gunner on punts, he was great at getting to opposing punt returner amazingly fast

STs could use all the help they can get.  Guys that plays them get to hang around and hopefully develop

18 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Marshall,Peake, Morris and Anderson are going to be very exciting to watch this preseason. I am rooting them big time.

The desire was to increase the speed and athleticism of the team . That is precisely what these players bring to the table .

On July 30, 2016 at 1:40 PM, joewilly12 said:

You're right you shouldn't have bothered because you like all the rest of the excuse makers FitzNation crowd will never admit that he lost the game with the 3 INTs in a row,we win that game we are in the playoffs where I know we could have beat Denver. 

Ive moved on and welcome Fitzpatrick and look forward to a new and exciting season. 

You on the other hand why did you bother. 

Don't derail the thread please. 

On July 30, 2016 at 10:34 AM, joewilly12 said:

Special teams did not cost us the playoffs 3 INTs cost us the playoffs. 

Nice to see the Jets get a break once in awhile and find a diamond in the rough.

Special teams were putrid and cost us a number of games. Stop being so putrid and look at the whole picture.  That's why the ST coach was fired, we cut our punter, drafted another and getting faster - ST is undergoing a major upheaval and oh yeah Fitz was resigned - so there's that too. ?

Archived