The Way To Look At It: The Jets Have a 4-Day Season

SAR I

9/11 - Bengals at Jets

9/15 - Jets at Bills

We can have a lot of talk and a lot of speculation, but in the end the Jets season boils down to 4 days.  Week 1, 2 games, all the marbles right there.

If the Jets go 0-2, lights out.

If the Jets go 1-1, lights out.

If the Jets go 2-0, we're set for a good season.  We'd only have to go 1 game above .500 for the remaining 14 games, one division win, two conference wins, both against wildcard candidates.  Go 8-6 the rest of the way to get to 10-6 and a likely wildcard berth.

Unlike fans of other teams, we are going to know in 4 days whether or not we have a playoff team.  It's sort of cool, actually.

SAR I

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, jgb said:

Wow pre-calling the season as toast by week 2 on the third day of training camp. #JetsLife

Don't get me wrong-

I believe we have a very good shot at going 2-0.  The Bengals are beatable early in the season.  We should have beaten the Bills both times last year.

No one is pre-calling the season as over.  But I am stating emphatically that if we go 2-0 we will make the playoffs.  That's anything but pessimistic.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Don't get me wrong-

I believe we have a very good shot at going 2-0.  The Bengals are beatable early in the season.  We should have beaten the Bills both times last year.

No one is pre-calling the season as over.  But I am stating emphatically that if we go 2-0 we will make the playoffs.  That's anything but pessimistic.

SAR I

You called the season over if we go 1-1 after week 2. Damn son, I am a darksider but you just devoured the sun with this thread.

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

disagree. the jets could go 1-1, then beat kc which is overrated.  steelers are also beatable, their defense stinks.  and i'll say it now - jets are beating seattle.

No.

After the first 2 games, the Jets have 6 games remaining against playoff teams and 8 against non-playoff teams.  We get in by going 2-4 against playoff teams and 6-2 against non-playoff teams.  I believe that is all we are capable of.

SAR I

12 minutes ago, jbt said:

they really screwed us with our schedule this year.

just can't go 0-2

Correct.

But, if we can go 2-0, very do-able, we can play to our potential and get to 10-6.  It's only 1 game over .500 from there with 6 games against playoff teams and 8 against non-playoff teams.

As I said, it's a 4 day season.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

No.

After the first 2 games, the Jets have 6 games remaining against playoff teams and 8 against non-playoff teams.  We get in by going 2-4 against playoff teams and 6-2 against non-playoff teams.  I believe that is all we are capable of.

SAR I

i think the worst part of the schedule isn't how difficult it is - it's that the pattern is H A A H A A H A A.  i am completely at a loss to understand how the jets could have only 3 of their first 9 games at home.  wft?

17 minutes ago, SAR I said:

9/11 - Bengals at Jets

9/15 - Jets at Bills

We can have a lot of talk and a lot of speculation, but in the end the Jets season boils down to 4 days.  Week 1, 2 games, all the marbles right there.

If the Jets go 0-2, lights out.

If the Jets go 1-1, lights out.

If the Jets go 2-0, we're set for a good season.  We'd only have to go 1 game above .500 for the remaining 14 games, one division win, two conference wins, both against wildcard candidates.  Go 8-6 the rest of the way to get to 10-6 and a likely wildcard berth.

Unlike fans of other teams, we are going to know in 4 days whether or not we have a playoff team.  It's sort of cool, actually.

SAR I

Sure, seasons over in Sept.  Lol

I learned long time ago never overestimate the impact of "difficult schedule." So much changes year to year in NFL it's really not worth worrying about. Not to mention we are matched same as our division rivals.

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i think the worst part of the schedule isn't how difficult it is - it's that the pattern is H A A H A A H A A.  i am completely at a loss to understand how the jets could have only 3 of their first 9 games at home.  wft?

Agreed, and don't forget 3 of the last 4 at 8:30 PM in cold, windy climates where a finesse passing offense is at a major disadvantage.

Could be the worst schedule in NFL history if not for the 1969 Jets who despite being defending World Champions opened the season with their first 5 games on the road.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Sure, seasons over in Sept.  Lol

If we go 0-2, that is a fact.

We are not going to go 10-4 the rest of the way with that schedule.  We would have to go 4-2 against playoff teams and 6-2 against non-playoff teams, it's a fantasy.  It's a 4 day season.  We know our fate at midnight September 15.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

I learned long time ago never overestimate the impact of "difficult schedule." So much changes year to year in NFL it's really not worth worrying about. Not to mention we are matched same as our division rivals.

Can't these people just look at last season?  In Indy, penciled that one as a loss.  Houston penciled in as a win.  Then their QB goes out.  No one knows exactly what a team will be in the winter

Michael Bennett vs whoever our RT will be could and probably will get ugly. Luckily we're home that game. But I thin we lose that one.

Not scared of the Bengals, and I don't think we'll be swept by the Bills again, so whichever one we win, I think there will be one.

The Chiefs game, if we win that, I think that'll arguably be tougher than beating NE at home. Our last six games have been within one score of the Pats, we'll continue to matchup well with them IMO, though, splitting.

The fins, are the phins. They haven't exactly gotten better, so I think we'll sweep them.

Steelers are beatable, but they are tough. If Le'Veon ends up missing time, and that's his first game back, I think we'll have a nice advantage on defense. And as someone else said earlier, their defense is pretty bad once you ignore their front 7. It's no gimme whatsoever. I think we lose that game.

Colts are the same team we played last year, and to use the same words as I used last year when I predicted our victory against them, I think we'll "smack" them again. But I think it'll be a closer game this time. That's a win.

Browns is a win

Cards are a loss. They really upgraded their pass rush, and I think we'll really match up terribly and lose.

Ravens will still probably suck, but this sticks out to me as a trap game. All those old guys on their team that got hurt are a year older and coming off injuries. I think it's still a win.

Rams pass rush has the ability to change the game, but I don't think Bowles will allow Goff an easy game. We win this game.

That leaves the 9ers, which I think is an easy W.

I think we'll finish 9-7, though I just described a 10-6 season. We'll lose one we're probably not suppsoed to

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Can't these people just look at last season?  In Indy, penciled that one as a loss.  Houston penciled in as a win.  Then their QB goes out.  No one knows exactly what a team will be in the winter

Somebody has to win the division. We've all got mostly same opponents. I don't get it.

Just now, Beerfish said:

But what about one porsche vs 3 bmws???????

That depends on the Porsche.  I'd take a 911, I've had them over anything.  The Boxster S and the Cayman are great everyday driving cars.  Two BMWs?  Tough but I'd take one great car over two good cars if space etc weren't in play

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If we go 0-2, that is a fact.

We are not going to go 10-4 the rest of the way with that schedule.

SAR I

Not a fact, your opinion.  There is no fact that tells you they can or can't do something.  ?

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

Sure, but it is just as likely that the Ravens and Colts re-emerge as it is the Chiefs and Cardinals to fade.  In the end, it balances itself out and the deck is stacked against us, we don't have a cupcake schedule going in, we don't get the benefit of the non-Brady Patriots, we have games in the cold wind at the wrong time, it's not going to be easy.

But if we go 2-0, we are good enough to go 1 game over .500 the rest of the way and that should get us a wildcard.  Facepaint and cowbell's required September 11-15.  All the marbles right there.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Sure, but it is just as likely that the Ravens and Colts re-emerge as it is the Chiefs and Cardinals to fade.  In the end, it balances itself out and the deck is stacked against us, we don't have a cupcake schedule going in, we don't get the benefit of the non-Brady Patriots, we have games in the cold wind at the wrong time, it's not going to be easy.

But if we go 2-0, we are good enough to go 1 game over .500 the rest of the way and that should get us a wildcard.  Facepaint and cowbell's required September 11-15.  All the marbles right there.

SAR I

ok

Whaaaaa? This is silly. There's a million different ways the season could play out. Including injuries to key players within our division or on very good teams on our schedule. And including the Jets going 10-6 and missing out on the playoffs.

The first two games mean very little depending on how the team plays.

If anything, you have to look at the first 6 games, the toughest stretch of the season. Bengals, Bills, Chiefs, Hawks, Pitt, Cards. If the Jets can come out of it with a few wins, maybe even .500 or better, they will be brimming with confidence and set for a run at the playoffs. 

You could also look at the first 10 games, with a bye in the 11th. After a slew of tough opponents in the first 6 weeks, the Jets schedule eases up with the Ravens, Browns, Dolphins, Rams. If they struggle in the first 6 weeks (lets say they win 2 of 6) but sweep the next 4, they should be fine, going into the bye at 6-4. If they get some wins early against tough teams, well, all the better. BUT- if they can't beat teams like the Browns, Rams, Dolphins, they will be in trouble.        

But looking at the first two games to make any kind of season prediction is pretty silly, IMO. 

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

well the bengals 1st round pick, cb william jackson, just tore his peck - doubt he's ready for the opener.  

i think the jets beat the bengals and seahawks.  not sure about buffalo.  some of these teams have obvious flaws like pittsburgh.  

I agree. I think Seahawks regressed this offseason due to the cap and inability to keep players. They did not improve their O-line much, a BIG need. They lost some players on the defense. They had a lot of draft picks, which is a risky thing to rely on. Pitt has obvious flaws in the secondary and lost WR depth. If the Jets D steps up against the Chiefs run game, Alex Smith will be forced to win it with his arm. I'm not sure thats a lock, even at home.  I think Buffalo will be a close game, and the Jets will definitely want revenge. 

Bottom line, especially against these tough teams, the Jets defense will keep them in games. 

4 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Shehawks started 0-2 and then 2-4 last year. They did ok. 0-2 is not the end of the world. 

not the end of the world but with @Chiefs, Seahwaks, @Steelers, @Cardinlas, Ravens coming up next it would be nice not be in an 0-2 hole

Just now, jbt said:

not the end of the world but with @Chiefs, Seahwaks, @Steelers, @Cardinlas, Ravens coming up next it would be nice not be in an 0-2 hole

2-4 wouldn't be bad considering we only have Pats as the only playoff team to play afterwards. Even if we lose out to them, 10-6 will get you in most seasons. But then again, if we were to lose every game we play against a good opponent, we won't do much damage in the playoffs. 

Archived