RV - Anyone here own one?

Maxman

5 minutes ago, De-Jet-Erate/Duane said:

Phil you should schedule the inspection BEFORE you negotiate the price! 

Thanks. The RVs I am looking at are multiple states away. I am paying $700 for a certified inspection. So I have to do it this way unfortunately. Basically I am just trying to see who will come down the most price wise. Agree to a price based on the RV having no problems that I don't know about. Then the inspection, if it comes back with what we think....we fly there and buy it. If the inspection comes back bad, I would either walk away or talk to the seller about a lower price.

Hopefully i can get it done right the first time. Don't want to keep shelling out $700 for inspections. :)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Did you close the deal yet?

Not yet, working on a few. A few local buyers are in the way lol. Once they drop out the negotiations will get easier. 

I absolutely can not wait to post pictures.

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Don't let Max fool you. He wants to cook Meth with Sperm just like Walter White and Jesse Pinkman. 

loading the crystal cruiser up. Just remember to bring a spare battery or make sure the ignition switch buzzes when the keys are left in and you are golden.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:43 AM, Maxman said:

I am SERIOUSLY considering it. I found a 2007 RV with 29,000 miles on it. Really close to scheduling an inspection right after we agree to a purchase price. Tailgating would be so much fun in this thing!

do it! glad you found late model with low miles NOT new as you save a TON PLUS you went with an RV vs a super gay travel trailer.

I would recommend an RV for anyone interested. Not only fun for tailgating but going on vacations as well. Also good to tow the rare boat or trailer around when needed. RV insurance is cheap so if you have a place to store it your set.

a few things:

1. go smaller vs bigger. I had a 36 ft, now I have a 24 ft. Yes its smaller but its not much of a difference when considering practical living space needed and much easier to back up in and make u turns in. if like to get a 19 foot

2. watch your tires....smaller rvs use 10ply tires that are MUCH cheaper than bigger rvs. big rv tires are $330 a pop while smaller ones can be had for half. Also when you need to change them, its a cost so look for dry rot/cracking on a used coach. don't bother with thread because rvs never go low on thread its all about cracking and dry rot. at least when you change them your good for 5 + years

3. if at all possible, look for fiberglass shell with the least amount of possible water entry points. rvs get ruined by water intrusion.

40 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I would recommend an RV for anyone interested. Not only fun for tailgating but going on vacations as well. Also good to tow the rare boat or trailer around when needed. RV insurance is cheap so if you have a place to store it your set.

a few things:

1. go smaller vs bigger. I had a 36 ft, now I have a 24 ft. Yes its smaller but its not much of a difference when considering practical living space needed and much easier to back up in and make u turns in. if like to get a 19 foot

2. watch your tires....smaller rvs use 10ply tires that are MUCH cheaper than bigger rvs. big rv tires are $330 a pop while smaller ones can be had for half. Also when you need to change them, its a cost so look for dry rot/cracking on a used coach. don't bother with thread because rvs never go low on thread its all about cracking and dry rot. at least when you change them your good for 5 + years

3. if at all possible, look for fiberglass shell with the least amount of possible water entry points. rvs get ruined by water intrusion.

Good advice.  ^

Make sure your inspector does a  thorough evaluation of all wiring. These type vehicles sit for long periods of time giving mice time to set up camp and chew wires.

Also if there is a gen set included it needs to be tested.

BTW, how does the parking at Metlife work with these vehcles?

4 hours ago, De-Jet-Erate/Duane said:

Buy it because I sold mine and need a place to tailgate this season

He will need security too. While Shane is rugged he's just too nice to be head of security. We need you with your "Nobody ******* sh*ts in the Kingsley mother ****er" acronym to scare off unwanted visitors.

This is my current baby.  Its a 1995. I bought it 2 years ago on cl.  The guy listed it for 2900. Then he told me to drive down and hed take 2500. When i mentioned i go to music festivals he said he used to play  hed said hed throw in a usa fender telecaster.  Then he said 2400. So i drove an hour and brought her home.  I sold the tele for 600 o  cl which means i paid 1800 in the end.  65k miles,  runs Nd drives like new.  Almost everything works.  I had to fix a few things but ive got dash ac,  roof ac,  generator,  gas stove,  gas and ac fridge(the best you can drive and not be hooked up to ac or running a genny and have a fridge chilling away),  central heat,  hot water,  microwave and more. 

I love toys.  I love boats.  Rvs are the most fun and the least headaches.  Max get one

20141125_144715.jpg

Also always make sure to run your genny at least 1/2 hr a month under load.  Gennys need to keep moving to avoid brush issues and dirty carbs.  In fact at least once a month make sure you start her and the genny and drive her for a half hour to keep your seals lubed and mechanicals happy

On 8/4/2016 at 0:43 AM, Maxman said:

I am SERIOUSLY considering it. I found a 2007 RV with 29,000 miles on it. Really close to scheduling an inspection right after we agree to a purchase price. Tailgating would be so much fun in this thing!

Like this one, right?

RVLemonLaw.jpg

20 hours ago, HighPitch said:

do it! glad you found late model with low miles NOT new as you save a TON PLUS you went with an RV vs a super gay travel trailer.

The depreciation on the new models is brutal. And the more I read everyone seems to have so many issues with new units. It takes months of warranty work to get everything right. I prefer to save the money and start out letting someone else take the depreciation hit. I wish I had more money to spend on this one, but that is always the case. I think I found a nice compromise. Hoping that my offer is accepted. I came in low but there are 3 similar units that I would be comfortable with. So I will try to get one of them at my price. Gonna find out who is the most motivated to sell I guess.

20 hours ago, HighPitch said:

a few things:

Awesome thoughts. Someone I trust a lot that has driven one for years gave me very similar advice. The RV I am trying to get has 2007 \ 29,000 mile original tires. The first thing I plan on doing is replacing them.

Smaller \ bigger - totally agree. This unit is 31 feet. There are 37 feet models that have bunkbeds and stuff like that but I am trying to keep it smaller to make it easier to get around. I had been looking at the 26 foot Thor Axis \ Vegas models. But I think they are going to be too small, we will routinely have 6 people with us for weekend trips.

Fiberglass shell.....the guy I was bouncing this off of said the exact same thing. Really good feedback, thank you.

20 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Good advice.  ^

Make sure your inspector does a  thorough evaluation of all wiring. These type vehicles sit for long periods of time giving mice time to set up camp and chew wires.

Also if there is a gen set included it needs to be tested.

BTW, how does the parking at Metlife work with these vehcles?

Wiring is part of the inspection report. Never thought about mice but that makes sense. But you pay a lot because they test everything.

And parking at Metlife, I actually don't know. I plan on calling the Jets next week to find out. I am sure I will have to pay for a more expensive parking pass since I will be taking up more space.

17 hours ago, BP said:

He will need security too. While Shane is rugged he's just too nice to be head of security. We need you with your "Nobody ******* sh*ts in the Kingsley mother ****er" acronym to scare off unwanted visitors.

My son Shane will have to bring out the inner frat boy in him. But one of his friends who is 6'5" wants to go and tailgate and just watch games on the TV while we go in to the Jets game. Sounds like a great head of security. I will probably have to spring for a JetNation Security shirt. So it will be close, have to check the budget to see if we can swing it LOL!!!!!!

16 hours ago, HighPitch said:

This is my current baby.  Its a 1995. I bought it 2 years ago on cl.  The guy listed it for 2900. Then he told me to drive down and hed take 2500. When i mentioned i go to music festivals he said he used to play  hed said hed throw in a usa fender telecaster.  Then he said 2400. So i drove an hour and brought her home.  I sold the tele for 600 o  cl which means i paid 1800 in the end.  65k miles,  runs Nd drives like new.  Almost everything works.  I had to fix a few things but ive got dash ac,  roof ac,  generator,  gas stove,  gas and ac fridge(the best you can drive and not be hooked up to ac or running a genny and have a fridge chilling away),  central heat,  hot water,  microwave and more. 

I love toys.  I love boats.  Rvs are the most fun and the least headaches.  Max get one

20141125_144715.jpg

You got me all pumped up now man.

I am definitely doing this. I will have it for the opener! Can't wait.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

My son Shane will have to bring out the inner frat boy in him. But one of his friends who is 6'5" wants to go and tailgate and just watch games on the TV while we go in to the Jets game. Sounds like a great head of security. I will probably have to spring for a JetNation Security shirt. So it will be close, have to check the budget to see if we can swing it LOL!!!!!!

Lol at JN security shirts.  

On 8/4/2016 at 0:43 PM, Maxman said:

My dad just bought one

Mike+Freer+camper+van.jpg

On 8/4/2016 at 0:43 AM, Maxman said:

So... couple of questions, because I've considered buying one too - for camping and 2-3 games a year.

The Metlife website says one space per car. It also says RVs and large vehicles are not permitted to park in the parking decks. I've never come to a game with this top of mind, so I've never paid any attention at all... but I know I've seen people with full blown setups, canopies open, direct tv dishes, etc.

So, where do you park it, how do you ensure you have enough space for your tailgate setup, and can you stay overnight in the lot? 

On 8/10/2016 at 0:33 PM, Maxman said:

Wiring is part of the inspection report. Never thought about mice but that makes sense. But you pay a lot because they test everything.

And parking at Metlife, I actually don't know. I plan on calling the Jets next week to find out. I am sure I will have to pay for a more expensive parking pass since I will be taking up more space.

Oh, I just saw this... I guess let us know what you find out?

Still though, do you know if people stay the night? For me, living out-of-state, that'd be the ideal... come down, drink, Jets, sleep, drive home next day.

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Oh, I just saw this... I guess let us know what you find out?

Still though, do you know if people stay the night? For me, living out-of-state, that'd be the ideal... come down, drink, Jets, sleep, drive home next day.

Unless things have changed you cannot stay over night. We did that all the time years ago but they stopped that when they opened the new stadium.

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

59 minutes ago, De-Jet-Erate/Duane said:

Unless things have changed you cannot stay over night. We did that all the time years ago but they stopped that when they opened the new stadium.

Lol I remember the first time I met you knocking on the Kingsley door at 6-7 am on game day and you were still lit up from the night before. That's back when Bertha was head of JN security 

Archived