OC Chan Gailey.. re our 4 QB's ~ ~ ~

kelly

-- This four-quarterback thing isn't easy, according to New York Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey."You're trying to get guys ready to play the season, and evaluate other guys, and it's very difficult," Gailey said on Tuesday. "That's what we're trying to do at this time, and it's not easy."

Get used to it. General manager Mike Maccagnan has said he's open to keeping four QBs on the final 53-man roster.

Obviously, the priority is to prepare starter Ryan Fitzpatrick and backupGeno Smith for the regular season. On a typical day, they'll combine for 80 to 90 percent of the practice reps, leaving only the scraps for Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty.Most affected by the crowded situation is Petty, who needs to demonstrate progress to solidify a roster spot in his second season. The organization isn't rushing Hackenberg at all, and it seems content to chalk this up as essentially a redshirt year. As a second-round pick, he's not going anywhere. He gets very few reps, though, which stunts his development.

Gailey admitted it's hard to get an accurate read on Hackenberg.

"Yes, he's grown," Gailey said. "It's hard to tell how much because he's not getting the reps to really figure out how much. But I'm sure he has grown. I think that's what he'd say, that he has learned a ton about the game."Yet even the casual observer can see that Hackenberg is struggling with his accuracy. His footwork seems mechanical at times, even on handoffs. He's learning. Petty, meanwhile, is "throwing the ball a lot more accurately" than last year, according to Gailey.

As for the two veterans, Fitzpatrick was "rusty" on some new plays, said Gailey, who didn't seem concerned by his starter's long layoff in the offseason. Gailey said he's pleased with Smith, adding: "He's playing very intelligently and throwing that ball accurately."Fitzpatrick's return on the eve of training camp fueled speculation about Smith's roster spot, but Gailey sounds like he doesn't want to break up the Fitzpatrick-Smith tandem.

"Yes, [Smith] has proven that he can go out and play in ball games and win ball games, and you're right, a lot of people don't have that," Gailey said. "And that's a good thing for us to be able to say we have. Not very many teams have it [in a backup]."

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/61975/jets-oc-chan-gailey-managing-four-quarterbacks-is-very-difficult

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christian Hackenberg, the Jets' rookie second-round draft pick quarterback, has received minimal 11-on-11 team periods reps in this training camp. That's just the reality of having four quarterbacks, as the Jets do. 

How, then, can Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey evaluate and develop Hackenberg, with such limited reps ? "It's not easy, but you have to go with every snap that he gets, every rep that he takes, not only in team situations, but in one-on-ones and everywhere," Gailey said after Tuesday's practice. "You try to evaluate every one of those." 

Hackenberg got just four team periods reps in Tuesday's practice, the Jets' last full workout before Thursday night's preseason opener against the Jaguars. It is not clear how much Hackenberg will play Thursday, if at all. Jets coach Todd Bowles would not say Tuesday if all four of his quarterbacks will play Thursday. 

In this camp, the Jets obviously need to get starter Ryan Fitzpatrick and backup Geno Smith ready for the season.They also must evaluate No. 3 quarterback Bryce Petty, a second-year pro, and determine what they'll do with him — cut him altogether, cut him and try to stash him on their practice squad, or keep him on their 53-man active roster. The latter option would mean the Jets retaining four quarterbacks, which is uncommon. 

All of that leaves very few team periods practice reps for Hackenberg. 

"You have X number of reps in practice and in games," Gailey said of the challenges of having four quarterbacks in camp. "You're trying to get guys ready to play the season and evaluate other guys. It's very difficult. That's what we're trying to do at this time, and it's not easy." 

Gailey has seen some progress from Hackenberg, though it is clearly way too soon to determine if Hackenberg can be the Jets' future starting quarterback."Yeah, he's grown," Gailey said. "It's hard to tell how much, because he's not getting the reps to really figure out how much. I'm sure he has grown. I think that's what he'd say, that he's learned a ton about the game.

"I think we all see his potential and what he can be. He's got all the tools. It's just a matter of him learning what needs to be done here, and then going out and doing it on a consistent basis. That's the key, is consistency in this league." Hackenberg's biggest challenge entering the NFL was to improve his accuracy. At some point, that might mean overhauling his throwing mechanics and/or footwork. But Gailey doesn't want to do that right now. And why not ?

"We suggest things here and there [with mechanics]," Gailey said. "But it's hard to change guys completely mechanically in a preseason situation like this. You let him do what got him here. And then you take a full offseason,if you think there needs to be some changes.And that's where you implement real changes."You might make suggestions here and there

. If he wants to work on it a little bit, then you allow him to do that. But going out and trying to make some kind of wholesale change

, no, we wouldn't do that.

"I think that, in general, it takes thousands of reps to change a habit. So if you're going to change a habit, you need thousands of offseason reps. You don't need a few hundred throws a week. That's a big difference." 

>  http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/how_can_jets_chan_gailey_evaluate_christian_hacken.html#incart_river_index

Christian Hackenberg made his way off the practice field Monday carrying three helmets — his own and those of fellow Jets quarterbacks Ryan Fitzpatrick and Bryce Petty. Welcome to the life of a rookie in the NFL.

“I’ve been trying to be as quiet and as friendly as I can so I don’t get stuck with stuff,” Hackenberg said a few moments after putting the helmets down.Hackenberg, the team’s second-round pick, has faced a lot more challenges than just rookie chores in his first training camp. The 21-year-old is trying to pick up a new offense while only getting a few reps in every practice. Hackenberg is the fourth of four quarterback on the depth chart. That means limited opportunities in practice with Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith and Petty ahead of him.

“I just try to get them [reps] mentally while I’m out there whether it is going through the reads or whatever,” Hackenberg said. “I stand behind the play or in the film room. I try to do something afterward with Bryce or Fitz and try to get something from that. It’s been going well. It’s part of the process. It’s a marathon, not a race. I’m just trying to take it day by day and be as prepared as I can when I get those opportunities.”

The Jets’ plan since drafting Hackenberg out of Penn State has been to let him sit and watch in 2016. They hope he can pick up some tips from the veteran Fitzpatrick and then challenge for the job in 2017.“Christian is a sponge,” Fitzpatrick said. “He’s a very smart kid and I think that pops off right away. He’s got a lot of work to do, and he knows it.”

On Monday, Hackenberg stayed on the field after practice ended with Petty and Fitzpatrick, running through some different things. It is nearly a daily occurrence to see Hackenberg putting in extra work.“It’s awesome that as a young kid he wants to do that,” Petty said. “It’s tough. He’s been a starter ever since he’s played. This role is different to him probably. I’m kind of used to work behind the scenes. You’ve got to get that work somehow, whether it’s film study, whether it’s going over scripts, whether it’s coming out here after practice and doing things, trying to do the extra where when you get in there, it becomes natural.”

Petty is right. This is the first time since his sophomore year in high school that Hackenberg was not the starting quarterback. After three years of being the man at Penn State, he now has to sit back and watch. But Hackenberg is not complaining.

“Fitz is a guy who has been in it for 12 years now. Geno’s had some experience up here and had some success as well. There’s a lot of guys in our room that I can learn from and Bryce what he learned last year as a rookie,” Hackenberg said. “I just try to stay as narrow-minded as I can and [I’m] just very focused on what is being asked of me both by my teammates and my coaches and do that 1,000 percent. As long as I keep doing that, I feel as the opportunities come I’ll be able to take them head on.”

The Jets’ first preseason game is Thursday night against the Jaguars. Jets coach Todd Bowles said the coaches have not decided yet how much each quarterback will play. There is a chance Hackenberg won’t get to play at all.

In practice, Hackenberg has looked good on some deep throws and shaky on short ones. In short, he looks like a rookie. He said he is not even trying to measure his progress right now.“I haven’t even had a chance to sit down and think about that,” he said. “I think it’s more so of at the end of the day, if I can say I went out there and I did everything I could do and I’m ready for the next challenge and I learned something, I think that’s a big takeaway for me. As long as I continue to do that, I’ll be ready to roll.”

>        https://nypost.com/2016/08/08/camp-for-christian-hackenberg-just-waiting-for-a-chance/amp/

I don't see how the Jets don't keep four QB's unless...

1. They decide to go into the season with 2 backup QB's who haven't played a single snap in the NFL, not unprecedented but always risky.

2. They feel that Bryce Petty isn't going to cut it and move on from him. And I don't think they've come to that conclusion.

I feel like the only guy to cut is Geno at this point, but I actually do think the Jets believe he can win some games for them should Fitz suffer some type of injury. I think they're going to be keeping 4 QB's. To bad they can't just not carry a FB and teach a TE to line up back there when they need to use one.

It's been virtually impossible to truly evaluate Hacknberg at this point. Chan Gailey said as much. The Jets are making the time to fix him. They are apparently comfortable with red-shirting him this year, having him learn the playbook and defenses during the season and then incorporating that into his fundamentals rehab in the offseason.

His reps all depend on Bryce Petty. If Petty is horrible this month he may get cut or practice squad, giving Hackenberg more reps in practice. But if Petty is good, he'll be #2 behind a resigned Fitz or Geno next year, while Hackenberg gets his first full off season to truly evaluate him. 

Clearly this regime is all about long term development at the quarterback position. They haven't rushed Petty and aren't rushing Hackenberg. Even people like me who wantes the Jets to draft Hackenberg thought he'd be able to play or even be ready as a #2 this year.

This year and next years off season, mini and training camps are all about learning and developing. 

53 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I don't see how the Jets don't keep four QB's unless...

1. They decide to go into the season with 2 backup QB's who haven't played a single snap in the NFL, not unprecedented but always risky.

2. They feel that Bryce Petty isn't going to cut it and move on from him. And I don't think they've come to that conclusion.

I feel like the only guy to cut is Geno at this point, but I actually do think the Jets believe he can win some games for them should Fitz suffer some type of injury. I think they're going to be keeping 4 QB's. To bad they can't just not carry a FB and teach a TE to line up back there when they need to use one.

Petty to the practice squad.  No one  will pick him up.  Every team has a Petty that they've put some time into and is their project.  No one wants our project.

1 hour ago, kelly said:

Christian Hackenberg made his way off the practice field Monday carrying three helmets — his own and those of fellow Jets quarterbacks Ryan Fitzpatrick and Bryce Petty.

1 hour ago, kelly said:

"I stand behind the play or in the film room. I try to do something afterward with Bryce or Fitz and try to get something from that."

1 hour ago, kelly said:

On Monday, Hackenberg stayed on the field after practice ended with Petty and Fitzpatrick, running through some different things.

This is really the most damning indictment of Geno Smith, and the main reason why Fitzpatrick is here. Geno is not a leader, and he's not a mentor. His social personality will always be an obstacle to his being a successful NFL QB. He's an introvert. He doesn't naturally socialize. He'll never be the guy texting plays to his WRs at all hours. It's something he should be working on right now, trying to work with Petty and Hack, himself. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

This is really the most damning indictment of Geno Smith, and the main reason why Fitzpatrick is here. Geno is not a leader, and he's not a mentor. His social personality will always be an obstacle to his being a successful NFL QB. He's an introvert. He doesn't naturally socialize. He'll never be the guy texting plays to his WRs at all hours. It's something he should be working on right now, trying to work with Petty and Hack, himself. 

actually i interpret it a different way.  i think he believes he doesn't need the extra work.  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

actually i interpret it a different way.  i think he believes he doesn't need the extra work.  

He did a ton of work in the offseason, started the OTAs. He doesn't seem averse to work. He is, however, averse to working with others - particularly rivals for his position. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

He did a ton of work in the offseason, started the OTAs. He doesn't seem averse to work. He is, however, averse to working with others - particularly rivals for his position. 

his aura is negative.  you rarely see him smiling.  for most positions in sports you don't need to be a leader or have a personality.  for qb it's critical.  he doesn't come across as a team player, i agree.  i may be wrong but i don't recall in his interviews where he talks about the team.  in fact, he said he was auditioning for the entire nfl.  that's basically saying he wants out.  i think mccags would love to move on from geno, but knows petty isn't ready to take over the #2 job.  geno has no trade value and will be a FA after the season, and i can see a scenario where they carry 4 qbs into the season and then at some point cut geno b/c petty has improved and b/c they need his roster spot for another position that was hit with injuries.

20 minutes ago, slats said:

Well said

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

he is who he is.  he's the guy who pouted on draft day and almost went home.  i really don't see any change.  he's a brooder.  he's got skills, but that's not enough to play qb.

Also well said ... He has not learned ... He has not grown ... He is who we thought he was

24 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If we keep 4 quarterbacks on the roster, I am going to be upset about that. And I will write a post explaining how upset I am about it.

Lol. 

Unless Petty absolutely tears it up in the preseason, my guess is he gets cut after the season opener (holding Sheldon's roster place for one game) and slipped onto the practice squad. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

I thought that was odd as well...

19 minutes ago, slats said:

Lol. 

Unless Petty absolutely tears it up in the preseason, my guess is he gets cut after the season opener (holding Sheldon's roster place for one game) and slipped onto the practice squad. 

IMO you've made some excellent posts in this thread, but I have to disagree with your conclusion.

Don't think Petty clears waivers to the PS.  Just can't see the Jets releasing a QB they drafted in the 4th round, who they knew going in was a developmental player.   He showed a few flashes last pre-season, (mostly the Atlanta game)  smith has very little chance to be on the team next year.

Think they will bite the bullet and carry 4 QB's.

If Petty looks horrible first 2 pre-season games, all bets are off.

12 minutes ago, flgreen said:

IMO you've made some excellent posts in this thread, but I have to disagree with your conclusion.

Don't think Petty clears waivers to the PS.  Just can't see the Jets releasing a QB they drafted in the 4th round, who they knew going in was a developmental player.   He showed a few flashes last pre-season, (mostly the Atlanta game)  smith has very little chance to be on the team next year.

Think they will bite the bullet and carry 4 QB's.

If Petty looks horrible first 2 pre-season games, all bets are off.

It'll come down to how much they value him, and how likely they believe that another team will clear a roster spot to steal him off their practice squad. How many teams will drop their own developmental QB who's been with them thru the entire offseason because they see Petty as a sure fire upgrade? I don't think there are that many. 

And just like your qualifier, I said if he's lights out in the preseason that would change things. They could keep four or even cut Geno. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

I don't get the feeling Flacco, Dalton, Cutler, etc text their players or are especially social either. Social nuance, extraversion and the like aren't necessary to succeed in the NFL. If they were of any real importance, guys like Barkley and Tebow would be All-Pros, not a jerk like Flacco. Fitz's shenanigans may work this season but long term he's going to be out of a job if his talent and playing ability don't match the FO's expectations. All Geno has to do is play well and wait. 

1 minute ago, elgoman said:

I don't get the feeling Flacco, Dalton, Cutler, etc text their players or are especially social either. Social nuance, extraversion and the like aren't necessary to succeed in the NFL. If they were of any real importance, guys like Barkley and Tebow would be All-Pros, not a jerk like Flacco. Fitz's shenanigans may work this season but long term he's going to be out of a job if his talent and playing ability don't match the FO's expectations. All Geno has to do is play well and wait. 

You have to have some modicum of success before you can shrug off that aspect of Geno.  He hasn't.  Therefore he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. 

If Geno really is trying to "audition for his next job", he needs to be willing to do the little things to succeed.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You have to have some modicum of success before you can shrug off that aspect of Geno.  He hasn't.  Therefore he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. 

If Geno really is trying to "audition for his next job", he needs to be willing to do the little things to succeed.

The only thing that matters in the NFL is tape and talent. All the little things you're talking about are irrelevant as Cutler, Flacco, Dalton, and other examples etc show. I remember a NFL player saying that for all the criticism RG3 gets for his locker room issues, Big Ben is arguably the worse teammate, with the only difference being that Big Ben wins football games. So again, all Geno has to do is improve, play well and wait. Politics and optics matter, and Geno should be aware of these things, but the most important thing is play. 

As for the two veterans, Fitzpatrick was "rusty" on some new plays, said Gailey, who didn't seem concerned by his starter's long layoff in the offseason. Gailey said he's pleased with Smith, adding: "He's playing very intelligently and throwing that ball accurately."Fitzpatrick's return on the eve of training camp fueled speculation about Smith's roster spot, but Gailey sounds like he doesn't want to break up the Fitzpatrick-Smith tandem.

"Yes, [Smith] has proven that he can go out and play in ball games and win ball games, and you're right, a lot of people don't have that," Gailey said. "And that's a good thing for us to be able to say we have. Not very many teams have it [in a backup]."

Sounds like Geno is the #2 this year according to Chan's comments. Unless Fitz goes down and Geno lights it up he will more than likely be gone next year. It would not be prudent to dump a 4th rounder after one season so they just might hold 4 QB's or figure out a way to keep Petty on hot hold. But I think Petty's the odd man out at this point. Preseason will tell us more.

3 hours ago, slats said:

Lol. 

Agreed. We need too many players in the coming years at every position on offense and DB as well. The Jets don't have roster spots to spare at all. They are in need of gems at a lot of positions and for that you need to play the odds.

49 minutes ago, elgoman said:

The only thing that matters in the NFL is tape and talent. All the little things you're talking about are irrelevant as Cutler, Flacco, Dalton, and other examples etc show. I remember a NFL player saying that for all the criticism RG3 gets for his locker room issues, Big Ben is arguably the worse teammate, with the only difference being that Big Ben wins football games. So again, all Geno has to do is improve, play well and wait. Politics and optics matter, and Geno should be aware of these things, but the most important thing is play. 

And Geno plays poorly.  Exactly.  When you play poorly, those things stand out.  Just like when Cutler plays poorly, his surly attitude does matter, and its a reason he hasn't been consistently successful in the NFL.

Amazing how you guys interpret Geno's action for not being out on the field after practice.

An as always you tilt it in a direction that fits you agenda. Funny also how one poster throws it out there and is soon joined by the rest of the crew to affirm the speculation as pure fact.

How about this for the other side. Geno could not join the other QB's because he had to take a wicked, dump, wiz. Geno didn't join the group because he had a previous appointment. Geno didn't join the group because Chan want to get some one on one time with him to break down film.

The kid as done and said all the right things and busted his butt the offseason. Everyone has including the CS has said he has mature immensely this year.

Yet, you guys continue to drive your hate Geno agenda with every opportunity. An so it continues.

8 hours ago, slats said:

God knows Perty n Hack need the reps. As for Fitz, he owes this much after taking 7 months off. Geno had his own summer camp going with a few other top WRs. I don't remember our leader, Fitz, doing anything football related unless you count golf swings as practice. Let's just not look at one after practice "looking through some stuff" (probably golf related) and discredit Geno's maturity. 

Archived