OC Chan Gailey.. re our 4 QB's ~ ~ ~

kelly

It took 10-plus quarters of football before quarterback  Christian Hackenbergicon-article-link.gif  took a snap in a game as a pro, but on Saturday the Jets’ 2016 second-round draft pick made his NFL debut in the MetLife Bowl.“It was just a cool experience,” he said. “I was just trying to take it in. There was a lot of work that went into that over the years, so to finally get out there was pretty cool.”

Early in the fourth quarter, with the Green & White trailing 14-10, Hackenberg led a seven play, 75-yard drive that culminated on a 10-yard scoring pass to WR  Robby Andersonicon-article-link.gif . The go-ahead touchdown was the last of four consecutive completions.“Christian stepping in there when he did and getting his first action in an NFL game, no matter if it’s preseason or regular season, the butterflies are probably going a little bit,” said Jets QB  Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif . “He came out and led a nice drive to get into the end zone and threw some really nice passes.”

“It was sweet. I wanted to go celebrate with my guys,” Hackenberg said of the touchdown. “I thought it was big for us and the team at that point in time. Robby made a great play, understood the coverage and went to our landmark and he was able to finish that off.”

The celebration was brief. In his third series, Hackenberg made a rookie mistake. From the shadow of his end zone, he was picked off by Giants S Andrew Adams on a pass intended for TE  Wes Saxtonicon-article-link.gif . Two plays later, the Giants’ Ryan Nassib threw the eventual game-winning TD to WR Tavarres King as the visitors claimed a 21-20 victory. “He was up and down,” head coach Todd Bowles said. “He missed some throws, but he made some throws. It was good to get his feet wet.”

The Penn State product, who finished 6 of 16 for 105 yards, will undoubtedly use the experience as a learning one.“I think each week has been better and better, just from feeling more and more comfortable. It’s a new environment,” he said. “Each and every day is an opportunity to learn something and get better at some areas. I think that’s ultimately how I’ve approached everything.”

>    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Hackenberg’s-Jets-Debut-A-Mixed-Bag/26740899-f558-4d2a-a25d-1ae669afbb05

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets coach Todd Bowles said he knows who will get the start at quarterback for the team’s final preseason game on Thursday in Philadelphia. He’s just not ready to reveal the answer quite yet. “We still have some things we might want to talk about,” Bowles said after Saturday night’s 21-20 loss to the Giants. Ryan Fitzpatrick, the team’s starter, will likely be rested against the Eagles, but Bowles isn’t sharing how the snaps will be doled out between backup passers Geno Smith, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg. With less than one week until the Jets have to cut down the roster to 53 players, the one question that looms above all others is whether they will keep four quarterbacks on the roster.

The answer will likely depend on how much confidence the team has in the development of Petty, the team’s fourth-round draft choice in 2015, and Hackenberg, this year’s second-round pick. Petty outplayed Smith earlier in the preseason, but was shaky against the Giants, missing on several throws while completing just five of 10 passes for 59 yards. One of those misses came on a blown screen pass that resulted in a interception return for a touchdown. Facing pressure on the play, Petty’s pass was tipped by linebacker J.T. Thomas and fell into the waiting arms of defensive end Kerry Wynn, who ran it back 73 yards for the score. Petty said he regretted not throwing the ball into the ground.

“Just a really stupid mistake on my part,” he said. “I can’t let that happen.” Hackenberg, who made his long-awaited pro debut Saturday after not playing in the first two preseason games, showed flashes to suggest he might be the Jets’ quarterback of the future, while also displaying examples of why coaches say he isn’t quite ready to play in a game that counts for real. The former Penn State star gave the diehard Jets fans that remained in the crowd on Saturday night something to cheer for when he entered the game with 12:06 left in the fourth quarter, leading a seven-play, 75-yard drive on his first series, capped by a 10-yard touchdown throw to receiver Robbie Anderson. But the rest of the game didn’t go quite so well. Hackenberg completed only two of his final 10 passes, finishing the game six of 16 for 105 yards, with one touchdown and an interception.

On the interception, the Giants defense fooled Hackenberg with a zone blitz, leading to a deflected ball that was picked off by safety Andrew Adams. “That’s something I’ve got to learn from,” Hackenberg said. “I can’t do that.” Bowles wasn’t unduly impressed by the play of any of his quarterbacks on Saturday night, including Fitzpatrick and Smith. “None of them played great. The biggest thing with the quarterbacks is the turnovers,” he said.

“We can’t have the turnovers.” In the first half, Fitzpatrick lost a fumble on the Giants’ 11-yard line on a sack by defensive tackle Damon Harrison. “I wish it would have been a little bit cleaner. Obviously, the turnover in the red zone can’t happen,” Fitzpatrick said. “Glad I got that one out of the way in the preseason.” Fitzpatrick said he thought Hackenberg showed poise in his first game action in the NFL.

“The butterflies are probably going a little bit and he came out and led a nice drive to get into the end zone and threw some really nice passes,” Fitzpatrick said. Although Bowles isn’t quite ready to reveal the rotation for the preseason finale, Hackenberg is likely to get another chance to play on Thursday against the Eagles. “Whenever I get an opportunity, I try to take full advantage of it and do what I’m being coached to do,” Hackenberg said.

“Execute, take command in the huddle, call the plays with confidence and then understand where I’m going with the ball when it’s snapped,” he said.

>      http://prod.static.jets.clubs.nfl.com/assets/docs/clippings/2016/08-August/082916-daily-clips.pdf

The Jets have four quarterbacks but will almost certainly keep only three on the 53-man roster. The odd man out will be either Geno Smith orBryce Petty. Obviously, the Jets would prefer to trade one of them than release one.

But would any team give anything up for Smith or Petty? According to Manish Mehta of theNew York Daily News, the Jets have fielded inquiries from teams with a need at quarterback. Those teams are interested in Smith first, and Petty to a lesser extent.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is entrenched as the Jets’ starter, while Christian Hackenberg’s job is safe as a second-round pick. Petty has played better than Smith in the preseason, which would seem to put Smith’s job in jeopardy.

It’s unlikely that the Jets would get much for Smith in a trade, but some team looking for an experienced backup might be willing to give them a conditional seventh-round pick. That’s better than nothing, and nothing is all the Jets end up with if they cut Smith.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/29/report-jets-have-fielded-calls-about-trading-geno-smith-bryce-petty/

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Hey, if we cut both Geno and Breno we get a $5,464,491 cap haul.   

What about if Thompkins is added to that?

Then scan the waiver wire for a potential OL to sign, hopefully someone good who is a cap casualty.  The former guard from the Eagles who played for the Broncos last year was a late cap casualty-Evan Mathis.

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

What about if Thompkins is added to that?

Then scan the waiver wire for a potential OL to sign, hopefully someone good who is a cap casualty.  The former guard from the Eagles who played for the Broncos last year was a late cap casualty-Evan Mathis.

I forgot about Tompkins but you're absolutely right.  He's another player we can easily do without.  The cap savings there would be $1,671,000 for a new total of $7,135,491.  This is starting to sound like real money.

-- Geno Smith may play on Thursday night in the final preseason game.

Break out the tea leaves, and let's start reading.

Coach Todd Bowles dropped the nugget on Monday, saying, "I haven't decided whether I want to play three or play two" quarterbacks against the Philadelphia Eagles. The three would be Smith, Bryce Petty andChristian Hackenberg, Bowles confirmed. Presumably, it would be Petty and Hackenberg if it's only two.It makes little sense to play Smith, the presumptive No. 2, in a meaningless game, exposing him to potential injury. Most teams use the fourth game to rest their starters and key backups, and the No. 2 quarterback is the most important backup on the team.

Unless Smith isn't the No. 2 quarterback. Maybe, just maybe, the Jets still are mulling options.

Ostensibly, the only reason to play Smith would be to showcase him for a possible trade, clearing the way for a Ryan Fitzpatrick-Petty-Hackenberg depth chart. Sure, Smith could use some work after playing only two series last week (and only 47 snaps over three games), but the reward doesn't justify the risk.If the coaches need to see a solid outing by Smith before committing to him as the No. 2, it would indicate a rather significant slip. Remember, the organization was buzzing about Smith during Fitzpatrick's contract dispute, saying they'd be comfortable with Geno if they encountered life without Fitz.

Yeah, right. There's so much faith in Smith that they coughed up a few extra million to sign Fitzpatrick on the eve of training camp. If there were doubts then, they probably haven't disappeared because Smith hasn't looked good in the preseason.The Jets have one of the most compelling quarterback situations in the NFL -- four quarterbacks and only three spots. It might be four spots, but no team has opened the season with four quarterbacks on their 53-man roster since 2013. If the Jets keep four, it would stun veteran talent evaluators around the league.

"You can't keep four, no way," a longtime personnel executive said. "Nobody can do that. Nobody gets any reps and atrophy sets in. You don't have enough chairs in the room. Somebody would be pissed off. It retards the development of all the backups. It's not good. The way I look at it, you want to learn from history, you don't want to make it."The Jets say they're "willing" to keep four quarterbacks. On the surface, it seems like a ridiculous idea, but Smith is their only backup with experience and Petty hasn't shown enough in the preseason to be the No. 2. This is what you call a quarterback riddle.

Could it be Bowles was spit-balling ideas in front of reporters when he mentioned the possibility of playing Smith ? Doubt it. Bowles doesn't spit ball in public. If Smith plays, it means something is brewing.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62637/playing-jets-backup-qb-geno-smith-in-finale-doesnt-add-up-unless

Should the Jets trade Geno Smith?

Don't lie to yourself. You've likely thought it at some point or another.

The Jets have four quarterbacks on the roster, and in no way, shape or form is keeping four quarterbacks ideal. Some teams keep two. Most keep three. But four? Get out of here.Ryan Fitzpatrick (the starter) and Christian Hackenberg (the presumed future) are roster locks. Bryce Petty is a project, but the only quarterback other than Hackenberg under contract for 2017. That could make Smith expendable. 

The real question isn't should the Jets trade Smith, but would any team actually trade for Smith. 

From a physical point of view, Smith has it all. He stands 6-3 and weighs 221 pounds, has a cannon for an arm and the ability to make any throw on the field. He's still young, too. Smith will turn 26 in October.But mentally, Smith hasn't put it all together. He has struggled reading defenses and consistency has been arguably his biggest flaw. He's also a turnover machine. In 31 career games, Smith has turned the ball over 42 times. 

Still, this is the NFL, where quarterbacks with talent are given a half dozen chances before teams finally give up. Smith's age and physical ability has to intrigue some team in the NFL, no? Maybe one like the Dallas Cowboys, who just lost starter Tony Romo for two months and are looking for a backup to rookie Dak Prescott?

NJ Advance Media talked to six league sources about Smith. We asked them to put their general manager hats on. If their team was in need of a backup quarterback, would Smith be an enticing option? If so, what would they give up to get him? 

The consensus answer?

Not much. 

Of those polled, just one source was willing to give up a pick higher than a conditional sixth-rounder. The source said if his hypothetical team were "incredibly needy," then "maybe" he'd part with a fifth-round pick. An extreme emphasis was put on the word "maybe."Three league sources said a conditional seventh-round pick, which can become a sixth-rounder, was the most likely. Two said a sixth-round pick was "possible," but a long shot.

The fact Smith is in the final year of his rookie contract played a major factor in the lack of compensation, multiple sources said. One source questioned Smith's ability to pick up an offense and contribute in such a short period of time. Teams don't want to give up draft picks for a player they don't believe can play in 2016, and won't be with the team in 2017. It will take someone "desperate" to deal for Smith this summer, said one league source. Smith has talent. There's no denying that. But he needs work, and there isn't much on film to show he's anywhere closed to a finished project. In the Jets' first three preseason games, Smith completed just 53 percent of his passes. He has thrown for 140 yards, with a touchdown and an interception. 

So could the Jets trade Smith ?

Perhaps. But it doesn't look like they'll get much for him. And what they would get, for sure, is the unproven Petty as their backup — an uncertain proposition itself. 

>   http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/what_could_the_jets_get_for_geno_smith_in_a_trade.html#incart_river_index

On second thought, Geno Smith won't play in the New York Jets' final preseason game.

One day after suggesting he might use Smith as one of three quarterbacks against the Philadelphia Eagles, Jets coach Todd Bowles announced Tuesday it'll be Bryce Petty and rookie Christian Hackenberg on Thursday night. That means Smith likely has secured the Jets' No. 2 quarterback job.If that's the case, it's a smart decision by Bowles to not play Smith. It makes no sense to expose your primary backup to potential injury in a game filled mostly with guys who will be unemployed by the end of the weekend.

Bowles said the injury factor was part of the decision, adding, "You want to take a look at the other two guys as well."

There's still some suspense surrounding the Jets' quarterback situation because everyone is wondering whether they'll keep four on the opening-day roster."All four are good football players," Bowles said. "We can keep all four. It's just a matter of battling with the other positions, so that's still up for grabs. We'll have to wait until after this game to see how that plays out."

In other words, do they prefer a fourth quarterback over, say, a 10th offensive lineman? That means Thursday's game is huge for Petty, who could be the odd man out.One new variable: The Minnesota Vikings could be in the market for a quarterback, considering Teddy Bridgewater's freak injury in practice on Tuesday. The severity of Bridgewater's injury isn't yet known, but the Vikings would be left with Shaun Hill if Bridgewater is sidelined.

Would the Vikings place a call to the Jets to inquire about Smith's availability? Things can change quickly in the NFL.

>         http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62686/geno-smith-wont-play-in-jets-finale-meaning-hes-probably-on-safe-ground

Bryce Petty  has learned a lot about the NFL in one year. He now understands that, baby, it can be cold inside."I felt like last year, it was like, 'Hey, this is the NFL, everything is new.' I was bright-eyed," Petty said this week. "This year, it's like: Boom, this is the business part of it."When the New York Jets drafted Christian Hackenberg in April, it was a boommoment for Petty, whose roster spot no longer was a gimme. Here we are, four months later, and he's still battling to secure a spot.

The Jets close the preseason Thursday night against the Philadelphia Eagles, and Petty -- the likely starter -- is playing for huge stakes.

Petty could be playing to make the team or he could be playing to overtake Geno Smith as the No. 2 quarterback. The quarterback depth chart is so muddled -- in part because of mixed signals from the Jets -- that it's hard to decipher. It's a fluid situation, one that will be impacted by Petty's performance, other positions on the roster and trade possibilities (see: Smith, Geno).

Petty is approaching the game as if he's still trying to make the 53-man roster, which is the right mindset.

"I think this game will be big," he said.

Petty and Hackenberg will share the reps in Philadelphia. Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick won't play, according to coach Todd Bowles. Only two are guaranteed roster spots -- Fitzpatrick and Hackenberg. I'm still not 100 percent convinced that Smith will be on the opening-day roster.

Petty remains on edge, not knowing.

"I think it's been that way the whole camp, the whole preseason," he said. "I haven't been told anything. I don't read anything. All I have to go off every day is what I see here (at practice). It's been limited reps since Day 1, so it's been that feeling the whole time."Actually, Petty has more preseason game reps (77) than Smith (47), Hackenberg (23) and even Fitzpatrick (51). The former Baylor star has had one good game, one bad game and one middling game. He's had 16 possessions, including seven punts, three touchdowns and two turnovers.

His numbers aren't great (56-percent completion rate, six sacks, two touchdowns, one interception), but he has made strides from last year. His pocket presence has improved and he sees the field better than his rookie season but still has rough edges. With no regular-season experience, he'd be risky as the No. 2."You want to come in here every day and show they made the right choice in last year's draft, and there's a reason to keep me," said Petty, a fourth-round pick.

"Wherever I end up, whether it's here -- where I want to be -- or somewhere else, I know something good will come out of it," he said.

The stage belongs to him.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62694/jets-qb-bryce-petty-no-longer-a-naive-rookie-ready-for-his-big-audition

You know the drill by now: It's time for another Jets mailbag.But this isn't just any ordinary Jets mailbag. It's the final before the start of the regular season. 

You know what that means ?

Well, not much. Nothing is going to change from a mailbag point of view. OK, enough chit chat, onto the questions 

~ ~  HUGHES : I talked to a handful of league sources this week about the concept of trading Geno Smith to a QB-needy team. In my opinion, you can't let Bryce Petty go. Going into 2017 with only Christian Hackenberg under contract is a big, big no-no. For that, in my opinion, Smith is the only expendable Jets quarterback. 

I was told there isn't a market for Smith. You can read a ton more on it here. Maybe a seventh? Sixth at best? Multiple people told me teams around the league question Smith's ability to pick up an offense quickly. Couple that, with the fact he'll be a free agent after the season, and there's nothing appealing about acquiring him. 

For that, I don't think the Jets trade Smith. It would take a team really, really desperate to make a trade — Vikings or Cowboys (maybe).

rest of above article  : 

>   http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/mailbag_are_jets_interested_in_geoff_schwartz_why.html#incart_river_index

The Jets are entering the final days of their 2016 quarterback debate. Should they retain four quarterbacks on their 53-man active roster? Andwhat should they do with Geno Smith? 

Smith is the Jets' best option for a game-tested backup, so expect them to keep him, unless they've decided that second-year pro Bryce Petty has progressed enough to be Ryan Fitzpatrick's understudy. Smith, 25, hasn't started since his second season, in 2014, after struggling mightily while being thrust into a starting role as a rookie. This year is the last of Smith's rookie contract. There's a good chance he won't be with the Jets in 2017.

With 29 career starts (and 31 total games) under his belt, can Smith ever become a productive NFL starter? At least one NFL analyst thinks so."Yeah, I do," former NFL quarterback Trent Green told NJ Advance Media atTuesday's NFL on CBS media day.

And why, exactly? 

"When I did see him play, he showed flashes of being able to understand the points in the game when you're supposed to take risk and not take risk," Green said. "He showed the ability to move in the pocket. He showed the ability to have the arm strength. He showed all those things. You see all those things, and that's what gives you an idea that he potentially could do it."

Green thinks that Smith being the backup — and sitting and watching — also might have furthered his understanding of the game's nuances. 

"Understanding that, I think that's why he'll be better once he gets a chance," Green said. "Now, you have to go out and do it. You have to go out and perform. But I think he's in a better position now than he was before, because I think he would've benefited from a little more time early on." Presuming Smith doesn't start this season, he'd have two seasons as a starter and two as a backup — basically the reverse of how things should have gone. In retrospect, Smith ideally would not have played as a rookie. Green was an eighth-round draft pick, so his situation isn't entirely comparable to Smith's, since the Jets drafted Smith in Round 2. But Green was a backup for his first five seasons, before becoming a starter. 

"I kept on wanting a chance," Green said. "And I finally got a chance and I was ready to play and my career took off. I understand the notion of wanting to get an opportunity to play. You can learn a lot from just watching and listening. I think Geno would be in a much better place to handle that [starting job] right now than he probably was earlier in his career." 

Of course, teams aren't very patient with quarterback draft picks these days. 

"I waited five years to get on the field," Green said. "That really doesn't happen much anymore. Teams are a lot less patient with that. They want results now. I think Geno would've benefited from waiting. Owners aren't as patient with the coaches either. They're not going to give you four or five years because you're developing a quarterback for three years. It's the same thing for the players also." 

Another NFL on CBS analyst, ex-Jets linebacker Bart Scott, also does not think Smith's potential as a starter is dead. 

Here's Scott: 

"He's been good enough to get you eight wins in a season [in 2013] with a subpar offense. When you're the backup, it's tough. But if something were to happen to Fitzpatrick, and he knew he was the guy, I think it would take a couple games, and he would prepare like the guy, and he would get reps and chemistry. Remember, just last year, everybody was talking about how great he looked, and his biggest cheerleader was Brandon Marshall."I think [Smith] brings something different to this offense, the fact that he can throw the ball down the field. Now, he has to make sure that he can make better decisions. Geno's problem wasn't moving the ball between the 20s. His problem has been his decision making in the red zone and making proper decisions [about] when to throw the ball away, when not to take a sack, when not to have a stupid procedure penalty. All that is judged upon a team that didn't have great personnel.

"With the professionals that he has [now], all he has to do is get it in the general vicinity, and they're going to make the plays. Make no bones about it: Fitzpatrick is a better quarterback because the catch radius of [Eric] Decker and Marshall gives him the ability to not have to throw it in the perfect spot." 

All of that seems fair.

Do you agree with Green and Scott? Disagree? Sound off in the comments. 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/why_jets_geno_smith_could_still_be_a_productive_nf.html#incart_river_index

The quarterback landscape changed dramatically Tuesday, with Teddy Bridgewater's freakish and devastating knee injury. The Minnesota Vikings, left with 36-year-old Shaun Hill as their starter, almost certainly will try to trade for a veteran.

Maybe you've heard : The New York Jets have a surplus of quarterbacks. They're willing to keep four on the 53-man roster -- or so they say -- but grizzled personnel types around the league aren't buying that. They believe the Jets will jettison one of the players, which raises the question:

Could they trade Geno Smith to the Vikings ?

Ostensibly, Smith is the Jets' No. 2 quarterback, but I believe they'd be willing to listen if the Vikings -- or any team, for that matter -- show interest. Even though he's their only backup with regular-season experience, Smith is viewed by some in the organization as a player who has maxed out his potential, whereas Bryce Petty is seen as a quarterback whose arrow is pointing up. Smith hasn't played particularly well in limited reps (47 snaps in three games), which has disappointed some because they felt he'd be better in Year 2 in Chan Gailey's system.

The Jets also can't ignore Smith's contract situation. He will be a free agent after the season, and there's virtually no chance he will return. They will lose him with no compensation. If they trade him now, they can recoup a late-round pick.Smith has "low-level trade value for a few select teams," said an AFC personnel director, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "He's not a commodity. I don't see a guy I'd chase to trade for. You're trading for a backup and he's entering the last year of his deal, so you're getting him for four months. Some teams might just wait for them to cut him loose because they won't carry four quarterbacks."

Do the Vikings want Smith? They have some options, as ESPN colleague John Clayton outlines. No one on the Vikings' offensive coaching staff has a direct connection to Smith, so he'd be coming in cold, having to learn a new system. That takes time.The Jets have several factors to consider before finalizing their depth chart. Let's assume Petty and Christian Hackenberg emerge healthy from the final preseason game. (If one gets hurt, it changes everything.) They have to weigh Petty's development and upside against Smith's experience. Basically, the question they must ask themselves is this: Can we function with Petty if something happens to Ryan Fitzpatrick?

Another question : Could they sneak Petty through waivers and put him on the practice squad? It would be risky.

As coach Todd Bowles noted Tuesday, the decision on whether to keep four quarterbacks will be based, in part, on other positions. It'll be a tough decision for the Jets -- a fascinating decision, especially if they get a call from the Vikings.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62710/could-jets-trade-geno-smith-to-quarterback-needy-vikings

In his second season with the Jets,  Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif  has a bigger arsenal of weapons on his offense. The QB threw for a franchise record 31 touchdowns last season, but CBS Sports’ Trent Green thinks Fitzpatrick is in an even better position this year because of the Jets' offseason acquisitions. 

“The greatest thing at quarterback is you want as many weapons at your disposal as you can possibly get because you’re trying to find matchup issues, you’re trying to find where the best mix-match is for you.” he said.  “When you have weapons like  Brandon Marshallicon-article-link.gif  and  Eric Deckericon-article-link.gif  you already know that you have a matchup on the outside. Now all of a sudden, you move Matt Forte out of the backfield, and that was always something I looked for as a quarterback.”

Fitzpatrick will not play in the Jets’ final preseason game of the year against Philadelphia, but rookie QB Christian Hackenbergicon-article-link.gif  will. Todd Bowles elected not to play the 2016 second-round draft pick until the MetLife Bowl, where he made his NFL debut. The Penn State product had an up and down performance, throwing for 105 yards including one touchdown and one interception.I think it’s a real positive thing,” Green said.  “I’m always concerned when guys are thrown in there too fast so I think it’s a good thing for him. You’re talking to a guy that took five years to get on the field. I was an eighth-round draft pick and I learned so much from being a backup.”

Hackenberg, who started all 38 games under center in Happy Valley, will continue to learn under the tutelage of the 12-year veteran.“If Christian takes advantage of the fact that Fitzpatrick was a similar guy, who really had to pay his dues and learn the system and the league, I think he can learn a lot in that situation,” said Green.Hackenberg will split reps with QB  Bryce Pettyicon-article-link.gif  Thursday night in Philadelphia in the Jets’ last preseason game of the year.

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Trent-Green-Fitzpatrick--Hackenberg-Both-in-Great-Spots/75b27289-bfaa-4387-ae9e-c94ca41f780c

With three weeks of preseason play in the books, Daniel Jeremiah took a look back at how the top-drafted quarterbacks have performed in the extreme early going of their careers, handing out grades, identifying areas for improvement and setting expectations for the rest of the season. NOTE: Only quarterbacks drafted in the fourth round or higher were assessed -- thus, you won't find undrafted rookies like the Seahawks' Trevone Boykin or the Packers' Joe Callahan below.

Without further ado, the QB rookie progress reports :

~ ~ Christian Hackenberg, New York Jets

Drafted : Round 2, No. 51 overall.

Preseason analysis : Hackenberg didn't play in the first two preseason games, but he did show some positive traits in Week 3 action. He has prototypical size and arm strength and he led a nearly flawless touchdown drive. However, after that drive, his lack of poise and inconsistent ball placement were concerning. He can really lock on his first read and get mentally stuck when that throw isn't available. GRADE: C

Areas for improvement : Overall, touch and accuracy are the biggest areas that needs to be improved on.

Expectations for rookie season :   Hackenberg won't see the field this season, and he remains a long-term project at the position. 

rest of above article : 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000693297/article/dak-prescott-paxton-lynch-grade-highest-among-rookie-qbs

— It took a good few minutes before Bryce Petty realized something was wrong. 

After throwing a 44-yard touchdown to receiver Robby Anderson in the first quarter of the Jets' preseason finale against the Eagles, linebacker Bryan Braman planted Petty into the ground. Petty popped up, celebrated the touchdown, and everything appeared to be fine. 

Then Petty tried to throw on the ensuing two-point conversion. 

"That's when I knew something was up," Petty said by his locker. "It was an awful throw. [My shoulder] just felt kind of tight." 

Petty was taken back to the locker room and did not return to the game. The initial diagnosis was simply a shoulder injury. X-rays didn't reveal anything serious, but an MRI Friday morning should tell the true damage. At least right now, it's a wait and see situation for the Jets' second-year quarterback. "It's still on there," Petty said. "So that's a good sign. I think we'll be fine. I think it's just the muscles. I don't know. Like I said, we'll know more tomorrow. That's all I have to say."  Before injuring his shoulder, Petty looked quite good. He had completed four of his six passes for 87 yards and the touchdown to Anderson. Throughout training camp and the preseason, Petty has been fighting for a roster spot. The Jets, right now, have four quarterbacks on the roster. It's obviously not ideal to keep four quarterbacks. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the team's starter, and Geno Smith his battle-tested backup. Christian Hackenberg, whom the Jets selected in the second round of this year's draft, is the presumed quarterback of the future. Petty is the, on paper, odd man out.Except for the fact he's not. If the Jets cut Petty, the team would be going into the 2017 season with just Hackenberg under contract — Smith is on the final year of his rookie contract, and Fitzpatrick's contract is structured so that he will be afree agent after the season. One quarterback, with no NFL experience? That is an even less ideal situation than keeping four quarterbacks in 2016. 

In a way, could Petty's shoulder injury have solved the Jets' quarterback conundrum?

This year, the NFL changed their rules regarding the injured reserve. Gone is the injured reserve – designated to return list. Now, any player placed on the injured reserve at least six weeks is eligible to be activated and returned to the 53-man roster. There does not need to be any pre-labeled designation. This can only be done once, but every player is eligible for the early return. 

What specifically does that mean for Petty and the Jets?

Depending on the results of Petty's MRI on Friday morning, the Jets can place him on the injured reserve. That would remove Petty from the 53-man roster, allowing the Jets to keep just three quarterbacks— Fitzpatrick, Smith and Hackenberg. If Fitzpatrick and Smith stay healthy, Petty can remain on the injured reserve.If Fitzpatrick or Smith were to get injured, the Jets could activate Petty off the injured reserve, after six weeks, once he is healthy, and add him to the 53-man roster. In a way, Petty's placement on the IR would allow the Jets to keep four quarterbacks on the roster, but only numerically have three counting on the 53.Whether Petty stays on the injured reserve all season, or is activated once he is healthy, he will remain under contract with the Jets heading into the 2017 season.

It's the perfect worst-case scenario for the Jets. 

The Jets must trim their roster from 75 players, to 53, by 4 p.m. Saturday. Petty's MRI is scheduled for 10 a.m. Friday. "There will be one or two tough decisions," head coach Todd Bowles said. "We'll meet on it tomorrow, later on tonight, in the morning, and make our decision on who's available. We'll make sure we've got the right guys." 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/could_jets_place_qb_bryce_petty_on_short-term_inju.html#incart_river_index

cimini_rich_m.jpg

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

The new injured-reserve rule could make it easy for the Jets to stash QB Bryce Petty (shoulder) on it. Gone is the designated-for-return category -- i.e. identifying a player for short-term IR. Teams now have the ability to remove ONE player from IR after six weeks and return him to the 53-man roster at any point. But unless Ryan Fitzpatrick and/or Geno Smith is injured, it wouldn't make sense to use the "Get-off-IR free" card on a third-string QB. The downside is that Petty wouldn't get a chance to practice on IR, hurting his development.

>     http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

The Jets got a longer look at second-round quarterback Christian Hackenberg than planned on Thursday night because starterBryce Petty was knocked out of the game with a shoulder injury in the first quarter.

While Hackenberg’s draft position makes him unlikely to get dropped from the roster, his playagainst Eagles backups and future practice squadders did little to dissuade those who thought the Jets reached by taking Hackenberg with the 51st overall pick. Hackenberg was 11-of-31 for 54 yards and threw an interception in the red zone that safety Ed Reynoldstook for a 90-yard touchdown.Reynolds said after the game that he said to himself “there’s no way he is throwing this ball” before Hackenberg, who was under pressure, did just that. Hackenberg said after the game that he should have taken the sack, which was just one of the errors Jets coach Todd Bowles mentioned to the media.

“We can’t turn it over in the red zone,” Bowles said in comments distributed by the Eagles. “Again, second week in a row we give up a touchdown inside the red zone. No matter who the quarterback is, we can’t give up a touchdown. He was up and down. We let rookies play for a long time so we are going to see their errors and their mistakes. With him, there were a lot of people on the field. Sometimes it looked like him and it wasn’t and sometimes it was him. There were a lot of mistakes on the field that we have to clean up, but it was to be expected. ”

The results of tests on Petty’s shoulder should determine what course the Jets take at quarterback as rosters drop to 53 players, but keeping four can’t be ruled out after a preseason that gave little reason to believe Hackenberg should be anywhere close to running the offense this year.

>    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/02/bowles-on-hackenberg-a-lot-of-mistakes-we-need-to-clean-up/

Don't blame Christian Hackenberg; he's doing the best he can. Quite obviously, he's a project -- a major project. His growing pains have been so glaring that some people (mainly, fans) are calling him a bust. If they want to spew venom, they should save it for the New York Jets, who overdrafted him in April.

They picked him in the second round, 51st overall, too high for a quarterback who peaked as a freshman and was regarded by most talent evaluators as a work in progress. General manager Mike Maccagnan went against the crowd, attaching his reputation to the erratic passer from Penn State. This isn't a second guess; it was a widespread feeling on draft night.

The outcome of the Hackenberg pick will have a significant impact on the franchise over the next few years. If he's not starting by 2018 (only hardcore optimists would project him as the 2017 starter), it'll be a major setback and a stain on Maccagnan's record. It's too early to draw a conclusion, but you get the feeling this could be one of those genius-or-dunce scenarios.

NFL Network draft guru Mike Mayock, the color analyst for thePhiladelphia Eagles' preseason telecasts, gave a brutally candid scouting report on Hackenberg on Thursday night."You draw it up like that kid right there -- his size ... huge arm, smart kid," Mayock said on the air when Hackenberg replaced the injured Bryce Petty. "But his (college) tape was frustrating because some of it was really good and a lot of it was really bad. So what you're doing in the second round, you're betting on this kid and his upside."

What the Jets are doing is red-shirting him for a year, so to speak, hoping he's fixed by 2017. Problem is, they will get no production out of their second-round pick, a player who could be starting or contributing in a reserve role. Hackenberg will be the 53rd player on a 53-man roster.The percentages are working against the Jets. Of the 19 quarterbacks drafted in the second round since 2000, only three emerged as longtime starters: Drew Brees (2001, a future Hall of Famer), Colin Kaepernick(2011, now a backup) and Andy Dalton (2011, the Jets' Week 1 opponent). It certainly appears Derek Carr (2014) is on his way to a promising career, and the Houston Texans expect the same from Brock Osweiler (2012) after investing big money.

Jimmy Garoppolo (2014) is in a unique situation, stepping in for the suspended Tom Brady. Garoppolo's jury could be out for a few more years.

Publicly, the Jets have remained positive with Hackenberg, knowing they're in it for the long haul. They came into the preseason with realistic expectations, figuring he'd struggle. And he has.Check out his preseason numbers: 17 completions, 47 attempts (36.2 percent), 159 yards, one touchdown, two interceptions. His passer rating is 35.7. On Thursday night, his yards-per-attempt (1.7) was less than the team's rushing average (2.8). That's not something you see every day. Under duress in the red zone, he made an ill-advised throw that was intercepted and returned 90 yards for a touchdown by safety Ed Reynolds.

"I was like, 'There's no way he's throwing this ball,'" Reynolds said. "And he threw it."

Teams don't make personnel evaluations based on preseason stats (good thing for Hackenberg). They go by their eyes, not the numbers. Anybody can see he's rushing his decisions and displaying the accuracy issues that plagued him in college."When you play an NFL game with a bunch of young guys who have never really played before, there's going to be some miscues and mistakes," coach Todd Bowles said Friday. "It's nothing to get down on. It's something to learn from. Christian is a bright guy, he's got a great football IQ. I'm sure he'll learn from it."

If Hackenberg develops into a winning quarterback, it'll go to the top of Maccagnan's bio in the team's media guide. For now, Hackenberg goes into the "risk" category -- a bigger risk than it should have been.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62784/christian-hackenbergs-role-for-jets-this-season-53rd-out-of-53

The New York Jets will carry four quarterbacks through Saturday's final roster cuts, according to coach Todd Bowles. But that could change in the ensuing days, depending on Bryce Petty's right shoulder.

Petty, who underwent an MRI exam Friday, has a bruise but no structural damage in his throwing shoulder, Bowles said.Petty, who started the preseason finale Thursday night, is a candidate for injured reserve, but it sounds like the team isn't close to making that decision.

On Friday, Bowles offered only one piece of definitive news regarding his much-discussed quarterback depth chart: Geno Smith will open the season as the No. 2, backing up Ryan Fitzpatrick.Rookie Christian Hackenberg, a second-round pick, is a virtual lock to make the team despite struggling in the preseason.

The big question surrounds Petty, who left Lincoln Financial Field late Thursday with his shoulder in a harness and his arm in a sling. He was injured while throwing a 44-yard touchdown pass in a 14-6 loss to thePhiladelphia Eagles."It's too early to tell," said Bowles, commenting on whether the Jets will place Petty on IR. "We're still waiting to see the recovery time. We're going to assess him this week and see how it goes with treatment."

Petty's injury could provide a convenient escape for the Jets, who for several months have been toying with the idea of keeping four quarterbacks on the opening-day roster. No team has done that since 2013. They can stash him on injured reserve, saving a roster spot.

The injured-reserve rules were changed last offseason, providing more flexibility. It allows teams to choose one player -- among the players already on IR -- to return to practice, provided that player has spent at least six weeks on IR. The player would be eligible to play two weeks later.The previous rule required teams to designate the player they wanted to return from IR at the time they placed him on the list, with the same six- and two-week time frames.

rest of above article : 

>     http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17451171/bryce-petty-new-york-jets-no-structural-damage-right-shoulder-status-remains-uncertain

-- Personnel people around the NFL probably are looking at the New York Jets quarterback depth chart and thinking, "Four? Really?"

Yes, really.

The Jets will be the first team since the 2013 Washington Redskins and 2013Minnesota Vikings to carry four on the opening-day roster. Coach Todd Bowles, speaking to reporters Monday for the first time since the final roster cutdown, said that it was an easy decision to keep all four quarterbacks -- Ryan Fitzpatrick, plus backups Geno Smith, Bryce Petty and rookie Christian Hackenberg.

"They all can play, obviously," Bowles said. "They all can play and we’re trying to keep the best football players. Each of them showed enough in the preseason. We'll give Hack a redshirt year and the other three can play."When the Jets drafted Hackenberg in the second round, they were vague when it came to his potential role, leaving it open-ended. Many observers figured he'd spend the year as an apprentice, as Petty did in 2015, but team officials avoided that characterization, perhaps hoping Hackenberg could show something.

It became clear in the offseason, and later in training camp, Hackenberg isn't ready to play.

So he sits.

By grouping Petty with Fitzpatrick and Smith -- the other three can play -- Bowles seemed to indicate the second-year quarterback can be a factor in 2016. A lot can happen over the next few months, but maybe they believe Petty can leapfrog Smith at some point and become the No. 2. That's hard to do when you're limited to practice, but the course of the season dictates how they handle that. For instance, if they fall out of contention, they could promote Petty.

The Jets never gave strong consideration to putting Petty (bruised throwing shoulder) on injured reserve because "he won't be hurt for that long," said Bowles, adding that Petty will be ready in a week or two.Keeping four quarterbacks undoubtedly had an impact on other positions, but Bowles downplayed the notion."I thought it would’ve early in camp, but it actually didn’t," he said. "It worked out just fine."Fitzpatrick doesn't seem to mind the crowded quarterback room.

"Obviously, there's only one that gets to play," he said. "but hopefully I’ll have a lot of helpers during the week, getting game-plan stuff, just in terms of watching film and more sets of eyes."

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62868/jets-rookie-qb-christian-hackenberg-gets-a-red-shirt-year-per-todd-bowles

This isn't the New York Jets' final 53; it's only the initial 53. There will be tinkering, but let's take a look at the current team, shall we ?

OFFENSE

Quarterback (4) -- Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg

Quick take : The Jets will be mocked by people around the league for keeping four quarterbacks -- the first team in three years to do so -- but what was the alternative? They drafted a project who wasn't good enough to beat out last year's project, who wasn't good enough to beat out their 2013 project. The upside: They're covered for the short term and have long-term options. The downside: Hackenberg won't get practice reps, stunting his development.

rest of above article  :  

>   http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62826/why-it-makes-sense-for-jets-to-keep-four-qbs-and-other-roster-nuggets

— It was the most common criticism of Christian Hackenberg coming out of Penn State, and the Jets' rookie quarterback didn't ease any concerns during his two preseason appearances. 

Accuracy, or rather lack thereof. 

In college, Hackenberg hit on just 56 percent of his throws. Against the Giants andEagles this summer, he completed only 17 of 47 passes (36.2 percent).Ugly numbers, no doubt.But one former NFL great says Jet fans shouldn't be concerned with Hackenberg's early struggles."If I'm coaching a quarterback," Rich Gannon told NJ Advance Media at the NFL on CBS media day last week, "I believe I can make him more accurate."

Gannon played 17 seasons in the NFL for the Vikings (1987-1992), Redskins (1993), Chiefs (1995-1998) and Raiders (1998-2004). But it wasn't until 2000, his second season in Oakland, that he completed more than 60 percent of his passes. While Gannon played in a different age, he said it takes time for a quarterback's accuracy to improve. "Say I gave you a gun, and you and I went out to shoot skeets," Gannon, now an NFL analyst, said. "If I told you in three seconds, it's going to come up from that area right there, you'd see it, I'd pull, and you'd have your shot. 

"Now, if I said that in three seconds, the skeets are going to come from either there, there, there, there or there, it would be a lot different." 

Hackenberg needs experience, Gannon said, in order for his accuracy to get better. Right now, he's flustered. In time, he won't be focusing on everything, but just what he needs to see. "When you're able to take the field and cut it in half based on your experiences," Gannon said, "It makes a huge difference. You can look at it and say, 'Oh, it's a high-low read. I need to throw it to the X [receiver] or in the flat.' Once that starts happening, your accuracy starts to get a lot better."

In 2001, Gannon completed 65.8 percent of his passes. In 2002, he completed 67.6 percent. He went from one of the league's most errant passers, to arguably its most accurate. And he believes Hackenberg can see similar improvements. Hackenberg may never be a pin-point passer, but he can get better. "When you're able to process information more quickly and efficiently," Gannon said, "that's when you're able to understand the personnel around you. Everything slows down, and completing those difficult passes isn't as hard." 

"You're not going to take a guy that's a 50 percent passer, and make him hit on 70 percent. But I do believe you can see improvement."     

>        http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/rich_gannon_not_worried_about_christian_hackenberg.html#incart_river_index

When Jets' team doctors diagnosed Bryce Petty with a bruised shoulder suffered in Thursday night's preseason finale against the Eagles, it appeared as if New York's quarterback conundrum was over. 

The Football Gods themselves finalized the debate on keeping, or not keeping, four quarterbacks.

Ryan Fitzpatrick (the starter), Geno Smith (the backup) and rookie Christian Hackenberg (the presumed future) would make the the 53-man roster. The Jets would then place Petty (the project) on the injured reserve.Three QBs on the 53. One off to the side, under contract, but not occupying a roster spot. Perfect, right? Wrong. The Jets passed, deciding against conventional wisdom to keep all four on the 53. 

Why? Well, it actually makes sense: 

Any player on the IR before 4 p.m. Saturday is not permitted to practice with his team during the season. Any player on the IR after 4 p.m. Sunday is eligible (team can only pick one IR-ed player) to return six weeks later, but for those six weeks, he cannot practice, either. The IR-ed player can, technically, work out on his own, but he cannot get any reps at the facility.

If the Jets put Petty on the IR, he would not be allowed to get any on-field instruction, stunting his growth. 

Petty took monumental strides from his rookie season a year ago, to 2016. He overcame a slow start in training camp to finish strong. His play reflected as such in the preseason. Petty was arguably the Jets' most impressive quarterback. Albeit against second- and third-stringers, Petty completed 57 percent of his passes and threw for 481 yards. He tossed three touchdowns and only one interception. Outside of Hackenberg, Petty is the only Jets' quarterback under contract heading into the 2017 season. Smith is in the final year of his rookie contract, and it is highly unlikely he re-signs. The Jets structured Fitzpatrick's contract in such a way that he too will be a free agent next year. 

This means Hackenberg and Petty will be the two players battling it out for the Jets' starting quarterback job in 2017. Now, before you have me committed, odds are the Jets will add a veteran into the mix via free agency— either the return of Fitzpatrick, or another battle-tested backup. But veteran or not, that doesn't make New York's quarterback future any less murky. In this hypothetical situation, the Jets, heading into 2017, would have Hackenberg, a massive question mark. A veteran to-be-named-later, in his first year with the team. And Petty, whose last rep would have been his 44-yard touchdown to Robby Anderson against the Eagles.  

If the preseason showed nothing else, it is that Hackenberg needs much more than a tweak or two before he is ready to start. The Penn State product completed just 17 of 47 passes in his two preseason appearances (36.2 percent). He threw one touchdown andtwo terrible interceptions. In all likelihood, Hackenberg needs two full years of developing before taking the field. By keeping Petty on the 53-man roster, the Jets can continue to develop and work with him. Will he get a massive amount of team work? No. But he will still be there watching Fitzpatrick, and getting instruction from offensive coordinator Chan Gailey and quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo. If he lands on the IR, he won't get any of that until organized team activities next May. 

By the Jets keeping Petty active, and continuing his development, they aren't putting all of their eggs in Hackenberg's basket. if Hackenberg isn't where they want him to be next year, they still have the possibility of Petty. While retaining four quarterbacks isn't an ideal situation, the Jets have no other choice. For their future, they need all on the 53 this year. 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/jets_didnt_ir_injured_reserve_bryce_petty.html#incart_river_index

-- After an anxious offseason as The Quarterback Without A Team, Ryan Fitzpatrick is back in his happy place -- "the perfect situation," he calls it.

By that, he means the right team, the right coaching staff and the right moment in his career to redefine his legacy and prove to the New York Jets' organization that he's not a one-hit wonder. That's a lot of stuff for his Harvard brain to process, but Fitzpatrick doesn't seem distracted as he approaches the season -- only confident. It's not brashness, but he definitely conveys his purpose."I want to be in the playoffs," Fitzpatrick said Monday in a sit-down with ESPN.com. "We'll see what happens, but I think we've got the right guys to do it. ... Our expectations are higher this year. I think we're a more confident football team."

Asked if the Jets have a playoff-caliber roster, he replied without hesitation.Yeah, there's no doubt," he said.

Entering his 12th season, Fitzpatrick has started 105 games without a playoff appearance. The only quarterback since the 1970 merger with more starts in that category is Archie Manning (139). 'Ol Archie is a terrific guy, but this is one time you don't want to be mentioned in the same paragraph as him.

Fitzpatrick almost changed that last season, but ... well, you know what happened in Week 17. It got ugly in Buffalo and now, nine months later, he wants to make it right."I don't care about the [individual] stuff," he said. "My career right now is better than I could've expected in terms of how long I've played and what I've been able to do. ... I want so bad to get [to the playoffs], and part of it is because I've never been there. But a lot of it is the guys that have put so much faith in me. That's what keeps me going and why I want to get there so bad."

Fitzpatrick mentioned Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker and Nick Mangold, who acted like Washington, D.C., lobbyists during his protracted contract dispute with the Jets. His teammates used the media and social media to express their affinity for the quarterback and his importance to the team.Decker posted a video of Fitz hanging out with the boys at a New York Rangershockey game. An imaginative Marshall, longing for his quarterback, used a Jets teddy bear to simulate Fitzpatrick in a pretend football game, complete with a "Harvard 80" cadence. That, too, got posted.

It was brilliant public relations.

"To stick their neck out in the offseason," Fitzpatrick said, "that just means a ton to me now."

It all confirmed Fitzpatrick's stature in the locker room, but the organization still refused to make an acceptable, long-term commitment even though he set the franchise record with 31 touchdown passes. The Jets eventually coughed up a few million on the eve of training camp, as the two sides agreed to a one-year, $12 million deal. The message to Fitzpatrick was as clear as the sign on MetLife Stadium:

Show us it wasn't a fluke.

"They didn't want to fully commit to me with more than one year, and so they want me to prove myself again," Fitzpatrick said. "That's fine. I've got no problem doing that. I'm betting on myself."One of the narratives during the stalemate was that Fitzpatrick, 33, is too old. That's ridiculous, as many quarterbacks don't reach their prime until their 30s. The position requires brains, experience and maturity. He'll be the first to say he doesn't have the raw talent of the other quarterbacks on the Jets' roster, but his intangibles are off the charts.

"I'm a better player than I was last year," he said. "I feel like I keep progressing. I don't know what the stats are going to be, but I'm going to be a better player this year than I was last year. I know that."

The best way to prove it? Get the Jets to the postseason.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62911/qb-ryan-fitzpatrick-jets-are-better-than-last-year-and-so-am-i

-- Ryan Fitzpatrick signed a one-year, prove-it contract at the start of training camp. Clearly, the New York Jets aren't convinced he's the long-term answer at quarterback. Basically, it's a challenge, although owner Woody Johnson refused to use that word."I'm not trying to challenge anybody," Johnson said Wednesday at practice. "He knows what's at stake. He's a Harvard guy, so he knows how important this year is for him.

"Every year is important for us," he continued. "We're happy to have him back. He's fired up. He's going to be good at leading the team. He's a good leader of his guys. I think they respect him."

The future of the quarterback position is a huge question mark. Like Fitzpatrick, backup Geno Smith will be a free agent after the season. Johnson, who once referred to Smith as a franchise quarterback, gave a lukewarm (at best) assessment of the former starter."He's on the team, uh, right now," Johnson said. "I think he has matured in the last year. What I'm seeing is very good. I'm hopeful."

Johnson spoke to reporters for 10 minutes, as he often does at the start of the season. The understated owner didn't make any brash predictions (he never does) and he refused to say the season would be a disappointment if they fail to reach the playoffs for the sixth straight year.

If you want fire and rah-rah from your owner, sorry, you won't get it from Johnson."I'm optimistic that we're going to have a good team, a balanced team on all three phases," he said. "Todd [Bowles] and Mike [Maccagnan] have done a pretty good job so far. We'll see."

rest of above article  : 

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62928/ryan-fitzpatrick-knows-how-important-this-year-is-for-him-says-jets-owner

— Ryan Fitzpatrick gives the Jets their best chance to win. If the team is going to snap their six-year playoff drought this season, it will be with him under center.But for Fitzpatrick to be under center, he needs to, well, be under center. And that means dialing back his reckless play style: He needs to start sliding. 

"I'm going to have to pick and choose my battles this year," Fitzpatrick said by his locker Wednesday. "I'll try to be smarter with that." 

On the field, Fitzpatrick is a maniac, and his teammates love him for it. He treats every single play like it's his last. He'll do everything he can to buy extra time in the pocket, force the ball into the tiniest of windows and fight for every last yard.On fourth down needing a play, that killer instinct is perfect. On second down in the second quarter of the second game of the season? Not so much.Throughout Fitzpatrick's career, he has gotten himself hurt because of his unwillingness to give up on a play. In 2003 at Harvard, he broke his hand. In 2007 with the Bengals, he fractured rib cartilage. In 2010 with the Bills, he tore his MCL. In 2014 with the Texans, he fractured his leg. Last season with the Jets, he tore ligaments in his thumb. 

Were all of those injuries avoidable? Probably not. But some? Absolutely. 

"Hits are going to happen in a game, and you need to avoid the big ones as best you can," Fitzpatrick told NJ Advance Media after the media scrum by his locker cleared. "Football is a physical game. Part of it is being smart, part of it is luck. "Sliding is something I've always struggled with. I'm competitive. I ran a lot in college. I know this is a lot different talent level. Guys are bigger, stronger and faster. But I still have that mentality. I just need to do my best to be smart about it." Fitzpatrick didn't miss any games last season with his thumb injury, but admitted it was a "nuisance" throughout the season. The maddening thing is Fitzpatrick could have avoided it altogether.  He dove head-first against the Raiders in Week 7. In the first quarter. 

The Jets were lucky Fitzpatrick didn't miss any time. That luck will eventually run out. The team is built to win now, but that's with Fitzpatrick on the field.Simply put, they can't afford to have him taking unnecessary hits. They need him to win. By diving head-first, Fitzpatrick isn't just hurting himself, but the entire team. "The No. 1 thing he can be better at his learning how to slide feet-first," Jets coach Todd Bowles said Wednesday. "That's my take on it." It's not that Fitzpatrick can't slide. He's fully capable of doing it. He has to overcome the mental hurdle of knowing when to give himself up, and when to fight on. 

Now 33, Fitzpatrick says he believes he finally has it down. 

"I could stand in front of you and say, 'Yeah, I'm going to slide,'" Fitzpatrick said, "and then I get out there get competitive. I have to pick and choose, and I know I have to be smart."

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/jets_ryan_fitzpatrick_needs_to_start_sliding_and_h.html#incart_river_index

It was pretty obvious to anyone watching the Jets' preseason games that rookie quarterback Christian Hackenberg has a long way to go. 

His stats: 17-of-47 passing (36.2 percent) for 159 yards, one touchdown, two interceptions, and a 35.7 rating. 

These are dreadful numbers, yes. But Hackenberg's steep learning curve — which everyone saw in training camp and preseason games — was not a huge surprise, considering how he looked late in his career at Penn State.Which is to say, he looked very much like a project player who needed significant development in the NFL, and perhaps an overhaul of his mechanics. 

The Jets drafted Hackenberg in Round 2. Maybe they reached. Maybe it'll turn out to be a great pick. Nobody knows right now. But this is clear: Barring a complete disaster in the Jets' quarterback room, Hackenberg isn't going to play in a game until the 2017 preseason. 

On Thursday, Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey assessed Hackenberg's first camp and preseason in the NFL. "He had some great throws," Gailey said. "He had some awful throws. When you see the great throws, you know it's there. He's an intelligent guy. He's just got to learn the speed of the game. That's something you don't get unless you play. He's got to get some more reps, learn a little bit more, get more comfortable with what he's calling, what he's seeing. We hope he'll improve as time goes on." 

Gailey said Hackenberg has significantly benefited lately from taking scout team reps in practice against the Jets' starting defense. That is because No. 3 quarterback Bryce Petty is sidelined with a bruised shoulder. He should be back in a week or two. "That really helps a guy," Gailey said of Hackenberg getting scout team reps. "Because he can read defenses, he can read coverages, and he can see things. If he uses that as a positive, he'll get a lot out of it. If he goes through the motions, he won't." But with Geno Smith and Petty ahead of Hackenberg on the depth chart, can the rookie really expect to get a lot of scout team reps all season? 

"Right now, he's getting quite a bit of them," Gailey said. "As time goes on, I don't know. We'll have to see. I don't know how that's going to play out." Because the Jets have four quarterbacks on their active roster — and need to prepare starter Ryan Fitzpatrick and Smith to play in games — that doesn't leave a lot of extra practice reps for Petty (a second-year pro) and Hackenberg, to further their development. Gailey understands this issue. "You make the most of your limited reps, learn, learn, and learn," Gailey said. "That's all you can do. That's the best you can do." 

Gailey said during training camp that it was too early to determine if the Jets' coaches would have to overhaul Hackenberg's mechanics. Gailey reiterated that point Thursday about a potential overhaul for Hackenberg."To me, you have to go through a long period of time with somebody to evaluate all of that," Gailey said. "[One training camp] isn't a long enough period of time to evaluate all of that." 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/jets_chan_gailey_says_christian_hackenberg_did_goo.html#incart_river_index

Offensive coordinator Chain Gailey batted leadoff or led off, addressing his new arsenal, which includes a plethora of returning players as well as the addition of versatile running back  Matt Fortéicon-article-link.gif . In 2015 as his first year as the Jets' OC, Gailey's  unit  set the franchise total-yards record and WR  Brandon Marshallicon-article-link.gif  set the franchise mark for receptions and tied the mark for receiving touchdowns. 

“It’s hard to compare year to year,” Gailey said. “I expect us to be very successful. Everybody only uses statistics to determine that, but sometimes they don’t tell the whole story. I know some things we need to improve on — turnovers, presnap penalties, and some things like that. If we improve on some of those things, I think we’ll be better.”

rest of above article & video..

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Coordinators-Corner-Gaileys-Expectations/a7acc984-a1b1-4ddd-973f-0dbb77f411fa

-- New York Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick is a smart cookie. He's a Harvard grad who can solve a Rubik's cube in less than two minutes.

But he can't seem to figure out Rex Ryan's defense.

Fitzpatrick's starting record against Ryan-coached defenses is 1-8, spanning Ryan's last three teams -- the Baltimore Ravens (0-1), the Jets (1-5) and now the Buffalo Bills (0-2), whom he faces on Thursday night.

The self-deprecating Fitzpatrick acknowledged his career numbers against Ryan aren't good, but he noted his overall stats "aren't competing with Hall of Famers." This is true, but he's better than a 1-8 quarterback.He's better than a 48-percent completion rate and 178 yards per game, his other numbers from his Rex encounters. Let's not forget the 14 touchdown passes and 11 interceptions, including five last season.

"He understands what he has done in the past and, going forward, you can't hold on," coach Todd Bowles said of his quarterback. "You can learn from that and, at some point, it has to change. We just have to play better. He has to take better care of the ball, guys have to get open, we have to block better -- it's not just him. We struggled on offense, period."

Bowles wasn't blaming Fitzpatrick for last season's losses to the Bills, but everybody knows he didn't play well in those games. His storybook season unraveled in the fourth quarter of the second meeting in Week 17, when he threw interceptions on three straight possessions. The first pick, an end-zone throw to Eric Decker, was the killer because they were in scoring range.

It haunted Fitzpatrick in the offseason because of the significance. They came within one or two plays of making the playoffs."It hurts and stings to watch some of that," he said, "but you try to learn from it and get better."Fitzpatrick doesn't subscribe to the notion that Ryan has his number, saying, "I don't know if it's necessarily his defense versus my quarterback play. It's just me going out there and making smart decisions and good throws."

To some degree, Fitzpatrick is right. It's also worth noting Ryan has presided over some very good defensive units. From 2009 to 2012, the Jets were second in the NFL in fewest yards allowed, according to ESPN Stats & Information. They roughed up a bunch of quarterbacks in that time period. At the time, Fitzpatrick played for the Bills, who weren't exactly loaded with Pro Bowl talent. But last season was baffling because Ryan's defense was uncharacteristically mediocre and yet still caused problems for Fitzpatrick.

The Bills did a good job of taking away he middle of the field, forcing him to make throws outside his comfort zone. They also frustrated the Jets in the red zone, alternating double teams on Decker and Brandon Marshall. Give Ryan credit; he did his homework on the Jets' tendencies."I think there's a lot of circumstances that go into it," Ryan said on a conference call, downplaying his dominance over Fitzpatrick. "He's a good football player, obviously. Last year, he broke almost every (team) record -- or was right up there with every record. He's an outstanding quarterback. It's just one of those things, I guess."

You could almost see Ryan winking through the speaker phone.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63121/jets-qb-ryan-fitzpatrick-dominates-rubik-but-struggles-with-rex

Archived