What we learned from preseason game #1

Jetster

Jet fans are crazy! Lol! Just reading last nights thread made me laugh. One of the best was that Bortles & the Jags receivers went through them like a hot knife through butter.

First. Have you EVER listened to Todd Bowles? He DOES NOT GAME PLAN in preseason. Revis, who is STILL considered top 3 at CB watched from the sidelines. Mo Wilkerson is pretty, pretty, pretty good too, and he watched from the sidelines.

Jags will be a top 5 offense this year. You better have your best & I would assume, a game plan?

I want to see guys flashing in preseason & that is it. Based on last nights action, this team went from the worst receivers ever assembled in 2014 to what could be the deepest most talented group in the league. Thompkins is on THIN ICE! He should be very nervous & justifiably so.

The 2016 Jets FINALLY have some depth. Next years draft should be all about the Oline & CB.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Jet fans are crazy! Lol! Just reading last nights thread made me laugh. One of the best was that Bortles & the Jags receivers went through them like a hot knife through butter.

First. Have you EVER listened to Todd Bowles? He DOES NOT GAME PLAN in preseason. Revis, who is STILL considered top 3 at CB watched from the sidelines. Mo Wilkerson is pretty, pretty, pretty good too, and he watched from the sidelines.

Jags will be a top 5 offense this year. You better have your best & I would assume, a game plan?

I want to see guys flashing in preseason & that is it. Based on last nights action, this team went from the worst receivers ever assembled in 2014 to what could be the deepest most talented group in the league. Thompkins is on THIN ICE! He should be very nervous & justifiably so.

The 2016 Jets FINALLY have some depth. Next years draft should be all about the Oline & CB.

I agree, I don't really care about the starters in preseason other than them not getting injured. All they're doing is getting rid of offseason rust by going through plain vanilla plays.

I think we should look at the positives: I'm praying that Dee Milliner can stay healthy. He made some good plays and can definitely be a very good CB if healthy.

Our young receivers simply looked awesome and hungry. We finally have a kick-off returner. Bryce Petty, while making a few poor decisions typical of most rookie QBs, has a strong arm and is a credible backup. 

all in all, remember the Rex Ryan days when watching backups during preseason games was boring because they sucked so badly? Wasn't the case here. Mac has really added depth. 

On the negative side in addition to those mentioned above, I was looking for something from Marcus Williams, and didn't see it.  Skrines also didn't look great out there.  Imo #2 cb is an issue.

On the positive side was obviously Enunwa.  He keeps that up and the Jets have their #3 wideout.  Which would be awesome.

5 minutes ago, Rexorcism said:

Agreed, Millner had a rough night, but he was in position to make those plays, so there is hope for him.

he was right there on the bomb and even was looking at the ball.  don't get how you swat and miss.  he didn't need to catch it, just tip it.  

As for the wide receiver position Devin Smith (they aren't going to give up on him) will make the team, probably Thompkins and either Marhsall or Peake. Maybe both if Marhsall wins the KR job. I'd say the key thing we saw yesterday was that at least in terms of Petty Geno is our best option as no. 2 Qb. I wouldn't trade him even if Dallas offers a 6 or a 7. The rumor for the Cowboys now is that they are going deeper into training camp before they sign or trade for a backup Qb. They want to see what they have in Zach Prescott but based on what I read will not give up a lower draft pick like a 4th rounder to get a backup. The biggest question unanswered is on Hack. If he isn't ahead of Petty at this point then it has to be Geno all the way. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

As for the wide receiver position Devin Smith (they aren't going to give up on him) will make the team, probably Thompkins and either Marhsall or Peake. Maybe both if Marhsall wins the KR job. I'd say the key thing we saw yesterday was that at least in terms of Petty Geno is our best option as no. 2 Qb. I wouldn't trade him even if Dallas offers a 6 or a 7. The rumor for the Cowboys now is that they are going deeper into training camp before they sign or trade for a backup Qb. They want to see what they have in Zach Prescott but based on what I read will not give up a lower draft pick like a 4th rounder to get a backup. The biggest question unanswered is on Hack. If he isn't ahead of Petty at this point then it has to be Geno all the way. 

The Jets are not going to cut Petty if he is playing like that.  If they keep 4 Qb's, I won't be surprised, but how they do that will be hard with all the talent at wideout they do not want to risk some other team taking before they get to the practice squad.

So maybe they don't keep 4 Qb's after all.

6 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

The Jets are not going to cut Petty if he is playing like that.  If they keep 4 Qb's, I won't be surprised, but how they do that will be hard with all the talent at wideout they do not want to risk some other team taking before they get to the practice squad.

So maybe they don't keep 4 Qb's after all.

I didn't think Petty played well. He had a few bright moments but he showed a lot of inexperience., And to me a Qb who if called on to play in an NFL real game would not be able to effectively run our offense. At this point I feel he should have better command. The rookie Qb for Jax (the kid from Arkansas) to me showed better ability at least last night to run an offense. Even though he threw that pick in the end zone which was a bad throw. The big question is what can Hack do now. If he's completely not ready then maybe the Jets should consider drafting Qbs who are more ready to play now in the NFL or at least sooner than later. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I didn't think Petty played well. He had a few bright moments but he showed a lot of inexperience., And to me a Qb who if called on to play in an NFL real game would not be able to effectively run our offense. At this point I feel he should have better command. The rookie Qb for Jax (the kid from Arkansas) to me showed better ability at least last night to run an offense. Even though he threw that pick in the end zone which was a bad throw. To me the big question what can Hack do now. If he's completely not ready then maybe the Jets should consider drafting Qbs who are more ready to play now in the NFL or sooner than later. 

The Jets had their 5th string defense in against the Jags when kid from Arkansas shined. 

41 minutes ago, Rexorcism said:

Devin Smith should also be nervous

He's definitely going to be pushed for playing time. But I think we have to be fair with him.

1. He missed most of TC and the preseason last year. That definitely set him back, especially since he was a rookie.

2. He's not a great fit for Fitz as his best weapon is stretching the field and Fitz struggles with the deep ball.

3. He tore his ACL midway through last season and is now missing time again this TC because of his recovery.

I'm willing to give him a chance. I'm not giving up on him yet. And the Jets aren't giving up on a second round pick in year 2, especially when you consider all the things he's had to deal with so far.

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He's definitely going to be pushed for playing time. But I think we have to be fair with him.

1. He missed most of TC and the preseason last year. That definitely set him back, especially since he was a rookie.

2. He's not a great fit for Fitz as his best weapon is stretching the field and Fitz struggles with the deep ball.

3. He tore his ACL midway through last season and is now missing time again this TC because of his recovery.

I'm willing to give him a chance. I'm not giving up on him yet. And the Jets aren't giving up on a second round pick in year 2, especially when you consider all the things he's had to deal with so far.

they're not going to give up on him.  but he may not see the field if guys like peake and jalin marshall are playing well.  they're as talented as smith, and marshall's return skills make him more likely to be active.  there are only so many spots for offensive weapons.  brandon, decker and enunwa are locks.  let's assume amaro is also there.  you have the rbs to throw to.  if they use peake and jalin, it may make sense to deal devin smith for another position.  he's not damaged goods, he'll come back from the injury and he's young.

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I didn't think Petty played well. He had a few bright moments but he showed a lot of inexperience., And to me a Qb who if called on to play in an NFL real game would not be able to effectively run our offense. At this point I feel he should have better command. The rookie Qb for Jax (the kid from Arkansas) to me showed better ability at least last night to run an offense. Even though he threw that pick in the end zone which was a bad throw. The big question is what can Hack do now. If he's completely not ready then maybe the Jets should consider drafting Qbs who are more ready to play now in the NFL or at least sooner than later. 

Your take on Petty's play seems to be in the minority.

Personally I am less worried about wasting a spot carrying 4 QBs than I am about wasting a spot on a FB. The league has moved past the traditional FB. Also, it isn't like our OL is a powerhouse in run blocking any more - we are no longer geared as ground and pound (Ivory is gone); it may be counter intuative, but if we are not power running team, the FB isn't going to help much. Use the H-back, use Sheldon if you need to. IMO.

47 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

On the negative side in addition to those mentioned above, I was looking for something from Marcus Williams, and didn't see it.  Skrines also didn't look great out there.  Imo #2 cb is an issue.

On the positive side was obviously Enunwa.  He keeps that up and the Jets have their #3 wideout.  Which would be awesome.

Anyone has Cro's phone number

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

they're not going to give up on him.  but he may not see the field if guys like peake and jalin marshall are playing well.  they're as talented as smith, and marshall's return skills make him more likely to be active.  there are only so many spots for offensive weapons.  brandon, decker and enunwa are locks.  let's assume amaro is also there.  you have the rbs to throw to.  if they use peake and jalin, it may make sense to deal devin smith for another position.  he's not damaged goods, he'll come back from the injury and he's young.

Agreed. The fact that Marshall and I think Peake as well, can play special teams makes it possible for the Jets to carry an extra receiver. And both could definitely push Smith for playing time.

1 minute ago, jetsjets said:

Anyone has Cro's phone number

The Jets will keep Skrines, but I would feel so much better if he was the nickel guy and not #2.  The Jets can't be feeling confident that Milliner will be that guy, so they must be thinking M Williams is the first cb off the bench, playing outside in nickel packages with Skrines going over to the nickel.

The question is can M Williams get it done in that role?

As I recall Fitz was sacked one time. But he didn't try last night to extend plays with his legs which is a big part of his game. Which is smart in an exhibition game. So he looked good even without that added dimension. I was more impressed with Geno than with Petty. Petty played with 4th stringers but against 4th stringers. But I'm open to see how he does the rest of training camp. 

Archived