" Revis Island ".. a return ? ? ?

kelly

-- Tony Richardson played with Darrelle Revis at the height of the cornerback's dominance -- 2008 to 2010, when "Revis Island" first appeared on the NFL map. In Richardson's mind, it'll be Revis Island 2.0 in 2016.

Richardson, a former New York Jets team captain, believes Revis -- fueled by skeptics -- is approaching the season with a massive chip on his shoulder.

"There's been some chiming and chatting about how he's too old, about how he's lost a step," Richardson said Sunday. "I think he hears it. I know what kind of competitor he is, and I think he's going to have a really good year. I think the rest of the guys on the defense will feed off the kind of year he's going to have."

Richardson was one of 40-plus former Jets who attended the team's annual alumni weekend. On Sunday, many of them watched practice from the sideline, mingling with the current players. Richardson, one of the most respected players on the 2009 and 2010 teams that reached the AFC Championship Game, sought out Revis and they talked. He immediately detected a laser focus.

"I took a picture with him at practice, and I could tell by the look in his eyes," Richardson said. "He was in a different place, a different mode."

Revis made his seventh Pro Bowl last season, but he got burned by Houston Texans star DeAndre Hopkins, prompting some criticism. He didn't play particularly well against the Buffalo Bills' Sammy Watkins in the season finale, though he wasn't helped by a curiously passive game plan."People say he can't cover big receivers and he can't cover speed receivers, but I don't think there's a receiver he can't cover," Richardson said. "People forget that he was injured. I'm sure that was a factor, too."

Revis played with a torn tendon in his right wrist, which wasn't revealed until after the season. No doubt, it hampered his ability to jam receivers at the line, his signature move. Judging from training camp, the surgically repaired wrist is fine. He doesn't seem to be shying away from contact.Of course, he's 31 years old, recently admitting he may consider a move to safety at some point in the future to prolong his career. For now, though, he's focused on cornerback. He's determined to make a statement, according to Richardson.

"I don't think you could call it a breakout year," Richardson said, "but I think you're going to see the old Darrelle."

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62145/jets-star-darrelle-revis-wants-to-shut-up-skeptics-according-to-ex-teammate

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a simple fix and something that should have been done in the Bills game after what we witness against the Texans.  You put Revis who's still a very solid corner on the #2  receiver and double the #1 receiver over the top . 

5 hours ago, chrisfaceoff said:

I hope. but like I wrote in the weekend camp recap thread.  Marshall was owning him badly.

To be fair there aren't many guys like Brandon Marshall in this league...if any. Closest guys I can think of in terms of build, physicality, and talent is Dez Bryant or Julio Jones (who is a far bigger vertical threat because of his speed).  The scary part is many people think Brandon can be even better this year with his weight down.

~ ~  Welcome back, Revis Island : In his preseason debut, Darrelle Revismade one of the biggest plays of the night, an end zone interception on a horrible throw by McCoy. Revis wasn't targeted, but he made a heads-up play with the ball in the air. It was one of a few nice red zone plays by the defense.

rest of above article : 

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62269/bryce-petty-sparks-jets-geno-smith-flops-no-2-qb-controversy-is-here

– The older he gets, the more inclined he is to notice the look, that sideways glance that morphs into a wide-eyed recognition, as if the person looking at him is thinking, “Is that him?”

It’s not that Darrelle Revis isn’t accustomed to being recognized — 10 years in the NFL, seven Pro Bowl selections and one Super Bowl championship have made him one of the league’s most recognizable faces. A recent visit to Yankee Stadium for Alex Rodriguez’s final game saw his face cheered on the stadium scoreboard.

But when heads are swiveling inside his own locker room, well, that takes a little getting used to.

“That’s kind of interesting,” Revis said Sunday, another Jets training camp practice in the books, another post-practice rehab and stretching routine on his 31-year-old body completed as well. “That look when you’re in the locker room, that double-take like, ‘is that him?’ I’ll be like ‘Hey, what’s up,’ and they see, ‘Hey, he’s actually cool, he’s actually human.’”

Revis’ skills on the football field have suggested otherwise – shutdown abilities so transcendent the cornerback was given the deed to Revis Island, a football outpost to which no receiver, no matter how good, could seemingly gain entry. He was the undisputed king of his position, from first-round draft pick in 2007 to three time first-team All Pro by 2011, twice helping the Jets to the cusp of a Super Bowl appearance. But if time and the business of football have put that lofty status into question — Revis was traded to Tampa Bay in 2013, won a Super Bowl with the Patriots in 2014 and returned to the Jets as a free agent last season – Revis has finally come to accept what was probably always true.
Recognition doesn’t matter.

The chip that seemed perpetually perched on his shoulder might not be completely gone, but it is no doubt smaller, a concession to maturity and experience. Make no mistake, Revis still expects to be among the game’s best at his position. But by his standard, not that of others.“It depends on what we really discuss in terms of if I’m elite or if I’m not elite. If people say am I still elite, then they’re still giving me credit that I was an elite player at one point,” Revis said in a quiet moment after practice Sunday, an empty fieldhouse just another reminder how so many of his younger teammates are showered, dressed and gone before Revis has had time to cool down.

“I felt last year I had a great year, even if it was not one of my best. I can’t say it was the top, the No. 1,” he said. “The [2009 season] was probably the No. 1. I think people want to see the ’09 season every year, year in and year out, and I do respect that, how people want to see that play-by-play, week-by-week thing. It’s a fun thing, the whole Revis Island thing, taking people off their fantasy football teams [because they were going to face me]. It’s all fun.

“What keeps the fire burning is I can still play. I can still play at a high level and I think it’s because I’m very strong willed. Coach [Todd] Bowles believes that I can still play at a high level, still compete against some of these great receivers in the league today.”Recognition doesn’t matter; playing the game does. And that, Revis believes, he can do even better this year than last, his surgically repaired right wrist recently declared at full strength, his mature, experienced football brain ready to take on all challengers.“Let’s clear the smoke. You do get older,” he said. “I am 31. Have I slowed down? Yes. I don’t run a 4.3 anymore. And then including a major knee injury, yes, I slowed down a little bit. But I’m very technique sound. I lean on that and lean on the longevity I have.”

Experience is indeed a wonderful teacher, and not just in breaking down game film or learning a playbook. For Revis, there are lessons in slowing down just a bit, in remembering that rookie kid who ran around “like a chicken with its head cut off” and taking time to savor this role as an elder statesman. With a ready smile, he will sit at his locker for hours, taking questions from teammates young and old.“As I’ve gotten older, I’d say probably the last couple of years, I’ve reflected a lot, because my journey of my career has been an adventure,” he said. “I always say to people, too, you got to look outside in, we’re looking inside out sometimes.”

Revis’ football heart tells him he has more than a few years left to play – as he likes to put it, “until the wheels fall off” and as long as he can still “play at a high level.” That doesn’t necessarily mean keeping Revis Island open forever – more than ever, Revis understands he could make a move to safety or nickel corner to better help his team. And more importantly, he is okay with it. But it’s not going to happen yet. Friday night in Washington, when the Jets played their second preseason game and Revis made an appearance in his first, he ended Colt McCoy’s surprisingly effective first drive by picking him off in the end zone.

“That felt good because I didn’t practice all of OTAs with the wrist situation, this is only probably my seventh practice and the cornerback position is all about rhythm, repetition,” he said. “So the more I’m out there, the more comfortable I feel. I do have the experience, but I love to practice.”

>          http://www.northjersey.com/sports/sullivan-jets-darrelle-revis-is-a-bit-slower-but-wiser-1.1648523

Training camp is over, one final preseason tuneup against the Giants remains, and Darrelle Revis has proclaimed himself ready to rock on into his 10th NFL season and his eighth as cornerback and cornerstone of the Jets' defense."All the way leading up to this game, it's been fine," Revis told me about his wrist rehab and his camp in general after today's practice at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. "I didn't practice the whole training camp, but I got enough to where I think I'm fine, the coaches feel confident in where I'm at, and we're ready to rock and roll, basically."

Revis has given periodic updates to reporters about his wrist this month, but he wrapped up the whole process by saying today that the timeframe of surgery / rehab / Arizona conditioning / camp "worked really well for me."

"Yeah, I was a little rusty. I had to dust the cobwebs off a little bit," he said about the return of his trademark coverage techniques the past few weeks. "I did get fatigued a few times in my forearm and my wrist in trying to go out there and jam a little bit. But I knew over time that's what I needed, to get some contact in."Playing the corner position, it's all about rhythm and confidence. I just knew over time, when I continued to get the repetitions and also just was able to play bump-and-run, I would be fine, I would gradually get stronger and stronger out there."

Reaching this part of the timeline is great timing, because Revis acknowledged he and his fellow DBs will get an excellent test from the Giants wide receivers, led by Odell Beckham Jr. and augmented by the anticipated return of Victor Cruz from his groin injury."You know what? The wide receiver position for the Giants is probably the best group of guys on their team skill-wise — they make plays," Revis said before giving a short scouting report on the two big names:

"Victor was the No. 1 guy a few years ago, and now he hasn't played ball in a while, so it's good to see him come back out there and actually be able to overcome all that he's overcome."And then you have 'the superstar,' " Revis said with a smile. "Odell, he's electric, he's fast, he has speed, quickness, elusiveness. He can take a slant 80 yards in the blink of an eye. So they definitely have some talent on the offensive side of the ball."

Revis also offered his appreciation on the rivalry aspect of the Jets-Giants game that a lot of players don't get into, saying, "We want the braggin' rights."

"We try to have fun with it, with the whole rivalry of the two organizations," he said. "But we do have respect, and I think it's respect on both ends. We just try to play a good game."After a good game will come a game of rest in Philly. Then the rock music cranks up regular-season loud for the Bengals on Sept. 11. And No. 24 says he'll be ready.

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Revis-Ready-to-Rock-vs-Giants--Beyond/744f32d0-9d5c-41ac-a9f6-7060b38a3273

Revis is one of the few guys out there where motivation really can make him play even better.  So I'll believe it.  He deserves the benefit of the doubt for last season's relative "struggles" (if of course you call getting burned by an elite receiver or 2 as "struggles" for a corner). 

1 minute ago, daquix said:

Good corners aren't supposed to ever get burned.

Beaten? Sure.

Burned? No.

Ever?  If that's where the bar is set, then there are no good corners in the NFL.  This is a passing league where the rules are slanted heavily in favor of WR's, and ALL corners get burned from time to time. 

1 minute ago, daquix said:

I mean't to say elite.

Already edited my post.

But there's a big difference between being beat and being burned.

Revis was burned last year multiple times. Not beat.

I doubt you could find one corner, elite or not, who didn't get burnt at least once last season.  That's a ridiculously high standard.  Revis had the lowest completion % against him of any corner in the league last year.  He's elite.

Revis is 31 yrs old. "Age and treachery will overcome youth and skill Everytime" as the saying goes. Revis has the experience to perhaps overcome the fact that he may be slowing down a bit. This year he wants to prove to everyone including himself that he is still one of the best in the business at his position. He is one of the most fierce competitors in the game. I for one believe he will accomplish it.

Darrelle Revis deserves a place in the game’s most hallowed hall one day. He has been a transcendent force that made loud-mouth receivers disappear on fall Sundays by taking them to a fictional place that seemed all too real for those blabbering fools.

Time has slowed him down. He no longer has his own island, but that’s okay. He is open to change to survive in the cruelest of professions that caters to nobody, not even the greatest cornerback of this generation.

He is different, but still valuable.

Is he overpaid? Yes. No 31-year-old cornerback should be making $17 million.

If the Jets could turn back the clock, however, they would still give Revis the blockbuster contract that brought him back last year, because he should have never left.Revis’ five-year, $70 million deal (with $39 million in real guarantees) is excessive in hindsight, but he is a stabilizing presence for a team in a “competitive rebuild” that is mindful of today with a focus on tomorrow.You can see Revis’ value in quiet moments on the practice field when he offers wisdom to younger defensive backs, who listen in awe to the five-time first-team All-Pro. He is a living encyclopedia at their fingertips. He wants to help.

“He’s seen everything that there is to see,” rookie cornerback Juston Burris told the Daily News in the run-up to the third preseason game against the Giants on Saturday. “I’m trying to be a physical corner like he is and trying to play technique sound like he does. I need to mirror how he goes about things. So just seeing it from his perspective and seeing how he does things is going to be a boost to my game.”

“He’ll pull me to the side and we’ll just talk football,” Burris continued. “I’ll ask him questions like, ‘How should I have played this? Should I have played off in this situation?’ It’s just simple things like that that I haven’t been through in the NFL yet, little things that he’s been through and that he knows that he can help me out with.”

Revis’ teaching moments come in subtle ways. He’ll never raise his voice. He’ll never disparage a young player after a mistake. He is an encouraging presence, who has embraced the role of mentor in the twilight of a career that will find a final resting place in Canton.“He’s not going to stand up in meetings and make some huge announcement like, ‘Hey guys, listen to me,’” assistant defensive backs coach Daylon McCutcheon told The News. “That’s just not his personality.… It’s subtle, but it carries a lot of weight because of who he is. It doesn’t jump out because he doesn’t announce it. But it happens. I see it happen. And I know it helps us out.”

“When he does something or says something, it’s all eyes on him,” McCutcheon added. “When we’re watching 1-on-1s (from practice), when his rep is up, everyone is watching. Guys are locked in. They want to see and try to pick up the little things that he does. There’s things that he does naturally that other guys have to work on… and struggle to do. And he does it on a consistent basis.”

Consistency has been the soundtrack of his 10-year career. Come to work. Do your job. Help whenever he can. Rinse. Repeat. “We just want to follow in his footsteps,” safety Calvin Pryor said. “He still has it in him. We know that.”Revis is always learning himself, playing a thinking man’s game with leverage and angles. He’s probably the most competitive player in franchise history.“He’s the brain of our group,” Buster Skrine said. “We can always just look over and ask, ‘Hey what would you have done on this play?’ He’s like another coach in our room.”

He practices what he preaches. If he’s in for four plays, he’ll work his ass off on those four plays to set the right example.

“You could sit there and say, ‘Well, you should do this or you should do that,’” McCutcheon said. “If you’re not out there busting your own butt in practice that same way, it doesn’t carry that same weight. He practices hard, so he carries that respect.”Revis is prideful like all the greats are. He bristles at the suggestion that he’s slow. The day he believes that is the day that he’ll know that it’s time to walk away from the game. He’s slower, which is a big difference.He’ll tell you that he can still make an important contribution at cornerback at a time when critics point out his diminishing skills. He’s amenable to moving to safety one day, but that day is not today.

So, he plays with a controlled fire to prove that he still belongs in the conversation as one of the league’s best at his position. He won’t ever quit because quitting sends the wrong message to every young player, who admires what he’s built over the past decade.“There’s some chip,” McCutcheon said. “Maybe it’s his passion to be great. He goes out there and he has high expectations for himself. He’s set a bar for himself. When he goes out there, he’s wants to go find No. 15 (Brandon Marshall). Every corner doesn’t go out there and look for the best receiver. Especially in practice. We don’t make him follow No. 15. But when he gets out there, he wants to line up and he wants to work against the best guy we have on our team. That’s pushes him.”

Darrelle Revis still matters.

>     http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/darrelle-revis-impacts-jets-valuable-mentorship-role-article-1.2766737

I think he is going to have one of his best seasons ever. I believe he has taken his doubters and bashers personal and his competitive fire will bring out his best.

i don't know who's playing or not playing tomorrow, but we might see Revis vs. OBJ, right? That'll be a tough matchup for him. 

Psyched for tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
cimini_rich_m.jpg

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Is Revis Island closed ?

Jets defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said CB Darrelle Revis won't be matched against Bengals WR AJ Green on every play. "It won't be just him," he said. In the past, Revis almost always covered the No. 1 receiver.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

-- Darrelle Revis was asked about the New York Jets' ceiling, as in : How high ?

The star cornerback looked up at the locker-room ceiling, which goes about 20 feet.

"Higher than this one," Revis said Thursday. "Our expectations are very high this year.

"We're excited, man, we really are. We're excited that Fitz [Ryan Fitzpatrick] is back. We've got all the pieces, we do. We feel like we are a playoff team. We didn't make it last year, but we had a chance. We got most of the guys back and we feel very confident."

Revis is right, the Jets have 13 returning starters, plus another four who played backup roles last season. It means they're well-versed it the offensive and defensive systems, which should mean few mental errors. But the schedule is a killer, starting Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals, one of five 2015 playoff teams the Jets will face in the first six weeks.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62976/jets-darrelle-revis-oozes-optimism-we-feel-like-we-are-a-playoff-team

-- Are the New York Jets closing Revis Island?

In a tactical departure from previous years, cornerback Darrelle Revis won't be used exclusively on Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green on Sunday, according to the Jets."It won't be just Revis, it will be a lot of people," defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said on Thursday. "A.J. is a tremendous player. We've got to have 11 sets of eyes, knowing where he is. ... It's not necessarily a one-on-one matchup."

For nearly his entire career, Revis has covered the opposing team's No. 1 receiver on a down-to-down basis, often with no safety help. His ability to thrive in such situations spawned the "Revis Island" moniker.He has made the Pro Bowl in seven of his nine seasons, establishing himself as one of the premier lockdown corners of this generation.But now he's 31 years old, coming off offseason wrist surgery. Revis said he's healthy after missing some practice time early in training camp, but he understands the rationale behind the new approach.

"To start the season off, we have to be cautious a little bit because we have some tough games coming ahead," Revis said. "I think the game plan this week is very comfortable for everybody."We're going to try to switch things up a little bit this week for us to maybe wear [down] some of their guys on offense, just wear 'em down a little bit," Revis added. "That's just mixing guys in and out or lining up guys in the scheme we're trying to do."

Green poses "every challenge possible," according to Revis.

The 6-foot-4 burner caught 86 passes for 1,297 yards and 10 touchdowns last season. Ordinarily, this would be the ideal Revis matchup -- best-on-best -- but the Jets have downplayed the Revis-Green angle."That's just one of many matchups," coach Todd Bowles said. "It's a team effort, and we've got to pick our spots, and I'm sure they have to pick their spots. It's not even about Revis and Green, it's about us against them."

Revis said this will make the defense less predictable because "it might be difficult for the offense to ID guys or see where guys are. It will be a lot of confusion, and it will be to our benefit. That's one of the things, coming into this week, we're trying to accomplish."It wasn't a vintage Revis season in 2015, as he struggled against DeAndre Hopkins and Sammy Watkins, but he played most of the season with a torn tendon in his wrist. It affected his ability to play bump-and-run -- his forte.

"It's definitely good to feel good and be able to strike at the line of scrimmage and jam guys," he said. "For me, it took time and patience, and I'm finally at the point where I can actually do that."

>      http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17497126/new-york-jets-exclusively-use-cornerback-darrelle-revis-cincinnati-bengals-wide-receiver-aj-green

Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis is one of the best defensive players of his generation. There is no question about that.In nine seasons, Revis has made seven Pro Bowls and has been a first-team All-Pro four times. He is a future Hall of Famer, as he prepares for his 10th season, which begins Sunday against the Bengals. 

But at 31 years old, how much does he have left ? 

He was very effective at times last season, but also noticeably struggled in two losses, against Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins and Bills receiver Sammy Watkins — two of the NFL's top young pass catchers. 

Is Revis significantly declining? Is he still one of the NFL's elite corners? 

NJ Advance Media posed those questions to two NFL on CBS analysts — ex-Steelers coach Bill Cowher and ex-Jets linebacker Bart Scott

"I still think he's a productive guy," Cowher said. "He's on the downside of his career, no question about that. I don't know if he's one of the top corners in the National Football League right now, maybe not the top three. But you know what? I wouldn't mind having him on my team if I was a coach."  

And why is that ? 

"Guys like Darrelle Revis, they may decline because of the speed, but guys like that know how to compensate," Cowher said. "A guy like that is so smart and he studies the game and prepares. And to me, the influence he has on the young corners is invaluable."I would argue all those things, because I think what the guy brings to your team is he knows how to win. He's a champion. He plays at a high level. He understands pressure. He's a student of the game. Guys like that can compensate, and that's why he's stayed at a very high level for a very long time." 

Cowher said it is "arguable" whether Revis still ranks among the NFL's best corners. 

"Because I think it's hard to judge that, because people play so many different systems," he said. "We're going to find out about Josh Norman. You become a really good corner when you have a good pass rush [like the Panthers had when Norman played for them]." 

And what does Scott think about Revis, at this point in his career? 

"Has he slowed down?" Scott said. "Everybody slows down. Is he still top one, top two, top three? Arguably so."But I don't think the team did a great job protecting him, not having experienced safeties to understand how you just disguise [coverage]. Even if you have Cover 1, Cover Zero, he's going to be on an island. You don't send a text message to the quarterback [before the play] that he's by himself so early." 

For instance, Scott said, a safety could have coverage duties against a tight end or running back in a Cover Zero alignment, "but you don't have to show that" before the snap. Scott thinks the Jets' safeties must do a better job of disguising this. 

Here's how Scott further explained it: 

"That shows you the inexperience in the [Jets'] safety position. [Marcus] Gilchrist isn't a rookie by any means. But he hasn't played at that elite Ed Reed, Eric Berry [level], where he can not only do his job, but he can protect other people, to help them do their job.

"That comes with experience, that comes with confidence, that comes with knowing defense/offense so well that you can match wits with a Peyton Manning. To be able to outsmart those guys, you've got to be supremely confident, and I don't think their safety position really has that confidence yet, as far as being elite.

"[Calvin] Pryor can be, I think, an Earl Thomas type of player, a playmaker. But he's not there yet, where he's playing the game mentally. He's relying more on his physical ability. He's making sure that he does his job. I think that hurts Revis.

"Last year, they didn't have a great pass rush. For one instance, on Sammy Watkins, he runs an in-cut, a post [route], he can retain his angle however he wants to, because everybody, from the linebacker on up, is at the line of scrimmage.

"So even if his route doesn't require him to go flat, Revis has to protect the entire field behind him, when all it took was a safety to stand there, and the quarterback wouldn't lean so heavily on that, and he would be looking to go somewhere else with the ball.

"But that comes with experience. That comes with understanding the defense. Everybody on that team was in that defense for the first time. They didn't learn the idiosyncrasies of how to really perfect and how to play the mental aspect of the game. They just relied on doing their job physically." 

Does that sound reasonable to you  ? Chime in down there in the comments. 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/is_jets_darrelle_revis_significantly_declining_her.html#incart_river_index

Calm down, Jets' problems are fixable, starting with repairs on Revis Island

-- The New York Jets are 0-1 for the first time since 2010. Oh no! It's a crisis. Darrelle Revis is washed up! Nick Folk has the yips! Brandon Marshall can't get open anymore! What happened to FitzMagic?

Relax, it's only one game.

The Cincinnati Bengals are a quality team (except when the calendar says January), and the Jets came within a couple of botched kicks and a blown coverage of beating Cincy.

The biggest question out of the 23-22 loss is how do the Jets respond? To me, that falls on coach Todd Bowles. The Jets have a quick turnaround -- three days to prepare for the Buffalo Bills on Thursday night -- and it'll be up to Bowles and his staff to make key adjustments on the fly. If not, 'ol Rex Ryan will be yucking it up again, just like last Jan. 3."We lost the game, we have to regroup," Bowles said after his team blew three leads Sunday. "We don't want to go 0-2. We have to get back to work [Monday]."

The first order of business should be Revis, who played a poor game.

It's easy to batter a man when he's down, and Revis is absorbing plenty of body blows from the over-reactionary crowd on this Monday morning. Revis Island isn't permanently closed. The man is a future Hall of Famer, so he's entitled to some slack. It's not as if he was torched by a second-rate slappy; A.J. Green is an elite wide receiver.That said, Bowles would be wise to undertake a construction project on the Island. He simply can't use Revis in single coverage against Sammy Watkins, as he did most of the day against Green. The Jets must alter their approach, giving Revis safety help or -- better yet -- using him on the No. 2 receiver and doubling Watkins with a corner/safety combo.

In case anyone forgot, Watkins lit up the Jets for 11 catches and 136 yards in the Week 17 debacle last season, a good chunk of that coming against Revis. So the mind-boggling tally for Watkins and Green looks like this: 23 catches for 316 yards, one touchdown."He made some plays, he gave up some plays," Bowles said in his overly kind assessment of Revis. "We busted some plays in coverage."

The Jets' plan was to rotate their coverage on Green, removing Revis from his usual best-on-best responsibility. Revis said he was cool with the plan, but in the heat of the moment, it was Revis versus Green for much of the game. Give the Bengals some credit; they added some wrinkles to their offense, making it difficult for the Jets to execute their game plan."We mixed it up as much as we could," Revis said. "We definitely knew they were going to move him around. He was in the slot. They spread us out. They disguised a lot of formations and did a lot of shifting and motions. ... They capitalized on most plays."

rest of above article : 

>  http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63055/jets-problems-are-fixable-and-it-starts-with-repairs-on-revis-island

— Bengals receiver A.J. Green turned Revis Island into his own resort and spa Sunday afternoon. 

In the Jets' 23-22 loss, Green caught 12 passes for 180 yards and a touchdown. Ten of those receptions, 150 of those yards and the score, according to ESPN, came when covered by cornerback Darrelle Revis. 

Green torched Revis in near criminal fashion. Embarrassed him in front of 80,000 strong at MetLife Stadium."It probably wasn't one of my better games," Revis said after the game. "I can take a punch on the chin."

The concept of Green tormenting a defender isn't exactly surprising. A first-round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, Green has developed into one of the game's best. Entering Sunday's game, he had caught 415 passes for 6,171 yards and 45 touchdowns in 76 career games. Just last season, Green had 86 grabs for 1,297 yards and 10 scores.The Jets were well aware of Green's successes. Which what makes his outing Sunday so puzzling. Earlier this week, defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said the game plan was to give Revis help in hopes of neutralizing his on-field production.  

"It won't just be Revis," Rodgers said on Thursday. "It will be a lot of people. A.J. is a tremendous player. One we have to have 11 sets of eyes knowing where he is."But Revis didn't get help. The Jets shaded a safety Green's way on some plays, but for the most part, it was one-on-one coverage. And the Bengals took advantage.The team hit Green on curls, slants and multiple screens.The Bengals also took two shots deep down the field, and completed both. The highlight? A 54-yard touchdown. Jets safety Marcus Gilchrist came up to cover an underneath route, which exposed Revis in man-to-man coverage. 

"It was just busted coverage," Revis said. "We communicate a lot back there. We have a lot of things in our coverage that are on the go. We make calls actually as the play is going on. It was just a busted coverage on our end."Revis' performance against Green didn't silence the offseason concerns of the cornerback's downfall. On Sunday, Revis resembled nothing of the player who used to erase receivers from the stat sheet.And things might get even worse next week. The Jets play the Bills and receiver Sammy Watkins on Thursday night. In Week 17 last year— a playoff-eliminating defeat for the Jets— Watkins caught 11 passes for 136 yards. Six of those catches and 96 of those yards came when covered by Revis. 

If Revis can't find a way to slow Watkins this time around, it won't be easy for the Jets to pull out a victory. And an 0-2 start? Well, that could end any hopes the Jets have of snapping their five-year playoff drought.

At least right now, though, Revis said there isn't any cause for concern. Personally, and collectively, with the secondary. 

"Definitely not," Revis said. "We do have a lot of experience. This is our second year of being together. We've just got to tighten some things up. I definitely have confidence in the secondary we've got."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/jets_darrelle_revis_on_struggles_vs_aj_green_i_can.html#incart_river_index

-- The words sounded incongruous coming fromDarrelle Revis: "He had a great game. I can take a punch on the chin."

The New York Jets' star cornerback was referring to A.J. Green, who led the Cincinnati Bengals to a season-opening win with 12 catches for 180 yards and a touchdown. Unofficially, eight catches on eight targets for 131 yards came against Revis, whose chin has gone relatively unscathed throughout his illustrious career.

First of all, know this : Revis lined up over Green on 52 of 54 snaps, including several plays in the slot. So much for changing up the coverage scheme. No doubt, Revis didn't have a good game, but it wasn't as bad as you might think.

Here's a closer look at Green's 12 receptions, with Revis' role in each:

1. Gain: 8 yards. Revis played "off" coverage because it was second-and-9. This was the Jets' early-down game plan. They didn't want to get beat deep by Green.

2. Gain: 15 yards. A busted coverage by the Jets. They had only two defenders for a trips formation, and the Bengals hit them with a bubble screen.

3. Gain: Minus-1. Green went in motion, away from Revis, who passed him off to Marcus Gilchrist.

4. Gain: 54-yard touchdown: This, too, was a busted coverage, according to coach Todd Bowles. Revis expected deep help from Gilchrist, who was flat-footed at the 30-yard line after biting on a play-action. Revis couldn't keep up with Green, who beat him on a deep post.

5. Gain: 4 yards. Revis played "off" on first-and-10.

6. Gain: 7 yards. Revis played the sticks on second-and-6, and it proved to be a little too much cushion.

7. Gain: 39 yards. The Bengals ran another bubble screen, and the Jets seemed utterly confused. Revis was in the area, but he wasn't directly on Green.

8. Gain: 6 yards. It was second-and-8, so Revis played "off" coverage.

9. Gain: 32 yards. This was man-to-man coverage down the sideline. Revis went stride-for-stride with Green, who made a diving catch. The coverage was solid; it was a great pitch and catch.

10. Gain: 6 yards. Yet another bubble screen. Revis was picked by a Cincinnati blocker.

11. Gain: 9 yards. Revis played "off" on first-and-10.

12. Gain: 11 yards. This was the killer. On third-and-13, trying to keep the Bengals out of field-goal range, Revis played press coverage. Green ran a quick slant, but cut it off and darted to the outside, creating separation. Revis missed the tackle, allowing additional yardage. Instead of a field goal of 50-plus yards, Mike Nugent had a 47-yarder -- and drilled it. Revis looked slow on this play, lacking the short-area quickness to stay with Green.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63073/an-inside-look-at-a-j-greens-vacation-on-revis-island-much-to-jets-chagrin

17 minutes ago, kelly said:

-- The words sounded incongruous coming fromDarrelle Revis: "He had a great game. I can take a punch on the chin."

The New York Jets' star cornerback was referring to A.J. Green, who led the Cincinnati Bengals to a season-opening win with 12 catches for 180 yards and a touchdown. Unofficially, eight catches on eight targets for 131 yards came against Revis, whose chin has gone relatively unscathed throughout his illustrious career.

First of all, know this : Revis lined up over Green on 52 of 54 snaps, including several plays in the slot. So much for changing up the coverage scheme. No doubt, Revis didn't have a good game, but it wasn't as bad as you might think.

Here's a closer look at Green's 12 receptions, with Revis' role in each:

1. Gain: 8 yards. Revis played "off" coverage because it was second-and-9. This was the Jets' early-down game plan. They didn't want to get beat deep by Green.

2. Gain: 15 yards. A busted coverage by the Jets. They had only two defenders for a trips formation, and the Bengals hit them with a bubble screen.

3. Gain: Minus-1. Green went in motion, away from Revis, who passed him off to Marcus Gilchrist.

4. Gain: 54-yard touchdown: This, too, was a busted coverage, according to coach Todd Bowles. Revis expected deep help from Gilchrist, who was flat-footed at the 30-yard line after biting on a play-action. Revis couldn't keep up with Green, who beat him on a deep post.

5. Gain: 4 yards. Revis played "off" on first-and-10.

6. Gain: 7 yards. Revis played the sticks on second-and-6, and it proved to be a little too much cushion.

7. Gain: 39 yards. The Bengals ran another bubble screen, and the Jets seemed utterly confused. Revis was in the area, but he wasn't directly on Green.

8. Gain: 6 yards. It was second-and-8, so Revis played "off" coverage.

9. Gain: 32 yards. This was man-to-man coverage down the sideline. Revis went stride-for-stride with Green, who made a diving catch. The coverage was solid; it was a great pitch and catch.

10. Gain: 6 yards. Yet another bubble screen. Revis was picked by a Cincinnati blocker.

11. Gain: 9 yards. Revis played "off" on first-and-10.

12. Gain: 11 yards. This was the killer. On third-and-13, trying to keep the Bengals out of field-goal range, Revis played press coverage. Green ran a quick slant, but cut it off and darted to the outside, creating separation. Revis missed the tackle, allowing additional yardage. Instead of a field goal of 50-plus yards, Mike Nugent had a 47-yarder -- and drilled it. Revis looked slow on this play, lacking the short-area quickness to stay with Green.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63073/an-inside-look-at-a-j-greens-vacation-on-revis-island-much-to-jets-chagrin

He's going to continue to play "off"

Every OC we face is going to plan accordingly and considering the rest of our D backfield is under average - we are going to need to score a lot of points.

On 9/8/2016 at 2:21 PM, kelly said:
cimini_rich_m.jpg

Is Revis Island closed ?

Jets defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said CB Darrelle Revis won't be matched against Bengals WR AJ Green on every play. "It won't be just him," he said. In the past, Revis almost always covered the No. 1 receiver.

Andy Dalton targeted A.J. Green 10 times in Darrelle Revis’ coverage. He completed all 10 passes for 152 yards and a touchdown.

On August 15, 2016 at 0:22 PM, Tinstar said:

This is a simple fix and something that should have been done in the Bills game after what we witness against the Texans.  You put Revis who's still a very solid corner on the #2  receiver and double the #1 receiver over the top . 

Duh brilliant. Siomeone gets it. 

If Bengals receiver A.J. Green ever wanted to engage in trash talk, he’d never have a better opportunity than now, after he torched Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis on Sunday.

Instead, after the game Green showed nothing but respect for Revis, saying he was honored to match up with an all-time great.“That guy has nothing else to prove,” Green said of Revis. “He’s a first-ballot Hall of Famer for sure. I’m trying to get where he is.”

Revis was once the best cornerback in football, but at age 31 he’s no longer able to shut down a great receiver like Green. That was very clear on Sunday, when Green caught all 10 of the passes thrown to him when Revis was covering him, gaining 152 yards and a touchdown.To his credit, Revis himself acknowledged that Green got the better of him. Green didn’t need to add anything to that.

>         http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/12/after-torching-darrelle-revis-a-j-green-keeps-it-classy/

cimini_rich_m.jpg

Bills coach Rex Ryan on whether CB Darrelle Revis, whom he coached with the Jets, has slipped: "(Laughs) If he has, we know he's coming from the mountain top. I don't know how far that is. In my opinion, I think he's a hell of a football player still. Like I said, if he's coming down, he's coming down from the very, very top."

-- New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, coming off one of the worst games of his illustrious career, insisted Tuesday he won't flinch in the face of unprecedented criticism.

"I'm very confident," he said. "I've been through the trenches before."

But this is an unusual situation for Revis, a seven-time Pro Bowl selection who is being picked apart by analysts and fans.

In the Jets' 23-22 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals, Revis struggled against star receiver A.J. Green, who finished with 12 catches for 180 yards and a touchdown. Unofficially, eight receptions came against Revis, who covered him for most of the game."Most of the plays, I was right there," Revis said. "On the busted coverage [for a 54-yard touchdown], I'm supposed to get help. But at the same time, it is what it is. Like I said, I can take a punch.

"They're going to catch balls. It's not like I never got a ball caught on me. In that instance, it's just small technique things. There's no game you come out of playing a perfect game. As easy as some people make it look it seem, it is what it is. You bounce back. That's why we play week to week."From 2009 to 2014, Revis was generally regarded as the NFL's top cornerback. He struggled in a couple of games last season, inviting criticism, but it was later revealed that he played with a torn tendon in his wrist that required offseason surgery.

Revis, who is making $17 million this season, set the bar so high that it becomes news whenever the 31-year-old gets beat for a big play.Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan, who coached Revis from 2009 to 2012, laughed when asked if Revis has slipped. "If  he has, we know he's coming from the mountain top," said Ryan, whose team faces the Jets on Thursday night. "I don't know how far that is. I mean, I think he's a hell of a football player still. Like I said, if he's coming down, he's coming down from the very, very top."

Many of the receptions by Green were short gains on which Revis gave significant cushion. Coach Todd Bowles said Revis has the freedom to decide on his own whether he wants to play bump-and-run or "off" coverage.

Bowles said Revis has earned that right.

"Not everyone [has it]," Bowles said. "He does."

Revis faces another difficult challenge this week in Sammy Watkins, assuming the Bills receiver plays with a sore foot. In the season finale, Watkins torched the Jets for 136 yards on 11 catches, many of them on plays in which he exploited soft coverage by Revis. In the earlier meeting, Revis dominated Watkins, holding him to three catches for 14 yards.

Revis shrugged off the notion that he will enter Thursday night with a chip on his shoulder.

"No, I'm fine," he said. "It's a long season."

>     http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17540865/darrelle-revis-new-york-jets-confident-rebound-week-1-woes

Archived