" Revis Island ".. a return ? ? ?

kelly

@DarrylSlater If this is what the Jets gets from Revis in 2016, do you see the team converting him to safety or just letting him go in '17  ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-- Darrelle Revis never will be what he was a few years ago, but he has overcome his early-season problems -- or so he believes. He said cornerback is a "rhythm" position, and he acknowledges he didn't have much rhythm at the start of the season.

Why not ?

"Coming into the season, I had a little bit of a weight problem," the New York Jets star said Monday in an interview with ESPN New York radio. "I was trying to get my weight down. Then the first couple of games went by so fast, I couldn't really get my rhythm. Then the hamstring came."

Previously, Revis admitted his conditioning suffered because his routine was affected by offseason wrist surgery, but this was the first time he spoke of a "weight problem." After the Week 2 win over the Buffalo Bills -- a game in which he allowed an 84-yard touchdown pass -- Revis took umbrage with an Internet report that said he was out of shape. He accused his ex-agents of leaking information. It turned out to be true.On Thursday, Revis reflected on his poor start, basically saying he's a victim of his own success. He believes he gets criticized like a quarterback, traditionally the biggest lightning-rod position in the sport.

You know what  ? He's getting paid like a quarterback at $17 million in salary this season.

"I brought it upon myself by playing the game and the position at a high level for so long," he said. "Like I said, I brought it on myself. There's nothing you can do. You take the good with the bad and you go with it. It's almost like you're getting criticized like you're a QB and I'm a DB."But, at the same time, that's how it goes. ... What I've done in this league, that (why) I'm critiqued like a quarterback. You end up winning and losing games. If a pass is getting caught (on me), it's just like a quarterback throwing a game-winning touchdown or a game-losing interception. That's how it goes."

Since returning from his hamstring injury, Revis has put together two solid games. He played well against the Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald and he allowed only one reception last week against the Baltimore Ravens, who targeted him only five times."Early in the season, he had two hiccups along the way," said coach Todd Bowles, alluding to the two long touchdowns. "Other than that, he's been playing fine. He's moving a lot better. He's had some nicks here and there, but he's moving a lot better. He's playing well."

>        http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/64351/jets-darrelle-revis-admits-weight-problem-at-start-of-season

Darrelle Revis' sudden decline grabbed headlines and hot takes in every corner of America after two weeks.

He was burned by A.J. Green off the line in Week 1. He was torched on Thursday Night Footballagainst the Bills in Week 2. Wikipedia pages were altered to designate receivers as new occupants of Revis Island (which I'm not sure works that way but ... whatever). The 30-year-old wall had expanded from running back to cornerback.

Revis didn't deny that last part on Thursday.

"My body's breaking down," the Jets cornerback said, via Newsday.

Revis had to work his way into shape to start the season, and at 31, his body isn't responding to the rigors of the game like it used to. That isn't surprising. But after recording five interceptions and nine passes defensed in 2015, Revis hasn't notched a pick and has just one pass defensed in six games.

Defensive back statistics can be misleading. Revis limited Larry Fitzgerald to less than 50 yards (largely because David Johnson was having his way with the Jets' defense) against Arizona and was part of a secondary that intercepted Joe Flacco twice last week.But after a decade filled mostly with excellence, Revis knows the microscope under which he plays. He just might not have expected the sentiments to flip so quickly.

"I brought it on myself by playing the game and the position at such a high level for so long," Revis said by his locker Thursday, via NJ.com."You're getting critiqued like a quarterback, and I'm a defensive back," Revis said. "For what I've done in this league, you get critiqued like a quarterback losing games. If a pass is getting caught, it's just like a quarterback throwing a game-winning touchdown or game-losing interception. That's how it goes."

That's also how it goes when a defender has built his career on being a shutdown corner in one-on-one situations, makes an exorbitant amount of money and isn't showing the signs he can maintain a high level of play while on a high-level contract."When you play Cover Zero on some of the best receivers in the world, it takes a toll on your body," Revis said. "And your coaches have confidence to say we trust that you're going to shut down this guy that had 200 yards receiving and the week before he had (more). We trust you with that job. So it's hard. It's a lot."

It's uncommon to hear a player willingly admit the effects of age while still playing, but for aging corners, there is a second option in football. It's called playing safety.

That switch could be around a corner that is approaching faster than expected.

>           http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000729087/article/darrelle-revis-admits-father-time-is-wearing-on-him

• 4 weeks later...

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- A parallel can be drawn between Bill Belichick's remarks on New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis on Wednesday morning to what he said about quarterback Peyton Manning before last season's AFC Championship Game.

On Revis : "Just go back to our game [last year] -- really, he had a big interception against us down there. I would never underestimate that player. He’s got good skills, he’s a good competitor. I would never underestimate him."

On Manning : "Peyton's a great player. We've had tremendous battles against him through the years. There's no player off our team that I have any more respect for than Peyton Manning. So his preparation, his consistency, his skills, I would never ever, ever underestimate him under any circumstances."

These are the kind of things that are said when a once-great player is no longer at his physical peak or playing at the same high level he once was -- which was the case with Manning last season and is the case with Revis (no INTs/notable struggles) now.

Still, as Manning showed in the AFC title game, players in that situation can make a difference with intelligence and veteran savvy.So Belichick isn't taking Revis lightly leading into Sunday's road game against the Jets, and he'll do whatever he can to ensure his players don't either. He also harbors no hard feelings for Revis deciding to sign a free-agent deal with the Jets after spending the 2014 season in New England.

"We’re trying to manage an entire team and that includes everything and everybody, so we try to do what’s best for our football team each year with all the decisions that we have to make. I personally like Revis, liked coaching him. In the end, he had to make a decision that he felt was best for him and I respect that," he told Jets reporters in a conference call. "It’s not the first player that we’ve lost in free agency and it won’t be the last. Every team in the league goes through it, so it is what it is."

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4797756/bill-belichicks-remarks-on-darrelle-revis-have-shades-of-peyton-manning

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The whole strat these days is go deep vs Revis very early, you either beat him for a long gain/td or you don't but you know he will be playing off 15 yards for the rest of the game so there are free 1st downs to that side after the 1st quarter.

maybe but he has also recovered in many games to shut out the receiver in the second half.  to be sure, we aren't seeing the revis of 2009.  he's been nicked up quite a bit.  where should he be on the pay scale?  17m is too much but he should at least get as much as skrine.  and just about any corner can be beaten by the better receivers in the nfl.  look at how marshall can just maul his defender to get passes.  there are probably 7 or 8 receivers who can just have their way with any corner. 

On 9/16/2016 at 1:14 AM, Jet Nut said:

Because he gave up one play? 

So take the sarcasm and blow it out your ass.   

got to love it, a blown coverage and that's it?  If Revis blows, what's Gilchrist?  He's been god awful and has hung Revis out to dry and take the blame from people like you

Whats the stock price on your boy Darrell Mevis tonight?

You were full of full of sh1t on him in September  ... so ...looks like ...  maybe more full of sh!t? or what? 

1 hour ago, NJ said:

Whats the stock price on your boy Darrell Mevis tonight?

You were full of full of sh1t on him in September  ... so ...looks like ...  maybe more full of sh!t? or what? 

I was full of Shlt?  How so? 

That you call him Mevis says it all.  How often can you whine about Revis and him not being what he was in 09?  Does it make you feel good?  That you forget what he's meant to this team?  The shlt rolls out of your pores....

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I was full of Shlt?  How so? 

That you call him Mevis says it all.  How often can you whine about Revis and him not being what he was in 09?  Does it make you feel good?  That you forget what he's meant to this team?  The shlt rolls out of your pores....

yeah - you're right again - he means a ton to this team  - especially the way he's handcuffing us on the salary cap

Revis Island on verge of closure, as Jets' fading star faces cloudy future

-- Darrelle Revis stood in front of his locker Sunday night after the New York Jets' latest loss, trying to explain the motivation for a 3-8 team. You play for pride, he said. You play to secure a roster spot for 2017. You play to audition for the 31 other teams, putting your best stuff on film.

He was speaking in generalities, but he could've been talking about himself.

Sadly and shockingly, it has come to this:

The once-great Revis looked and sounded like a goner after surrendering the winning touchdown pass in the Jets' 22-17 loss to the New England Patriots at MetLife Stadium. He got beat twice for scores by rookie wide receiver Malcolm Mitchell, adding another stain on his AARP season. Revis isn't worth anywhere close to the $15 million he's due to make next year, as his play has deteriorated to a pedestrian level.

Barring a stunning turnaround, Revis, 31, probably will be playing elsewhere next season -- if he's playing at all."It's up to their decision," he said of the Jets, who can escape the final three years of his contract without too much salary-cap pain. "Everybody has their own individual decision. That being said, there are different roster changes. We'll see. We'll see how it goes."

Asked if he wants to be back, Revis replied, "We'll see how it goes."

Revis got old fast. It didn't help matters that he admittedly showed up out of shape for training camp. Does he care anymore? It's hard to say. He won a Super Bowl ring with the 2014 Patriots and made the score of a lifetime when Jets owner Woody Johnson, desperate for credibility, showered him with $39 million in guaranteed money. Revis took the loot -- who wouldn't? -- knowing he'd probably never get another championship shot in Woody World.

Now he's surrounded by mediocrity, paying the price. So are the Jets, who expected to get an elite cornerback for at least three seasons. He hasn't come close to the "Revis Island" star who dominated the NFL from 2008 to 2011. He has gone 10 straight games without an interception, dating to last season. He has only two pass breakups this season, meaning he's rarely in the same area code to make a play on the ball.Revis didn't get beat repeatedly Sunday -- unofficially, he allowed three completions -- but he failed to make a play with the game on the line. It was him against Tom Brady, with two minutes to play, ball at the Jets' 8. This was Revis' chance to shut up his critics, to secure an upset win over his previous team.

The Jets blitzed Brady, sending six. It was "zero" coverage, meaning no safety help. Instead of playing press-man coverage, Revis gave a five-yard cushion to Mitchell, who ran a quick out, caught the ball at the 1 and stepped into the end zone with the winning points. Revis arrived a second too late, just as he did in the second quarter on a 4-yard scoring pass to Mitchell."I'm protecting the inside and they ran 'out' routes," Revis said of the game winner, alluding to Julian Edelman, who ran a shorter 'out' to the same side on Buster Skrine. "Great execution by those guys, seeing what coverage we were in."Revis said he could've played outside technique, but he felt he would've left himself vulnerable to an inside move. He says he believes he played it correctly, adding, "The rush is supposed to get there." Instead of accepting responsibility, he threw his teammates under the bus -- poor form.

Earlier in the series, Revis played "off" coverage on Edelman, resulting in a 24-yard reception that kick-started a vintage, game-winning drive by Brady, who broke the Jets' hearts for the 23rd time."He's had his fair share of touchdown throws on me, and I've had my fair share of interceptions," Revis said of his rivalry with Brady. "It's two guys being very competitive. This time, he attacked me more than I expected. At the same time, it's football. He has to execute and I have to execute better on my end."

Mitchell called Revis a "phenomenal player, a Hall of Famer." Brady said Revis is "a great player. He's been a great player for a long time, so I have a lot of respect for him and what his abilities are."But on his biggest throw of the game, Brady picked on his former teammate, who was covering a rookie. That, more than any news-conference fluff, spoke loudest.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65157/revis-island-on-verge-of-closure-as-jets-fading-star-faces-cloudy-future

New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, who has dropped hints about the growing challenge of staying healthy in the twilight of his career, "winced" a few times on the field Sunday, according to former teammate Tom Brady.

"I know he's not feeling great," the New England Patriots' quarterback said Monday in his weekly spot on WEEI's Kirk & Callahan Show. "I could see out there, he winced out there a few times, kind of getting up. It looked like his leg was bothering him a little bit, but he was still very close on a lot of those plays. Even though you're hitting them, he's very competitive."

Revis, who allowed two touchdown receptions (including the game winner) in the Jets' 22-17 loss, suggested he's playing through "nicks and bangs."

"Some things aren't on the injury report," he said. "But at the same time, for me, personally, it's not any different in terms of being banged up late in the season. You've got to take care of your body and make sure you're 80 to 90 percent come Sunday. You have to fight your way through a long season. That's what you do. With nicks and bangs, you fight through it."

Revis hasn't appeared on the injury report for the last three games, but that's not always gospel. After all, his wrist injury last season never was mentioned and he wound up having surgery to repair a torn tendon. This season, he missed Week 5 with a pulled hamstring, but the hamstring hasn't shown up on an injury report in the past five weeks.

His regression has become a big story. Brady was asked about it, and he said:

"He's still very competitive out there. When I watched the film after the game, he's still close on a lot of plays. We made some good throws and catches on him. I thought the one Julian [Edelman] made late in the game was really critical. ... Jules did a good job of separating from him."Brady was referring to a 24-yard completion on the second play of his game-winning drive in the final five minutes. A few plays later, he picked on Revis again, an 8-yard scoring pass to rookie Malcolm Mitchell.

Revis was targeted only five times in the game, resulting in four completions for 41 yards, according to Pro Football Focus. But, because of the two touchdowns, he yielded a passer rating of 140.4."He's been one of the great players in the league for a long time," Brady said. "He's given up more plays this year than in the past, but you have to have a lot of respect for his style and his game."

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65179/tom-brady-says-jets-cb-darrelle-revis-winced-in-pain-during-game

-- Darrelle Revis acknowledged the obvious Thursday, saying it has been a "down year" for him.

His play isn't the only thing going down. His salary will, too.

Revis is to make $15 million next year, including a $2 million roster bonus on the second day of the league year in early March. There's no chance the New York Jets will pay the bonus or the remaining $13 million to an aging cornerback -- he'll be 32 next season -- so the March payout will force the sides to the bargaining table for a renegotiation.Asked if he's willing to take a pay cut, Revis said, "We'll see. We'll see what happens next year. We'll see. Lot of things going on. We'll see. We'll figure it out."

The Jets also could cut him, which I believe is the likely outcome. They would still owe him $6 million -- the last chunk of the $39 million guarantee in his five-year contract -- but from a salary-cap standpoint, they would clear $9.3 million of his $15.3 million cap charge.There's one thing that won't happen: Revis, 31, won't retire. If he calls it quits, he would surrender his $6 million guarantee. Financially, it would be better to get cut than to walk away.

"For me, personally, it's a down year," he said. "It's a down year for the team. It's a down year for me, personally, but I've been in this situation before. It's not the year for us. We've got these last couple of games this month of December to actually come out with positives at the end of the season, then focus on the offseason. For me, personally, my focus is on the future of this football club."

Revis signed a five-year, $70 million contract in 2015, but he hasn't performed up to expectations. He hasn't recorded an interception since Week 16 of last season.Asked if he wants to play beyond this year, Revis said, "I'm under contract until 2018." Technically, it's 2019, but it's a moot point. He won't see the back end of the contract.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65250/jets-cb-darrelle-revis-on-possibility-of-taking-pay-cut-well-see

-- As the Jets near the end of this miserable 3-8 season, they are facing a decision about their once-elite cornerback, Darrelle Revis, who has declined considerably this season. 

The Jets gave Revis $39 million fully guaranteed when he returned to them before the 2015 season. But there's a good chance he won't be back in Florham Park next year. He will be 32 years old at the beginning of the 2017 season. 

Revis is due to count $15.333 million against the Jets' salary cap next season -- $13 million of which is his base salary. And $6 million of that is guaranteed. Revis is going to get that money, regardless of whether he's with the Jets or not in 2017.The Jets have to make a decision about Revis by March 10 (the second day of the 2017 league year), when he is scheduled to receive a $2 million roster bonus. 

If the Jets get Revis to take a pay cut, down to that $6 million in salary he is guaranteed, his cap hit would be lowered to $8.333 million -- a savings of $7 million. If the Jets cut Revis, his dead money cap hit would be (at most) $6 million -- a savings of $9.333 million.Because of offset language in Revis' contract, that $6 million dead money hit would be lowered by whatever Revis gets from his next team (probably not much). So the Jets could really save, say, $10.333 million in cap space by cutting Revis. 

Wherever Revis plays next year, will he still be at cornerback ? Or will he move to free safety ? 

Check out the video above for our thoughts on all of this.For more in-depth analysis, watch this video below. 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/12/watch_what_should_jets_do_with_darrelle_revis_afte.html#incart_river_index

18 minutes ago, BRONX DUDE said:

Will be cut before the bonus kicks in.

End of Story.

i think we restructure him get him in an off season condition program and he plays 1 more season. 

Or Woody Johnson fires Bowles and names Revis the head coach

Come on this organization brought back the worst QB in the NFL 

• 2 weeks later...

Jets may consider moving Darrelle Revis to safety, but not this season

Darrelle Revis might move to safety, but it won't be in the Jets' final three games this season, coach Todd Bowles said. Brad Penner/USA TODAY Sports

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets are trying to win games, but they also have an eye on 2017. 'Tis the season for auditions, but there's a limit to how far coach Todd Bowles will go.

He won't move Darrelle Revis to safety, not even with a vacancy at the position.

"No," the Jets' coach said emphatically on Wednesday.

Why not?

"He's playing corner," Bowles said.

In the preseason, Revis dropped hints about switching to safety in the future. As it turned out, the future was closer than anyone could have imagined. By his own admission, Revis, 31, is having a "down year," so a position change could be on the front burner in the offseason.

Bowles admitted they might consider the safety option.

"It's not a thought process right now," he said. "It's something we might talk about in the offseason. It ain't gonna happen over the next three games."The Jets' regular free safety, Marcus Gilchrist, is out for the season after tearing a patella tendon last week. He will have surgery and his future is up in the air. This week he will be replaced by Rontez Miles, who will start alongside Calvin Pryor. Essentially, they'll be playing with two strong safeties.

Gilchrist was valuable because he called the signals for the secondary. The defense had communication issues with him on the field, so you can only imagine what it might look like without Gilchrist. Pryor and Miles will share the duties, according to Bowles."He did a tremendous job for us. He will be missed," defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said of Gilchrist. "He was almost like a coach on the field."

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65655/jets-may-consider-moving-darrelle-revis-to-safety-but-not-this-season

Why does anyone think a slow, fat, lazy, unwilling to tackle CB will be good at Safety?  It sounds like a disaster in the making mostly because Revis is a disaster...but I dont know why anyone would think for one second that Revis would put in any effort to learn that position.

This dude mailed it in 2 years ago.  He's retired, not looking for a new position. 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Why does anyone think a slow, fat, lazy, unwilling to tackle CB will be good at Safety?  It sounds like a disaster in the making mostly because Revis is a disaster...but I dont know why anyone would think for one second that Revis would put in any effort to learn that position.

This dude mailed it in 2 years ago.  He's retired, not looking for a new position. 

I agree 100%. Time to cut ties. Eat the 6 mil. Free up a ton of cap pace and go after a CB in FA and the draft. 

Unwilling tackler, injuries piling up, over-paid, the list goes on. Once cut and paid Revis will either retire or sign with a contender to play #2 or even #3 CB on a short term deal for considerably less money. A team that already has a nasty defense and a legit #1. Cardinals, Seahawks, Cowboys, Chiefs, Broncos...

You don't make him a safety. He is unwilling to tackle. In a way I hope he is injured. And can not play the way he is/was capable of he will never be revis island the lock down corner again. But if he is hurt. To the point where he is a shell of himself this year. Try to restructure his deal if possible. For next year hopefully you get a determined healthy revis. Back at corner. To be a solid. Corner. Not what he is this year. Cause. This ain't him. He is playing with no heart. I think something's up with him physically and he's not letting on. If he don't want to restructure for next year. Than cut his ass.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Jets CB Darrelle Revis, preparing for what could be his final game as a Jet, was asked "how badly" he wants to keep playing football. "It's my job," he said matter-of-factly, noting he's under contract next year. That's true, but it wouldn't surprise anyone if the Jets cut bait two years into a five-year deal.

2 hours ago, kelly said:
cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Jets CB Darrelle Revis, preparing for what could be his final game as a Jet, was asked "how badly" he wants to keep playing football. "It's my job," he said matter-of-factly, noting he's under contract next year. That's true, but it wouldn't surprise anyone if the Jets cut bait two years into a five-year deal.

Ya saw that's. He should be cut this Monday.. Not even a question now after that comment 

Jets' Darrelle Revis has reached crossroad after 'embarrassing' year

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Darrelle Revis caught some people in the New York Jets' organization by surprise when he mentioned in an August radio interview that he'd be willing to move to safety in the future. General manager Mike Maccagnan downplayed it, saying it was "far down the road."

Guess what  ? The road wasn't that long and they've reached Exit 24.

Of all the reasons for the New York Jets' dramatic collapse in 2016, the most stunning -- the I-can't-believe-what-I'm-seeing development -- has been the sharp decline of Revis. He showed signs of slippage last season, but this year has been an outright fall. He went from the pedestal, high above the masses, to what Bill Parcells used to call a "JAG" player: Just another guy.

Just another cornerback.

Maybe Revis, 31, saw it coming. Maybe that's why he started dropping hints before the season about a position switch. The bigger questions are: How did he get to this point and where do the Jets go from here?

ESPN.com interviewed five experts -- two former defensive backs, two current talent evaluators and a former head coach -- and the consensus is that Revis' days as an elite corner are over. The opinions on whether he can make a successful transition to safety are mixed.Some believe Revis has the body type, instincts and football IQ to play safety, a more cerebral position than cornerback, but others wonder if he can meet the physical demands -- i.e. a willingness to tackle. The most prevailing question is whether he has the desire to undertake a major change this late in his career.

"This is the next challenge in his life," said former NFL safety Rodney Harrison, an analyst for NBC Sports. "He doesn't want to go out being this Darrelle Revis. ... This has been a very embarrassing year for Darrelle, very embarrassing. These young guys, they're making fun and they think Darrelle Revis is such a bum where they can go out and beat him. Oh, man, come on, dude. That's going to be his motivation."

Revis attributes his fall off to his surgically repaired wrist, which he believes has limited his ability to play his trademark bump-and-run. He's playing more "off" coverage than ever, not a good mix with his skill set. He doesn't have the closing speed he once did -- he never was a burner -- and it puts him at a disadvantage against fast receivers.He also has admitted to showing up to training camp out of shape, which may explain his struggles early in the year. The Jets were so concerned by his lack of conditioning they kept him out of the first preseason game. He vows to rededicate himself in the offseason; he says retirement isn't a consideration.

But safety? It's not an easy transition. It requires run support, head-on tackling, communication and recognition skills, the ability to defeat blocks and an innate feel for angles. A safety has pre-snap responsibilities -- i.e. making a call, relaying it to teammates and organizing the defense. He sees the game from the inside-out.Conversely, a cornerback often plays on an island, not having to concern himself with those around him. Revis did it so well for nearly a decade that the "Revis Island" moniker was born.

"Darrelle is very smart and he's got a ton of experience," said Eric Mangini, his first NFL coach. "Even as a rookie, he understood the big picture. I don't think understanding the [safety] position would be a problem. I think he's a good candidate."Mangini said Revis has "tremendous versatility," which would allow him to cover wide receivers in the slot and handle pass-catching tight ends. A safety with cornerback-like coverage skills has value in today's NFL.

Former Jets safety Victor Green, who played a little cornerback early in his career, believes Revis could make a good safety, depending on the scheme.

"To me, it's logical to make the transition if they play him in the slot or in passing situations or in a Cover-3 or Cover-2 scheme," Green said. "It wouldn't be advantageous to play him as a safety in an eight-man front. There's a lot of hitting there. That would be a difficult transition if he doesn't have the mentality for it."

Ideally, Revis would be a free safety, sitting back and reading the quarterback, but it's not as simple as that. There are "strong-safety-force" situations that would require him to play near the line of scrimmage, almost like a linebacker.

Technicalities aside, Harrison wonders if Revis has lost his fire. A "tell-tale sign," he said, occurred in Week 2, when Revis surrendered an 84-yard touchdown to the Buffalo Bills' Marquise Goodwin, a sprinter who tried to qualify for the Olympics. Afterward, Revis said he wasn't aware of Goodwin's track background, an admission that surprised Harrison, who called it a lack of preparation.

"He had so much success with the Cheaters, and the motivation isn't there," Harrison said. "It's like he won a Super Bowl ring, made a lot of money and I don't know if I see that same Darrelle Revis that came in when he was a rookie. I don't see that same hunger from Darrelle.

"I have all the respect in the world for Darrelle. I think he's one of the greatest cornerbacks to play," he continued. "But the problem is this: When you relax as a football player and people see that on tape, they're going to take advantage of it because you've been so great for so long. They're laughing at you. They want to make a name off you. That's what you see. You see these wide receivers coming out more motivated and taking him deep."

An AFC scout, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said Revis "has the ability" to make the transition to safety. "He's certainly strong enough. The question will be if he wants to do it."A position switch would be a concession to his mortality as a cornerback. Hey, it happens in sports. Willie Mays was arguably the greatest center fielder in baseball history, but he started playing first base when he was 40 because his range was shot.

Revis wouldn't be the first star corner to change. Charles Woodson became a full-time safety at 36, lasting another four years. Rod Woodson did it at 34, playing another five years to polish his Hall of Fame credentials. But the successful conversions are few and far between."He has to let go of his ego and his pride," Harrison said of Revis. "This is going to be a big shock to his ego, moving from the best cornerback to now being a safety. Who knows if he can be an every-down safety? There's no guarantee.

"It's no automatic assumption that he's going to be able to make this move because even though he has football instincts, that's from the corner perspective," Harrison added. "When you're playing safety, it's a completely different game and who knows if they'll have enough patience to deal with moving him. It's a huge, huge adjustment."

It might not happen on the Jets' dime.

With a $15 million salary in 2017, Revis could be a cap casualty or be asked to take a pay cut before a $2 million roster bonus is due March 10. There's no chance the Jets will pay his entire salary. His contract includes a $6 million guarantee in 2017 -- a nice chunk of money, but probably not enough to preclude them from cutting him. The cost will be defrayed, based on offset language in his contract.

An AFC personnel director believes Revis could land "a moderate deal, perhaps with incentives" if he becomes a free agent. He speculated that Revis' former coaches would show the most interest because they know his mental makeup. One of them, Rex Ryan, just got fired by the Bills. Under Ryan, from 2009 to 2012, Revis was a transcendent player, a perennial Pro Bowl selection. Can he return to that level?

"No, no way, he doesn't have a chance to get back," Harrison said. "He was so good there's no way -- with injuries and age -- he can get back there. No way. There's no way he can do that. No. And that's OK. What you're supposed to do is you're supposed to adjust your game according to your body and your age. And he hasn't been able to do that."

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65976/jets-darrelle-revis-has-reached-crossroad-after-embarrassing-year

Damien Woody rips 'expendable' Darrelle Revis: 'What the hell is that, man?' (VIDEO)

The New York Jets host the Cincinnati Bengals in NFL action
Darrelle Revis has been really bad this season. (John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

Ex-Jets offensive lineman Damien Woody took to Periscope on Friday and ripped Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis for his comments about the organization treating him with "class" after a terrible 2016 season.

Here's what Revis told the New York Post

"Would I love to be here? Yes. Will I be back? That's a great question. My thing would be this: Do the New York Jets want to treat my situation with class or no class? With me being one of the best players in the history of this franchise, do they want me to retire here or not retire here? That's the biggest question. It's black and white. It's not very complicated."

Revis is due to count $15.3 million against the Jets' salary cap next season, but he would count just $6 million if they cut him. 

Woody was perplexed, to say the least, about Revis' "class" comment. Here are the highlights of what Woody said on Periscope: 

"What the hell is that, man? He said about the New York Jets treating him or his situation with class. Football is a cold business. It's just purely results-driven. Doesn't matter who you are.

"Everyone knows, watching the season, Darrelle hasn't had a good season by any standard. You could question effort. There were times where he turned down tackles. All the off coverage. Receivers are not even scared. They go in like, 'Revis Island? Man, I'm about to kick up my feet and have a daiquiri.'

"See, when you lose leverage, when you're not playing up to par, you don't get to call the shots anymore. Your skills have eroded to the point where you're expendable. To sit there and say like somehow the Jets are being disrespectful, I think is ludicrous.

"All this stuff about the organization not treating you with class, after the two holdouts [earlier in Revis' career], the fact that they signed you to that big deal to come back home, what are you talking about? I'm not understanding. Help me understand, please. I'm trying to figure this out, the whole class thing. I'm trying to figure that part out, because where along the line did the Jets not show class?"

Woody played with Revis for three seasons, from 2008-10 with the Jets. He has a lot of respect for Revis. 

"Especially in his prime, best player that I've ever seen," Woody said. "He was the single greatest player that I've played with, that I've just seen in football." 

But Woody questioned whether Revis could transition to safety, "especially with the tackling that I've seen this season." 

8 Jets cuts, to create $54 million in cap space

A rundown here.

Ultimately, Woody thinks retirement might be the best option for Revis. 

"Right now, I think it's that time," Woody said. "None of this talk about moving to safety. It's time to come to grips with reality. It's just time to move on to the next chapter." 

Here is the full video of Woody's comments:      > http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/12/damien_woody_rips_expendable_darrelle_revis_what_t.html#incart_river_index

Jets' Darrelle Revis, Todd Bowles have begun talks about possible move to safety

New York Jets v New England Patriots
How would Darrelle Revis do at safety? (Billie Weiss | Getty Images)
Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on January 01, 2017 at 2:23 PM, updated January 01, 2017 at 6:30 PM

EAST RUTHERFORD -- Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis told CBS broadcasters before Sunday's season finale against the Bills that he and coach Todd Bowles began talking last week about Revis perhaps moving to safety in the future. 

Revis, who turns 32 in July, has struggled this season. He is unquestionably a future Hall of Famer, but he no longer can play corner at an elite level.Even before this season, Revis brought up the possibility of moving to safety in the future, to help extend his career. Star cornerbacks like Rod Woodson and Charles Woodson have done it before. But can Revis do it? That remains unclear.(The Jets will retain Bowles for 2017, so he would get to work with Revis on a possible move to safety.) 

Revis next season is due to count $15.3 million against the Jets' salary cap, but there is no way they'll retain him at that number. If he takes a pay cut down to the money he is guaranteed, he would count $8.3 million against the cap.Revis just finished Year 2 of a contract that paid him $39 million fully guaranteed upon signing. After having five interceptions in 2015, Revis dropped off significantly in 2016. He entered Sunday with zero picks. He finally got his first and only pick of the season in the 30-10 win over the Bills.

All told, he hasn't been worth that $39 million so far. 

If the Jets cut Revis after this season, he would count $6 million, at most, against their cap. If he plays elsewhere for the veteran minimum in 2017, he would count $5 million against the Jets' cap, because of offset language in his contract. 

A rundown here.

Last week, Revis said he would wait until after this season to prepare for a possible move to safety."As of right now, I know this Sunday I'm playing cornerback," he said. "That's how I'm looking at it. It's going to be a long offseason. And then we'll see what adjustments that I maybe need to make, or moves I need to make. And we'll go from there."

Bowles said in mid-December that he wouldn't consider moving Revis to safety during the 2016 season, on a try-out basis. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/01/jets_darrelle_revis_todd_bowles_have_begun_talks_a.html#incart_river_index

Archived