For 2016 Jets, what do you think are 1 or 2 main team attributes bettered by GM Mac

SouthernJet

It seems that the team is getting deeper, younger and faster. Win or lose, we are now built to compete (at least building toward competing) in the modern NFL. It's amazing to me how quickly the team has built this depth in only two years. 

1 hour ago, Jetdawgg said:

The revamped LB Corps and the speedy, exciting WR group. Both units are major contributors to the speed and the ST's. Rontez Miles has also stood out on ST with his good blocking

Miles needs to dial it back a notch in practice or he is going to keep injuring our RBs!  I love seeing his big hits in actual games though!

UDFAs J. Marshall WR/KR/PR and D. Middleton Safety. If both make the team and can contribute on STs and as backups at their respective positions it's like we got 2 additional draft picks through good work by Mac. Both seem to have very good instincts Marshall on O as WR and Middleton at S. 

Also, if the Punter and WR picked in round 7 both make the team, then that is very good work by Mac as well since that round is used mainly to trade up to get higher picks or rarely perhaps get a decent player.

Mac is a talent evaluator and apparently a good one.

He finds talented FAs and signs them to team friendly contracts in the all important duration/dead money dept.  He may have overpaid slightly i.e. in the Revis/Harris/Wilk/Fitz contracts and I can live that provided we can get out when the getting is good.  A great GM knows/understands "talent decline" and plans accordingly.

He seems to draft pretty well also.        

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Profiteering off of the martyrdom of John Idzik. If we're being real, Maccagnan is a vulture a la the weasel Joe Torre, who suckled on the teet of Buck Showalter's vision.

object lesson on  illogical posting.

Let's put in order the most important people that led to this turnaround for the organization.

1- Charley Casserly (This is where it all started, without his guidance Woody is still Mr. Magoo).

2- Macc daddy. Jets finally cleaned house. This organization seemed to ALWAYS keep people who didn't deserve to stay during regime changes. Macc finally has all his people in place.

3- Todd Bowles hiring. After Rex the Jets needed someone with a calm demeaner who carries a big stick. Bowles is cool as a cucumber during games & expects the same from the team in big spots during games. He's respected by the team, but he's no pushover. Just seeing the difference in his 2nd year, this team buckles down & gets down to business. You can just see the level of professionalism is so much higher that the youngsters are stepping right in line & know what's expected of them. 

Chan Gailey- Another coach with a calm demeanor. His spread offensive philosophy is perfect for this new NFL. Add in my #5 best moves & it's an even better decision.

5-  Retaining Fitzy. I know, he hasn't been to the playoffs but damn we were close. Most years 10 gets you in. We all know Fitz is a workman QB getting by on smarts & guile. Ivory was a mismatch with Fitz. Powell when healthy was a match made in heaven for Fitz. 

6- The trade for Marshall. Enough said.

7- The addition of Forte. If Powell can be explosive with Fitz at QB imagine what can happen with having both guys substituting for one another. Chan & Fitz can run their entire offense with either one on the field as both can run, catch, & block.

8- Because of Forte, the next most important upgrade is the LBs. I doubt they are all up to speed in the 1st half of the year so I'm praying for a decent start record wise. But, if we stay healthy, we could have one helluva defense down the stretch. The speed increase was much needed & will help the secondary tremendously. Bowles likes bringing pressure & he had Harris (slow), Davis (horrible recognition & angle taker), Pace (dinosaur). Macc put a young group together very quickly but it takes time for guys to see what's happening around them, but that added speed can make up for some mistakes.

9- Special Teams. I know what your thinking, where is the receiver group? Hey, having Marshall, Decker, Enunwa already I just have to put upgrading special teams before the upgrades at WR this year. Our special teams were atrocious last year & literally were a huge part of 3 of our 6 losses. With the offense & defense the Jets will send out there this year, the addition of some special teams plays will really make them a tough out. Just the lost yardage in field position alone in 2015 to the yardage gains we might see in 2016 could be the difference in making the playoffs.

10- WR upgrades. Macc had Decker, traded for Marshall, drafted Devon Smith. But if he gets 2 of the three guys he brought in, Jalin, Ross, Peake to contribute watch out. It's amazing to me to think we're talking about who's going to get cut at WR! I know Thompkins has experience but I'd cut him for a WR/ST guy that's flashing big time like Jalin or Ross. When the Jets substitute this year on offense they'll be no breaks for the defense. Plus Chan has 3 starters that are interchangeable & can line up wide or in the slot. Then when he adds a 4th WR, say Jalin or Ross he's putting shifty guys out there who are excellent runners in the open field. If 2 guys pan out & Smith eventually gets back, it's not hyperbole to say the Jets might have the deepest WR group in the league. Pretty...pretty...pretty good!

Next year he works on the Oline.

Depth.

Last year Macc did a damn good job turning the cheapest team in the NFL into a game away from the playoffs team without having to endure a year or two of losses while we went through a rebuild. Only so much work can be done in a single year and one major problem we had was that when a starter fell due to injury there was no quality depth and the dropoff in skill was tremendous. We also didn't have the depth to field a good ST unit which also hurt us. There's still work to be done on the OL but, again, there is only so much to be done in one season.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Let's put in order the most important people that led to this turnaround for the organization.

1- Charley Casserly (This is where it all started, without his guidance Woody is still Mr. Magoo).

2- Macc daddy. Jets finally cleaned house. This organization seemed to ALWAYS keep people who didn't deserve to stay during regime changes. Macc finally has all his people in place.

3- Todd Bowles hiring. After Rex the Jets needed someone with a calm demeaner who carries a big stick. Bowles is cool as a cucumber during games & expects the same from the team in big spots during games. He's respected by the team, but he's no pushover. Just seeing the difference in his 2nd year, this team buckles down & gets down to business. You can just see the level of professionalism is so much higher that the youngsters are stepping right in line & know what's expected of them. 

Chan Gailey- Another coach with a calm demeanor. His spread offensive philosophy is perfect for this new NFL. Add in my #5 best moves & it's an even better decision.

5-  Retaining Fitzy. I know, he hasn't been to the playoffs but damn we were close. Most years 10 gets you in. We all know Fitz is a workman QB getting by on smarts & guile. Ivory was a mismatch with Fitz. Powell when healthy was a match made in heaven for Fitz. 

6- The trade for Marshall. Enough said.

7- The addition of Forte. If Powell can be explosive with Fitz at QB imagine what can happen with having both guys substituting for one another. Chan & Fitz can run their entire offense with either one on the field as both can run, catch, & block.

8- Because of Forte, the next most important upgrade is the LBs. I doubt they are all up to speed in the 1st half of the year so I'm praying for a decent start record wise. But, if we stay healthy, we could have one helluva defense down the stretch. The speed increase was much needed & will help the secondary tremendously. Bowles likes bringing pressure & he had Harris (slow), Davis (horrible recognition & angle taker), Pace (dinosaur). Macc put a young group together very quickly but it takes time for guys to see what's happening around them, but that added speed can make up for some mistakes.

9- Special Teams. I know what your thinking, where is the receiver group? Hey, having Marshall, Decker, Enunwa already I just have to put upgrading special teams before the upgrades at WR this year. Our special teams were atrocious last year & literally were a huge part of 3 of our 6 losses. With the offense & defense the Jets will send out there this year, the addition of some special teams plays will really make them a tough out. Just the lost yardage in field position alone in 2015 to the yardage gains we might see in 2016 could be the difference in making the playoffs.

10- WR upgrades. Macc had Decker, traded for Marshall, drafted Devon Smith. But if he gets 2 of the three guys he brought in, Jalin, Ross, Peake to contribute watch out. It's amazing to me to think we're talking about who's going to get cut at WR! I know Thompkins has experience but I'd cut him for a WR/ST guy that's flashing big time like Jalin or Ross. When the Jets substitute this year on offense they'll be no breaks for the defense. Plus Chan has 3 starters that are interchangeable & can line up wide or in the slot. Then when he adds a 4th WR, say Jalin or Ross he's putting shifty guys out there who are excellent runners in the open field. If 2 guys pan out & Smith eventually gets back, it's not hyperbole to say the Jets might have the deepest WR group in the league. Pretty...pretty...pretty good!

Next year he works on the Oline.

These are all great. These three also come to mind...

-Signing Revis: The Jets desperately needed a #1 CB and they got oe of the best. Nuff said. You could argue that the whole secondary was re-vamped with the addition of Gilchrist and Skrine, but just getting Revis was huge. 

-Maintaining a dominant D-line: Drafting L.Williams (yes, I know everyone says it was a no-brainer), re-signing Wilk and filling the loss of Snacks with Jenkins and McLendon (yes, I know we have yet to see how they will do as replacements) was huge in maintaining the strength of our defense.   

-Smart cap management: Macc has shown that he is keeping an eye on the future, particularly the cap in all the deals he made when signing players. Whether its getting guys on the cheap or signing them to big money, he has set the franchise up with good cap flexibility while maintaing a very competitive, contending team.  

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Profiteering off of the martyrdom of John Idzik. If we're being real, Maccagnan is a vulture a la the weasel Joe Torre, who suckled on the teet of Buck Showalter's vision.

Lol.  You don't even believe what you just wrote.

21 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Character. Not to the ridiculous extreme of Mangini, but guys that have enormous talent without the mounds of baggage ala Holmes, Edwards, Harvin, or clowns like Sanchez. Guys that Put football first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a great point. Though we don't have the super rah rah guys, we do have All Pros & lunchpail Guys that lead by example. True All Pros, Revis, Mo, Sheldon, hopefully Williams & Pryor this year on Defense. 

On offense you've got Mangold, Clady, Marshall, Decker, Forte. I would consider lunchpail guys like Fitz, Powell, Enunwa, Carpenter, on offense. On defense the lunchpail crew are Harris, McClendon, Mauldin, Jenkins, Lee, Skrine, Gilchrist, Miles.

That's a lot of character guys. Then you add in Reilly, Carter, Bishop. Macc did a great job of putting together some damn good hustlers which inspire everyone during games by CONTRIBUTING whatever they can, in whatever capacity that might be. There are absolutely no whiners on this team, just a bunch of guys fighting to have a position on the team but who actually help each other out & generally like each other. Chemistry is huge in the NFL if you don't have a star QB. Manning was a shell of himself last year & they won the freaking Super Bowl. 

There isn't a team in the AFC that the Jets can't beat on any given day. This isn't the 2014 team by a long shot. We are definitely gonna find out what we're made of playing against Cards, Seahawks & KCs secondaries, all coming in the 1st half of the year. Maybe, just maybe, we finally see what happens when you've got more than 2 weapons. We all know how great Peterson, Matheus, Sherman, Thomas, Peters, Berry, but this is when we find out about our upgrades at the 3/4/5 WRs & getting Amaro back. Forte & Powell are both like having another WR on the field. It's that old adage you can't cover them all.

Enunwa looks to be even better, more polished & more importantly really confident (that's when guys take to another level). If J.Marshall, Ross or Peake turn out to be better than Thompkins was last year then look out, we're gonna see some fireworks in the open field this fall. We're gonna look like other top teams on offense where a 5 yard slant might go for 80 yards. Those explosion plays break games wide open when in conjunction with strip sacks & picks on the other side.

The obvious element is team speed, especially at linebacker, and the related upgrade of that corps.  A more subtle one seems to be finding guys who will support each other and not become distractions.  How that is playing out is also on Bowles, to his credit.  But it has to be the case that such goal is a factor on how they are putting together the team.

15 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Depth.

Last year Macc did a damn good job turning the cheapest team in the NFL into a game away from the playoffs team without having to endure a year or two of losses while we went through a rebuild. Only so much work can be done in a single year and one major problem we had was that when a starter fell due to injury there was no quality depth and the dropoff in skill was tremendous. We also didn't have the depth to field a good ST unit which also hurt us. There's still work to be done on the OL but, again, there is only so much to be done in one season.

In a nutshell, yeah.

Rebuilding/restocking and NOT sucking while doing so is all I we need to see. Too many times in near 40 years I have watched this team re-whatever itself into something resembling an NFL team after horrendous seasons of WTF, only to re-whatever itself into something else.

At least we FINALLY seem to have some continuity and stability, through legitimate planning and leadership which is VITAL to succeeding in the NFL. Where we can go from here is anyones guess. FINALLY!

Archived