S Rontez Miles ~ ~ ~

kelly

As we approach the 2016 season, we are going to profile the players on the roster. Today we look at Rontez Miles

Name: Rontez Miles

Number: 45

Year With Jets: 4th training camp

Projected Role: Backup safety/subpackage player/special teamer

His 2015: Miles leveraged a strong preseason into a spot on the practice squad. Then his number was called when the safety position was hit with injuries. He played a strong game against Buffalo starting on a Thursday night and another quality game off the bench against the Giants.

2016 will be a success if: Miles plays at the same level he did in those limited snaps he got last year. He seems to always be around the ball against the run. Todd Bowles might find some creative ways to get him onto the field as a linebacker/safety hybrid. Safety has long been a problem spot for the Jets, but it feels like there is now solid depth for once.

Odds of making the roster: Probable (75-99%)

>         http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/8/15/12484424/jets-roster-analysis-rontez-miles-gives-the-jets-safety-depth

I like Miles ever since the big play he made at the goal line vs the Giants last year......he reminds me a little of James Ihedigbo, not the same player exactly, but feels like he'll fill a similar role with the team.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, kelly said:

As we approach the 2016 season, we are going to profile the players on the roster. Today we look at Rontez Miles

Name: Rontez Miles

Number: 45

Year With Jets: 4th training camp

Projected Role: Backup safety/subpackage player/special teamer

His 2015: Miles leveraged a strong preseason into a spot on the practice squad. Then his number was called when the safety position was hit with injuries. He played a strong game against Buffalo starting on a Thursday night and another quality game off the bench against the Giants.

2016 will be a success if: Miles plays at the same level he did in those limited snaps he got last year. He seems to always be around the ball against the run. Todd Bowles might find some creative ways to get him onto the field as a linebacker/safety hybrid. Safety has long been a problem spot for the Jets, but it feels like there is now solid depth for once.

Odds of making the roster: Probable (75-99%)

>         http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/8/15/12484424/jets-roster-analysis-rontez-miles-gives-the-jets-safety-depth

"Tiny Backer" Part II

• 2 weeks later...

Rontez Miles  disclosed a message that new coordinator Brant Boyer delivered at his special teams meeting before Saturdays' Jets-Giants clash.

"Coach Boyer actually called it out in the meeting," Miles said. "He told the room, 'I think Rontez is going to block a punt today,' just because of the way they ran their scheme and the way I rush. He called it before it even happened so it wasn't a surprise."It might be considered a small surprise that any Jets teams coach would foresee such a play. The Jets hadn't blocked a kick of any kind in any pre- or regular-season games since 2013.

Yet there were Miles and  Bruce Carter  crashing in on Giants punter Brad Wing from opposite ends of the line, converging on the point where Wing-ed foot was about to meet pigskin. Carter got credit for the rejection and Lache Seastrunk for the recovery that gave the Jets the ball on the Giants 14 midway through the first quarter.

"To be honest, it looked like Bruce was under me," said Miles, who had another great outside punt rush in the next quarter. "But I feel like we both were back there. If he wouldn't have got there, I would've got there. If I wouldn't have got there, he would've got there. So it was a good play by both us." Miles' good play at safety and on special teams is standing him in good stead as Tuesday's first roster cutdown to 75 players and Saturday's final cut to 53 loom. This is 'Tez's fourth summer with the Green & White so he's been through this drill before.

"I feel I'm supposed to make the team every year. I know I can play football. Obviously I do have film," he said, although all things considered, he'd like to hang with the Green. "I've been blessed to stick around with the same organization, which is a blessing because that's hard to do in this game, at this level of play."And it sounds as if Miles really wants to contribute to the 2016 Jets, on defense but also on his favorite special teams.

"The play this year speaks for itself," he said. "There's a lot of things we're doing better than last year. That's no shade on any coach, it's just that we're looking better and we have depth, too. This is probably going to be the hardest cutting process I've been involved in since I've been here. This team is loaded with a lot of great players."

Is Rontez Miles one of them ? "We're going to see," he said with a smile.

>            http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Rontez-Miles-Confident-as-Cutdowns-Near/9eab8218-7f5f-44f5-9f3a-5ed322af1980

• 3 months later...

With starting safety  Calvin Pryoricon-article-link.gif  nursing a concussion,  Rontez Milesicon-article-link.gif  sits on deck for Monday’s game against the Colts.

Predominantly a special teams ace, Miles has made an impact with his limited snaps on defense. Against the Rams, Miles was integral in a goal-line stand early in the first quarter as he drove back TE Lance Kendricks for no gain on second and goal from the 2. Last Sunday against the Patriots, the Jets flooded the field with defensive backs and Miles became part of a three-safety look that included Pryor and Marcus Gilchristicon-article-link.gif .  

“I’m way more patient,” Miles said this week. “I understand the game, the small things. Last year was more of a fire reaction — I see, go get ball. This year I’m able to see it sooner. I’m able to calm down, which allows me to be less antsy on the field. Everybody knows I’m jittery, I’ll be ready to make a play. I’m way more calm, there’s more patience in my game. My man coverage is better, too.”Those improved cover skills will be tested again Monday night as three of the Colts’ top five reception leaders include a pair of tight ends (Jack Doyle and Dwayne Allen) and a running back (Frank Gore). However, the Cal (PA) product feels prepared to line up against whomever after the valuable experience against the Patriots in Week 12.

“Last week I shadowed [Rob] Gronkowski and covered [Martellus] Bennett and their running backs,” he said. “That’s what they want me to do.”

Miles, donned an “energizer bunny” by special teams coordinator Brant Boyer, may have a flare for the bright lights. The 6’0”, 203-pounder’s first start came in primetime and No. 2 could be a couple of days away with Pryor being ruled out Saturday.Last season, Miles made his debut on Thursday Night Football against the Bills in Week 10, playing 98% of the defensive snaps and racking up seven total tackles, three of which were for loss. While he said nothing will compare to his first professional start, he’s excited for another matchup under the lights. Miles has 23 defensive tackles this season and he needs just two to set a personal best.

“It’s Monday night so we know everyone is watching,” he said. “As Coach Bowles would say, ‘It’s the only show in town.’ I think everybody is pretty balanced where we need to be mentally.”

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Miles-Ready-to-Step-Up-if-Called-Upon/b5ae3b61-95c1-4a30-b24c-a62295627ca2

hopefully they bring Middleton up from the practice squad. Would like to see him get a look this season. 

They were saying yesterday how happy the Steelers are with Sean Davis last night. I feel they were similar college players. Both played safety and corner. tested well, and are physical players

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 1:54 PM, Jetdawgg said:

Smart and very tough. Makes big plays at big times. Go Jets.

Yeah I agree, I especially loved his pick 6 ....oh wait, we haven't had a pick 6 in 10 years. Or was it that int to win a big game? Oh wait we never get big stops at the end of games stupid me.

Please forgive me, too much LSD in the 70's.

• 2 weeks later...

Notes & Quotes: Rontez Ready to Roll

Posted 19 hours ago

•  
  •  

Miles Set to Start at Safety; Shell Prepared If Called On at RT; Marshall's Packing a Penalty Flag

miles-notes-1215-story.jpg

Next man up at safety means it's Rontez Miles' turn to step in for Marcus Gilchrist, who's gone to injured reserve. And Miles says it's no sweat becoming a defensive starter for the last three games of the Jets' season."I won't say it's a big change," Miles told me this week. "Last year I was the swing safety so when I got activated I backed up both spots. I'm not nervous, I'm not overthinking it. It's football. We're all professionals, so I'm not really worried about it. Nothing's going to change or get altered because there's a person missing." 

Head coach Todd Bowles was asked about who'll be making the DB calls now that the "quarterback of the secondary" is sidelined and said it would be a combination of Miles, Calvin Pryor, DC Kacy Rodgers and himself making and monitoring the calls. Miles called it "collective communication ... the same thing we do every week." 

As for playing time, Miles has been picking up steam since midway through last season, playing in the last 22 games (two starts) with averages of more than 15 defensive snaps and more than 20 special teams plays a game."Rontez is getting comfortable back there in his roles," Bowles said, "and we're fine having him back there." And the only thing Miles is a little uncomfortable with is maybe giving up his special teams work. 

"I asked them to keep me on," he said. "Last game I played all four [kickoff return, kickoff coverage, punt return, punt coverage] and played the second half on defense, so I'm capable of doing it. I guess with the numbers and with some of the younger guys having to come up, they'll probably tell me to stay off teams and focus on defense, but I might sneak out there once or twice. We'll see how it goes." 

rest of above article :  

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Notes--Quotes-Rontez-Ready-to-Roll/26129375-affd-4f1a-a37f-09533980f13a

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived