Why we haven't seen Hack IMO

Snell41

On August 20, 2016 at 7:59 AM, Sarge4Tide said:

I think it's great he hasn't played yet.  Hope he's inactive for all 16 games.  Then next year, him and Petty can go to war and may the best man win  Hell, even if we bring Fitz back again in 17, with Petty as #2 and Hack doesn't play at all again in 17, that's fine with me, too.  I like Hack but 2 years of sitting and learning with no pressure would be great for him, or almost any NFL QB.  

Wow!!

Sanity!!!!

Thank you!!!

Obviously I agree with your post 100% so it must be right :) 

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Matt39 said:

If Im the Jets I release Geno this week. Lame duck contract and is 100% gone next year regardless....all he's doing right now is taking reps away from Petty, who will be on the team next year. And it's not like Geno looks remotely playable either.

Keep geno here for the preseason   

Next week play Fitz then Petty then let Hack clean up  

against the Eagles let Hack start play the first half and some of the 3rd and then let Geno clean up   

I'd keep geno because if a qb gets injured you don't have to rush to sign someone 

Hack is Mac's project, he is not going anywhere. I am with the cut Geno camp, if Petty continues to do well and Geno remains Geno, then I am in favor of cutting Geno.  I am concerned however that this kid is not at least seeing some late 4th quarter play. I agree that the CS is evaluating Geno/Petty but seeing a guy like  Dak P playing like he did the last two games as I saw the whole game against the Fins as I live in South Fl It was a bit disheartening to see this kid come out and play like he did and our guy is hitting reporters instead of WR's. 

I know its two different  QB's etc but watching this Kid play was impressive, granted it is only preseason.

1 hour ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Hack is Mac's project, he is not going anywhere. I am with the cut Geno camp, if Petty continues to do well and Geno remains Geno, then I am in favor of cutting Geno.  I am concerned however that this kid is not at least seeing some late 4th quarter play. I agree that the CS is evaluating Geno/Petty but seeing a guy like  Dak P playing like he did the last two games as I saw the whole game against the Fins as I live in South Fl It was a bit disheartening to see this kid come out and play like he did and our guy is hitting reporters instead of WR's. 

I know its two different  QB's etc but watching this Kid play was impressive, granted it is only preseason.

I think the coaches wanted to see Petty playing from behind and thats why they left him in. If tne game was out of hand one way or the other I think we would have seen Hack in mop up play.  Bowles said "coaches decision" which leads me to that conclusion. 

In 2 years when Geno Smith is hopefully long gone, Jet fans will still be blaming him for the misfortunes of this franchise . I submit one Mark Sanchez as evidence of this .  Therefore, I take back my comment of hoping that the Jets do Smith a favor and cut him. It would be a favor to the kid if he was cut, but I think  the misery of Jet fans having to deal with this kid still being on the roster might be more enjoyable both to him and to me on a selfish perspective.

I Speak prophetically, Go Jets, and long term contract for Geno Smith  .

That is all .

He's a QB drafted at #51 overall and he's apparently too fragile or incompetent to appear in a preseason game. A preseason game. Calling the situation a mess is actually pretty charitable.

What changed in a few hours?

I, too, think that not playing a rookie QB we drafted in the 2nd round in a preseason game, is Actually Good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

What changed in a few hours?

I believe its called sarcasm.

This seems like another disastrous waste of a 2nd round draft pick by the Jets...again.  QB's taken before and after Hacknsack are playing and gaining experience.  He must be a train wreck at practice which isnt suprising given his performance in college.

54 minutes ago, SpartanJet said:

This seems like another disastrous waste of a 2nd round draft pick by the Jets...again.  QB's taken before and after Hacknsack are playing and gaining experience.  He must be a train wreck at practice which isnt suprising given his performance in college.

Disastrous according to whom?

It's pretty clear after Geno's performance Friday the CS wanted to see more of Petty thus the CD-DNP for Hack.

This PS is about getting Fitz ready, evaluating & determining what to do with Geno and Petty for the backup role.

So the Jets have to follow what every other team, including poorly run ones, are doing to make you happy?

Let's just say Hack played a few series and has thrown 10 passes, that is going to be the indicator of successful or failure?

Development not only includes on field, but also observing, after practice work, off-field / film & meeting work

He's most likely going to play a lot game 4 so everyone then can find something else to bitch about.

People are bat sh*t crazy, jets put the rookie in and they rush him, now they hold him back and try to devolp a pick and he must be terrible, how about he's a 2nd Rd pick that's needs to learn like almost every rookie, and the jets whether you like it or not are gonna finally try to devolp a QB and another plus to this is Hack is not playing this year why put him when there are other needs and players that should see the reps and practice for the benefit of THIS years team. Hack might be terrible, he might be the savior, who knows but one thing I do know is the Jets for the first time in a long time are doing what's best for the player and the team, not for back pages or fans. 

You know, I finally got to watch the entire game, and I didn't think Geno Smith Play as badly as everyone around here says he did or that Bryce Petty played as great as has been stated .

Geno did not play well, but he wasn't horrible.

Petty played well, but he was special.

After watching the game, I came away thinking that Byrce Petty is exactly where Geno Smith was in his second year and still behind him as far as both of their development is concern. Petty is improving and looks relax . Geno is frustrated and pressing and it shows .

5 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

People are bat sh*t crazy, jets put the rookie in and they rush him, now they hold him back and try to devolp a pick and he must be terrible, how about he's a 2nd Rd pick that's needs to learn like almost every rookie, and the jets whether you like it or not are gonna finally try to devolp a QB and another plus to this is Hack is not playing this year why put him when there are other needs and players that should see the reps and practice for the benefit of THIS years team. Hack might be terrible, he might be the savior, who knows but one thing I do know is the Jets for the first time in a long time are doing what's best for the player and the team, not for back pages or fans. 

Unless he is simply 100% unprepared, it's hard to see how "not play, not get any snaps" is whats "best" for Hack or best for the Franchise, given we paid a 2nd Round Pick to get him.  Generally you have to actually touch a football in order to "develop".

It's fine, I suppose, if he is indeed 100% unready.  One can argue he's a long-term developmental pick.  Thats ok.

But please lets not call sh*t a diamond.  If he's 100% unready to play, and hence does not play, the cost paid to get him was way too high.  Unready developmental QB's are late round picks, not 2nd round picks.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Unless he is simply 100% unprepared, it's hard to see how "not play, not get any snaps" is whats "best" for Hack or best for the Franchise, given we paid a 2nd Round Pick to get him.  Generally you have to actually touch a football in order to "develop".

It's fine, I suppose, if he is indeed 100% unready.  One can argue he's a long-term developmental pick.  Thats ok.

But please lets not call sh*t a diamond.  If he's 100% unready to play, and hence does not play, the cost paid to get him was way too high.  Unready developmental QB's are late round picks, not 2nd round picks.

He might be terrible, he might be amazing, my point is they're were other needs the team needed to see in game action and hack isnt in this year plans him not playing was not an indictment on him.....yet, 

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I don't think anyone would argue that we reached for him in the second. there was a good chance he could have made it to the late third or early fourth. No one would argue that we drafted him to come in and be our franchise QB right away he was taken as a project, that is pretty obvious. 

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Says who? 

6 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I don't think anyone would argue that we reached for him in the second. there was a good chance he could have made it to the late third or early fourth. No one would argue that we drafted him to come in and be our franchise QB right away he was taken as a project, that is pretty obvious. 

How do you know? How does anyone know what 31 other teams plans were? 

I can hear it now. Jets pass on Hack in the 2nd some (insert team) picks him 10 picks later and 2018 wins league MVP.  "Same ol Jets should have taken him in the 2nd" "Mccagnan sux" "Idzik would have taken him" 

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

For the most part they mean well, but you can't forget from whence the word "fan" is derived . 3 weeks ago, these folks had Bryce Petty heading for the practice squad at best or being cut at worst. 3 Weeks later, he's 1 injury from taking over as the starting QB of the Jets in the eyes of these same folks .

Just now, C Mart said:

How do you know? How does anyone know what 31 other teams plans were? 

I can hear it now. Jets pass on Hack in the 2nd some (insert team) picks him 10 picks later and 2018 wins league MVP.  Same ol Jets should have taken him in the 2nd. Mccagnan sux. Idzik would have taken him

what i do KNOW is that the Jets valued Hack more than any other team that is why he is on our roster. If they think he needs to take time on the bench to develop i trust them. I am happy with how our team is turning out currently and trust their system.

2 hours ago, SpartanJet said:

Logic at its best.  

He must be a train wreck has to be.  Because I haven't seen him play he must suck.

The part that's unsurprising that a Jet fan thinks this way. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Where did you decide this was true? 

How many QBs have you developed using this foolproof method?  Prove to us that playing a raw rookie in the 4th quarter of a preseason game makes him better that through practice.  

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

I hope the Jets never have the overall #1 pick and take a QB. Poor guy will never stand a chance with this fanbase. 

Oh please.  

Holding realistic expectations that our 2nd Round Draft Pick QB should probably be able to complete an easy, open pass in practice, or play a few downs in the 4th in a Preseason game, is hardly holding him to some special snowflake standard that's impossible to achieve.

Stop babying the guy, he's a Professional Athlete making millions now.  Not a baby in a diaper that needs your E-white knight protection.  

Patience is fine.  But this kid looks, thus far, like a massive over-reach (i.e. cost > likely chance of success/value at selection) who will needs years just to be able to complete open passes.  Sorry, that's for 7th rounders, not 2nd rounders.  We could have had a starter on the O-line in the 2nd, or a starter in the secondary.

Instead, we have a guy who it appears won't be competent to even play int he preseason till his second year.  If then.

I don't want to trade him, or cut him, or start him now as some idiots here said on draft day.  I'm happy to wait.  But being unableto admit his status as it is today is.....well, pretty bad......is just not seeing reality as it is.  

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Maccagnan has some splainin to do...especially if Lynch starts in Denver. 

Hackeberg should 100% be cut.

No.

If Hack looks bad that's one thing, and long term possibly something Mac has to confront as a failure. Butthe potential is there and the raw stuff is there. Getting rid of him to keep Geno who is just bad at football is stupid. The value of this Hack pick will have to do with other players drafted around the jets pick of hackenberg and their successes if Hack fails.

If hack is still not even capable of pushing for time next year - provided Petty doesn't become a star, then reasonable people should talk about cutting him.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Maccagnan has some splainin to do...especially if Lynch starts in Denver. 

Hackeberg should 100% be cut.

I disagree with this, and I disliked the hack pick a lot. My thought process is if you can't play in college, how will you play well in the NFL? Of course this has happened in the past, where players figure it out or maybe it truly was a coaching issue... But my thought process is if a player is truly good he will overcome obstacles and show promise and play well given bad circumstances.  He didn't do that. 

However, it's been literally a few weeks, every player from first round picks to undrafted players should be given a fair shot. Cutting him now literally makes no sense. He can still develop. Accuracy isn't something that can really be taught at this point, but hey who knows. Some players looked awful but they figure it out sometimes. Sometimes you get guys who can straight up kill it in practice and are terrible in games, and vice versa. Look at geno. All we ever hear about is how great he looks on practice. But he plays terrible in games! 

I'm saying I'll give hack two seasons of grace period. If he doesn't show next season at least something to the coaches then his 3rd year should be do or die for him. But a few weeks into his rookie campaign? No way. 

Archived