Zach Mettenberger.....just sayin'

JOJOTOWNSELL

Are we secure enough in our QB situation to forget about our old friend Zach?  He is on the verge of getting cut, funny how quickly perceptions change lol.  I wonder how many people on the board would rather go with Petty than him as the backup?  

http://lsu.247sports.com/Article/Zach-Mettenberger-battling-for-roster-spot-with-San-Diego-46865824

When Zach Mettenberger was picked up by San Diego shortly after he was cut by Tennessee, many expected the former LSU signal-caller to compete with Kellen Clemens for the backup spot to Phillip Rivers.

Midway through the preseason, it now looks like Mettenberger is in for the fight of his life to just earn a spot on the practice squad.

After completing just 2-of-8 passes for 22 yards with an interception in his preseason debut, to go with two sacks and a fumble, Mettenberger was looking to redeem himself in Friday’s, 19-3, win against Arizona.

That opportunity, however, never came.

Instead, San Diego went with Mettenberger’s biggest competition – undrafted rookie free agent Mike Bercovici – for an extended time in the second half that kept Mettenberger on the sideline.

“We gave Mike (Bercovici) an opportunity to go in there for a half,” said head coach Mike McCoy. “We said we wanted to give him a good half to see how he could do it and (he) went in there and made some good plays.

“(He) is a young player; a young quarterback that is going to make some mistakes, miss some throws, make some plays (and be) a little bit up and down at times. But there’s nothing like experience…You can’t ever take these reps away from players so that is the great thing about the preseason games for the young players.”

Bercovici responded by completing 9-of-13 throws for 108 yards. That was a better outing than his debut the previous week when he completed 3-of-6 passes for 46 yards with an interception.

Some who cover the Chargers feel that Bercovici has the inside track ahead of Mettenberger for the No. 3 spot.

Mettenberger is expected to get a chance to show what he can do next week against Minnesota in what could be a do-or-die situation for the third-year pro.

1 minute ago, Anthony Jet said:

I missed the year the year he threw 25 plus tds but not to derail the thread, mortensen wasn't that far off. 2nd best qb to come out of that draft

Similar success i DID NOT SAY SAME SUCCESS lets see if Fitzpatrick can do it again hopefully he does better. 

They both have won NOTHING in the NFL 

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Similar success i DID NOT SAY SAME SUCCESS lets see if Fitzpatrick can do it again hopefully he does better. 

Oh yea I remember Clemens sign in a multi year $90 million contract. 

So let me get this straight Marino= Fitzpatrick ?  Both have won nothing

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Don't hijack with this crap.

Another perfect example of how some folks have no idea what they're talking about when they talk about Quarterbacks.

We had folks who wanted to trade real assets for this guy. smh

Let's be honest, you or I don't know anymore than the people you're calling clueless...Its a crapshoot with QB's whether you're a GM or a fan....Nobody knows....Curt Warner finds are pure luck.

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

Another perfect example of how some folks have no idea what they're talking about when they talk about Quarterbacks.

We had folks who wanted to trade real assets for this guy. smh

i think, for the most part, we should be thankful that no one on this board makes any decisions for the jets

35 minutes ago, Rexorcism said:

Let's be honest, you or I don't know anymore than the people you're calling clueless...Its a crapshoot with QB's whether you're a GM or a fan....Nobody knows....Curt Warner finds are pure luck.

We do know.  Bringing Mettenberger would be useless.  He is no better than Geno.  Why bring him in to replace Geno?  We need to see what we have developed in Petty.  If Petty isn't the answer, you move on until you find the one that is.

39 minutes ago, Rexorcism said:

Lol, whatever you say.

We do know.  Bringing Mettenberger would be useless.  He is no better than Geno.  Why bring him in to replace Geno?  We need to see what we have developed in Petty.  If Petty isn't the answer, you move on until you find the one that is.

I didn't mean we should bring him in, I mean we don't know whether he will be successful down the road...My post was in response to Warfish criticizing posters that wanted to trade for Mettenberger in the past.

Lol, whatever you say.

lol, yourself...

You don't know what any QB will become, just as I don't.

Vinny Testaverde is the perfect example, the light went on for him in his 8th season with a new team.

Going by your comment, you would have laughed off Cleveland signing him that year and probably us signing him in 98...

1 minute ago, Rexorcism said:

lol, yourself...

You don't know what any QB will become, just as I don't.

Vinny Testaverde is the perfect example, the light went on for him in his 8th season with a new team.

Going by your comment, you would have laughed off Cleveland signing him that year and probably us signing him in 98...

haha. idk if i'd say the light ever really went on for testaverde. he was mostly a very average qb who had one good year that happened to be while he was a jet

haha. idk if i'd say the light ever really went on for testaverde. he was mostly a very average qb who had one good year that happened to be while he was a jet

took a few teams to the playoffs and us almost to a Super Bowl, the loss in Denver wasn't his fault

so did sanchez

In 98 when Testaverde came aboard, he ended up being our best option at QB, a must better option than our starter at the time, Glenn fcking Foley, isn't that what its all about, maximizing talent at the most important position on the field?

Just now, Rexorcism said:

In 98 when Testaverde came aboard, he ended up being our best option at QB, a must better option than our starter at the time, Glenn fcking Foley, isn't that what its all about, maximizing talent at the most important position on the field?

thats fine. but to say the light came on for the guy is just not accurate. he had a pretty nice season....but thats really it. that was my only point. i see zero point in bringing in mettenberger at this point. geno is probably going to be cut.....we don't need another crappy qb on the team

thats fine. but to say the light came on for the guy is just not accurate. he had a pretty nice season....but thats really it. that was my only point. i see zero point in bringing in mettenberger at this point. geno is probably going to be cut.....we don't need another crappy qb on the team

The light absolutely came on for Vinny T back then he went from being an INT prone QB to an efficient 29TD 7 INT QB...and as far as Mettenberger goes, do you read the posts you respond to? I already told you, I dont want to bring him in, I was originally responding to Warfish's post criticizing the guys that wanted to try to trade a late round pick for him, at the end of last season. We'll never know how that would have worked out, but at this point we definitely know keeping Geno hasn't worked out.

20 hours ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

Are we secure enough in our QB situation to forget about our old friend Zach?  He is on the verge of getting cut, funny how quickly perceptions change lol.  I wonder how many people on the board would rather go with Petty than him as the backup?  

http://lsu.247sports.com/Article/Zach-Mettenberger-battling-for-roster-spot-with-San-Diego-46865824

When Zach Mettenberger was picked up by San Diego shortly after he was cut by Tennessee, many expected the former LSU signal-caller to compete with Kellen Clemens for the backup spot to Phillip Rivers.

Midway through the preseason, it now looks like Mettenberger is in for the fight of his life to just earn a spot on the practice squad.

After completing just 2-of-8 passes for 22 yards with an interception in his preseason debut, to go with two sacks and a fumble, Mettenberger was looking to redeem himself in Friday’s, 19-3, win against Arizona.

That opportunity, however, never came.

Instead, San Diego went with Mettenberger’s biggest competition – undrafted rookie free agent Mike Bercovici – for an extended time in the second half that kept Mettenberger on the sideline.

“We gave Mike (Bercovici) an opportunity to go in there for a half,” said head coach Mike McCoy. “We said we wanted to give him a good half to see how he could do it and (he) went in there and made some good plays.

“(He) is a young player; a young quarterback that is going to make some mistakes, miss some throws, make some plays (and be) a little bit up and down at times. But there’s nothing like experience…You can’t ever take these reps away from players so that is the great thing about the preseason games for the young players.”

Bercovici responded by completing 9-of-13 throws for 108 yards. That was a better outing than his debut the previous week when he completed 3-of-6 passes for 46 yards with an interception.

Some who cover the Chargers feel that Bercovici has the inside track ahead of Mettenberger for the No. 3 spot.

Mettenberger is expected to get a chance to show what he can do next week against Minnesota in what could be a do-or-die situation for the third-year pro.

Get with the program, It's #9 Petty World now..

54 minutes ago, Rexorcism said:

The light absolutely came on for Vinny T back then he went from being an INT prone QB to an efficient 29TD 7 INT QB...and as far as Mettenberger goes, do you read the posts you respond to? I already told you, I dont want to bring him in, I was originally responding to Warfish's post criticizing the guys that wanted to try to trade a late round pick for him, at the end of last season. We'll never know how that would have worked out, but at this point we definitely know keeping Geno hasn't worked out.

he thewn went back to being an int prone qb (led the league twice in ints actually) and was a below average qb

Archived