Zach Mettenberger.....just sayin'

JOJOTOWNSELL

1 minute ago, Rexorcism said:

Does to me, we weren't going anywhere with Foley back then, have you noticed we haven't been to the playoffs for 5 years?

Vinny won a lot of big games for us.  And he won hem, not like Sanchez who just kind of went for the ride. 

21 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

I missed the year the year he threw 25 plus tds but not to derail the thread, mortensen wasn't that far off. 2nd best qb to come out of that draft

I think the situation a QB comes into molds him for the rest of their career. Sanchez and Geno ruined by Blowhard Rex. 

Clemens semi-ruined by Mangini. If Kellen had gone to a better situation I think he could have easily become a mid-tier starter. 

46 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think the situation a QB comes into molds him for the rest of their career. Sanchez and Geno ruined by Blowhard Rex. 

Clemens semi-ruined by Mangini. If Kellen had gone to a better situation I think he could have easily become a mid-tier starter. 

I dunno about all that but to be employed for 10 years in this league at the toughest position is an accomplishment in itself, sure not what someone aspires to be as a kid but still an accomplishment 

2 hours ago, Rexorcism said:

lYou don't know what any QB will become, just as I don't.

Is this the new "Geno Defense" now that the writing is starting to be on the wall?

"Well, YOU couldn't know who'd be good, just because you're right doesn't mean you knew!"

:rolleyes:

Yes, some players can surprise everyone, the expects included.

No, Mettensh*t is not a surprise, people who wanted him were simply wrong.

No, Geno is not a surprise, people who supported him were simply wrong.

Vinny Testaverde is the perfect example, the light went on for him in his 8th season with a new team.

Going by your comment, you would have laughed off Cleveland signing him that year and probably us signing him in 98...

Vinny T, the Ryan Fitzpatrick of the late 1990's.

@warfish Geno defense, you say? Absolutely not, I would have preferred to get rid of Geno in the off season and would have given Mettenberger or any available young QB prospect a shot instead of Geno...Thats all, I didn't think Geno was going to work here , and it looks like it hasn't.

As far as Vinny goes, my point was alot of people gave up on Vinny but he turned his career around and proved them wrong after Tampa.

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Is this the new "Geno Defense" now that the writing is starting to be on the wall?

"Well, YOU couldn't know who'd be good, just because you're right doesn't mean you knew!"

:rolleyes:

Yes, some players can surprise everyone, the expects included.

No, Mettensh*t is not a surprise, people who wanted him were simply wrong.

No, Geno is not a surprise, people who supported him were simply wrong.

Vinny T, the Ryan Fitzpatrick of the late 1990's.

Testaverde was significantly better than Fitzaverage

1 hour ago, Rexorcism said:

@warfish Geno defense, you say? Absolutely not, I would have preferred to get rid of Geno in the off season and would have given Mettenberger or any available young QB prospect a shot instead of Geno...Thats all, I didn't think Geno was going to work here , and it looks like it hasn't.

And we see now how misguided the "Give Mets a shot" idea really is.  He cannot even win a #3 job.

1 hour ago, Rexorcism said:

As far as Vinny goes, my point was alot of people gave up on Vinny but he turned his career around and proved them wrong after Tampa.

And MY point is that generic general comments about QB's are irrelevant, every QB is an individual, every situation and player different.

Folks who wanted Metz were simply wrong, no worries, happens to the best of us.  If folks still want Metz, well......

Vinny was Vinny.  Metz is Metz.  Vinny working means nothing about Metz.  

Judge each potential QB as individuals.  Not in generic terms to hide wanting a guy who sucks.

And MY point is that generic general comments about QB's are irrelevant, every QB is an individual, every situation and player different.

Folks who wanted Metz were simply wrong, no worries, happens to the best of us.  If folks still want Metz, well......

Judge each potential QB as individuals.  Not in generic terms to hide wanting a guy who sucks.

Wait, wut?

I don't think Geno's or Metz's careers are over just yet, thats all I'll say.

7 hours ago, Rexorcism said:

But Neckdemon is the bonafide QB expert, shouldn't we say he sucked?

i don't remember saying he sucked. i'm not an expert, but the truth is there was no time in vinny's career where the light suddenly came on for him and he became a great qb. he had like 2 good years sprinkled in with mostly mediocre ones. jets fans just have fond nostaligic memories of him because that one year in 1998 is one of th ebest years for a jets qb in their history. which just happens to say more about the mostly sh*tty qb play the jets have had as opposed to how great vinny actually was that year

i don't remember saying he sucked. i'm not an expert, but the truth is there was no time in vinny's career where the light suddenly came on for him and he became a great qb. he had like 2 good years sprinkled in with mostly mediocre ones. jets fans just have fond nostaligic memories of him because that one year in 1998 is one of th ebest years for a jets qb in their history. which just happens to say more about the mostly sh*tty qb play the jets have had as opposed to how great vinny actually was that year

No prob, we just see things differently

I hate to rain on the parades of those patting themselves on the back about such a brilliant insight that a player who got cut earlier this offseason wasn't some sort of savior.  But no one, now or then, was particularly praising Mettenberger.  While it unfortunately does not fit the story-telling some wish to go with, the real reason people were talking about him is because at that time, Geno f'n Smith was the only QB on the Jets' roster who had seen a single snap in the NFL, months had gone by without Fitzpatrick, and the FA market was bare.  Yeah, he sucks, but at that time there was no reason to think any differently of every QB the Jets had.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived