Belichick would cut or trade Geno, go with Bryce, right?

Jetsfanri

22 minutes ago, Jetsfanri said:

Seems like he rarely goes with the "experienced backup" route...even when he knows his QB is out for 4 games...did it with Cassel too.  I think this is what Todd and Mac will do as well  

Guess knowing you're going to get Brady back doesn't change things

The great BB had the future great Brady sitting on the bench for quite a while with a struggling QB. It took a shot from a Jet to get Brady's start. It isn't easy for a coach to bench a known quantity at QB for an unknown. Even when you are as smart as Belicheat and have Brady waiting on the bench. Just saying...

First of all you can't compare the situation. Fitz is an injury-risk who will be with us for two, possibly three years. Brady has been fairly carefully guarded by the Pats offense from injuries and has been a franchise QB for the past fifteen years. 

Second, when you have a franchise QB you can take a risk on the backup and try to find a younger, future franchise QB. We don't so we can't. Bellichick has been awful at drafting QBs, Brady aside, but if he picked up a guy who could be a competitive starter in the league then that draft pick would hang around NE until Bellichick couldn't keep him under contract. 

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

The great BB had the future great Brady sitting on the bench for quite a while with a struggling QB. It took a shot from a Jet to get Brady's start. It isn't easy for a coach to bench a known quantity at QB for an unknown. Even when you are as smart as Belicheat and have Brady waiting on the bench. Just saying...

But he drafted him right? Why didnt the jets draft him? Brady played in his 2nd yr. A.Rodgers had to wait a few seasons before he could actually play one game for the Packers.

1 hour ago, Jetsfanri said:

Seems like he rarely goes with the "experienced backup" route...even when he knows his QB is out for 4 games...did it with Cassel too.  I think this is what Todd and Mac will do as well  

When you have Brady (and multiple Rings)  it is much easier to gamble on a prospect.

OP makes point. Belichick seems unafraid of young QBs and doesn't mind inexperienced backups. Yes, it's easier if you have Brady but he got his chance because an unheralded 2nd year 6th Rounder Belichick named him the back up. Same thing happened with Cassel who turned out serviceable and played his way to relatively nice contract. 

I don't think the point is that Belichick is a genius for playing Brady but that "experienced backups" is an overrated concept.

7 hours ago, jgb said:

And to trade away anyone with promise. Which has worked out very well for Pats.

Its amazing the drop off in "talent" you see from these former patriot players when they cant get away with all the cheating and they no longer have the media to over hype them.

8 hours ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

But he drafted him right? Why didnt the jets draft him? Brady played in his 2nd yr. A.Rodgers had to wait a few seasons before he could actually play one game for the Packers.

I think you are missing my point. The point is, they had Brady, Bledsoe was struggling and they still didn't pull the trigger on Brady until Bledsoe got hurt. The point is that it is hard to pull the trigger on QBs (or their backups).

1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

I think you are missing my point. The point is, they had Brady, Bledsoe was struggling and they still didn't pull the trigger on Brady until Bledsoe got hurt. The point is that it is hard to pull the trigger on QBs (or their backups).

Yeah they will get lucky again forced to play Crapolo with Brady suspended and he will explode and either be heir apparent or get traded at end of season for 4 first round picks. there is no justice in the world.

2 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Who knows but he will put a n a claim for Bryce if jets dumb enough to cut him

Gotta think Petty is safe at this point. He's done too well in pre-season to sneak onto the practice squad now and Jets have likely seen enough to hang onto him. We will see though i was shocked pats cut sudfield who destroyed the pre-season couple years ago. although man it would be SOJ to finally have a franchise guy in their grasp and lose him in such a moronic way.

9 hours ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

Rodgers had to wait because HOF Favre was the starting QB.

35 minutes ago, jgb said:

Gotta think Petty is safe at this point. He's done too well in pre-season to sneak onto the practice squad now and Jets have likely seen enough to hang onto him. We will see though i was shocked pats cut sudfield who destroyed the pre-season couple years ago. although man it would be SOJ to finally have a franchise guy in their grasp and lose him in such a moronic way.

i think the Jets will showcase Geno and cloak and dagger over next week and half in hope of getting something for Genoe

Archived