Bryce+Petty+Beating+Out+Geno

Karam H

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

F that. Sick of this franchise wasting high picks on guys who when you look at simple measurables basically have zero chance of producing in the NFL. There isn't a QB in the history of the league with Havkenbergs college production that ended up amounting to anything. The fact we have to hide him because he's so bad is a direct reflection on the new GM who has still yet to do anything of value here.

You basically just contradicted yourself. Simple measurables are what Hackenberg has. Size arm strength, and arm talent. Production, which he doesn't have, has absolutely nothing to do with measurables. 

Production sets your floor, and measurables set your ceiling. 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NYs Stepchild said:

You basically just contradicted yourself. Simple measurables are what Hackenberg has. Size arm strength, and arm talent. Production, which he doesn't have, has absolutely nothing to do with measurables. 

Production sets your floor, and measurables set your ceiling. 

He cant throw a spiral consistently. He's got all the size in the world, the problem is his hands are tiny. 

I'm not sure why the Smith Fans don't seem to get what is going on.  It was just a few weeks ago that some were thinking/wondering/hoping that the FO was going to turn the team over to Smith instead of Fitz.  Instead of that the FO gave Fitz $12 mil, made him the starter, and precluded Smith from having that role.  Then Smith Fans hoped/expected that Smith's supposed solid play with a red shirt on meant not only that he would be the clear backup, but would "likely" be able to take the field at some point.  The whole four Qb's on the roster scenario has also been explored, and may still happen, but at a cost.  Smith Fans have also supposedly understood the assertion that he likely will not be on the team next year, along with the related situations of Petty and Hackenburg as the future of the team. 

Yet when others here see Smith perform worse than Petty, those who draw the logical conclusion that the time has more than come to move on from Smith are called haters.

I find that hard to understand.

There are a small minority of fans who are desperate to see a QB like Geno succeed, despite his obvious lack of skill and limited mental capacity.

As Geno continues to fail, they cannot accept that it is his fault. They think outside influences must be to blame.

They blame the media, the coaching staff, the GM, the other players on the team and you, the logical, knowledgeable football fan.

Weird, isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After reading the the training camp thread from today it wouldn't seem like Petty was. Smith got 23 reps, Petty 10. Maybe after the dress rehersal game on Saturday against the giants it will change & the competition will really heat up? 

I hope so, Geno was given the opportunity to seize the backup spot & it seems, from the outside anyway, that he played himself out of it & Petty played well enough to put some doubt in the coaches minds.  

6 minutes ago, jfmckenna said:

There are a small minority of fans who are desperate to see a QB like Geno succeed, despite his obvious lack of skill and limited mental capacity.

As Geno continues to fail, they cannot accept that it is his fault. They think outside influences must be to blame.

They blame the media, the coaching staff, the GM, the other players on the team and you, the logical, knowledgeable football fan.

Weird, isn't it?

Geno's Weirdo Fan Club

imagejpeg

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

F that. Sick of this franchise wasting high picks on guys who when you look at simple measurables basically have zero chance of producing in the NFL. There isn't a QB in the history of the league with Havkenbergs college production that ended up amounting to anything. The fact we have to hide him because he's so bad is a direct reflection on the new GM who has still yet to do anything of value here.

Lol, "I haven't seen him play, he must suck". 

And GM who has done nothing.  

57 minutes ago, jfmckenna said:

Weird, isn't it?

Very.  And it's really unlike some past controversies here.  I was not a Sanchez fan, but at least you had to give him credit for being the starter for teams that went deep into the playoffs.  The only thing Smith Fans can point to is two games against the fish in season enders when their players were thinking more about their golf games than anything else.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

We've all seen him play, and he absolutely sucks.

You haven't seen him throw a single pass in the NFL

To say he absolutely sucks is well BS intil he does.  But the segment of "fans" who havent stopped whining from the day he was drafted are a who's who of SOJF who always whine that our players suck.  

3 hours ago, jfmckenna said:

Weird, isn't it?

Just another example of the general devaluation of personal accountability as a virtue in today's society. Why take responsibility when you can blame--without evidence--a nefarious and ill-defined "conspiracy" operating in the shadows to undermine your otherwise assured path to greatness?

10 hours ago, mkajet01 said:

4000 yd passing club & 1000 yd rushing club! If that was the case he would be starter, Fitz wouldn't have been resigned! Lol u must be smoking! Lmfao u have no clue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I played semi-pro baseball for one half a season, so I think I know more than you.

5 hours ago, Pac said:

Cool - we've gotten to my favorite part of these inane threads.  Despite having to sift through hundreds of ridiculous posts, many of which are borderline racist, a couple guys try and take the high road wondering aloud why these pesky Geno lovers just don't get it.

Never mind that they've proven nothing, been right about nothing, and know nothing.  

I trust the coaches and gm to make the call on who the #2 will be.  Hopefully they aren't sensitive to this witch hunt that's been going as of late.  I don't think Bowels is going to give a sh-t if a lot of your panties get in a bunch when he makes the call that's right for the team.

Wow this was quite the condescending post.

12 hours ago, jgb said:

Even if this is true (dubious source) still might be worth hanging onto Geno maybe a team gets desperate with an injury before trade deadline and gives up a 5th rounder for him. also i still trust him more than petty as a backup. Just no substitute for experience once the lights come on.

Hang onto Geno? When every team knows he's gonna be canned because we might get a '5th rder' (doubtful) for him? LMAO.

If you have to cut another promising player, and the Jets have more than a few this year, for the possible chance you get a DP for Geno..that's wrong thinkin'

16 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Hang onto Geno? When every team knows he's gonna be canned because we might get a '5th rder' (doubtful) for him? LMAO.

If you have to cut another promising player, and the Jets have more than a few this year, for the possible chance you get a DP for Geno..that's wrong thinkin'

Guess we will see but $1m for a guy with 31 games started is what we call a cheap insurance policy. If no one ponies up the 5th, we keep him.

This IS a competition for the back up QB. The Jets are smartly shooting this down for the most part as to not create a circus of media idiots blowing sh*t out of proportion and constantly bugging players and coaches.

The Jets do not want to keep 4 QB's, no one does, roster spots are too important . IMO Petty is winning and all he has to do to win is show he can be a competent back up because no matter how you slice it if we have to go to a back up due to a Fitz Injury this season will be lost anyway. I think Geno will be cut unless Petty totally sh*ts the bed forcing the possibility of keeping 4

21 hours ago, JiF said:

That's all fine and good.  And I'm not arguing that Petty hasnt been more impressive.  I just dont think being impressive vs. nobodies means much and it really shouldnt.  I'd be surprised, though not shocked if Petty unseats Geno.

Mac went at this offseason like he's looking to win now caving to Fitz and signing an aging RB in Forte.  He also drafted 2 players in the first 2 rounds not penciled as starters.  To me, that screams that this GM believes last years roster can be better than last year.  That said, typically when a team is operating like they're playoff bound (which is what I would say this team is doing), then you'd want an experienced back up in case your old injury/turnover prone QB gets hurt or flops.  Not a kid who's never taken a single meaningful snap in the NFL but plays well vs. nobodies. 

Just my 2 cents, could be completely wrong and I wouldnt be shocked, just surprised. :)

He may be going against nobodies but he's playing with nobodies as well its all relevant when the competition is basically the same. If you have a starter coming at you or a tomato can if they are applying pressure and you step up into that pressure its all the same. Its not like Petty was throwing to wide open players he threw into some tight coverage and made some damn nice throws Geno playing with the 2's simply didn't produce anything.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

He may be going against nobodies but he's playing with nobodies as well its all relevant when the competition is basically the same. If you have a starter coming at you or a tomato can if they are applying pressure and you step up into that pressure its all the same. Its not like Petty was throwing to wide open players he threw into some tight coverage and made some damn nice throws Geno playing with the 2's simply didn't produce anything.

Ratliff to Clowney part deux.

You were the biggest Ratliff fan around, if I recall. 

2 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

So why don't you tell us how you would go about evaluating players?

Tons of factors go into evaluating a QB.  Character, arm strength, leadership, ability to recognize the defense, making adjustments at the LOS (audibles, checks, protections, etc), what they do in practice, what they see in the film room, grasp of the play book, ability to bounce back from mistakes, making the right reads, working through progressions, accuracy/ball placement, pocket presence...literally a laundry list of evaluation measurements for coaches to review and assess.  

The one that is least valued is how a QB looks in a preseason game vs. players who will not be wearing helmets and pads in 2 weeks.  Unfortunately for the majority of fans, this is the only thing they actually get to see and to often its received by jumping to conclusions.  While Petty looked good throwing the ball; we dont actually know the play design and all the intricacies that coaches care about when it comes to executing the play. 

I'm not trying to be a party pooper.  It's super groovy that Petty looked good in his preseason action.  I hope he's our savior.  Doesnt change that fact his performance is basically meaningless and all those other things I mentioned are weighted much more heavily. 

Just now, JiF said:

Tons of factors go into evaluating a QB.  Character, arm strength, leadership, ability to recognize the defense, making adjustments at the LOS (audibles, checks, protections, etc), what they do in practice, what they see in the film room, grasp of the play book, ability to bounce back from mistakes, making the right reads, working through progressions, accuracy/ball placement, pocket presence...literally a laundry list of evaluation measurements for coaches to review and assess.  

The one that is least valued is how a QB looks in a preseason game vs. players who will not be wearing helmets and pads in 2 weeks.  Unfortunately for the majority of fans, this is the only thing they actually get to see and to often its received by jumping to conclusions.  While Petty looked good throwing the ball; we dont actually know the play design and all the intricacies that coaches care about when it comes to executing the play. 

I'm not trying to be a party pooper.  It's super groovy that Petty looked good in his preseason action.  I hope he's our savior.  Doesnt change that fact his performance is basically meaningless and all those other things I mentioned are weighted much more heavily. 

Where do you evaluate these factors?

This was Geno's time to, in his own words, "audition" to other NFL teams.  Since he clearly won't be getting a chance to sniff the field in a meaningful game, this was his opportunity to make such an "audition", and he failed.

So, yeah, no one should be able to argue this was "meaningless" for Geno.

Meanwhile, there are things Petty is doing that CAN be evaluated.  When he makes crisp throws, it doesn't matter how bad the defender is or who he is throwing to.  A good throw is a good throw.  When he one-hops a receiver, that's another instance that CAN be evaluated.

Archived