Outside Linebacker Situation

Nostradamus

So with Jordan Jenkins sustaining a calf injury today (hopefully it's minor) how does that effect cuts if he isn't ready to go week 1?  If he has to miss any game time does it impact who gets cut?     What will be the final roster for OLBs?  My guess is they keep 5........Mauldin, Jenkins, Catapano, Bishop and Reilly.  Thoughts?  

I questioned the OLB group after Friday's game and I was basically called "chicken little."   I am worried, though.  Mauldin tends to get manhandled in the run game sometimes and who knows about Jenkins.  Catapano is a "hold the fort" guy but don't expect too much from him.

I think Bruce Carter can slide outside as a fill in if injuries are a concern. He's certainly played there in college and in 4-3 versions of the cover 2.

He may not be the fastest player but he's probably more serviceable than other options available.  

Didn't we have Richardson play a chunk of snaps there last season to get he, Mo, Big Cat, & Snacks all on the field at the same time ? ... Guess worst case we could stick him back there a little bit to give the others a breather if we only carry 4 at OLB

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So we replaced Calvin Pace and Demario Davis with stiffs? 

What's the obsession with JAGS just because they have game experience?

Good teams play talent and function. The Seahawks linebacker core was all 1-3rd year guys when they became great. The same goes with certain fans' obsession with "experienced QBs" Seahawks played Wilson over experienced backups, Brady was a backup 1 year after being drafted, Favre was a started from year 2 on usurping a popular starter, Rodgers was chosen over Favre after 0 games played.

17 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Not at all. Davis was outplayed last season with Henderson. He's back and Lee looks solid. Pace was replace with Jenkins. He's looked great and will be fine. 

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Good teams play talent and function. The Seahawks linebacker core was all 1-3rd year guys when they became great. The same goes with certain fans' obsession with "experienced QBs" Seahawks played Wilson over experienced backups, Brady was a backup 1 year after being drafted, Favre was a started from year 2 on usurping a popular starter, Rodgers was chosen over Favre after 0 games played.

I hope you guys are right so far in preseason Mauldin hasnt impressed much and I'm a big fan of this kid Lee needs to be on the field he's a playmaker 

29 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Favre made the Majik Man disappear !

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Catapano hasnt done much here or did i miss something

Well I had a gentleman's bet with Crazy Carl that Catapano would end up starting over Jenkins.   Which will be the case but now CC will prob say it's because of the injury but it will be that way even if it's only a minor injury (which let's hope it is).   The starting 2 will be the same 2 that started last year before Catapano got the lisfranc injury...I predicted before preseason Mauldin at the Will and Catapano at the SAM......Jenkins will see time too im sure but these will be your starters.  As far as the rest I'm not sure really...Martin has looked good at times, Reilly good on special teams, Bishop has looked good at times.  These 3 Mauldin, Cat and Jenkins are Def on the 53....not sure about the other 1 or 2 spots.  Probably Bishop will make 53 too but not sure.

32 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I hope you guys are right so far in preseason Mauldin hasnt impressed much and I'm a big fan of this kid Lee needs to be on the field he's a playmaker 

I agree but I feel Mauldin has the ability to be very good this year.  Especially if they get pressure from the opposite side OLB as well.  I think Mauldin shows up this year

10 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

I hope Mauldin shows something in the next two games. I can't get that whiffed tackle out of my head. THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!

Please..no need to remind me it's preseason ..I KNOW ITS PRESEASON!!! Just let me be miserable..I'm a jets fan!!

See....we need to break this mentality....if we.lose to the Giants in the 1st half we can start being cynical....but not yet.  This is a team who has at least one former or current all pro player at every single position group besides QB and OLB

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

The fvcking Seahawks, the 2nd most REF-FAVORITE team in the NFL. 

To hell with them and their paid-off refs. And furthermore, FVCK their coach Pete Carroll, scumbag prick lowlife jizz eater.

37 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, hard to figure what so many love about him.  Nice story to root for but I'll be shocked if he makes the team. 

catapano might be the most natural pass rusher on the team... he's bigger, more explosive, and more fluid than either Jenkins or mauldin

8 minutes ago, cant wait said:

catapano might be the most natural pass rusher on the team... he's bigger, more explosive, and more fluid than either Jenkins or mauldin

I don't see where he's more explosive or fluid. Hes learning a new position.  He's just not as good as Jenkins or Mauldin.  

Which of the 3 would you guess isn't a sure thing to make the team?  

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Catapano hasnt done much here or did i miss something

Well lets remember that he came from Princeton. It's only his 3rd year? 4th maybe. Caraun Reid from the same class took a couple years to come on in DET, and considering Catapano played DE in college it was going to take some time. I like his upside more than Reilly to be honest. 

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I don't see where he's more explosive or fluid. Hes learning a new position.  He's just not as good as Jenkins or Mauldin.  

We really haven't seen much of Jenkins or catapano so I couldn't give you an honest assessment of who I think the better player is, but I think all 3 make the team since the LB corps needs as much depth as they can get. remember they cut coples mid-season last year in order to promote catapano... lisfranc injuries can really be a killer though, hopefully he is back to 100% and ready to play because there's a lot of opportunity right now for someone to step up and make a case for themselves

19 minutes ago, cant wait said:

We really haven't seen much of Jenkins or catapano so I couldn't give you an honest assessment of who I think the better player is, but I think all 3 make the team since the LB corps needs as much depth as they can get. remember they cut coples mid-season last year in order to promote catapano... lisfranc injuries can really be a killer though, hopefully he is back to 100% and ready to play because there's a lot of opportunity right now for someone to step up and make a case for themselves

I hope you're right, nothing wrong with quality depth.  Odds are against him, coming back from his lisfranc injury and trying to learn a new position.  We'll see.

44 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Well lets remember that he came from Princeton. It's only his 3rd year? 4th maybe. Caraun Reid from the same class took a couple years to come on in DET, and considering Catapano played DE in college it was going to take some time. I like his upside more than Reilly to be honest. 

Catapano played mostly DE last season too, out of all the jets OLBs he has the size to also line up in 4 man fronts pushing Wilk and leo inside. you saw that a lot with pace last year too

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Of course Mauldin and Jenkins make the team...they are both 3rd Rd picks from the current administration the last 2 years.  But I agree with what Can't Wait says...Catapano is the best natural pass rusher of the group.  His natural position is as an edge rusher, so he is now where he is supposed to be.  They used him as an interior lineman in Kansas City which was stupid.  I watched every play of him and Jenkins from the last game vs Redskins and there was a big difference Between The Two guys.  Catapano gets way better penetration and looks stronger at point of attack against the run at 270 lbs than Jenkins does and on pass plays he beats his blocker faster and more often.  Jenkins seems to gets handled fairly easily but he will improve.  I think he can develop into a good linebacker in time but I say Catapano is def the better player of the two at the moment.  The couple of practices I've been to back up what I saw in the game.  When u watch them do pass rushing drills Catapano's skill is painfully obvious.  Granted they were only going against the TE's but he was basically unblockable.  Catapano looked better than Mauldin and Mauldin looked better than Jenkins in Pass Rushing 1 On 1s.  Bishop has some rushing skills too.  Will be an interesting group to watch.   I think they can end up being sneaky good for a bunch of unproven no names.   Probably is the most underrated position group on the team.   All pros everywhere else on the team...if 1 or 2 of the OLBs step up and impress this defense can be elite.  

3 hours ago, Nostradamus said:

Of course Mauldin and Jenkins make the team...they are both 3rd Rd picks from the current administration the last 2 years.  But I agree with what Can't Wait says...Catapano is the best natural pass rusher of the group.  His natural position is as an edge rusher, so he is now where he is supposed to be.  They used him as an interior lineman in Kansas City which was stupid.  I watched every play of him and Jenkins from the last game vs Redskins and there was a big difference Between The Two guys.  Catapano gets way better penetration and looks stronger at point of attack against the run at 270 lbs than Jenkins does and on pass plays he beats his blocker faster and more often.  Jenkins seems to gets handled fairly easily but he will improve.  I think he can develop into a good linebacker in time but I say Catapano is def the better player of the two at the moment.  The couple of practices I've been to back up what I saw in the game.  When u watch them do pass rushing drills Catapano's skill is painfully obvious.  Granted they were only going against the TE's but he was basically unblockable.  Catapano looked better than Mauldin and Mauldin looked better than Jenkins in Pass Rushing 1 On 1s.  Bishop has some rushing skills too.  Will be an interesting group to watch.   I think they can end up being sneaky good for a bunch of unproven no names.   Probably is the most underrated position group on the team.   All pros everywhere else on the team...if 1 or 2 of the OLBs step up and impress this defense can be elite.  

Great players make average hustlers that much better. Why do you see Super Bowl winning teams have players who get OVERPAID in free agency. I remember the CB from Dallas who got 2 picks signed to a big contract & bust. How about Maxwell from the Seahawks? Ridiculous contract & then I believe traded to Miami?

Mauldin, Bishop, Catapano, Jenkins, Reilly, are all 110% hustle guys that should be thanking the good lord that they're lining up beside guys like Mo, Leo & Sheldon Richardson! They are defensive stars that have got to be accounted for & make these guys lives much easier. If you can't stand out, beat your guy, and generally be a pita while playing with those 3 up front you'll be out of the league before you know it. It's not like playing with the Titans Dline last year or some other slap d*ck Dline in this league.

These guys have a tremendous opportunity to be an important cog in the wheel. It doesn't get much better really.

Reilly might have a leg up on making the team based on his outstanding special teams play.  Bishop might have the highest upside but needs more time to learn the system and get up to NFL speed and reaction time, Catapano is just a damn hard nosed football player

17 hours ago, ljr said:

Didn't we have Richardson play a chunk of snaps there last season to get he, Mo, Big Cat, & Snacks all on the field at the same time ? ... Guess worst case we could stick him back there a little bit to give the others a breather if we only carry 4 at OLB

Sheldon will get torched in coverage

We could maybe have Pryor play a hybrid olb/SS role.  Worked well for Mark Barron

20 hours ago, Nostradamus said:

So with Jordan Jenkins sustaining a calf injury today (hopefully it's minor) how does that effect cuts if he isn't ready to go week 1?  If he has to miss any game time does it impact who gets cut?     What will be the final roster for OLBs?  My guess is they keep 5........Mauldin, Jenkins, Catapano, Bishop and Reilly.  Thoughts?  

I think you hit the nail on the head in terms of who makes the team.  I'm still kind of shocked they didnt sign one vet to play OLB and wonder if that's still an option?  They're relying heavily on some young, inexperienced players.  I dont think anyone wants to see Calvin Pace back on the field...but one vet you know you can trust seems to make a ton of sense to me.  And I'm high on Maudlin and Jenkins.

4 hours ago, Nostradamus said:

Jenkins was never known for his ability to rush the passer.  He's a do a little bit of everything guy.  A lot of the stuff that doesnt show up on the stat sheet.  I think if the fanbase is expecting to see him develop into a pass rusher, they'll be disappointed.  He's more an edge setter, play the run guy, take on blockers types of guy.

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Jenkins was never known for his ability to rush the passer.  He's a do a little bit of everything guy.  A lot of the stuff that doesnt show up on the stat sheet.  I think if the fanbase is expecting to see him develop into a pass rusher, they'll be disappointed.  He's more an edge setter, play the run guy, take on blockers types of guy.

He kinda hangs out on the line of scrimmage, very little penetration into the backfield and seems to get handled easily on running plays for the most part.  He made a couple good plays and flashed a bit and I think he will be a good NFL linebacker in time but may need a bit of an adjustment period.  Lets see.

9 hours ago, Nostradamus said:

I didn't say anything about pass rushing.  I said Jenkins and Mauldin are better players.  Being a more natural pass rusher is just that, doesn't make him the better player.  Catapano I is not a better LB than either of them.  He's learning s position and they're playing their positions.  

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I didn't say anything about pass rushing.  I said Jenkins and Mauldin are better players.  Being a more natural pass rusher is just that, doesn't make him the better player.  Catapano I is not a better LB than either of them.  He's learning s position and they're playing their positions.  

So if that is the case then Mauldin and Jenkins should get the starting positions right?

Archived