Outside Linebacker Situation

Nostradamus

On 8/22/2016 at 7:44 PM, ljr said:

Didn't we have Richardson play a chunk of snaps there last season to get he, Mo, Big Cat, & Snacks all on the field at the same time ? ... Guess worst case we could stick him back there a little bit to give the others a breather if we only carry 4 at OLB

They also said in camp that they would not be trying that again this year. Sheldon said "Whew!!".

I'm worried about the inexperience of our OLB's. I wanted to be able to work a young guy in while still having some vet presence in case they struggled. Now we have a rookie starting and a second year player starting opposite him who was a situational pass rusher the year before. I think both are talented but I'm just worried about growing pains.

38 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'm worried about the inexperience of our OLB's. I wanted to be able to work a young guy in while still having some vet presence in case they struggled. Now we have a rookie starting and a second year player starting opposite him who was a situational pass rusher the year before. I think both are talented but I'm just worried about growing pains.

Well, last year the guys had slowing pains ;)

2 hours ago, Nostradamus said:

So if that is the case then Mauldin and Jenkins should get the starting positions right?

Why is that?  Doesn't make sense.  Your case should be that Catapano makes the roster first.  That's not a given. And if you want the above to be relevant he has to start over both.  For performance, not due to an injury. Hes a nice story if he successfully makes the position switch and gets a spot on the final 53.  I hope so would be great for the team.  As someone said they're all 110% players. 

On 8/22/2016 at 5:21 PM, Sarge4Tide said:

Gonna be hard to keep 5 OLBs, I think.  Maybe we keep 2 out of 3 of Catapano, Bishop, and Reilly 

I think if it is close, Reilly could be the odd man out.  Does Bishop or Catapano play special teams?  They have both seemed more impactful on defense to me.  I know Reilly also plays specials so that is really his best chance to stick.  I could see him on the PS. 

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Why is that?  Doesn't make sense.  Your case should be that Catapano makes the roster first.  That's not a given. And if you want the above to be relevant he has to start over both.  For performance, not due to an injury. Hes a nice story if he successfully makes the position switch and gets a spot on the final 53.  I hope so would be great for the team.  As someone said they're all 110% players. 

I'm not sure where you are going with this.   You think Mauldin and Jenkins are the best OLBs on the team right?   So if so then they should end up being the starters.  How does that not make sense?   

10 minutes ago, Nostradamus said:

I'm not sure where you are going with this.   You think Mauldin and Jenkins are the best OLBs on the team right?   So if so then they should end up being the starters.  How does that not make sense?   

Who said they should be starters?  I said they're better players.  Stop already.  Pretty simple, not going anywhere, you seem to be trying to go somewhere with this bringing in starters.  You don't have to be a starter to be better.  Catapano never was a starter so what's your point? 

So no, it doesn't make sense given I never said they were the two best LBs on the team.  This is your show. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Who said they should be starters?  I said they're better players.  Stop already.  Pretty simple, not going anywhere, you seem to be trying to go somewhere with this bringing in starters.  You don't have to be a starter to be better.  Catapano never was a starter so what's your point? 

So no, it doesn't make sense given I never said they were the two best LBs on the team.  This is your show. 

So who are the two best is my question?   Who starts?  and who makes the 53 in your opinion?   Its just a discussion.  BTW I also think Bishop has some ability.  Martin as well

19 minutes ago, Nostradamus said:

So who are the two best is my question?   Who starts?  and who makes the 53 in your opinion?   Its just a discussion.  BTW I also think Bishop has some ability.  Martin as well

Cap'n ... We are prepared for the "Bob" & the "Weave" !

We should get a good look at Catapano, Reilly, Bishop and Martin Saturday now since Bowles just said in his press conference today that Jenkins is injured.   Who ends up starting Saturday? 

Todd Bowles said he wants to get a look at Catapano, Reilly, Bishop and Martin at OLB. Jenkins could miss action SAT vs. NYG.

6 hours ago, Nostradamus said:

I like both of them too.  Jenkins injury leaves things up in the air possibly but I think he starts, they really seem to like him.  Not sure if Mauldin is consistent enough to start or if he ever will.  It's entirely possible that they're still looking and the second starter isn't definite yet.

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I like both of them too.  Jenkins injury leaves things up in the air possibly but I think he starts, they really seem to like him.  Not sure if Mauldin is consistent enough to start or if he ever will.  It's entirely possible that they're still looking and the second starter isn't definite yet.

Saw this on rotoworld last night...       Aug. 24 - 6:41 pm et

Jets third-round OLB Jordan Jenkins is dealing with a calf injury.

Coach Todd Bowles said he's "day to day" or "week to week," which suggests uncertainty. If it's week to week, Jenkins could be in danger of missing Week 1 against the Bengals. Jenkins has been competing with Mike Catapano for the starting job at strong side linebacker. Aug. 24 - 6:41 pm et 

Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter

...so I assume it will be Mauldin and Catapano to start Saturday.  Last year in the 2 games they played together (Miami and Giants) before Catapano got injured they looked great together.  Hopefully you are wrong about Mauldin and he has a good game on Saturday.  He is inconsistent but I'm rooting for him.  I think Mauldin has the talent.  But it seems this position is up in the air.  I'm sure we will see a lot of Bishop, Martin and Reilly as well.  Will be interesting to see if any separate themselves from the pack vs Giants.

I like Catapano. I don't know if he is starter material, but I hope for the best. I am also worried about Mauldin transitioning over to a 3 down player. I think Jenkins is gonna be great for us for a long time, but there will be obvious rookie growing pains this year. Teams will attack our outside linebackers as they have in the past, but hopefully be midseason this unit will be a strength.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 0:31 PM, Sarge4Tide said:

Reilly might have a leg up on making the team based on his outstanding special teams play.  Bishop might have the highest upside but needs more time to learn the system and get up to NFL speed and reaction time, Catapano is just a damn hard nosed football player

Beat me to it about Reilly.  He was one of the few bright spots in last year's putrid mess of the special teams.  Don't know if that's going to be enough to earn him a spot given the competition, though.

Also want to note this question about how many OLB's to keep is part of the issue with keeping 4 Qb's.

12 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Beat me to it about Reilly.  He was one of the few bright spots in last year's putrid mess of the special teams.  Don't know if that's going to be enough to earn him a spot given the competition, though.

Also want to note this question about how many OLB's to keep is part of the issue with keeping 4 Qb's.

Well that didn't take too long for you to make this conversation about the backup QB didn't it :lol:

On 8/24/2016 at 9:12 AM, ScarletKnight89 said:

Yep.  This is where I'm at.  I would have liked to see a vet to show them the ropes and bring some consistency to the position.  Even worse, what happens if Maudlin or Jenkins goes down with an injury?  Then they are really ****ed putting inexperienced less talented players on the field.

I expect we see Sheldon in that role a lot again this year.  Especially with the depth on the DL adding Jenkins and McClendon with Simon stepping up a bit lately.

2 hours ago, Nostradamus said:

Saw this on rotoworld last night...       Aug. 24 - 6:41 pm et

Jets third-round OLB Jordan Jenkins is dealing with a calf injury.

Coach Todd Bowles said he's "day to day" or "week to week," which suggests uncertainty. If it's week to week, Jenkins could be in danger of missing Week 1 against the Bengals. Jenkins has been competing with Mike Catapano for the starting job at strong side linebacker. Aug. 24 - 6:41 pm et 

Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter

...so I assume it will be Mauldin and Catapano to start Saturday.  Last year in the 2 games they played together (Miami and Giants) before Catapano got injured they looked great together.  Hopefully you are wrong about Mauldin and he has a good game on Saturday.  He is inconsistent but I'm rooting for him.  I think Mauldin has the talent.  But it seems this position is up in the air.  I'm sure we will see a lot of Bishop, Martin and Reilly as well.  Will be interesting to see if any separate themselves from the pack vs Giants.

I agree with this.  As I said, if healthy I think Jenkins and Mauldin are our starters.  They'll be pains though with a rookie and 2nd year player but think they'll have big moments too, the talent is there.  Don't get me wrong, I like Catapano, just think his overall skills are a notch below the others.  Love the way all 3 go all out, all the time though.  Will be fun to watch them get after it

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I agree with this.  As I said, if healthy I think Jenkins and Mauldin are our starters.  They'll be pains though with a rookie and 2nd year player but think they'll have big moments too, the talent is there.  Don't get me wrong, I like Catapano, just think his overall skills are a notch below the others.  Love the way all 3 go all out, all the time though.  Will be fun to watch them get after it

It is possible Catapano may start the season certainly.  But I agree it is likely that even if so that Jenkins will replace him later.

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

It is possible Catapano may start the season certainly.  But I agree it is likely that even if so that Jenkins will replace him later.

Agreed.  I think Jenkins can be really good with time.  I like Catapano and what he brings but not as starter over a Jenkins or Mauldin

Archived