Cromartie is a Colt

CrazyCarl40

Damn

Colts signed CB Antonio Cromartie to a one-year contract.

Cromartie, 32, worked out for the Colts on Monday and landed the deal. With Vontae Davis week-to-week with an ankle injury, the Colts needed a capable starter opposite Patrick Robinson. It allows Darius Butler to stay in the slot, while he's also been working at safety. Cromartie had a rough 2015 season with the Jets, grading out as Pro Football Focus' No. 97 cover corner. The Jets released him back in February, and his Colts workout was Cromartie's first since then.

Between the hip injury and lack of toughness he just was never going to be an option here.  Once his athleticism and speed goes he'll be among the worst starting/veteran CB's in the game, because he relies so heavily on those traits.  I hope he plays well in Indy but I prefer giving our young guys a shot, and not forcing ourselves to devote a roster spot to a guy like Cro. 

5 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

One of my favorite Jet players. Not among the best, though he had some really good seasons, but he truly loved being a Jet. And he called Brady an a$$hole in an interview. How can you not love that?

That WAS cool, he just lost a few steps along the way.

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Between the hip injury and lack of toughness he just was never going to be an option here.  Once his athleticism and speed goes he'll be among the worst starting/veteran CB's in the game, because he relies so heavily on those traits.  I hope he plays well in Indy but I prefer giving our young guys a shot, and not forcing ourselves to devote a roster spot to a guy like Cro. 

I'm of the mind that our CB situation is going to sour in the regular season very quickly. I hope it doesn't but it's not a group that inspires confidence. 

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Once he got fully healthy at the end of last season, he was fine. I have more confidence in a past his prime Cromartie than I do anyone outside of Revis on the current roster. 

The CB situation league-wide is rough.  I'd rather throw our young guys into the fire and see who comes out of that mix.  Then we can truly evaluate how much more help we need at the position.  Eventually Revis will be gone so we'll need to be investing a high pick again unless a few of the young guys play well.  Wouldn't really have gotten the chance  to see whether or not that's the case if Revis and Cro teamed up one last time. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

The CB situation league-wide is rough.  I'd rather throw our young guys into the fire and see who comes out of that mix.  Then we can truly evaluate how much more help we need at the position.  Eventually Revis will be gone so we'll need to be investing a high pick again unless a few of the young guys play well.  Wouldn't really have gotten the chance  to see whether or not that's the case if Revis and Cro teamed up one last time. 

Next year I hope we use 7 picks on OL and CB

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Which young guys you talking about? McDougle can't stay healthy. Milliner can't either and he's gone next year. That leaves Burris, who was just drafted this season. I think he could be a solid contributor this year and he might have to be. 

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Which young guys you talking about? McDougle can't stay healthy. Milliner can't either and he's gone next year. That leaves Burris, who was just drafted this season. I think he could be a solid contributor this year and he might have to be. 

Not ready to write off Milliner, Dexter, or even Marcus Williams just because you say so.  I get that none of them are as great as Darrin Walls but I still think there's talent at the position we need to see in action this year.

Me too.  That would mean that Petty/Hackenberg are the real deal.

Naw Fitzpatrick extended after SB victory, Petty traded for a 1st rounder that we use on a dominant Left Tackle.

Not ready to write off Milliner, Dexter, or even Marcus Williams just because you say so.  I get that none of them are as great as Darrin Walls but I still think there's talent at the position we need to see in action this year.

I'm not ready to write off anyone. They're all writing their own endings. McDougle is on the bubble right now. He's missed most of training camp. Milliner got banged up last game and the game before that he was roasted. Williams is still a huge question mark. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but that #2 spot was wide open and it hasn't been taken yet. That's disconcerting to say the least. 

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I'm not ready to write off anyone. They're all writing their own endings. McDougle is on the bubble right now. He's missed most of training camp. Milliner got banged up last game and the game before that he was roasted. Williams is still a huge question mark. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but that #2 spot was wide open and it hasn't been taken yet. That's disconcerting to say the least. 

It is, but if no one emerges, at least it'll be a signal to Macc that we need to further address the position in the offseason.  A band-aid option like Cro would have made little sense. 

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All CBs do.  Revis was on Fatcessa's show today and said that once a CB's speed goes, that's it.  

For a team with a Head Coach who salivates over CBs and can never have enough of them, the Jets sure do seem to be skating on thin ice.  Revis is aging, Skrine is a #2 at best and better suited for the slot.  After that it's a complete crap shoot. The Jets are really deficient at CB and with our other concerns at TE, on the OLine, etc. I'm not sure enough fans really see that we're flirting with disaster at the CB position. 

I'm in the minority, but I thought cro had one, maybe two, good years here. I thought he was a liability the rest of the time and we had no other options at the position. I thought he got picked on a lot and I never trusted him. I felt like he was always lazy in his coverage and he THOUGHT could bait  QBs w lazy coverage and use closing speed to make something happen like when he was younger, but never could. Then he thought he could jump routes and always seemed to get burned w double moves.

Again, I guess I'm the minority. But, like an earlier poster said, he DID seem to genuinely be proud to be a JET and called tom Brady an a**hole .That's enough to like the guy.

Archived