Cromartie is a Colt

CrazyCarl40

7 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

All CBs do.  Revis was on Fatcessa's show today and said that once a CB's speed goes, that's it.  

Cro more than most.  Since he refuses to play physical (for instance; he has ridiculously long arms but NEVER plays press coverage) he is overly reliant on athletic ability.  Revis has lost a step but is still highly effective because he does so many things to make up for any physical shortcomings, and has been doing so his entire career.

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

For a team with a Head Coach who salivates over CBs and can never have enough of them, the Jets sure do seem to be skating on thin ice.  Revis is aging, Skrine is a #2 at best and better suited for the slot.  After that it's a complete crap shoot. The Jets are really deficient at CB and with our other concerns at TE, on the OLine, etc. I'm not sure enough fans really see that we're flirting with disaster at the CB position. 

We are, but Cro wasn't going to be an effective fix. 

11 hours ago, pointman said:

I liked having Cro here. Watching him fly with the ball on returns and INTs was always fun. Good luck with everything Cro!

/agree

He seemed to want to play for us.  Guys is as dumb as a bunch of rocks but he is a stud, no doubt.

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

For a team with a Head Coach who salivates over CBs and can never have enough of them, the Jets sure do seem to be skating on thin ice.  Revis is aging, Skrine is a #2 at best and better suited for the slot.  After that it's a complete crap shoot. The Jets are really deficient at CB and with our other concerns at TE, on the OLine, etc. I'm not sure enough fans really see that we're flirting with disaster at the CB position. 

First of all, while in general I don't care much about former players, I do congratulate Cro on landing somewhere else.  I do that because he genuinely seemed to enjoy being a Jet.  He had a lot of great insights when interviewed, too, and seemed like a good guy to have a beer with.

But as for your post, this is the way I see it, too.  There are other problems on the team to be sure, like Amaro not showing up in the games so far, and OL.  I think OL is more likely to work out than the cb rotation, though, unless someone really surprises and steps up.  Skrine clearly is better suited to the nickel.  He will likely play there often in any case.  But the fear is the #2 cb will be targeted frequently.  It's what I would do to attack this D. 

Sounds like McDougle, who has had health issues all along, will not make the 53 roster.  Assuming he stays healthy Milliner will even if he's not playing well, given his contract and draft status.  At this point I think we have to hope he stays healthy and gets better in games because M Williams is not showing it, as I feared he wouldn't.  Those 6 ints' were misleading as they didn';t come with him playing man outside coverage.

Will the Jets have to modify their pass defense schemes to cover for M Williams's weaknesses?  Let's hope they don't have to go there.  Maybe Burris or one of the other bench players steps up.  But I assume there's a reason they are all still deeper on the depth chart.

The way the game is played now, the 3rd corner is a critical piece, and Skrine is not such a great player in the first place.  the CB rotation is a real issue at this point.

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

First of all, while in general I don't care much about former players, I do congratulate Cro on landing somewhere else.  I do that because he genuinely seemed to enjoy being a Jet.  He had a lot of great insights when interviewed, too, and seemed like a good guy to have a beer with.

But as for your post, this is the way I see it, too.  There are other problems on the team to be sure, like Amaro not showing up in the games so far, and OL.  I think OL is more likely to work out than the cb rotation, though, unless someone really surprises and steps up.  Skrine clearly is better suited to the nickel.  He will likely play there often in any case.  But the fear is the #2 cb will be targeted frequently.  It's what I would do to attack this D. 

Sounds like McDougle, who has had health issues all along, will not make the 53 roster.  Assuming he stays healthy Milliner will even if he's not playing well, given his contract and draft status.  At this point I think we have to hope he stays healthy and gets better in games because M Williams is not showing it, as I feared he wouldn't.  Those 6 ints' were misleading as they didn';t come with him playing man outside coverage.

Will the Jets have to modify their pass defense schemes to cover for M Williams's weaknesses?  Let's hope they don't have to go there.  Maybe Burris or one of the other bench players steps up.  But I assume there's a reason they are all still deeper on the depth chart.

The way the game is played now, the 3rd corner is a critical piece, and Skrine is not such a great player in the first place.  the CB rotation is a real issue at this point.

Good post.  It's amazing but what you alluded to does seem to be a fact that's hard to believe -- the OLine on this team (which many of us are worried about) is probably in better shape than the Cornerbacks as an overall unit.  I also agree that McDougle probably won't, and shouldn't, be on the 53.  But with the Practice Squad rules these days that allow up to 4 of your 10 PS players to be guys who already have up to 2 years of NFL service, that could be where he lands if the Jets still have a little patience for him.  Milliner is going to make the 53.  I think we're looking at Revis, Skrine, M. Williams, Milliner, and J. Burris for the roster.....just my guess.

57 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Good post.  It's amazing but what you alluded to does seem to be a fact that's hard to believe -- the OLine on this team (which many of us are worried about) is probably in better shape than the Cornerbacks as an overall unit.  I also agree that McDougle probably won't, and shouldn't, be on the 53.  But with the Practice Squad rules these days that allow up to 4 of your 10 PS players to be guys who already have up to 2 years of NFL service, that could be where he lands if the Jets still have a little patience for him.  Milliner is going to make the 53.  I think we're looking at Revis, Skrine, M. Williams, Milliner, and J. Burris for the roster.....just my guess.

Briefly, I think the OL has depth issues, and whether Winters and Breno will play well enough.  But most of their problems right now are chemistry issues that will improve, especiallyl with Mangold still leading that unit.  He of course did not play in the Washington game.

But the CB rotation?  Yikes it scares me.  At this point despite sucking against Jville and getting hurt again, Milliner is my bet to be more likely to step up than M Wiliams, but that's just a hunch.  Well, that and that I don't have faith in M Williams.

Maybe the Jets will have to use the safeties more than rely on a standard cb nickel rotation.

Archived