Is Darrelle Revis still dominant?

JetNation

It's all relative. 

Compared to Patrick Peterson, Marcus Peters, Desmond Trufant, & Richard Sherman, NO Revis is not Dominant and no longer ELITE in his defending like before (ideally his BEST years of 2008-2011).

Compared to the current starting DBs of the Panthers, Bears, Titans, and Cowboys, Revis is STILL Dominant and an immediate &  significant upgrade to any of those secondaries if he were added to those teams; kinda like what he did in re-joining the Jets and dramatically improving the secondary in 2015. 

He'll be dominant in that he'll still force QBs / OCs to throw the other way.  Now, part of the reason they may do that is because they'll see Skrine or Williams or Milliner over there and that's like an invitation to go to the WR2, but Revis still poses enough of a threat that he won't be targeted too much this year I think.  The real test IMO will be against Buffalo and Sammy Watkins.  Revis was abused by him last year.

It depends on how you look at it.  Sherman is elite but they play more zone type coverage's.  He still makes the plays but he isn't left one one as often asked of Revis.  I think Darelle is still one of the best guys out there because he isn't just a purely gifted athlete.  He is a smart player that will adapt to whatever step he has lost.  He is still one of the best CB's in the league but he will give up more catches because teams will challenge him more.  So giving up more catches/td's is not something we are not used to. 

Like already said in this thread, it depends on the context. 2009 Revis was one of the best years by any player ever in the history of the NFL, he will never be that again, but probably no one else will ever do that either. In terms of completion percentage sure he did great with that but he still had a down year. I suspect him to have a better year due to him being healthy but he's on the downward track now at his age. He's still elite just might not be top 3 or 4 anymore. 

I can't believe this narrative is still happening.  The reason he's great is because he's physical as all hell and incredibly smart.  He couldn't be as physical last year...he can this year and, barring an avalanche of concussions, he's still a really smart player.  There is no reason to believe he won't return to dominance.  It's not like he's 40, he's 31!  

5 minutes ago, smaxor5 said:

I can't believe this narrative is still happening.  The reason he's great is because he's physical as all hell and incredibly smart.  He couldn't be as physical last year...he can this year and, barring an avalanche of concussions, he's still a really smart player.  There is no reason to believe he won't return to dominance.  It's not like he's 40, he's 31!  

Half the reason he's still "elite" is psychological, not skill.

Hype a guy, hype a guy, hype a guy for years.....mostly rightfully so......and QB's become gun shy going in that player's direction.

Especially when they have far FAR easier DB's to target, Skrine's, Milliner's, Cromartie's, etc.

Sure, they'll test in the "Elite" DB's direction, just to see, but one close call, one deflection, and the gun shy is set for that game.

It's why so many "elite" DB's are called elite long after their actual elite-skill-level-elite-physical-level era is over.

Darell Revis is a good DB.  He is not elite.  He is not Dominant.  He is not worth close to what we're paying him.

But his rep lives on, larger than life, and the hypetrain keeps on rolling, and his compatriots are all mostly average at best, so QB's won't test Revis as much as they should to show he isn't elite (a la what Buffalo did to him last year in the final week, before all his "injury" excuses started coming out after the fact).

I know age catches up with some, but please don't forget Revis' demeanor when it comes to being a competitor. I believe Revis is very angry about his performance last year AND the perception some people  have about his performance.

He will take things personal, IMO. I believe we will see him be at his best this year and he will quietly remind people that he's just doing his job. I believe will will see a man on a mission.

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

He'll be dominant in that he'll still force QBs / OCs to throw the other way.  Now, part of the reason they may do that is because they'll see Skrine or Williams or Milliner over there and that's like an invitation to go to the WR2, but Revis still poses enough of a threat that he won't be targeted too much this year I think.  The real test IMO will be against Buffalo and Sammy Watkins.  Revis was abused by him last year.

This

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

That would be Bowles, because Revis owned his ass in the first game. Watkins only got a number on Revis cuz he was basically playing prevent D against SW.

13 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

It's all relative. 

Compared to Patrick Peterson, Marcus Peters, Desmond Trufant, & Richard Sherman, NO Revis is not Dominant and no longer ELITE in his defending like before (ideally his BEST years of 2008-2011).

Compared to the current starting DBs of the Panthers, Bears, Titans, and Cowboys, Revis is STILL Dominant and an immediate &  significant upgrade to any of those secondaries if he were added to those teams; kinda like what he did in re-joining the Jets and dramatically improving the secondary in 2015. 

Well, he kind of had the lowest completion % last year with a bunch of takeovers n stuff but yeah, he's not better than some of those above average players you mentioned. Hey, at least you didn't include Josh Norman in there. 

DeAndre Hopkins changed the entire  football world's perspective of Darelle Revis's standing.  He went over the hill that day. 

I went back and re-watched every pass Hopkins caught.   Revis had excellent coverage on almost all of them.   Hopkins simply made some plays.  

The NFL will probablynever see a cornerback as dominant as he was in 2009. He was Michael Jordan perfect. But I'm still rolling with this guy. He is a top-five cornerback in 2016 IMO,

19 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

In the game they played zone, in a game he was injured.

Not in game one, Watkins abused no one on Thursday night. 

18 hours ago, Warfish said:

Half the reason he's still "elite" is psychological, not skill.

Hype a guy, hype a guy, hype a guy for years.....mostly rightfully so......and QB's become gun shy going in that player's direction.

Especially when they have far FAR easier DB's to target, Skrine's, Milliner's, Cromartie's, etc.

Sure, they'll test in the "Elite" DB's direction, just to see, but one close call, one deflection, and the gun shy is set for that game.

It's why so many "elite" DB's are called elite long after their actual elite-skill-level-elite-physical-level era is over.

Darell Revis is a good DB.  He is not elite.  He is not Dominant.  He is not worth close to what we're paying him.

But his rep lives on, larger than life, and the hypetrain keeps on rolling, and his compatriots are all mostly average at best, so QB's won't test Revis as much as they should to show he isn't elite (a la what Buffalo did to him last year in the final week, before all his "injury" excuses started coming out after the fact).

So HCs all across the league have to clue what Revis can and can't do.  Belicheck etc are clueless to how far he's faded.  They're psychologically afraid and are fooled by Revis.  The lowest completion percentage against is just a coincidence.  

5 hours ago, David Harris said:

DeAndre Hopkins changed the entire  football world's perspective of Darelle Revis's standing.  He went over the hill that day. 

I went back and re-watched every pass Hopkins caught.   Revis had excellent coverage on almost all of them.   Hopkins simply made some plays.  

The NFL will probablynever see a cornerback as dominant as he was in 2009. He was Michael Jordan perfect. But I'm still rolling with this guy. He is a top-five cornerback in 2016 IMO,

To be fair, Revis gave up like 4 catches for 50+ yards to him. He had two long plays that weren't on Revis. One was a push off. 

Archived