Leonard Williams is the new Klecko?

JOJOTOWNSELL

20 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The only issue I had/have with the Williams pick was there seems to be players like him every draft. He's not an exceptional athlete for his size- and this move to NT worries me about his pass rushing ability. 

there are good players in every draft...we got the player who most experts projected as the top talent in the draft with the 6th pick. He wasn't the player most of us wanted but most of us didn't think there was any way he would fall to us, my jaw literally dropped when the redskins passed on him. he may not end up being the best player out of the draft but he was certainly the safest pick and so far he has looked pretty decent.

19 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Jmo I think if they move Leonard Williams to the nose on obvious passing downs it can be very effective.( jets get three best defense lineman on the field at once).  If they plan to play Leonard Williams fulltime at Nt , he's going to get eating up by the massive interior offenseline double team. ( jets are going to have trouble stopping the run).        

Also Leonard Williams has had shoulder injuries , wasn't able to lift at the combine.   Do the Jets risk him getting injured playing the nose tackle position.     Hey the Jet coaches know more than we do, but It's going to be interesting how effective he is.  How much he's going to play there.

I agree, I don't think they'll have him at nose on running downs, but on passing downs he's going to be tremendous trouble for OCs. 

McLendon, or Simon will be in there to stand up double teams. 

20 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The only issue I had/have with the Williams pick was there seems to be players like him every draft. He's not an exceptional athlete for his size- and this move to NT worries me about his pass rushing ability. 

Last time there was a player like him was JJ Watt. Before that maybe Reggie White.

I'm not saying he's going to become them but you cannot name me another player that has his natural size speed, agility, and strength. 

Sheldon is a freak, and he can only dream of having Leo's natural ability. 

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Last time there was a player like him was JJ Watt. Before that maybe Reggie White.

I'm not saying he's going to become them but you cannot name me another player that has his natural size speed, agility, and strength. 

Sheldon is a freak, and he can only dream of having Leo's natural ability. 

Aaron Donald for reference-

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/leonard-williams?id=2552486

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=106898&draftyear=2014&genpos=DT

23 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I wouldn't sweat him as a pass rusher. Guys who put up a lot of QB hits but not a lot of sacks (like Williams did last year) tend to see their sack number leap the following season. If you're worried about the pass rush, I'd be looking at the OLBs.

7 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Fowler in time could be one very best pass rushers in the league. A perennial 10 plus sack guy.     I don't how you can honestly make that statement  that Leonard Williams upside is better.   Both players should be very good players for their teams for years to come( stay healthy) .

Let me ask you a question ? How many sacks are you expecting from Leonard Williams this year.    

Do you judge a player solely by Sacks? I think Williams will have 8-10 or more sacks this year.  In fact, if his current rate continued into the regular season, he would easily pass double digits.  However there is more to playing defense than just sacks and he is also dominate against the run.  I make that statement because I see Williams as a Richard Seymour type disruptive force who at 21, is only going to get bigger and stronger.  Fowler was underwhelming in a lot of his college games; in fact many folks on this board preferred the LB the Steelers took over him.   I think he will be a good player but to say he could be a perennial 10 plus sack guy before he plays a single game is just wishful thinking on your part.  Let him prove he can handle NFL lineman before we make those kinds of projections.   

5 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Do you judge a player solely by Sacks? I think Williams will have 8-10 or more sacks this year.  In fact, if his current rate continued into the regular season, he would easily pass double digits.  However there is more to playing defense than just sacks and he is also dominate against the run.  I make that statement because I see Williams as a Richard Seymour type disruptive force who at 21, is only going to get bigger and stronger.  Fowler was underwhelming in a lot of his college games; in fact many folks on this board preferred the LB the Steelers took over him.   I think he will be a good player but to say he could be a perennial 10 plus sack guy before he plays a single game is just wishful thinking on your part.  Let him prove he can handle NFL lineman before we make those kinds of projections.   

I think he is handling them, he just has to handle them quicker and faster.  Reports were he was lifting mangold off the ground in drills.  Im not worried about this kid.

5 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I think he is handling them, he just has to handle them quicker and faster.  Reports were he was lifting mangold off the ground in drills.  Im not worried about this kid.

Who are you talking about? Did you actually read the post; I am referring to Fowler NOT Williams. 

29 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

misquoted you, sorry bout that.

24 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Who are you talking about? Did you actually read the post; I am referring to Fowler NOT Williams. 

On 8/23/2016 at 10:16 AM, Matt39 said:

Yeah, like Gerald McCoy. The DT the Bucs took with the 3rd overall pick who also lines up all over the place...including nose when Tampa deploys the occasional 3-4 look (albeit rarely)...just like Leo.  Players like this are special.  I highly doubt he's going to stay there forever, but this is the best way to develop an interior rush and get all three of the big boys on the line at the same time without switching to a base 4-3.

This is preposterous.  2 posters here told me Leo's SPARQ scorez weren't up to snuff therefore his below average athleticism would cause him to be limited to an average DE that never lived up to the draft hype. 

40 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Do you see Leonard Williams as fulltime Nt?   If not the Jets are predominantly a 3-4 defense.  Which of the three Dlineman( M Wilkerson, Sheldon RichArdson , and Leonard Williams is sitting on the early run downs. Not a problem week one ( Richardson suspension, but will be after that first game) 

Leonard Williams I buy him play Nt on the passing downs( want to get three best defense lineman o n the field together , but until the Jets go to 4-3 than just how much is he going to play on the run downs. ( will be interesting if they try to play him there fulltime Nt, and how effective he will be against the run,

As good as Richard Seymour was he never played Nt.  He was a  perfect 3-4 De, and could play all over the line in 4-3 defense.

i can't make projection about Fowler, but you know what his ceiling is.( Leonard Wiliams has higher one).   If Fowler was a Jet , honestly would your opinion be different. 

Only time will tell about either player , but it's silly to make any statement now whose ceiling is greater.

24 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Do you see Leonard Williams as fulltime Nt?   If not the Jets are predominantly a 3-4 defense.  Which of the three Dlineman( M Wilkerson, Sheldon RichArdson , and Leonard Williams is sitting on the early run downs. Not a problem week one ( Richardson suspension, but will be after that first game) 

Leonard Williams I buy him play Nt on the passing downs( want to get three best defense lineman o n the field together , but until the Jets go to 4-3 than just how much is he going to play on the run downs. ( will be interesting if they try to play him there fulltime Nt, and how effective he will be against the run,

As good as Richard Seymour was he never played Nt.  He was a  perfect 3-4 De, and could play all over the line in 4-3 defense.

i can't make projection about Fowler, but you know what his ceiling is.( Leonard Wiliams has higher one).   If Fowler was a Jet , honestly would your opinion be different. 

Only time will tell about either player , but it's silly to make any statement now whose ceiling is greater.

If you see the title of the thread, it compares him to how Joe Klecko played all over the line.  The point is he is not a full time NT or DT or DE. He can potentially play ALL THREE POSITIONS AND AT A HIGH LEVEL.   

Why is it silly to make a statement after seeing him for a full season and watching his improvement over that span of time?  He was the consensus BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE DRAFT last year and FELL to the Jets at 6.   Based on need, Fowler went ahead of him, but I doubt too many people felt that Fowler was the better player. 

BTW Do I have to remind you that you are posting on a Jets board????   Are we not allowed to talk up our players that we have actually seen perform as opposed to someone who is coming off a serious injury and has yet to play a down of real football??    If you don't like my comments you are free to ignore them or find a Raiders board to comment on. 

If Fowler was a Jet I would root from him like I would any Jet player.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't be pissed if we passed on a better player to take him. 

18 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

They played 4 man fronts 70% of the downs last season when Sheldon came back from his suspension.  Williams was on the inside with Mo for most of those fronts with Richardson and Maudlin (with a mix of others on the ends). 

In terms of Fowler vs. Williams, as a die hard Florida fan who was probably Fowler's biggest fan around here, I had Williams as the best prospect in the draft.  Even ahead of the QB's, many did.  Some people were calling him the next Reggie White (clearly a huge reach) but I didnt hear anyone calling Fowler the next LT or Derrick Thomas for that matter. 

Versatility in Bowles scheme is huge and Williams provides a ton of it.

It's not apples to apples because this is essentially a rookie season for Fowler, but I bet Williams has more sacks this season. 

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

They played 4 man fronts 70% of the downs last season when Sheldon came back from his suspension.  Williams was on the inside with Mo for most of those fronts with Richardson and Maudlin (with a mix of others on the ends). 

In terms of Fowler vs. Williams, as a die hard Florida fan who was probably Fowler's biggest fan around here, I had Williams as the best prospect in the draft.  Even ahead of the QB's, many did.  Some people were calling him the next Reggie White (clearly a huge reach) but I didnt hear anyone calling Fowler the next LT or Derrick Thomas for that matter. 

Versatility in Bowles scheme is huge and Williams provides a ton of it.

It's not apples to apples because this is essentially a rookie season for Fowler, but I bet Williams has more sacks this season. 

My point exactly. 

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

USC played him all over the line also, so he is used to it and will excel at any spot the Jets play him at.

So he's a more talented Muhammad Wilkerson.  Pretty amazing.  Wonder how Redskins fans feel about the Brandon Scherff pick right about now?

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So he's a more talented Muhammad Wilkerson.  Pretty amazing.  Wonder how Redskins fans feel about the Brandon Scherff pick right about now?

And to think some Jet fans wanted us to take him before the draft.  Short armed, and relatively un-athletic offensive lineman should never go in the top ten.

Just now, JetBlue said:

And to think some Jet fans wanted us to take him before the draft.  Short armed, and relatively un-athletic offensive lineman should never go in the top ten.

If he projected to be a LT, or even a RT, that pick would have been forgivable.  But everyone on the planet (outside of perhaps Dan Snyder) knew he'd end up a guard, and thus a desperate reach. 

26 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

BTW Do I have to remind you that you are posting on a Jets board????   Are we not allowed to talk up our players that we have actually seen perform as opposed to someone who is coming off a serious injury and has yet to play a down of real football??    If you don't like my comments you are free to ignore them or find a Raiders board to comment on.  

You can believe in any opinion you want to believe in.  Have every right to have big expectations  forLeonard Williams.    Only problem I have is you made statement that his upside is higher than Fowler   .   

Nobody can prove that one way or the other.( isn't fact but your opinion) .   Again only time will prove if your OPINION was correct.  you could easily be wrong too.

Really doesn't matter what the draft experts thought- see Tom Brady sliding to 6th round.( the Jaguars took Fowler over Williams because he was graded higher on there board- time for millionth time will prove that one way or the other.)  How many Qb were taken before Brady was.

29 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

You can believe in any opinion you want to believe in.  Have every right to have big expectations  forLeonard Williams.    Only problem I have is you made statement that his upside is higher than Fowler   .   

Nobody can prove that one way or the other.( isn't fact but your opinion) .   Again only time will prove if your OPINION was correct.  you could easily be wrong too.

Really doesn't matter what the draft experts thought- see Tom Brady sliding to 6th round.( the Jaguars took Fowler over Williams because he was graded higher on there board- time for millionth time will prove that one way or the other.)  How many Qb were taken before Brady was.

Whatever dude; you really need to get laid or something. You are way to worried about what fans on a opposing board think. 

Archived