Hackenberg to.. IR ? ? ?

kelly

Stashing Hackenberg on IR could solve the Jets’ quarterback quandary

How does a team with four quarterbacks on the roster keep all of them without carrying all of them roster? By stashing one of them on injured reserve.Manish Mehta of the New York Daily Newsmakes the case for using IR as the spot for rookieChristian Hackenberg, allowing the Jets to keep Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, andBryce Petty on the roster once the season starts.

Technically, a player has to be injured to be placed on injured reserve. But if the player goes along with it, who’s to stop it from happening ?  Teams misuse IR all the time. Some teams have been accused from time to time of using players on IR in practice, even though that’s never supposed to happen.With each team now allowed to permit one player per year to return from injured reserve, Hackenberg could (in theory) be brought back to the 53-man roster, if for example the Jets were to find a trade partner for Petty or Smith.

If the Jets are reluctant to cut Smith or Petty, using IR as the landing spot for Hackenberg makes the most sense. Especially since they have yet to put him in either of the team’s two preseason games.

>          http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/23/stashing-hackenberg-on-ir-could-solve-the-jets-quarterback-dilemma/

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, KRL said:

They aren't wrong, it would open up another roster space for someone else

not going to get too deep into this on football forum but it is no wonder we have so much corruption in our society.

for that matter i could rob a bank and that would solve my financial issues.

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

not going to get too deep into this on football forum but it is no wonder we have so much corruption in our society.

for that matter i could rob a bank and that would solve my financial issues.

We are talking about football roster management here not real societal issues.  You jumped to an extreme here

how does this benifit Hack.  By rule he cannot practice.  I know other teams have done it but with the ny media do you think it would fly under the radar.  We would still have the same problem with Hack next year.  How good is he

24 minutes ago, KRL said:

We are talking about football roster management here not real societal issues.  You jumped to an extreme here

is it or is it not against the rules?

is the author telling everyone (and yourself) it is ok to break the rules?

who are the most influential audience of sports?

29 minutes ago, jetfan39 said:

how does this benifit Hack.  By rule he cannot practice.  I know other teams have done it but with the ny media do you think it would fly under the radar.  We would still have the same problem with Hack next year.  How good is he

it makes more sense to put devin smith on IR than hack.  the entire purpose of this "redshirt" season is so he can learn.

51 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Manish did a story on this too

These people should be fired now

hey kids its ok to cheat everyone else does and gets away with it...so go ahead just dont get caught

The Patriot Way! 

3 minutes ago, TJ said:

The Patriot Way! 

hey I got a good idea

Fitz should let some air out of the ball.  Boy that would solve some of our problems with Fitz right, he could make those long sideline passes and work better in windy games like Buffalo... why not its been done before...just don't get caught.

We are just talking better ball management here...nothing to see.

If Hack is put on IR, every team in the AFC Est should file a complaint with the NFL.

Because cheating is cheating, and if we do it, we deserve to get busted for it.

I don't care if "everyone" does it.

Make the hard choices Macc, that's why you have a job.

Cheating is wrong when the Patriots do it. Cheating is wrong if we do it. 

As a practical matter, it would prevent him from practicing with the team which means it does us very little good. If he went out and practiced with a QB coach on his own it would undoubtedly be discovered and we would have to account for it. 

The authors arguing for this should be banned from contact with the team. Now if one of our QBs gets injured and we need to put them on IR there will always be that stink of cheating to it. The media cannot be allowed to cause harm to the organization through advocating rule violations.

7 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

No rule bending,  line stepping, grey area shenanigans, unethical stunts, or blatant cheating.

Not for this franchise.

And absolutely NO HIGH SCHOOL DETENTIONS ON THESE PLAYERS' PERMANENT RECORDS!

In all seriousness I'm fairly positive they did this last season with Amaro. Not a big deal.

28 minutes ago, flgreen said:

He would also have to go thru waivers

They wouldn't be cutting him and putting him on the IR, it would just be a straight IR designation right? No need for waivers.

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

The only issue is that Hackenberg won't be able practice and that's pointless.

How much practicing would he be doing in the regular season as the 4th QB? Not much at all, if any.

10 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

And absolutely NO HIGH SCHOOL DETENTIONS ON THESE PLAYERS' PERMANENT RECORDS!

In all seriousness I'm fairly positive they did this last season with Amaro. Not a big deal.

Feel free to acknowledge I was right about not wanting Harvin and being ecstatic about letting him walk.

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Feel free to acknowledge I was right about not wanting Harvin and being ecstatic about letting him walk.

He's not on a team because of his lingering hip issues (think he may have even retired), not because he served detention in high school. I will acknowledge you were the most content to see him go, though.

2 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Manish did a story on this too

These people should be fired now

hey kids its ok to cheat everyone else does and gets away with it...so go ahead just dont get caught

Well, the Patriots cheat with virtually no consequences other than a 4 game suspension of Brady (that should have been an entire season, imp). So why not?

2 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Well, the Patriots cheat with virtually no consequences other than a 4 game suspension of Brady (that should have been an entire season, imp). So why not?

thank you for proving my point....now onto football

how bout them jets eh?

29 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

He's not on a team because of his lingering hip issues (think he may have even retired), not because he served detention in high school. I will acknowledge you were the most content to see him go, though.

If you go back and read my posts about Harvin,  you would see that being a grossly overrated gimic and a rarely healthy piece of chipped china was also part of my contempt for him.  Even if it was second to choking coaches at Florida, throwing a dumbbell at Leslie Frazier in Minny, and attempts to start a mutiny in Seattle over Wilson.

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

If you go back and read my posts about Harvin,  you would see that being a grossly overrated gimic and a rarely healthy piece of chipped china was also part of my contempt for him.  Even if it was second to choking coaches at Florida, throwing a dumbbell at Leslie Frazier in Minny, and attempts to start a mutiny in Seattle over Wilson.

And that time he skipped band class.

3 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

is it or is it not against the rules?

is the author telling everyone (and yourself) it is ok to break the rules?

who are the most influential audience of sports?

you should start a task force designed to once and for all put a stop to the unsavory practice of ripping off tags from mattresses.

Archived