Hackenberg to.. IR ? ? ?

kelly

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000689934/article/christian-hackenbergs-throw-a-work-in-progress

Are we going to have to wait an entire season to see New York Jets second-round pick Christian Hackenberg?

On Wednesday, the team's quarterbacks coach, Kevin Patullo, compared Hackenberg's throw to a golf swing -- and one that isn't necessarily efficient at the moment.

"It's like a golfer," Patullo said Wednesday, via ESPN.com. "You don't want to change his swing midseason."

(The Jets) won't get into specifics, but people who have studied the rookie believe he tends to over stride, causing his passes to sail. He struggled with his accuracy last season at Penn State, but theJets saw enough potential to draft him in the second round.ESPN added:

"That's not something we're going to get into right now," Patullo said. "We're just trying to see where he's at, what he knows."

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Any team acquiring a project player...

about half the teams (those with franchise QBs) only keep 2 QB. the third is usually on the p squad, with an unwritten agreement that if another team comes calling, they make the real squad. that almost never happens. 

How much coaching resources does this player need? Hackenberg isn't an asset, he's a problem. 

55 minutes ago, bitonti said:

about half the teams (those with franchise QBs) only keep 2 QB. the third is usually on the p squad, with an unwritten agreement that if another team comes calling, they make the real squad. that almost never happens. 

How much coaching resources does this player need? Hackenberg isn't an asset, he's a problem. 

Pro-style offense bro

58 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I thought it was an actual written law (for lack of better term) that if a team scoops someone off a practice squad that they have to put said player on the team of 53.

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

I thought it was an actual written law (for lack of better term) that if a team scoops someone off a practice squad that they have to put said player on the team of 53.

Yes that is true but usually the team who kept him on the taxi squad gets a chance to match, at least through the player's agent. In that case the marginal psquad QB can get the same promotion but without changing cities (and possibly systems, etc). 

10 hours ago, bitonti said:

Teams with franchise QB's are also paying $20+ million to their starter, and don't spend second round picks on a QB they expect to come in as the #3 their rookie year. If you believe in your scouting and coaches then make the pick, even if it makes you look justifiably crazy. so I guarantee you the jets were aware of hackenberg's issues, and they definitely view him as an asset. you might not, and that's understandable, but at the end of the day they don't care what you think

On August 25, 2016 at 5:47 PM, FidelioJet said:

Who cares? I care!

Actually, it's not a big deal - I just don't get the logic.  Like anything else, the longer you're doing it the better you'll be at it...This is a long season and just seems silly to wait 7 months to begin fixing his mechanics. 

Because it's not that big a deal.  Learning the NFL, to read defenses, etc is more important.  Again he's not playing so it's not a big deal

11 hours ago, bitonti said:

He's a problem to who?  You?  The jets don't seem to care, you do.  You dream up problems where problems don't exist.  Bradys mechanics were changed. Rodgers too.  Let's not do Hacks though, that's stupid and a waste of time 

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

He's a problem to who?  You?  The jets don't seem to care, you do.  You dream up problems where problems don't exist.  Bradys mechanics were changed. Rodgers too.  Let's not do Hacks though, that's stupid and a waste of time 

I agree with this. I think it's too early and a bit of a stretch to say hack is a problem.

O.K.,  Hack must be pretty horrendous at this point in time.  I think the organization is NOT surprised at this, yet were confident enough in their staff to try and develop him.  They won't give him 5 years to have the light go on, but I'll bet they think the light will go in at some point soon. Certainly a shorter amount of time than it's taking Geno.

Listen, the plan is to draft and/or acquire QBs almost every year. Ron Wolf and handsome God of Fire Charlie Casserly believe in that strategy and, I'm assuming, they liked Mac because he also likes that strategy. If they acquire another young QB and he surprises everyone and plays well enough to surpass Hack, they'll say goodbye to Hack if they need room. 

I believe the grown ups in charge have zero faith that Geno is the QB to take the Jets into the future. Geno will be the odd man out this year, or next, and they will keep developing the QBs they draft/acquire until one is ready to take the reigns. 

1 hour ago, Shadetree said:

I agree with this. I think it's too early and a bit of a stretch to say hack is a problem.

O.K.,  Hack must be pretty horrendous at this point in time.  I think the organization is NOT surprised at this, yet were confident enough in their staff to try and develop him.  They won't give him 5 years to have the light go on, but I'll bet they think the light will go in at some point soon. Certainly a shorter amount of time than it's taking Geno.

Listen, the plan is to draft and/or acquire QBs almost every year. Ron Wolf and handsome God of Fire Charlie Casserly believe in that strategy and, I'm assuming, they liked Mac because he also likes that strategy. If they acquire another young QB and he surprises everyone and plays well enough to surpass Hack, they'll say goodbye to Hack if they need room. 

I believe the grown ups in charge have zero faith that Geno is the QB to take the Jets into the future. Geno will be the odd man out this year, or next, and they will keep developing the QBs they draft/acquire until one is ready to take the reigns. 

I hope this is case, especially if Lynch turns out to be a viable NFL starter. I am concerned about Hack but I am by no means calling him a wasted pick. It is not encouraging however to see that he can't even make it on the field as a 2nd round pick. Especially when you see a guy like Prescott a 4th rounder come in and look gameday ready. I know it pre season but it's still concerning.

Archived