Jets’ new era is quietly here: The embarrassing circus is over

Ken Schroy

Jets’ new era is quietly here: The embarrassing circus is over

The Jets are boring.

Before you think that is a knock, hear me out. This is not a bad thing. The Jets broke training camp Monday. You probably did not notice because this has been the quietest training camp the Jets have had in years. While Jets rivals like the Bills, Patriots and even the usually quiet crosstown Giants have dealt with rocky summers, the Jets have been cruising along, enjoying their Camp Quiet. The biggest stories of Jets camp have been the minor scuffle between Darrelle Revis and Brandon Marshall and how many quarterbacks the Jets should keep. That’s right. Jets camp is so dull that we are not debating who the starting quarterback should be. We’re debating who the backup quarterback should be! And, oh yes, whether fourth-stringer Christian Hackenberg is getting enough work in the preseason. Where have you gone, Tim Tebow? This is just what Woody Johnson wanted when he hired the coach/general manager tandem of Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan in 2015. He wanted to hire men who would bring him wins, of course, but he also wanted leaders to quiet the noise around the team. Mission accomplished. The Jets are now as quiet as a library on a Saturday night. Up the road, old friend Rex Ryan has had a brutal training camp filled with key injuries and suspensions. In New England, the Patriots are dealing with injuries to Dion Lewis and Sebastian Vollmer and have the Tom Brady suspension looming. In East Rutherford, the Giants are now fielding questions about how they handled kicker Josh Brown after domestic violence allegations surfaced. Meanwhile, Bowles fields another question about Hackenberg’s playing time. The quiet means fewer back pages, but does it mean more wins? Only time will tell, but having a summer like this can’t hurt. The Jets have been able to concentrate on football with no distractions popping up. When is the last time you could say that? Camp chaos even predated Rex. In the summer of 2008, the team brought in quarterback Brett Favre the day before the preseason opener, making that a crazy training camp. The following season featured the arrival of Ryan as carnival barker and rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez.

The “Hard Knocks” cameras captured all of the fun of 2010, including the Revis holdout. In 2011, Jets players made boasts every day about how far that team would go with Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes and Derrick Mason promising to light up scoreboards. The team went 8-8. Tebow stole the show in 2012 with ESPN’s cameras seemingly everywhere to document the worst experiment since New Coke. The camps of 2013 and 2014 featured more quarterback drama with Sanchez and Geno Smith facing off in ’13 and then the great non-competition competition of 2014 between Smith and Michael Vick. Last year, in Bowles’ first season as coach, it was quiet until IK Enemkpali started throwing haymakers. But this year the drama was over before camp began. Maccagnan made sure of that when he signed Muhammad Wilkerson to a long-term deal in mid-July and then locked up Ryan Fitzpatrick just minutes before the first meeting of training camp. Since then, the Jets have been about as exciting as PBS. The problem for many of those Jets teams that had exciting summers was the disappointing falls that followed them. Maybe for these Jets a sleepy summer will lead to a fantastic fall and a winning winter.

http://nypost.com/2016/08/23/jets-new-era-is-quietly-here-the-embarrassing-circus-is-over/

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

10-6 was a step in the right direction.  First double-digit win season in 5 years.

I agree. Last year was not a "bad year". But the playoffs were within reach and it was choked away to that fat loudmouth in Buffalo.

4 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

I agree. Last year was not a "bad year". But the playoffs were within reach and it was choked away to that fat loudmouth in Buffalo.

A bitter ending, yes.  Rex always has success against young coaches, but then they figure him out in subsequent years.  I'm confident Bowles will also.  And even then it was a strong first season overall for the Macc/Bowles regime.  We beat the Giants for the first time since like 1993.  Split with the Pats, and were pretty damn close to sweeping them.  Swept the stupid Dolphins, finally.  The pros definitely outweighed the cons.

And this year's roster appears to be even more talented and definitely deeper than last year's. 

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A bitter ending, yes.  Rex always has success against young coaches, but then they figure him out in subsequent years.  I'm confident Bowles will also.  And even then it was a strong first season overall for the Macc/Bowles regime.  We beat the Giants for the first time since like 1993.  Split with the Pats, and were pretty damn close to sweeping them.  Swept the stupid Dolphins, finally.  The pros definitely outweighed the cons.

And this year's roster appears to be even more talented and definitely deeper than last year's. 

If you need one coach to win one game, Rex might be your guy. Granted your team will collapse like a horse shot full of amphetamines and mountains of cocaine before a race and have to be put down afterwards, but for that one game oh man look out!

44 minutes ago, jgb said:

If you need one coach to win one game, Rex might be your guy. Granted your team will collapse like a horse shot full of amphetamines and mountains of cocaine before a race and have to be put down afterwards, but for that one game oh man look out!

What a way to go though

11 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

sustained success is what we want.  No one year but year after year and that's what I thing is being built. 

Yep.  I think people were complaining about how Macc wasn't bringing in/developing young talent on offense to replace aging guys like Marshall, Fitz, Mangold, etc. down the road  Well, we seem to have a bunch of talented young WR's now, and some young OL guys are also showing promise.  Meanwhile, you can't possibly argue Macc isn't at least trying to find us a QB after the Petty and Hackenberg picks. 

And we KNOW we've got young defensive talent we're investing in....

1 hour ago, jgb said:

That horse doesn't sound very...stable.

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  I think people were complaining about how Macc wasn't bringing in/developing young talent on offense to replace aging guys like Marshall, Fitz, Mangold, etc. down the road  Well, we seem to have a bunch of talented young WR's now, and some young OL guys are also showing promise.  Meanwhile, you can't possibly argue Macc isn't at least trying to find us a QB after the Petty and Hackenberg picks. 

And we KNOW we've got young defensive talent we're investing in....

Compare this to Idzik's Great WR Wipe Out of 2014.

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Who gives a ****? They're still not winning. 

I'll go first.  I give a shlt.  10 wins and a change in the way they now conduct business is much better than what we've seen before.

ill bet I'm not the only one who likes it better this way

8 minutes ago, Pac said:

ah, yes..  I'm basking in the glory of all these non-descript press conferences.  This is so much better than when it was interesting and we were winning playoff games.

Yeah Patriot press conferences are a hoot.

I'm not completely sold on Todd Bowles yet.

I think Macc will turn out to be a solid GM. Hopefully, Woody has patience with him and he is given a chance to find a legitimate QB. I don't think that person is yet on the roster.

It will be interesting to see how Macc conducts his first real coaching search once the Bowles experiment runs its course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Pac said:

ah, yes..  I'm basking in the glory of all these non-descript press conferences.  This is so much better than when it was interesting and we were winning playoff games.

You think press conferences have anything to do with winning?  You're only winning if your press conferences are a freak show lead by a clown? 

Real problem is how were those clown shows when we weren't winning? 

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Most of this is due to the fact that Bowles doesn't give any sound bites. He's a natural when it comes to media relations. Mangini didn't give away any information but he had no charisma. 

So true....Bowles seems to have a sense of humor, he's straightforward, and he knows when to give a non-answer. 

Couldn't be happier.

Great teams are born from great organizations and we need to take steps towards professionalism and maturity before we can do great things on the field.  So far Maccagnan looks like a tremendous hire.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Couldn't be happier.

Great teams are born from great organizations and we need to take steps towards professionalism and maturity before we can do great things on the field.  So far Maccagnan looks like a tremendous hire.

SAR I

SAR

The point that you make concerning organizations is something that can't be emphasized enough and something we as Jets fans frequently overlook. 

Archived