What Would You Give Up For Joey Bosa?

win4ever

The San Diego Union-Tribune's Michael Gehlken reports the Chargers recently offered holdout No. 3 overall pick Joey Bosa "their best offer," but Bosa rejected it and talks "are nowhere."

This is past being ridiculous, but it's only getting worse. There was a report earlier this week that the Chargers were willing to give Bosa $10 million of his $17 million signing bonus up front, but that's still not good enough for Bosa's camp. This looks like it could seriously linger into the regular season, and the Chargers have pulled their most recent offer. They also released a public statement, making this a PR war now. In the statement, the team said it'll have to now adjust any further offers because Bosa isn't going to be able to play all 16 regular-season games due to all the missed time. This is getting ugly.

---

This is getting bad between the team and Bosa.  What would be willing to offer them if you call them up now?  
It's not a position of need by any means, but what would be a starting offer?

A first round pick, Jace Amaro?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, win4ever said:

---

This is getting bad between the team and Bosa.  What would be willing to offer them if you call them up now?  
It's not a position of need by any means, but what would be a starting offer?

A first round pick, Jace Amaro?

Just looked it up, deadline for Chargers to trade Bosa was a couple weeks ago.

He's going to have to win over his teammates as well.  It's one thing for a veteran player to be in a contract dispute with the team.  Teammates know that's what happens and support the player when he comes back through the door.  But this guy hasn't arrived with the team yet, and is basically a stranger to them.  And even worse, he's a rookie, and hasn't gone through any of the growing pains needed out of a "new guy". 

Ugly situation indeed.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I thought I heard on radio the other day that there was a deadline to trade first-rounders so now he plays for SD or he sits out 'til next season.  

Oh, there is a deadline to trade first round guys?  I didn't know that.  What is the point of that rule?

2 minutes ago, King P said:

1) The deadline to trade Bosa's rights passed 2 weeks ago.

2) Bosa is a bust in the making anyways. No thank you

Just found out about the deadline.  

I think he's a stud in the making though. 

Just now, win4ever said:

Oh, there is a deadline to trade first round guys?  I didn't know that.  What is the point of that rule?

Probably so a rookie can't be demanding a trade midseason.  Helps protect the organization.  Bosa now knows its Chargers or bust for a full season. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's going to have to win over his teammates as well.  It's one thing for a veteran player to be in a contract dispute with the team.  Teammates know that's what happens and support the player when he comes back through the door.  But this guy hasn't arrived with the team yet, and is basically a stranger to them.  And even worse, he's a rookie, and hasn't gone through any of the growing pains needed out of a "new guy". 

Ugly situation indeed.

I think on a pure situational basis, the Chargers seem to be playing hardball here since all the other top picks got the 4th year guarantee, so I can see why he's holding out.  Even Lee got the money, and he was picked 17 spots later.  

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Probably so a rookie can't be demanding a trade midseason.  Helps protect the organization.  Bosa now knows its Chargers or bust for a full season. 

I see, interesting, I didn't figure there was a deadline for certain players to be traded.  You learn something new everyday, lol.  So if he hypothetically sits out the whole season, what happens?  Goes back in the draft? Free agent?

Researched it, yeah goes back in the pool.  Apparently family is rich, so he can afford to play hardball. 

19 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I see, interesting, I didn't figure there was a deadline for certain players to be traded.  You learn something new everyday, lol.  So if he hypothetically sits out the whole season, what happens?  Goes back in the draft? Free agent?

Researched it, yeah goes back in the pool.  Apparently family is rich, so he can afford to play hardball. 

15 minutes ago, peebag said:

According to this article it looks like the Chargers are being cheap...

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2016/8/2/12346564/the-truth-about-the-bosa-holdout-according-to-hoyle

Yeah it's tough because the Chargers are kind of strong arming them for a far more team friendly deal.  At some point though I feel like Bosa should say f*ck it, I'll bank on myself.  Especially when you have vets on the team calling you out.  

He comes off as a prick and this is doing nothing to remedy that.

Feel bad for charger fans but I was never that high on Bosa to begin with. Never struck me as a superstar talent worthy of being picked that high and now he is fighting signing his rookie contract.

Now if someone could answer this question for me. If he holds out and does not sign with the charges does he reenter the draft next year, or do the charges hold his rights?

Just now, jdeacon said:

Feel bad for charger fans but I was never that high on Bosa to begin with. Never struck me as a superstar talent worthy of being picked that high and now he is fighting signing his rookie contract.

Now if someone could answer this question for me. If he holds out and does not sign with the charges does he reenter the draft next year, or do the charges hold his rights?

Re-enters the draft and the Chargers are not allowed to re-draft him.

Just now, Mogglez said:

Re-enters the draft and the Chargers are not allowed to re-draft him.

Cool thank you. Now if that does happen and he reenters the draft I would be shocked if he goes anywhere close as high as he was drafted previously. What is wrong with this dude.

The fool has urinated away his rookie year (he'll never be able to catch up) and if he becomes any good he's

an additional year away from free agency.  From his interviews he came off like a meathead, here's the proof

44 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I thought I heard on radio the other day that there was a deadline to trade first-rounders so now he plays for SD or he sits out 'til next season.  

I hope he does.  Serve him right.  These young kids and an entitlement mentality.

He could potentially make a few 100K in endorsements if he played in San Diego, plus salary.

I see another OSU bust in the making.

35 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yeah it's tough because the Chargers are kind of strong arming them for a far more team friendly deal.  At some point though I feel like Bosa should say f*ck it, I'll bank on myself.  Especially when you have vets on the team calling you out.  

He comes off as a prick and this is doing nothing to remedy that.

From what I just read, family is rich (not quite Manziel rich, but rich nonetheless) so he might just hold out.

Since, this topic is useless at this point:

If he holds out the whole year, where does he go next year in the draft?

Chargers are in the wrong here. Slapstick organization. Sucks for Bosa, who's the one who's gonna wind up losing millions of dollars for what is a correct principle to be standing on. He should be paid how #3 overall picks are paid, not how the Chargers have paid later picks in the past. 

Archived