Geno the # 2 QB vs Giants

jetfan39

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I want petty w better players, ya gotta go w Geno here. It's the right call. Give the man his shot.

Pressures on Geno, not Petty. Genos got a lot on the line here and I think he'll press. I think Pettys gonna come out relaxed and slinging it.

Bowels is committed to Fitz as the starter. See nothing wrong in giving Geno every opportunity to secure the backup role, it should be his to lose and it is. We are talking about the backup if Petty becomes the man game 4 will be his prep time.

36 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

At this point Geno has to light it up. If he does this week and next week he'll seal it for #2. If we see more of the same and Petty does well this week. Might see a reversal next week.

Disagree .  Wouldn't mind Petty being the backup this week, but , It's too late after this week.  Bryce is not getting the 2 spot if he lights up the Eagles third stringers

2 hours ago, Larz said:

and if they have a brain, petty mops up and hack watches

I don't think I can handle another week of "the sky is falling because Bowles won't play Hackenberg" posts....but I agree.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I don't think I can handle another week of "the sky is falling because Bowles won't play Hackenberg" posts....but I agree.

it is our destiny.......

the 3rd game to me was always the game he had no shot of playing in.  I think hack gets to mop up in the 4th game, probably a full quarter.  Even if calamity strikes and fitz and geno are down during the season, hack will never play this year, they will sign a vet off the scrap heap, so it makes no sense to take reps away from petty

28 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Disagree .  Wouldn't mind Petty being the backup this week, but , It's too late after this week.  Bryce is not getting the 2 spot if he lights up the Eagles third stringers

Sure Bowles and Mac want to give Geno one last opportunity to prove himself.  If you've already made up your mind that Petty can handle the #2 (at least as well as Geno anyway to this point), what is Geno's purpose?  That is, he won't lose the #2 job only because Petty is playing better, rather that it is Petty playing better and Geno not showing any appreciable improvement.

Petty was drafted last year, a known project, and has made great strides in a year...IMO, he's already solidified his spot on the roster.  Hack's not going anywhere.  The media has always framed the Geno/Bryce issue as will they keep both, or will Petty be cut?  Personally I'm of the opinion that Petty was never getting cut, unless he made no appreciable progression over the last year; this is now known to not be an issue.

Geno on the other hand, to keep his roster spot IMO, had to clearly show he was better than Bryce; so much so that the Jets would not want to cut him...and that hasn't been the case to date.  Saturday is Geno's last opportunity.

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Looking to see if Geno can put something together. Probably the last preseason game he plays. 

I'm curious on where you stand with geno now that you have watched him play a bit. I know it just preseason but has he changed your mind at all? 

29 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Sure Bowles and Mac want to give Geno one last opportunity to prove himself.  If you've already made up your mind that Petty can handle the #2 (at least as well as Geno anyway to this point), what is Geno's purpose?  That is, he won't lose the #2 job only because Petty is playing better, rather that it is Petty playing better and Geno not showing any appreciable improvement.

Petty was drafted last year, a known project, and has made great strides in a year...IMO, he's already solidified his spot on the roster.  Hack's not going anywhere.  The media has always framed the Geno/Bryce issue as will they keep both, or will Petty be cut?  Personally I'm of the opinion that Petty was never getting cut, unless he made no appreciable progression over the last year; this is now known to not be an issue.

Geno on the other hand, to keep his roster spot IMO, had to clearly show he was better than Bryce; so much so that the Jets would not want to cut him...and that hasn't been the case to date.  Saturday is Geno's last opportunity.

I don't understand.  So you think Geno is cut or is the #3 ?  Last opportunity to retain his # 2 spot? I would think, that you think, the most likely scenario is that Geno is cut .  

I have thought all along that Geno would get cut and I think he should, but it's not going to happen. 

If bowles is going to decide if Geno is cut by his play in the 2nd half of the snoopy bowl then he is an idiot.  He should know by now if any QB is getting cut, and if Geno was getting cut then the valuable reps would be going to Petty. 

Its one thing to keep a calm influence over the team and bring a good attitude but a completely different thing to manage who plays when and where. His game day managing was suspect last year but he was a rookie coach. For his sake I hope he is correct. 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

it is our destiny.......

the 3rd game to me was always the game he had no shot of playing in.  I think hack gets to mop up in the 4th game, probably a full quarter.  Even if calamity strikes and fitz and geno are down during the season, hack will never play this year, they will sign a vet off the scrap heap, so it makes no sense to take reps away from petty

Agree on all points except the amount of playing time for game 4.  With the time he has missed, it wouldn't shock me at all to see him get the entire game or, at least, most of it.  Sit Fitz.  Maybe start the #2 for a drive or two. Give Hack the rest of the game.

39 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Three possibilities IMO.

1) Geno is the no. 2, end of story.

2) Showcase Geno for a trade

3) Give Geno a shot to avoid being cut in favor of Petty

Which one is it?

4) Bowles is sick of everyone's sh*t and is just saying the things that will generate the least amount of harumphing.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

4) Bowles is sick of everyone's sh*t and is just saying the things that will generate the least amount of harumphing.

Dammit....totally forgot to include that one. Could be.

3 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

I really don't want to see anymore Geno. This blows. Petty deserves a shot with some decent players around him. 

And Bret Ratliff never got a chance. Just because you can beat up on 3rd and 4th stringers doesn't mean you can do the same against the starters. 

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

I don't understand.  So you think Geno is cut or is the #3 ?  Last opportunity to retain his # 2 spot? I would think, that you think, the most likely scenario is that Geno is cut .  

and you would be correct.  Gene's deal is over after this season, he ain't coming back, and would probably save money against the cap.

If he's lights out, maybe they keep him..but if not, he's gone.

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

And Bret Ratliff never got a chance. Just because you can beat up on 3rd and 4th stringers doesn't mean you can do the same against the starters. 

I love this line...so, if Geno has, you know, the 'mad experience' to justify his retention on the roster....

why has he done jacksh*t against other teams 2's?

5 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

I really don't want to see anymore Geno. This blows. Petty deserves a shot with some decent players around him. 

I am going to lead the chorus of BOOOS from the mezzanine as I go try to find a Bryce Petty bobble head  for my cleaning woman.

I have no intention of sitting there and watching him suck.

SAR I

Geno Smith

A hot topic lately has been the Jets QB situation. It is well documented that there are four guys for what is traditionally three roster spots. Christian Hackenberg is basically a red shirt freshman, the team wants to bring him along slowly. Ryan Fitzpatrick is back one a one-year deal. That leaves the backup QB spot and it has been assumed the spot belonged to Geno Smith. The “competition” got interesting when Smith struggled against the Redskins and Petty had a very strong showing.

Geno Smith Preseason Stats

Geno

Bryce Petty Preseason Stats

Petty

Todd Bowles put any doubt to rest on Wednesday, at least for right now Geno Smith is still the # 2 QB.

On the quarterback rotation on Saturday…

Obviously, I want (Ryan Fitzpatrick) to play quite a bit and depending on how the offense goes, it’s hard to get three quarterbacks in the second half. I’ll try to if everything goes right. In a perfect world, you want it. We really do want to try and get all of them in the game.

On if he knows who will be the second quarterback to play…

Yes, I do (laughter).

On if he will share which quarterback will appear second…

Geno (Smith).

On whether Bryce Petty will play…

It’s hard to get a gauge on the game. He played a lot last week and the week before. We’ve got to get our guys ready to play.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

j-ZdBSy204Q

Click here to read the full story...

3 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

and you would be correct.  Gene's deal is over after this season, he ain't coming back, and would probably save money against the cap.

If he's lights out, maybe they keep him..but if not, he's gone.

So they should have Petty playing in this game after Fitz, no?? Makes sense to me. Get him some valuable reps. Why play Geno?

9 hours ago, Shadetree said:

As much as I want petty w better players, ya gotta go w Geno here. It's the right call. Give the man his shot.

Pressures on Geno, not Petty. Genos got a lot on the line here and I think he'll press. I think Pettys gonna come out relaxed and slinging it.

7 hours ago, k-met57 said:

let Geno have his shot...at least he wont be able to say that he didnt get a chance when he sh*ts the bed and gets cut.

Geno gets his shot? This is his 4th year. He's had 4 shots. And he's sucked through all of them. It makes no sense.  The guy is not coming back next season and he's a bad quarterback. I don't see the point. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Geno gets his shot? This is his 4th year. He's had 4 shots. And he's sucked through all of them. It makes no sense.  The guy is not coming back next season and he's a bad quarterback. I don't see the point. 

...to give him a shovel and tell him to dig his own grave.

Archived