Geno the # 2 QB vs Giants

jetfan39

9 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Disagree .  Wouldn't mind Petty being the backup this week, but , It's too late after this week.  Bryce is not getting the 2 spot if he lights up the Eagles third stringers

I think for the most part the 1st half will go to Fitz. At that point if Geno comes in he will probably get the 3rd quarter maybe more to see if he can get into some rhythm and put some drives together. He hasn't shown much consistency in preseason so far. Petty would follow. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure why this surprises any one. I might have Petty just start the season, but Bowles is yet another in the long line of defensive minded head coaches that value veteran status and perceived superiority in "protecting the football" over actual QB skill and developing a QB. Starting Fitz again has me as unexcited about a new Jets season as I have been in a while. It is likely to be over by week 6 with Fitzjagoff starting.

Why not play Geno as much as possible?  Let him audition for the role of back up on another team that needs one after this week's preseason games.  If you hope to trade someone, even for a 7th or conditional pick, you want to put them on display.

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

4) Bowles is sick of everyone's sh*t and is just saying the things that will generate the least amount of harumphing.

I hope you're right, because my first thought on reading this thread title was "this dumbass team really is going to carry 4 QBs, isn't it."

30 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Not sure why this surprises any one. I might have Petty just start the season, but Bowles is yet another in the long line of defensive minded head coaches that value veteran status and perceived superiority in "protecting the football" over actual QB skill and developing a QB. Starting Fitz again has me as unexcited about a new Jets season as I have been in a while. It is likely to be over by week 6 with Fitzjagoff starting.

Lololololoolololol .... Bowles would have to be retarded if that is his perception ... And he's not!

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

I am going to lead the chorus of BOOOS from the mezzanine as I go try to find a Bryce Petty bobble head  for my cleaning woman.

I have no intention of sitting there and watching him suck.

SAR I

So you're one of the people that boo your own team. Good for you.

36 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

i mean we did go 10-6 last year. i know the schedule was not killer like this year but those are strong words for a guy rooting for a team which never wins anything. Fitz was clearly the best possible option at this point...brady and manning werent in the free agent market in case you didnt notice.

9 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

I love this line...so, if Geno has, you know, the 'mad experience' to justify his retention on the roster....

why has he done jacksh*t against other teams 2's?

You mean like,you know, in the one quarter he played last week and another the week before? Or did you mean his last 6-7 actual NFL games? Cuz if I remember correctly, Fitz hasn't exactly been the 12 mil QB this preseason either. It's pre season, so relax. 

I really thought I would see more out of Geno this preseason but he still looks tentative behind center and inaccurate with his throws. When training camp started I thought he was the no. 2 for sure and easily ahead of Petty but I'm not so sure now. These next 2 games are really important for Geno because if Petty outplays him like last week he could be cut instead of them carrying 4 QB's.

Geno is not getting cut or traded, and it makes zero sense but it is what it is.  He will be the #2 all year and Petty and Hack will not get the reps that are so valuable to young QB's.  How are you supposed to develop young QB's if they can't get any reps?

Starting to wonder about Bowles

25 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i mean we did go 10-6 last year. i know the schedule was not killer like this year but those are strong words for a guy rooting for a team which never wins anything. Fitz was clearly the best possible option at this point...brady and manning werent in the free agent market in case you didnt notice.

Well I dont agree he is the best option.His season last year was a mirage just like Foles 20-3 TD to INT rate was. I am still counting down the days to opening day and will root as hard as any Jets fan for them to win, but the rational side of my brain just feels like this year is going to be squandered by this guy.

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Well I dont agree he is the best option.His season last year was a mirage just like Foles 20-3 TD to INT rate was. I am still counting down the days to opening day and will root as hard as any Jets fan for them to win, but the rational side of my brain just feels like this year is going to be squandered by this guy.

Who do you think is the best option?

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

Three possibilities IMO.

1) Geno is the no. 2, end of story.

2) Showcase Geno for a trade

3) Give Geno a shot to avoid being cut in favor of Petty

Which one is it?

Pretty much. But if I'm a betting man, its #1.  The 3rd game is a consensus simulation of the real thing around the entire league.   This game is about getting the team ready for week 1.  Not showcasing someone for some hypothetical scenario that really only exists in the mind of the fans.  

So one would think, that this is how we're going into the season.  Fitz>Geno>Petty.  Hack???  No clue.  Mysterious IR?  Or they keep 4?  No way they send him to the practice squad.  I could see Petty getting that treatment before Hack.  Really hope the decision isnt to keep 4 QBs.  But who the F knows? 

If they were trying to showcase Geno for a trade, Petty wouldnt have got the Lions' share the first 2 games.  It would have been Geno.  

I could be wrong, maybe everyone is right and this is Geno last shot to keep his back up job.  But I highly doubt it.  I think this board just wet themselves over meaningless preseason mop up time when Petty got in the game.  I dont think our CS is that naive. 

based on petty's play this preseason and how the coaches speak of his progress there's no way he gets cut.  mccags has said numerous times he's committed to developing qbs and petty is the first guy in this process.

i think geno is still a big ahead of petty for the #2 job, at least as of now, and they're giving him a shot to prove it.  i don't think they're going to be able to trade him, it's tough to see another team wanting him as the #2 qb unless there are injuries.  

i think the jets want to see how geno plays under clear pressure, not regular season pressure, but pressure to prove he can play even reasonably well when it's obvious there's a lot at stake for his professional career.  at some point he's going to have to prove to mccags and bowles that he can do it when he's not wearing a red jersey or he's not making the team. 

If Geno is the #2, and plays more than a few drives, I think that closes the book on any idea of a "competition" between Geno and Petty for the #2 Job.

Geno is the #2.  Petty will either be cut, PS'ed, or they'll (foolishly IMO) roster 4 QB's for 2016.

If Macc thinks Geno is legitimately the much better QB, and has the most upside and future in New York, fair enough.  If he's just hedging his bets, thats pretty weak and spineless IMO.  I expect more sack from Macc, frankly.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If Geno is the #2, and plays more than a few drives, I think that closes the book on any idea of a "competition" between Geno and Petty for the #2 Job.

Geno is the #2.  Petty will either be cut, PS'ed, or they'll (foolishly IMO) roster 4 QB's for 2016.

If Macc thinks Geno is legitimately the much better QB, and has the most upside and future in New York, fair enough.  If he's just hedging his bets, thats pretty weak and spineless IMO.  I expect more sack from Macc, frankly.

i don't think there is a chance of petty being cut.  this is the first jet gm i can remember who said from the outset he's committed to developing qbs.  petty has clearly improved from last year.  it does not seem like mccags' plan to cut him yet.  heck, petty looks better than fitz, albeit with different competition.  

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i don't think there is a chance of petty being cut.  this is the first jet gm i can remember who said from the outset he's committed to developing qbs.  petty has clearly improved from last year.  it does not seem like mccags' plan to cut him yet.  heck, petty looks better than fitz, albeit with different competition.  

Then they're keeping 4 QB's, and that IMO is a waste and a mistake.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I assume the point about guts is based, as I also see it, on the notion that this approach might merely be a deferral of the decision that must be made. I don't like it, but if I had to bet that is what seems the most likely explanation for the approach they are taking.

But I also don't know whether such a conservative approach is or is not in keeping with Macc's general approach.  Do we have enough info based on what he's done already to say one way or the other?  The big moves he made last off season I think were bringing Carpenter, Marshall and Fiyzpatrick to the O (I think the Revis signing was mostly Woody).  I would argue those were all fairly low risk moves, and it took IK's punch to really make the Fitz signing work out as it did. Otherwise signing Fitz would have been merely adding a vet Qb as backup. The other big move was using the first round pick on Leo.  I suppose despite it being a BPA pick it was also a bit controversial given the talent already on the DL.  But it wasn't a radical move.

I also think the way he handled the existing roster going into this off season is more conservative than not.  Regarding Wilkerson and Fitzpatrick, he took some risks to be sure.  But in the end all he really did was re-sign two players already on the team.  He also let Ivory go for Forte, but I'd be hard pressed given the price tag to say that is a reach.  And in the draft he took a fairly conservative approach, making no real effort as far as I could tell to trade up to get Goff or Wentz, and even let Lynch go assumedly because he was concerned whether Lynch could succeed in this market.  His most controversial move was drafting Hackenberg, and we can only guess how he feels about that today. maybe not so good.

So, how much risk is Macc really inclined to take?  I think the Jets organization has more than enough evidence to pull the trigger on cutting Smith.  But maybe they, as of today, do not think they are comfortable enough relying on Petty as the backup.

Is that playing it smart?  Hard to say.  But if they end up carrying four Qb's, the irony is they will have been conservative right into what today is a rather radical approach to the Qb position.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Anderson, Peake, Marshall, Ross: one of these guys will be cut so we can roster three different QBs who will never start a playoff game in their lives.

It's probably 4 QB's to never start a playoff game...but who's counting, right? 

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Then they're keeping 4 QB's, and that IMO is a waste and a mistake.

i don't think geno sticks.  i think they probably thought that his work and humility would ultimately translate to real games and it hasn't.  now they want to see if he sucks again.  truth, if the jets cut geno, which team would run to pick him up?

26 minutes ago, ljr said:

Who do you think is the best option?

I think that Petty would make mistakes but play as well or better than Fitz

I used to think that Geno would as well, but not sure after seeing him in preseason

I think that Hoyer would have done well in this offense and saved us $10 million

I think Fitz is one of the most overrated backup level QBs ever. He is pretty terrible.

19 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i don't think geno sticks.  i think they probably thought that his work and humility would ultimately translate to real games and it hasn't.  now they want to see if he sucks again.  truth, if the jets cut geno, which team would run to pick him up?

Bowles strikes me as a very methodical Head Coach.  I dont see him going into the "dress rehearsal" with a different depth chart than week 1.  This is the game you get the team ready for Week 1.  Not a game you go out and try to get a feel for players and experiment with the roster based on hypothetical scenarios that have been created by the media and fans.  The other 3 meaningless games are for all that type of stuff.  This one, while still meaningless, is the only game that coaches actually look at as a warm up for the real thing.

So I dont see why Bowles would go into this with different intentions than he has for Week 1.  

If Geno is cut, he wont clear waivers.  While Jets fans dont value him, the rest of the NFL places a ton of value in an experience back up who can win games, play well for stretches and who probably hasnt even hit his ceiling yet.  And dont think for a second the Jets CS doesnt recognize that, they do. Otherwise, Geno would have been cut the second they signed Fitz.

Archived