Geno the # 2 QB vs Giants

jetfan39

45 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

The last two games, despite better weaponz and a better offensive coordinator, we got the same old Geno Smith. 

Maybe Rex ruined him, or maybe he was destined to suck no matter what.  Either way, I've had enough of him. With Petty showing promise, and Hack missing out on valuable reps because there aren't enough to go around, keeping Geno serves no positive purpose for this team.

If that makes me a hater, so be it.

This makes you a hater...and yes you're being it. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Well he surely has enough people praying for his downfall so I can understand your position. 

If he doesn't pan out cool, I'm just not a hater. 

You're the "Advanced Stat" Guru.

Odd how silent you've become on that topic of late.

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

They gave the job to Fitz because as bad as he is, they still feel he is their best chance for success. That may be true, but I doubt they will go to playoffs this year if Fitz goes down (still a long shot with him healthy), but they are setting themselves up for the same problem next year. Petty will not have grown as much as he could if he was the #2.

Personally, I think resigning Fitz is part of the chickensh!t approach that you're outlining. Again, comparing to Denver who brought him in, possibly offered him $7M for one year, and then let him walk out. Clearly Denver is taking a much more bold approach. I don't think the Jets make the playoffs if Fitz stays healthy. 

57 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Odd isnt it? 

Just watching the people who claimed all summer to be tired of the Geno talk talk about Geno. 

Funny how the only difference here is that the talk now isnt based on support. I guess its "Much readable" now isnt it?

Maybe next time instead of guys creating threads or complaining saying that "the board is unreadable" they should just say that "they dont like the continuous Geno support", given that everyone claiming "unreadable" are all participating in the unreadable topic. 

That would have been a more accurate title. 

Statz. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Personally, I think resigning Fitz is part of the chickensh!t approach that you're outlining. Again, comparing to Denver who brought him in, possibly offered him $7M for one year, and then let him walk out. Clearly Denver is taking a much more bold approach. I don't think the Jets make the playoffs if Fitz stays healthy. 

I agree to a point. Petty isn't ready to start IMO; also I can see believing the Fitz has a better chance of winning (especially early in the season - where Bryce would still not have much experience against tougher competition). So, I can see signing Fitz; but the backup is by definition less risky and I don't know if Geno gives us a huge advantage over Petty early in the season. So, in my mind  Petty over Geno is a much easier call (less risky call) than Petty/Geno over Fitz. So, it is even more of a chicken-**** move.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I think all the available evidence suggests that that's exactly what they're going to do.

What a shame..  6th or 7th receivers on teams usually play A LOT and produce incredible #'s.

1 hour ago, BUM-KNEE said:

I was of the opinion months ago that the CS wanted to get Petty/Geno/Hack under a microscope in OTAs without Fitz around. That is why the Fitz deal went to the zero hour to get done in my opinion. Once they saw where Geno and Petty were at a little better, they either 1) Felt neither could get it done or 2) Petty looked like he could supplant Geno, thus bringing Fitz back in to take the reigns.

If Petty or Geno looked like they were going to be able to capably lead this offense, I dont know if Fitz would be here now to be honest.

To me, it seems wastefull to carry 4 QBs into the season. But hey Im no NFL GM.

i think the plan was always for fitz to return for 1 more year, at least 1 more as the starter.  

another thing about the backup qb job is that it's not set in stone the entire year. geno may start out as the #2 but petty may pass him during the season.  it seems petty's learning is accelerating during camp.

35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Oh, and as for my "odd silence". 

The only thing odd about it is the side of the topic you're on. When you're supporting Geno Smith people come up with threads talking about how "unreadable" the board is with all this Geno talk.. Three weeks into the preseason we've had the same level of threads and posts yet its of the Anti-Geno kind. Yet havent seen any "unreadable" threads pop up. 

I've been waiting for the next "This is an unreadable" thread given that we're still talking about Geno Smith.  Wont hold my breath though, guys showed their hand with quotes under their avatar name. 

I've been silent because the hate's not my mode and Bowles made it official that Geno's the back up. What's there to say, really? Kinda like how I stay silent in Fitzpatrick threads since im not interested in Ryan Fitzpatrick. I dont need to make a "This Fitz love is unreadable" thread nonsense just to quiet down the supporters in order for me and others to sh*t on him without having to hear the support. I dont have to say in every thread "Watch this turn into Ryan Fitzpatrick" like guys do with Geno Smith...not understanding that the same guys who claim not to be interested not only participate in every Geno thread but bring it up in every non Geno topic. 

Cant I sit back and watch this play out? Cant I sit back and watch how guys who claim not to like something because its unreadable, or the same "4 or 5 guys" do the same thing? Im saying, sometimes being silent allows them to provide ammunition for you later on in need be. 

And I dont have to be in Fitz threads talking about my dislike for the guy. Both things I see from guys here who claim to have "enough of Geno". Dudes talk about this guy everyday. I've had enough of this "close but no cigar" Fitzpatrick nonsense....you know what I do? I dont talk about him every day. Sure, I talk about him in response to a topic, but everyday? For a guy that I've had enough of? The hypocrisy is to be expected. People cried all summer over the Geno talk, same guys over here talking about him yet constantly say they've had "enough of him". 

This is odd indeed. lol. 

The final reason why I've been silent is because he's the back up QB. Its official. I dont need to talk about something that has no purpose and has been set straight by the coach. The hate has an opportunity to flourish uninterrupted. Nothing odd with that if you've ever paid any attention to my movements. 

I'll make sure to see you 15 minutes after week 17 is over though, I didnt forget about THAT...trust me. 

21 hours ago, ljr said:

Sounded like he committed entire 1st half to Fritz the cat ... Hope Geno is like 1 or 2 drives & then they move quickly to Petty in the 2nd half

To my eyes Geno Smith doesn't deserve ANY playing time. He has looked awful whenever he has been in there while Petty is looking sharp. I know it is against third stringers but he is playing with third stringers as well. Geno is going up against the backups with backups and has looked like warm doo doo. Number two is what Geno Smith is....brown and smelly number two.

2 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

It seems to me that Denver is a 'win now' team as returning champions and with the great defense. Yet, they seem to be willing to give the starting job to 7th round pick (that hasn't looked that great IMO) over a veteran until their #1 pick is ready. If you ask me, that takes more guts than picking a second year QB as the #2.

It seems like Kubiak's mindset is to waffle on his choices, sort  of a Shanahan lite . Last year he flip-flopped on CJ Anderson/Hillman virtually all season and kinda of did the same with Peyton/Osweiler. I wouldn't put any stock in who's starting there any particular game.

I doubt we've seen the last of Sanchez there and wouldn't be surprised if all there of Sanchez, Siemien, Lynch start games for them this season.

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I think that Petty would make mistakes but play as well or better than Fitz

I used to think that Geno would as well, but not sure after seeing him in preseason

I think that Hoyer would have done well in this offense and saved us $10 million

I think Fitz is one of the most overrated backup level QBs ever. He is pretty terrible.

Disagree with you on Fitz & Geno  ... But interesting reply

i def want to see more of the same out of Petty on Sat & next week ... If we do I'm encouraged ... But still Want to keep him as #2

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

Maybe it is their pedigree, maybe because Elway is Elway or they just won a super-bowl, who knows, but Denver is a win now team and even if Bowles/Mac think the Jets are a win-now team (but also want to build for the future), having Geno #2 may be safe, but I still think it is a little chicken-****. I am not disagreeing with your assessment, I am just disagreeing with the Jets FO approach. You can't coach/manage to not lose your job (just like you can't play to not loose a game), and I think the rewards are well worth the risk.

They gave the job to Fitz because as bad as he is, they still feel he is their best chance for success. That may be true, but I doubt they will go to playoffs this year if Fitz goes down (still a long shot with him healthy), but they are setting themselves up for the same problem next year. Petty will not have grown as much as he could if he was the #2.

Another view point is this. If they take the chance this year, they are making a choice and betting on the future; if not, Petty's growth will likely be reduced and next year with Geno gone they will be at the same point they were this year; grab a FA that is the best of a bad situation (maybe even Fitz again or even Geno) instead of having a guy more ready to take over or compete. IOW they might not have much of a choice once again. Wouldn't it be nice going into next year knowing (or improving the chances on knowing) that Petty can be the real deal and not be forced to pay for another 1 year solution?

Not sure how Petty being on the roster as number 3 retards his progress. He will get valuable class room work and film study. And its not like the number 2 is doing much more in practice than the 3. Sure they typically run the (opposition) scout team but I'm not sure that buys the backup that much of an advantage, you could even argue its a hindrance as its a different offense than what the Jets are running. 

Bottom line the 2 or 3 is only playing this season if Fitz is hurt or the Jets are say 2-8 . If Fitz is hurt I believe the first call goes to Geno , if they're 2-8 I hope Petty is given the reps.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Odd isnt it? 

Just watching the people who claimed all summer to be tired of the Geno talk talk about Geno. 

Funny how the only difference here is that the talk now isnt based on support. I guess its "Much readable" now isnt it?

Maybe next time instead of guys creating threads or complaining saying that "the board is unreadable" they should just say that "they dont like the continuous Geno support", given that everyone claiming "unreadable" are all participating in the unreadable topic. 

That would have been a more accurate title. 

Statz. 

45 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The only thing odd about it is the side of the topic you're on. When you're supporting Geno Smith people come up with threads talking about how "unreadable" the board is with all this Geno talk.. Three weeks into the preseason we've had the same level of threads and posts yet its of the Anti-Geno kind. Yet havent seen any "unreadable" threads pop up. 

I've been waiting for the next "This is an unreadable" thread given that we're still talking about Geno Smith.  Wont hold my breath though, guys showed their hand with quotes under their avatar name. 

I've been silent because the hate's not my mode and Bowles made it official that Geno's the back up. What's there to say, really? Kinda like how I stay silent in Fitzpatrick threads since im not interested in Ryan Fitzpatrick. I dont need to make a "This Fitz love is unreadable" thread nonsense just to quiet down the supporters in order for me and others to sh*t on him without having to hear the support. I dont have to say in every thread "Watch this turn into Ryan Fitzpatrick" like guys do with Geno Smith...not understanding that the same guys who claim not to be interested not only participate in every Geno thread but bring it up in every non Geno topic. 

Cant I sit back and watch this play out? Cant I sit back and watch how guys who claim not to like something because its unreadable, or the same "4 or 5 guys" do the same thing? Im saying, sometimes being silent allows them to provide ammunition for you later on in need be. 

And I dont have to be in Fitz threads talking about my dislike for the guy. Both things I see from guys here who claim to have "enough of Geno". Dudes talk about this guy everyday. I've had enough of this "close but no cigar" Fitzpatrick nonsense....you know what I do? I dont talk about him every day. Sure, I talk about him in response to a topic, but everyday? For a guy that I've had enough of? The hypocrisy is to be expected. People cried all summer over the Geno talk, same guys over here talking about him yet constantly say they've had "enough of him". 

This is odd indeed. lol. 

The final reason why I've been silent is because he's the back up QB. Its official. I dont need to talk about something that has no purpose and has been set straight by the coach. The hate has an opportunity to flourish uninterrupted. Nothing odd with that if you've ever paid any attention to my movements. 

I'll make sure to see you 15 minutes after week 17 is over though, I didnt forget about THAT...trust me. 

You were much better silent. 

15 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

They certainly can't match the value of a #4 QB, that's for sure.

Hard to understand the QB situation, isn't it?  

Geno and Fitz could be gone after this year, why on earth would the Jets want to have Petty and Hackenberg here if they do?

Possible starting and backup QB maybe worth more than a number 6 WR but who cares ?

17 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I believe that the #2 gets all of the scout team reps as well as reps with the #2s and considerably more attention; the #2 has to be ready to play

i know casserly recently said that geno is the best backup qb in the nfl.

realistically, if the jets cut geno after the giants game, which team is picking him up right away? 

18 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I believe that the #2 gets all of the scout team reps as well as reps with the #2s and considerably more attention; the #2 has to be ready to play

I'd expect the #3 to run the scout team while the #2 focuses on the gameplan for that week. Because yes, he needs to be ready to play. Which is why, developmental-wise, it's more beneficial to be the #2. The #2 learns your offense while the #3 mimics your opponents' offenses. 

30 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

If they end up keeping Smith and having him at #2, that hurts at least somewhat Petty's timeline developing further whether he does the scout team or not.  There are other issues.

If Hackenberg was looking great this would be somewhat less of a concern, but Hack is even further off and may not reach the level Petty is at ever. 

So the 4 Qb idea sucks, the risk Petty going to the practice squad sucks, the FO seems afraid to cut Smith and the CS follows the Parcells school of favoring vets even if they suck.

I can't recall the Jets ever having anything close to this kind of situation, but they seem to find new ways of driving us fans to, well, if not distraction, at least frustration.

I'll say this, though, if they risk Petty in a practice squad move and lose him, the Jet fandom might very well explode.

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Is this one of those "I need the last word" situations or "I'm looking for attention" things?

I can certainly make this board unreadable if I want you know. :P

Yes, you certainly have the gift of making the board unreadable; even when not part of your intent.

As for needing the last word: that's up to you. Feel free to not respond. Or respond. I'm punching out of here in about 20 minutes to prep for my fantasy draft. We'll see. 

8 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Yes, you certainly have the gift of making the board unreadable; even when not part of your intent.

As for needing the last word: that's up to you. Feel free to not respond. Or respond. I'm punching out of here in about 20 minutes to prep for my fantasy draft. We'll see. 

That was more of a heat check. My fantasy draft is tomorrow so I have all day to make this place unreadable. It doesn't take much, all you have to do is say something positive about Geno Smith and suddenly 404 errors all over jetnation!

Speaking of topics that make this board unreadable, do you know in Madden 17 you can change Geno's overall rating to 99? F'ing fantastic!

Who you drafting first by the way? 

37 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the jets cut geno after the giants game, which team picks him up?  or does he sit there?

Cleveland gives him a tryout.  He'd make a semi-logical #3 backup to RGIII, and the cost (at that point) is minimal.....if they think he really still has  upside.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

This is odd indeed. lol. 

Funny thing is your just like my 17 yo daughter, you did not get it when I started that thread and you don't get it now. 

I can tell you the board has been much better lately and mostly it's from mods removing some posters. It's also because others don't post 100 times a day.  No one wants to read a board where a poster posts that much No matter what their position. 

33 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

If they end up keeping Smith and having him at #2, that hurts at least somewhat Petty's timeline developing further whether he does the scout team or not.  There are other issues.

If Hackenberg was looking great this would be somewhat less of a concern, but Hack is even further off and may not reach the level Petty is at ever. 

So the 4 Qb idea sucks, the risk Petty going to the practice squad sucks, the FO seems afraid to cut Smith and the CS follows the Parcells school of favoring vets even if they suck.

I can't recall the Jets ever having anything close to this kind of situation, but they seem to find new ways of driving us fans to, well, if not distraction, at least frustration.

I'll say this, though, if they risk Petty in a practice squad move and lose him, the Jet fandom might very well explode.

I would explode. I really like petty. 

I think petty has a mentality that a coaching staff, even a Parcells tree coaching staff, want to keep around. I really like when I hear him talk and his little bit of swagger on the field has me feeling very positive. 

IIRC, Parcells did throw Romo in as a rookie, right? I could be wrong, but I think, in todays NFL, coaching staffs are more willing to pull the trigger with a move like cutting Geno and letting Petty be the guy if his progress pleases them. 

Just now, Augustiniak said:

that's the thing.  if he gets picked up, it's probably not as a #2.

Not at this rather late point, no.  

But he could be brought aboard elsewhere (the old "we can fix him" mantra the NFL is so famous for on bust QB's) and give him a chance to win the #2 job throughout the season.

Just now, Warfish said:

Not at this rather late point, no.  

But he could be brought aboard elsewhere (the old "we can fix him" mantra the NFL is so famous for on bust QB's) and give him a chance to win the #2 job throughout the season.

there's no guarantee he would keep the #2 job on the jets all year. it looks like petty's learning curve is steeper.

5 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

I would explode. I really like petty. 

I think petty has a mentality that a coaching staff, even a Parcells tree coaching staff, want to keep around. I really like when I hear him talk and his little bit of swagger on the field has me feeling very positive. 

IIRC, Parcells did throw Romo in as a rookie, right? I could be wrong, but I think, in todays NFL, coaching staffs are more willing to pull the trigger with a move like cutting Geno and letting Petty be the guy if his progress pleases them. 

I do not think they are cutting Geno. If they have any thought of cutting Geno then they have to give petty the very important reps against the Giants.  

Its not a one game tryout for Geno, he is the #2 and will start the season that way. Petty and Hack won't be getting any practice reps all season.  It's such a waste. 

Archived