Qvale, Ijalana Look to Seize Opportunity with Giacomini

Jetlife33

Jets right tackle Breno Giacomini, who has been on the physically unable to perform list since July, admitted Thursday that his lower back strain might keep him out for the beginning of the regular season.

“I don’t know when I’ll be back. I’m probably like 80 percent speed right now. It’s not where I need to be, to be on the field,” Giacomini told reporters, including Darryl Slater of NJ.com.

Breno Giacomini (vertical)[RELATED: Karlos Williams Hopes To Sign With Jets]

Starting the season on the PUP list – which will “probably” happen, according to Giacomini – would cause the 31-year-old to miss the Jets’ first six games. Like Giacomini, head coach Todd Bowles doesn’t seem optimistic about the 6-foot-7, 318-pounder’s status.

“It’s getting close [to Week 1], and he’s not practicing yet, so we’ll see. Unless he’s practicing, he’s not better. He can’t practice,” said Bowles.

As a result, Bowles acknowledged that the Jets “have talked about” adding outside help (via Connor Hughes of NJ.com). The problem, as Hughes notes, is the lack of intriguing options available.

The rival Giants were making a push to acquire the 49ers’ Anthony Davis earlier this month, but San Francisco didn’t feel inclined to move him then and it’s unclear if that has changed in recent weeks. Will Beatty, a former Giant, and Jake Long represent the two most established free agents on the market. Beatty, who worked out for the Panthers last week, missed all of last season after tearing his pectoral. Long, the No. 1 pick in the 2008 draft, has appeared in just 11 games over the past two years. He partook in four contests with the Falcons last season, though he didn’t garner any starts and has since seen a deal with the Ravens fall through after declining to sign an injury waiver.

If the Jets aren’t comfortable with Beatty, Long or any other free agents (Khalif Barnes and Jamon Meredith are a couple more possibilities), they could wait for a potentially more enticing tackle to hit waivers. Otherwise, either Ben Ijalana or Brent Qvale would fill in for Giacomini. Ijalana has seven appearances and zero starts on his resume. Qvale, meanwhile, suited up for all 16 of the Jets’ games in 2015, but the former undrafted free agent only made one start. Giacomini has started all 32 of the Jets’ contests at right tackle since 2014 and previously started in 33 of 41 appearances with the Seahawks.

1 minute ago, Jetdawgg said:

Unit cohesion may be an issue here. No doubt about what the Jets are drafting next season along with a serious look at some FA's. I thought that BI has played well this PS. Winters really needs to step up with his pass blocking.

Yeah I find myself most worried about the offensive line heading into the season than anything else, chemistry is a big aspect of an O-Line and Breno hasn't practiced once. RT is up in the air at this point. 

1 minute ago, Jetlife33 said:

I would say pass protection on the right side of the line more than anything else. 

I could be in the monority, but a statue would be an improvement over Giacomini at RT. Maybe it was his back, but he was awful last year .

Brent Qvale

By Glenn Naughton

During today’s press conference with the New York media, Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles acknowledged that with two weeks remaining before the team’s September 11th home opener, there is a chance that right tackle Breno Giacomini will be a no go come kickoff.  Giacomini has been plagued by back pain since the opening days of training camp.

In his absence, career back-ups Brent Qvale and Ben Ijalana have alternated at the position in practice and through the first two preseason games as they both look to take Giacomini’s spot for however long he’s sidelined.

Neither player has extensive playing experience and Qvale owns the only start between the two, but neither has heard their name called a great deal this preseason against the Jaguars or Redskins, and that’s a good thing in cases like this.

Todd Bowles also said the Jets could be in the market for a veteran right tackle, but don’t expect much on that front as there’s not much on the market with all 32 teams still carrying 90 players.

For now, it’s a banged up Giacomini, with Qvale and Ijalana jockeying for position.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
9Dzq965SfZI

Click here to read the full story...

Being put in this position may be Macc's biggest miscue thus far, although many were yelling to cut Breno and go with Quale anyway.  But of the 31 other NFL teams, I don't know how many of them would sign Wes Johnson or Jarvis Harrison.  Even Ijalana is a wildcard.

When the Jets and Giants have been good, they have had good OLs.

11 hours ago, New York Mick said:

At least they didn't wait till the last minute. 

Seriously, if he's been unable to perform for a long time, why haven't they been in market for a RT, too?

I thought they were high on Qvale? IIRC, when the conversation turned to brick maybe getting cut, the CS seemed to intimate Qvale was a very real option. gMaybe Qvales  gonna step in?

Bowles made the comment about looking for outside help to turn up the pressure on Ijalana & Qvale

going into the NYG game.  Because in two years this regime NEVER leaks when they are on the prowl

for a player.  Both of them have been anonymous in the first two games and hopefully that continues 

14 hours ago, shuler82 said:

WTF?

If Breno can't go and could be a possibility for the PUP, let's cut bait and save the $$$.

Unless they feel he'd be an improvement when he gets back after 6 weeks, but I agree with you. Save the money now, he's not good anyway. 

16 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Unit cohesion may be an issue here. No doubt about what the Jets are drafting next season along with a serious look at some FA's. I thought that BI has played well this PS. Winters really needs to step up with his pass blocking.

Depending  what happens with Clady, the Jets should invest in a young, proven OT via FA to play on the left side next year and draft a RT that can swing to RG if needed in the early round. Just go big next year at the OT position. Get 'er done or Hack is toast.   

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Honestly I don't think either Ijalana or Qvale did a bad job in preseason. They both looked fine. I'd start Ijalana but the team has options in house. 

Ijalana has been surprising. At this point I would say that he's probably as effective as Breno was last year, at the very least.  Qvale had one blown assignment in the Jax game that led to a sack IIRC, but that was it and the organization has been quietly high on him since he got here so unless they bomb on Saturday, I'd roll the dice. 

21 hours ago, varjet said:

Being put in this position may be Macc's biggest miscue thus far, although many were yelling to cut Breno and go with Quale anyway.  But of the 31 other NFL teams, I don't know how many of them would sign Wes Johnson or Jarvis Harrison.  Even Ijalana is a wildcard.

When the Jets and Giants have been good, they have had good OLs.

I remember when we claimed Ijalana off of waivers from the Colts a few seasons ago.

I thought he was a young up and coming O-Line talent at the time.

Now, I find my self sitting here, scratching my head, wondering why the hell we did that and kept this guy on our salary cap all this time if he can't even be a viable starter at RT which is one of the easier O-Line positions to play.

He's 27 years old now, at this point, I'd say it's sink or swim for Ijalana.

Archived