how many of idzik's jets draft picks will remain after upcoming cuts ? ? ?

kelly

Just a horror story about the previous drafts. It is a very revealing theme to just how good a coach Bowles is that he won 10 games last season with a team bereft of talented young men. Macc has found UDFA's and lower round picks with more talent than what is stated above.

Bowles has also made a weapon of The Q.

It's sad that this is a recurring theme with the Jets.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
God what horrible drafting.  Even the Calvin Pryor pick looks dumb considering we could have gotten Derek Carr.  Or Brandin Cooks.  Or Kelvin Benjamin. 

Sure does and many said it at the time. Drafting a safety with no coverage skills was dumb. At least he can support the run but not worth first Rd.

You can't be serious with this, right?  Idzik's drafts certainly greatly deserved to be trashed, but this kind of logic is a complete failure on so many levels.  You can't judge single (successful) selections based on hindsight related to players in the draft who were drafted later.  That kind of logic would make the vast majority of the picks made by every team in every draft qualify as "dumb".  The Jets were more likely to draft Manziel there than Carr, so talk about a reach.

You don't think Pryor was a reach? Be Rex or JI it wasn't a good pick.

Idzik was a bad situation all around. He never should have been hired to pair with Rex. He was not a football game - but tried to revamp the scouting department. It was also hard to figure out the direction of the team when Idzik was the GM. Idzik's drafts look a little better thanks to Bowles and the new coaching staff. But there is still no excuse for picks like Dee Millner. You mess up the #9 pick after trading the franchise player and you deserve to go. Period. 

15 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

You don't think Pryor was a reach? Be Rex or JI it wasn't a good pick.

I thought so originally - but I thought he played really, really well last year. I want to see what he does this season and next first before deciding. But an impact Safety is important and not easy to find.

Idzik!!!!

Really?????

All you have to say is that man had the gall to say the Jets, as then constructed his last year, had more than enough talent to win a SB, when they didn't have enough talent to win the CFL title!!!

Enough already!!!

People are crazy to think that Mac owes anything to Idzik. It would be like the citizens of Pearl Harbor being told that they owe a debt to the Japanese bombers for the remodeling of the base there!

And Rex was fired in the end because he never once told Woody that the talent on the team wasn't good enough to win as provided by Idzik!

Thank Idzik, Good Grief!!!!

I thought so originally - but I thought he played really, really well last year. I want to see what he does this season and next first before deciding. But an impact Safety is important and not easy to find.

He was better but he still can't cover. As long as he is contributing something to the team is better than nothing.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Mac should worship the ground Idzik walked on. He gave him all the cap space he needed to squander with that moronic Revis contract. After Idzik made a smart trade and was able to get rid of him. The 12 mil for Fitz a good Jets transaction, though after they couldn't get away with trying to screw the guy. Looks like if he signed that "generous" 3 year offer they'd have Fitz by the balls for 2 more years as their 6 million dollar man. 

I argue that Tanny set up all the cuts Idzik made. They were no brainers. We should've gotten Revis when he went to the Pats. That would've saved Idzik and maybe given him the leeway to push out Rex. He also gaffed on the deepest drafts in a long time. 

32 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Calvin Pryor is the least of our problems! Why is anyone complaining about Pryor?

My best friend is a Pats fan. Last year he texted me was at Gillette & asked,  "who the hell is this #25?, he's all over the place. Guy stands out".

That was the game he got hurt in & didn't play the 2nd half. Pryor is getting really good. I'm expecting a huge year if he stays healthy.

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

i don't see the value in keeping Amaro. He passed through waivers last year on the way to IR, no one wants him. He can't block, he can barely catch and he doesn't help on special teams. Why does this guy have a job again? 

Did he pass thru waivers?  I believe this is incorrect.

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

I argue that Tanny set up all the cuts Idzik made. They were no brainers. We should've gotten Revis when he went to the Pats. That would've saved Idzik and maybe given him the leeway to push out Rex. He also gaffed on the deepest drafts in a long time. 

His drafts were satisfactory. He didn't gaffe on anything. He like every other GM whiffed on a few picks. So he didn't draft Mathews and Bryant (who is now suspended) and took two Wrs who didn't make it. He ended up drafting Q who could end up as good as any of those guys and his first round picks were good except probably Milliner who could still end up a good player. And he made the Revis trade even though it was probably Woody who told him to do it. Really if you look at the guys he drafted his drafts over time are looking ok. Even guys like Reilly could end up being good players. 

24 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The fact that this guys name still appears on this forum sickens me.

There are a lot of names on this forum that sicken me when they appear.

Mostly rhymes with Schmoeschmillyschmelve. :)

It's easy to say after the fact that a team should have selected a different player. Esp when a good player goes late in the draft. The thing is that multiple teams passed on them. As for not drafting Carr or Teddy at that time the Jets thought they had their young Qb with Geno. And Pryor was a good pick. As a fan you can second guess all day long but that doesn't mean it's logical. 

Idzik's ultimate sin was to think he was building for the long term and did not balance the short term.  He managed a team that was otherwise good and left it with WRs and CBs that were not NFL or even college quality. He was handcuffed by Tanny's contracts, understanding that Tanny got the Jets to the AFCCG two years in the row, which is no small task.

The ghost of Idzik lives with us today.  That is why Geno likely does not get cut-because Mac is cautious about leaving a critical hole in a team that could possibly compete for the playoffs.  Possibly.  Not Super Bowl, but playoffs.  

If they wanted to compete for the Super Bowl, they would keep a developmental player who could help in 2 years rather than keep a flawed QB who will be gone next year (assuming they keep Petty).

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

God what horrible drafting.  Even the Calvin Pryor pick looks dumb considering we could have gotten Derek Carr.  Or Brandin Cooks.  Or Kelvin Benjamin. 

It's something that's thrown around a lot, usually without any truth to it but in this case it is absolutely true: basically every poster on JN could've drafted better than Idzik.

14 minutes ago, jgb said:

It's something that's thrown around a lot, usually without any truth to it but in this case it is absolutely true: basically every poster on JN could've drafted better than Idzik.

Almost ;)

6 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

It depends on when it goes through.  If it's early in camp/preseason, then a player is put in as injured/waived and in that case, you are right that they can be snatched off of waivers.  Only if the player clears can the team put him on IR.  However, after a few weeks (I believe it's based on when the first cutdowns happen), that no longer applies and a player can be put straight to IR without going through waivers.  Last year they held onto Amaro for a few weeks after he had gotten hurt, which would suggest they intentionally avoided putting him on waivers.

That said, yeah he still sucks, but unfortunately so do all Jets TEs.

The bar for TE's has been set by Gronk Graham and Olsen Amaro doesn't suck I think he needs to get healthy and get properly coached and he will be alright he's 100X better than Kellen Davis 

4 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Last cycle here: Bowles is the HC. He hired CG. If you do not like the way I write things here please put my post on ignore or something. Thank you very much.

I have no problem with you Jetdawgg.....

but your behaving like a pit bull with his teeth set into this whole Bowle's is the king and OC's make no difference. You won't let it go.

Bowles ran an incredible offensive system last year. He made Fitz and Marshall into stars. His play calling superb!!!!!

There, happy now? And that is my last cycle.

20 minutes ago, varjet said:

Idzik's ultimate sin was to think he was building for the long term and did not balance the short term.  He managed a team that was otherwise good and left it with WRs and CBs that were not NFL or even college quality. He was handcuffed by Tanny's contracts, understanding that Tanny got the Jets to the AFCCG two years in the row, which is no small task.

The ghost of Idzik lives with us today.  That is why Geno likely does not get cut-because Mac is cautious about leaving a critical hole in a team that could possibly compete for the playoffs.  Possibly.  Not Super Bowl, but playoffs.  

If they wanted to compete for the Super Bowl, they would keep a developmental player who could help in 2 years rather than keep a flawed QB who will be gone next year (assuming they keep Petty).

Hi varjet welcome to JN. Idzik did great on the things he was good at: cap management and fixing our cap hell situation but his failure was due to his abysmal talent evaluation. Typical example of the Peter Principle in my view: Idzik did great as assistant GM but rose to the level of his incompetence.

Of special interest to me is how our inability to find a QB compounds it's suffering. The most important position in sports, not having one precludes you from being an elite or even consistently highly competitive. That necessitates that you keep looking for a quarterback,  continuously allocating more precious and finite resources i.e. forcing us to continuously burn draft picks on the position  neglecting our depth and talent at other positions.  

---

Sanchez a top 5 pick- traded depth players and 1st and 2nd round picks to get

Geno and hack 2nd round picks

Petty - a high 4th round pick that we traded an extra 7th to get.

If we already had our guy all of these resources would have been put into other positions on the team. The draft pick chart value on just these picks alone would be ludicrous! A 1,2,2,2,4,7!   Once you get that 10 year starting quarterback guy, all those resources into finding developing a quarterback get pushed into other parts of the team-not finding a quarterback means not only do you have do you not have a quarterback which sucks but you are left with a huge opportunity cost for all the lost resources devoted to finding one.

Of special interest to me is how our inability to find a QB compounds it's suffering. The most important position in sports, not having one precludes you from being an elite or even consistently highly competitive. That necessitates that you keep looking for a quarterback,  continuously allocating more precious and finite resources i.e. forcing us to continuously burn draft picks on the position  neglecting our depth and talent at other positions.  

---

Sanchez a top 5 pick- traded depth players and 1st and 2nd round picks to get

Geno and hack 2nd round picks

Petty - a high 4th round pick that we traded an extra 7th to get.

If we already had our guy all of these resources would have been put into other positions on the team. The draft pick chart value on just these picks alone would be ludicrous! A 1,2,2,2,4,7!   Once you get that 10 year starting quarterback guy, all those resources into finding developing a quarterback get pushed into other parts of the team-not finding a quarterback means not only do you have do you not have a quarterback which sucks but you are left with a huge opportunity cost for all the lost resources devoted to finding one.

Very true although once you find the guy and his rookie deal is almost up you have to allocate a huge amount of the other finite resource (money) to keep him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, j4jets said:

To be fair, we've had worst drafts than these two. But Idzik was still sh*t. 

It's truly unreal just how optimistic I was during the draft with 12 picks. It was the highest rated WR draft in many years and a position of need for the Jets. How we didn't get a legit WR in that draft is crazy. I'm happy Enunwa looks like he may have something, but he's flawed. ya know... that dropping balls issue. We had so much ammo to trade and weren't able to pull one off due to Idzik and his unbending value chart.

I didn't think Idzik did as bad a job as many others here overall but that draft was just terrible. Like you said, we've had worse, but not by much. 12 picks and barely a legit starter out of the bunch. I like Pryor and have hope for Amaro as well but the lot is a poor crop and it's just sad thinking back to just how good we felt about the draft going in and what we actually pulled out of it.

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Very true although once you find the guy and his rookie deal is almost up you have to allocate a huge amount of the other finite resource (money) to keep him.

I'd take that downside for a legit upper tier QB in this league any day of the week. Hell we gave 12 mil to an aging and flawed Fitzmagic.

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

I'd take that downside for a legit upper tier QB in this league any day of the week. Hell we gave 12 mil to an aging and flawed Fitzmagic.

Plus, pay the QB and use all those opportunity cost draft picks to replace the other positions you aren't signing to bigFA contracts!

Oh I agree but just saying it's not like once you find a franchise QB you can then get studs at every position. It's a balancing act

Oh I agree but just saying it's not like once you find a franchise QB you can then get studs at every position. It's a balancing act

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Plus, pay the QB and use all those opportunity cost draft picks to replace the other positions you aren't signing to bigFA contracts!

I'm trying man, but I can't figure out what this means. In your defense I'm very tired.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Right, but utilizing resources on those positions and not wasting them on a QB would certainly help the situation and make it more likely to find at least solid role players. We've been wasting picks and FA signings on QB's for years in addition to our blown drafts.

Think about it. We've had Michael Vick (at the end) and David Garrard in here recently and there were chorus' for both of them to start. That's how bad it's been.

I don't spend all of my resources and possibly lose games for one position. You can win with a game manager if you have a good team. Even Elway a great franchise Qb when he has to allocate resources has gone with the infrastructure over spending all of his money for a Qb. And btw Fitz is better than a game manager. It will be very interesting to see how he does this season. He isn't elite or a franchise Qb but he's efficient and understands the offense. You can win with that. And to me franchise Qbs anyways are few and far between and sometimes overrated. How many teams with franchise Qbs did not make the playoffs last year. 

Archived