Thoughts on Hackeburg?

Freemanm

Granted he's playing against guys who most likely will never get starting time this season. That said, I was definitely surprised at how much zip he has on his throws and with his accuracy. Also, Petty and Smith did not look sharp at all, although it's only one preseason game. Does Hack have a shot at #2?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Freemanm said:

Granted he's playing against guys who most likely will never get starting time this season. That said, I was definitely surprised at how much zip he has on his throws and with his accuracy. Also, Petty and Smith did not look sharp at all, although it's only one preseason game. Does Hack have a shot at #2?

He can be good.  Penn State ruined him.  It's not an excuse.  It's the truth.  He needed to get out of that dumpster fire. 

8 minutes ago, mkajet01 said:

All I know is geno was horrible, 14 yds passing! Hack was impressive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

That's the reason I'm generally against guys starting from game 1. Geno's psyche has been ruined. It's been pretty evident to me the entire preseason that he's so afraid of throwing a pic now that he's not even throwing the ball downfield. 

To reply to the subject, Hack is what we should expect.  He showed some glimpses of being a competent QB with time and training but he is certainly not ready yet.  It was good to see him get some game reps.  Baby steps!

30 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

That's the reason I'm generally against guys starting from game 1. Geno's psyche has been ruined. It's been pretty evident to me the entire preseason that he's so afraid of throwing a pic now that he's not even throwing the ball downfield. 

Geno is just DUMB!  Its obvious he cant think at the speed necessary to be an NFL QB so just cut bait and let petty and hack and whoever else we have going forward compete. 

1 minute ago, jetfan61 said:

Geno is just DUMB its obvious he cant think at the speed necessary to be an NFL QB. just cut bait and let petty and hack and whoever else goung forward compete. 

We are in a prime opportunity to trade Geno for SOMETHING.  Dallas may give up something for him since he can be an experienced backup, which is exactly what the are hurting for at this time with Moore and Romo out for more then half a season.

Looked pretty solid.  INT didn't bother me too much other than the play call and decision to throw it but I have a feeling they wanted to give him a situational rep.  It was ultimately a rookie moment where it looked like things were moving a little fast and he missed the underneath defender who did a great job of tipping the ball up.  Most importantly though, the thing about Hack is he has a good head on his shoulders and has been described as a cerebral QB so with time that type of stuff will be simple for him. Also gets the the first one out of the way so it will likely loosen him up a bit.

If you only followed the Jets through posters here, you'd think that Hackenberg was going to go out and look like a failed abortion.  Instead, the good far outweighed the bad and he actually has me excited to actually watch the final game of preseason.  

Geno laid another egg despite reports from last visible training camp that he was getting most of the practice reps.  They certainly  gave him every chance to succeed.

Petty who again according to last reports lost practice reps to both Geno and Hack but I didn't think he did too bad.  I got the feeling he was just getting warmed up before that screen which by the way looked like bohanan broke to the wrong side.  Looking at it again in slow motion he had 2 blockers going the direction of Petty pass

Hack showed promise but he is not going to get better without reps.  Even Petty who has been here for 2 training camps has hardly any game time

i think the jets should trade Geno for 8th round pick..

3 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

We are in a prime opportunity to trade Geno for SOMETHING.  Dallas may give up something for him since he can be an experienced backup, which is exactly what the are hurting for at this time with Moore and Romo out for more then half a season.

Sign me up! Anything from a 5th (conditional) to a 7th 

4 minutes ago, jetfan61 said:

Geno is just DUMB!  Its obvious he cant think at the speed necessary to be an NFL QB so just cut bait and let petty and hack and whoever else we have going forward compete. 

Geno does seem not in tune with the speed of the NFL game but he is a known quantity and can hang around with pros in spurts.

The most legitimate reason to cut him is that he has no future on this team. Petty or Hack is this team's next starter - barring a poor season and number 1 overall pick.

Archived