In game coaching/situational coaching/play calling

Lupz27

They don't game plan in preseason. Bowles has said so.

They call plays for situations that may not necessarily be taking place. I think one of the first drives a few weeks ago was to run the 2-minute in the beginning of the 1st quarter.

Challenges tonight were 2/2.

Coaches don't throw the INTs. Both Petty and Hack threw INTs that led to 6 points for the Giants. 

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

They call plays for situations that may not necessarily be taking place. I think one of the first drives a few weeks ago was to run the 2-minute in the beginning of the 1st quarter.

Coaches don't throw the INTs. Both Petty and Hack threw INTs that led to 6 points for the Giants. 

That's just code for I like this coaching staff here are the excuses, the coaching during the games has been poor.

Just now, TheMagicRat said:

It's preseason. The games don't count. Coaches try new things and test the abilities of the players. They will be fine for the regular season.

How is running on 3rd and goal from the 8 testing someone's abilities?

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This is a continuation of the same from last year, the coaching during a lot of games was poor IMO, but Bowles was a learning rookie HC so I cut him slack, he won't get the same slack this year.  If the Jets play conservative take the 3 points in the regular season BS aka play to lose the game in this league, Bowles should be on the hot seat IMO.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

How is running on 3rd and goal from the 8 testing someone's abilities?

They might want to see T-Bo running the ball or see how that play will work in a situation where no expects them to run the ball.

Bowles said in the first preseason game that he tried to do a two minute drill halfway through the first quarter. It's all practice.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

That's just code for I like this coaching staff here are the excuses, the coaching during the games has been poor.

No, the first two are based on verbatims from the coach, the 2nd two are facts.

If you want to whine anyway, then just whine. Don't accuse me of making excuses. All you fools made excuses for Rex for years, while I criticized. Mangini too. I'm not one for making excuses for coaches.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

This is a continuation of the same from last year, the coaching during a lot of games was poor IMO, but Bowles was a learning rookie HC so I cut him slack, he won't get the same slack this year.  If the Jets play conservative take the 3 points in the regular season BS aka play to lose the game in this league, Bowles should be on the hot seat IMO.

lol, the hot seat? 

I called the bad out last year. As well as the good. 

My not being impetuously stupid doesn't mean I'm biased. 

Have a good night.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

We were a great red zone offense last year. I sure as sh*t hope it continues.  This is a ridiculous overreaction based off of one play in the 4th quarter of a preseason game with a rookie at the helm when they were likely working on situational football.

Hot seat? This fanbase, my goodness.

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Needs A LOT of work, all 3 preseason games have been really bad IMO.

I won't judge them on the preseason but:

1. I wanted them to have Hack throw 3 passes when it was first and goal. Nobody cares if backup oline can block for your 4th RB and get you in the end zone on the ground. Really thought they should have let Hack go for it instead of kicking a field goal after two running plays to go up by 6.

2. Bowles on the hot seat?  LOL - he won 10 games last year and his defense looked incredible tonight. He has been able to use this preseason to show that Dee Milliner is not a comeback story and he has a good handle on what kids are ready. Hot seat, wow.

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

This is insane.  Play to lose?  He should on the hot seat?  

Wow.  This wound up after  meaningless preseason football game.  

10 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I have no idea what you are talking about?  Do you actually think the coaches don't want to see the team in certin situations? I.E. I don't think it was the worst thing that our scrubs allowed the Giants scrubs a TD with 2 minutes left. It was good for Hackenberg to run a two minute offense. You act as if they are game planing for preseason and the final score is most important.

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

I won't judge them on the preseason but:

1. I wanted them to have Hack throw 3 passes when it was first and goal. Nobody cares if backup oline can block for your 4th RB and get you in the end zone on the ground. Really thought they should have let Hack go for it instead of kicking a field goal after two running plays to go up by 6.

2. Bowles on the hot seat?  LOL - he won 10 games last year and his defense looked incredible tonight. He has been able to use this preseason to show that Dee Milliner is not a comeback story and he has a good handle on what kids are ready. Hot seat, wow.

I would bet that Hack wanted to throw three passes on first and goal also. My best guess is maybe they were trying to teach him that he is not the only player on the field and that sometimes it is better to just play it safe with the run game when you already have the lead?

No, its actually someone who know

11 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

No, its actually people that know the game of football.  It isn't an excuse at all.  They are using pre-season to try things, put certain players in certain situations to see how they react.  That is how you evaluate bottom-of-roster talent to see who has the skill set and who doesn't.

If that were a real game, and we had a six point lead with about 2:30 to go, do you honestly believe we'd be airing it out of our own end zone with a rookie QB?

No chance. It'd be run, run, run, punt.

They wanted to see how Hack responded, almost as if we were losing and he was trying to march us down the field. No real interest in seeing if your RB can get you 10 yards on 3 downs and playing it conservatively.

I swear Rex has damaged this fan base permanently.

37 minutes ago, Nostradamus said:

This.  People are ridiculous.....it's preseason! Lol

They coach to evaluate and to find strengths.  The score is secondary to getting ready for the season.  If they want to see a QB throw a certain pass or handle an odd situation they sometimes have to force it in a place you would never make that call to evaluate.  

Fans have to get a grip and realize the score is secondary

IMO, and I may be wrong, preseason games are what coaches use to determined if players understand their assignment and concepts within the scheme of the various units and can execute their assignments and concepts . That's why there's no scheming against offenses or defenses. It's all about teaching and seeing what is being understood .

Just now, thebuzzardman said:

I just want to up the ante and say, based on the twitter feeds and vines, I really don't like the way that Bowles is coaching in training camp.

I would have fired him on the spot for the 2 FB's on 3rd down run.  who does that ?

Archived