We have two QBs that pass the eye test

JohnnyLV

And they are our #3 and #4 QB, Petty and Hackenburg.

Hackenburg is not ready but you can see the potential.

Same with Petty, though he looked not as strong tonight.

But both have that quick reaction time, fast release, arm strength and presence that the elite QBs have.

Fitz and Geno do not. Both were awful, especially Fitz who was pretty much completely inaccurate except for a single throw to Decker. Both stare down receivers, and Fitz throws a weak wobbly inaccurate pass on almost every throw. He is really pretty awful and needs the wingspan of Marshall and Decker to save him.

Not sure what this says about the Jets, but Bowles will pull a Parcells and play both of his "veterans" to the bitter end.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the game, Petty didn't pass any test tonight. He won't be on the Jets roster this season. You heard it here first.

I was rooting for the kid but this body of work just isn't going to get it done. He needed to prove that he could be the backup right now, he didn't.

B_Petty.png

Here is our head coach after the game assessing the QB play:

On the play of Bryce Petty…

He wasn’t in long, either. None of them played great. The biggest thing with the quarterbacks is the turnovers. We can’t have the turnovers. That’s the biggest take I got out of it.

On whether he knows which QB will start on Thursday…

Yes

(follow-up)

On whether he is ready to reveal it…

No I’m not. Not yet. Because we still have some things we might want to talk about.

Geno is the best option behind Ryan Fitzpatrick right now. Petty had one good game out of 3 and he got extended looks. He didn't make the most of his opportunity so he won't make the final roster. 

Back to the eye test. Petty definitely didn't pass any eye test tonight. On his pick 6 he got happy feet, throw off his back foot and it was a terrible decision \ pass. He had a 28 rating tonight. 

Bowles pulling the QBs out when he did was telling.

1. Fitz got pulled out on a high note.

2. Geno got put in on the 2 yard line, a tough spot to start a drive and didn't stay in long.

3. Petty came in earlier than many expected and got pulled out after a negative. If they wanted to rebuild his confidence it didn't show.

Petty is getting cut or traded.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Back to the eye test. Petty definitely didn't pass any eye test tonight. On his pick 6 he got happy feet, throw off his back foot and it was a terrible decision \ pass. He had a 28 rating tonight. 

2. Geno got put in on the 2 yard line, a tough spot to start a drive and didn't stay in long.

3. Petty came in earlier than many expected and got pulled out after a negative. If they wanted to rebuild his confidence it didn't show.

I would be shocked and it would be completely moronic. Please dont tell me you thought Fitzloser passed the eye test.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

No. He's not. And if he does it's a huge mistake. The Jets cannot afford to go into next season with one QB under contract. They aren't cutting a cheap and improving QB because of one interception in a preseason game. That's a massive overreaction. 

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

Wow!

Sounds like you really wanted that Snnopy trophy.

If Marshall slips even a little, Fitz is in trouble.

He carried Fitz last year.

Fitz is and has always been a sub par NFL qb, you aren't winning a Super Bowl with him.

As far as eye tests go, I'd say the 2 that pass are Hack and Geno, but you know Geno has the 2 cent brain.

Petty will be a journey man. Hack has the potential.

I don't know how Geno looked awful when he attempted 4 passes and completed 3 of them, while the fourth was clearly a drop by Jain Marshall. 

Don't know how Petty passed the "eye test" when he was inconsistent and had like 4 overthrows.

Hack had the best drive of the night....but looked awful during every drive he had afterwards.

Fitz looked awful 

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Wouldn't be the first time, and won't be the last time, the Jets make a pants-on-head retarded move in some foolish interest of the "short-term" and thereby abandon the long term.

The only right move for 2016 is Fitz/Petty/Hack.

Geno is steaming dogsh*t, is unneeded as the #2, and wouldn't win piss all more than petty could as the #2.

He has no future here, and he's not needed for the present.  This is as close to a no-brainer as we could have.

So we'll assuredly **** it up and do exactly what Max here says, keep Geno, dump Petty.  

Same ol' Jets.

4 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

If Marshall slips even a little, Fitz is in trouble.

He carried Fitz last year.

Fitz is and has always been a sub par NFL qb, you aren't winning a Super Bowl with him.

As far as eye tests go, I'd say the 2 that pass are Hack and Geno, but you know Geno has the 2 cent brain.

Petty will be a journey man. Hack has the potential.

I actually think Fitz will get hurt.  It stands to reason. He is a guy who gets hurt.  He just got a huge chunk of money--so he will go down.  All the signs and omens point to it.  Geno has not warmed the cockles of my heart as a potential replacement. He has been flat out bad this pre season

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I would be shocked and it would be completely moronic. Please dont tell me you thought Fitzloser passed the eye test.

Doesn't matter if he passed an eye test or not. Fitz is gonna be the starter.

Geno will most likely be the backup unless he is dealt for like a 7th round pick

I think Mac and Bowles know a little bit about Football.

I trust whatever they decide.

I'm just saying that I don't agree with the eye test results as they were posted in this thread.

Hashtag Brett Ratliff is the one that got away.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Wouldn't be the first time, and won't be the last time, the Jets make a pants-on-head retarded move in some foolish interest of the "short-term" and thereby abandon the long term.

The only right move for 2016 is Fitz/Petty/Hack.

Geno is steaming dogsh*t, is unneeded as the #2, and wouldn't win piss all more than petty could as the #2.

He has no future here, and he's not needed for the present.  This is as close to a no-brainer as we could have.

So we'll assuredly **** it up and do exactly what Max here says, keep Geno, dump Petty.  

Same ol' Jets.

While I might have put it differently, my sentiment would be exactly the same.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I prefer #needsafairchance, #needsmoreweaponz and #advancedstats myself.

David Clowney just texted me. He wants you to know that he forgot his password so he can't respond. But he said thank you for your post and support. :)

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

I was at the game, Petty didn't pass any test tonight. He won't be on the Jets roster this season. You heard it here first.

I was rooting for the kid but this body of work just isn't going to get it done. He needed to prove that he could be the backup right now, he didn't.

B_Petty.png

He wasn’t in long, either. None of them played great. The biggest thing with the quarterbacks is the turnovers. We can’t have the turnovers. That’s the biggest take I got out of it.

Yes

(follow-up)

No I’m not. Not yet. Because we still have some things we might want to talk about.

Geno is the best option behind Ryan Fitzpatrick right now. Petty had one good game out of 3 and he got extended looks. He didn't make the most of his opportunity so he won't make the final roster. 

You heard it from me three weeks ago but I do not relish in it. Anyone but Geno would be ideal, unfortunately that's just not how it will happen right now. 

10 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

You heard it from me three weeks ago but I do not relish in it. Anyone but Geno would be ideal, unfortunately that's just not how it will happen right now. 

I have you on ignore. But otherwise I would have heard it from you. :)

I assume Mac and Bowles already knew fitz is not a sure thing to repeat last yr..

Last night was just a reminder to them how awful he can be..Has never put two decent seasons together back to back in his entire career.. Probably why geno is definitely staying as the number 2.. We need options at qb.

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

B_Petty.png

Yes

(follow-up)

You must have been in the bathroom or in a coma when Geno came in and played. He was awful. Petty will make the team. Geno will be traded.

1 minute ago, Harlemnite1 said:

You must have been in the bathroom or in a coma when Geno came in and played. He was awful. Petty will make the team. Geno will be traded.

i can see trading geno for a conditional pick.  these guys are committed to developing qbs.  they're not getting rid of petty when he's clearly making progress.  and he looks way better than someone like nassib who's had years in the same system.

I think the Jets have some major decisions to make especially at the WR and QB positions. I would hope that if we are going to cut anyone at those positions we might be able to package someone and get some help on the offensive line. That is the position (OL) I worry the most about.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

i thought petty looked good except for the one play where bohanon got blocked and there was a fluke int.  he's not going anywhere.  he definitely looked better than nassib.

So when Petty throws it, its a fluke int. If Geno throws it , its because he's a idiot with no brains who can't read a defense. 

They all looked horrible honestly.  

Fitz looked lost without Marshall, because teams could focus on Decker.  Having two studs at WR makes it near impossible for defenses to account for both.   

Geno, I can't even say anything because his drives were weird.  He had that good throw to Anderson, but Marshall drop killed one drive.  And then another stalled because the RB got stuffed on 3rd and short, for three straight running plays.

Petty didn't look good at all, and that was a horrible decision on the INT.  He was throwing it away, and instead of making sure it was out of reach, he got lazy.  

Hackenberg looked up and down.  Having the clock run out is inexcusable, and the pass to Peake is behind him, but the WR makes a nice adjustment.  He made two great throws to Anderson, especially that TD throw.  The INT was absolutely horrible, because he's staring down the WR, and doesn't see the LB in the middle.  It took a crazy bounce, but that should have been intercepted outright, the throw was right to the LB.  

Obviously, Fitz is going to start. 

Hackenberg is safe because of his draft position.

I think Petty gets cut as well, because he has a good arm, but is inconsistent.  

10 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

No. He's not. And if he does it's a huge mistake. The Jets cannot afford to go into next season with one QB under contract. They aren't cutting a cheap and improving QB because of one interception in a preseason game. That's a massive overreaction. 

Not to mention it was a screen pass, where you have to back pedal and throw off the back foot.  Your letting people close in on you.  We will never know of tbo turned the wrong way.

4 hours ago, Harlemnite1 said:

Ok. We will find out soon enough. I don't see how a young QB who didn't play in a pro style offense in college unseated the guy ahead of him while having a 28 QB Rating last night. But I will watch the Jets rosters moves because I am sure Bowles and Mac feel the same way.

I don't drink and I bought my PSL seats so they are in the middle of the row. So I don't go to the bathroom during the games. Just wanted to clear that one up while we wait for the Geno trade, lol.

4 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

i thought petty looked good except for the one play where bohanon got blocked and there was a fluke int.  he's not going anywhere.  he definitely looked better than nassib.

Petty missed a few open receivers. But the bigger comment here is oh wow, Nassib is terrible.

Damn they are screwed if Eli goes down.

Archived