We have two QBs that pass the eye test

JohnnyLV

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Ok. We will find out soon enough. I don't see how a young QB who didn't play in a pro style offense in college unseated the guy ahead of him while having a 28 QB Rating last night. But I will watch the Jets rosters moves because I am sure Bowles and Mac feel the same way.

I don't drink and I bought my PSL seats so they are in the middle of the row. So I don't go to the bathroom during the games. Just wanted to clear that one up while we wait for the Geno trade, lol.

No way Geno stays with this team. Carrying 4 QB is a waste especially when we have some talent at WR and might need a CB because Milliner got torched again. The fans and the media hates Geno and its better that he finds another home. Petty may not be the answer but he's looked better than Geno and that's enough for me. Sorry about your middle seats but at least you get to go to the games lol.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Harlemnite1 said:

No way Geno stays with this team. Carrying 4 QB is a waste especially when we have some talent at WR and might need a CB because Milliner got torched again. The fans and the media hates Geno and its better that he finds another home. Petty may not be the answer but he's looked better than Geno and that's enough for me. Sorry about your middle seats but at least you get to go to the games lol.

Wait...the middle seats were my choice. I picked them because aisle seats are annoying. All these drunk people get up all day. People to the right of me go to the right. People to the left of me go to the left. End of story.

We will have to wait on Geno. I believe he will be the # 2, I think they were giving Petty a shot last night and he and a 28.8 QBR. The fans seem really high on Petty. I haven't seen much yet that shows the Jets feel the same way. I have watched Petty in several interviews. Even he thinks he is getting cut. :)

14 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Ok. We will find out soon enough. I don't see how a young QB who didn't play in a pro style offense in college unseated the guy ahead of him while having a 28 QB Rating last night. But I will watch the Jets rosters moves because I am sure Bowles and Mac feel the same way.

I don't drink and I bought my PSL seats so they are in the middle of the row. So I don't go to the bathroom during the games. Just wanted to clear that one up while we wait for the Geno trade, lol.

I watched alot of Petty in college he can ball. If the Jets cut him he will not be on the street long. I would rather roll with Fitz, Petty and Hackenberg. Geno also does not have the support of the team. No one came to his defense in the IK incident. That tells me he's a jerk and not well liked in the locker room. Better to move on and get a fresh start.

1 minute ago, Harlemnite1 said:

I watched alot of Petty in college he can ball. If the Jets cut him he will not be on the street long. I would rather roll with Fitz, Petty and Hackenberg. Geno also does not have the support of the team. No one came to his defense in the IK incident. That tells me he's a jerk and not well liked in the locker room. Better to move on and get a fresh start.

Geno is absolutely a jerk. I don't think anyone really likes him. That said if the Jets aren't sold on Petty, Geno will be the backup. Not sure how you can be sold that Petty is ready to play based on last night.

I think Petty looks good in the pocket. He can move around to keep plays alive. Geno is a more mobile QB but once he moves he should just run.

The only party I am disagreeing with is if the Jets feel that Geno gives them a better chance to win this season than Petty does, then Geno needs to be on this roster. This is an old offense at the skill positions.

22 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Wait...the middle seats were my choice. I picked them because aisle seats are annoying. All these drunk people get up all day. People to the right of me go to the right. People to the left of me go to the left. End of story.

We will have to wait on Geno. I believe he will be the # 2, I think they were giving Petty a shot last night and he and a 28.8 QBR. The fans seem really high on Petty. I haven't seen much yet that shows the Jets feel the same way. I have watched Petty in several interviews. Even he thinks he is getting cut. :)

i can't see them cutting petty, not because he is better than Geno but if they cut him all they would have under contract next year is Hack. I'm guessing the funny face is because you are joking but really, I don't think they want to take a chance on having Hack as their only choice for next year or having to pay Fritz a fortune next year unless he wins the SB this year or goes very deep into the playoffs.

25 minutes ago, jetfan39 said:

i can't see them cutting petty, not because he is better than Geno but if they cut him all they would have under contract next year is Hack. I'm guessing the funny face is because you are joking but really, I don't think they want to take a chance on having Hack as their only choice for next year or having to pay Fritz a fortune next year unless he wins the SB this year or goes very deep into the playoffs.

I didn't fully believe the part I wrote about even Petty thinks he is getting cut. But in a few interviews he did mention that he feels like good game tape will help him get noticed by other teams. I thought that was weird.

If the Jets want a QB under contract beyond this season all they have to do is call Fitz's agent and pay him. I think what the Jets want is to not lock in to any of the wrong players. Hack is the one that is going to give a shot to. So the question is can Hack be the starter next season? They don't know the answer to that yet. But I don't think they are going to be really worried about Petty who is a career # 2 type.

If the jets want they can give Fitz a two year extension and pay him more money. And have Hack take over at any point that he is ready.

Geno and Petty will be graded on how helps the Jets win more games this year if needed. The Jets are hoping neither of them will be needed.

If they get it wrong they can always call up Rick Mirer.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

So the question is can Hack be the starter next season?

:lol:

At Hofstra, maybe.

They don't know the answer to that yet. But I don't think they are going to be really worried about Petty who is a career # 2 type.

What "type" is Geno to you, if you think they'll be more worried about keeping him with no years left?

If the jets want they can give Fitz a two year extension and pay him more money. And have Hack take over at any point that he is ready.

Better, keep Petty AND Hack, shove Geno into the bin, and go into 2016 with TWO QB's to fight it out for the job instead of hope & pray that Hack is ready, or we're stuck in Fitz/JAGland again.

Geno and Petty will be graded on how helps the Jets win more games this year if needed.

Short sighted and foolish.  Yet even still, Petty (based on this preseason) should win that competition hands down.

If they get it wrong they can always call up Rick Mirer.

I hear Glen Foley was seen tossing a football in his backyard the other day.....with Browning Nagle of all people.

@Warfish thanks for the detailed reply. :)

I disagree that Petty beat Geno "hands down" based on this preseason. But like I have said a bunch of times, we will find out what the coaches think soon enough. It isn't shortsighted if the team thinks Geno gives them a better shot to win and they don't think Petty will be anything long term.

Geno is not the "type" of QB I want to build my team around. I just don't think it is a huge problem if he is the backup QB. Charlie Casserly is someone people call a good football mind for helping us land Macc. But when he says Geno is the best backup in the league, he isn't so smart.

My point? This isn't as open and closed as a lot of people make it out to be.

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

I think Mac and Bowles know a little bit about Football.

I trust whatever they decide.

I'm just saying that I don't agree with the eye test results as they were posted in this thread.

Hashtag Brett Ratliff is the one that got away.

It doesn't even matter if Petty becomes anything if he's kept and Geno is ditched IMO...so the hashtag Ratliff thing is nonsense.

The ONLY reason you keep Geno this season is if you still hold out hope that he can be the long-term answer at QB for the NYJ...otherwise, he wastes a roster spot.  He has done nothing over the past 3 years and this PS to show any promise as a starter; and I sincerely doubt he's gonna sign even a back-up deal here after this season, and I wouldn't blame him for that.

11 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I don't know how Geno looked awful when he attempted 4 passes and completed 3 of them, while the fourth was clearly a drop by Jain Marshall. 

Don't know how Petty passed the "eye test" when he was inconsistent and had like 4 overthrows.

Hack had the best drive of the night....but looked awful during every drive he had afterwards.

Fitz looked awful 

I like the Mos Def avatar you copping.

4 hours ago, win4ever said:

They all looked horrible honestly.  

Fitz looked lost without Marshall, because teams could focus on Decker.  Having two studs at WR makes it near impossible for defenses to account for both.   

Geno, I can't even say anything because his drives were weird.  He had that good throw to Anderson, but Marshall drop killed one drive.  And then another stalled because the RB got stuffed on 3rd and short, for three straight running plays.

Petty didn't look good at all, and that was a horrible decision on the INT.  He was throwing it away, and instead of making sure it was out of reach, he got lazy.  

Hackenberg looked up and down.  Having the clock run out is inexcusable, and the pass to Peake is behind him, but the WR makes a nice adjustment.  He made two great throws to Anderson, especially that TD throw.  The INT was absolutely horrible, because he's staring down the WR, and doesn't see the LB in the middle.  It took a crazy bounce, but that should have been intercepted outright, the throw was right to the LB.  

Obviously, Fitz is going to start. 

Hackenberg is safe because of his draft position.

I think Petty gets cut as well, because he has a good arm, but is inconsistent.  

So you cut Petty who is 'inconsistent' despite being in the 2nd year of his deal (a known developmental project) and keep Geno who has displayed nothing but inconsistency for 3+ seasons now.

OK.

2 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

It doesn't even matter if Petty becomes anything if he's kept and Geno is ditched IMO...so the hashtag Ratliff thing is nonsense.

The ONLY reason you keep Geno this season is if you still hold out hope that he can be the long-term answer at QB for the NYJ...otherwise, he wastes a roster spot.  He has done nothing over the past 3 years and this PS to show any promise as a starter; and I sincerely doubt he's gonna sign even a back-up deal here after this season, and I wouldn't blame him for that.

Todd Bowles and Mike Macc both stand to make MILLIONS of dollars. So anyone who thinks every player gets cut or makes the roster based on long term potential just wasn't paying attention to Idzik. I understand the premise and in a perfect world that is how it would work.

I spent all offseason not wanting the Jets to overpay Fitzpatrick. I am of the mindset that Fitz's limitations will hurt the Jets eventually. But they signed him, because they want to win as many games this year as possible. If Fitz gets hurt and they win 6 games, Bowles and Macc will find their seats getting a little hotter.

So they are going to pick the # 2 guy that helps them the most this year. And I am okay with that since they signed Fitz who has limitations himself. As long as they are really developing a long term answer (Hack) so be it.  

It the Jets believed that Petty could be a franchise QB they would not have selected Hack in round two.

11 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Todd Bowles and Mike Macc both stand to make MILLIONS of dollars. So anyone who thinks every player gets cut or makes the roster based on long term potential just wasn't paying attention to Idzik. I understand the premise and in a perfect world that is how it would work.

I spent all offseason not wanting the Jets to overpay Fitzpatrick. I am of the mindset that Fitz's limitations will hurt the Jets eventually. But they signed him, because they want to win as many games this year as possible. If Fitz gets hurt and they win 6 games, Bowles and Macc will find their seats getting a little hotter.

So they are going to pick the # 2 guy that helps them the most this year. And I am okay with that since they signed Fitz who has limitations himself. As long as they are really developing a long term answer (Hack) so be it.  

It the Jets believed that Petty could be a franchise QB they would not have selected Hack in round two.

You really think Geno will help the team win more games than Petty? 

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I think this is a big misconception...IMO, Maccagnan believes that until you have a proven answer at QB, you keep trying...and there was no way after 1 season as the #3 QB with limited reps behind Fitz and Geno last year was Petty going to declare himself as the 'anointed' one.  Take that into consideration as well as knowing Fitz would likely be a 1 yr band aid at best and Geno was outta here after this season anyway...so taking Hack if they believed in him was a no brainer.

Petty's made progress in 1 year and has another few yrs left on his deal...Geno has shown no development at all in 3+ seasons, and certainly not in this PS.  Gene's only 'saving grace' is experience, although most of that has been bad...and nothing this PS leads me to believe anything is different.

Guess we'll see....

5 minutes ago, NYPaperAirplanes said:

You really think Geno will help the team win more games than Petty? 

I am not sure how many more times I can type this. What I am saying is we will find out in a week what Bowles and Macc think the answer to that question is.

What I think doesn't matter. What the guys signing the checks say, that matters. So many people are posting that Geno Smith is the worst QB ever. My point is, if that is true, the decision for the Jets to cut Geno will be an easy one.

A few more days and we find out what they think.

6 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

I think this is a big misconception...IMO, Maccagnan believes that until you have a proven answer at QB, you keep trying...and there was no way after 1 season as the #3 QB with limited reps behind Fitz and Geno last year was Petty going to declare himself as the 'anointed' one.  Take that into consideration as well as knowing Fitz would likely be a 1 yr band aid at best and Geno was outta here after this season anyway...so taking Hack if they believed in him was a no brainer.

Petty's made progress in 1 year and has another few yrs left on his deal...Geno has shown no development at all in 3+ seasons, and certainly not in this PS.  Gene's only 'saving grace' is experience, although most of that has been bad...and nothing this PS leads me to believe anything is different.

Guess we'll see....

Yes, you are right on that part definitely.

Which is why I was okay not bringing Fitz back on a big contract. Keep looking for the guy. So I agree with the thoughts about Petty and those that want to let him develop. The Jets just aren't built that way right now for better or worse.

Oh..one more thing...

Does anyone take seriously the argument that if they cut Geno and Fitz gets hurt making playing Petty necessary, and Petty stinks up the joint, that TB and MM will take a lot of heat? Really?  What the hell has Geno done as a starter that makes that decision a 'bad one' on TB and MM's part?

If Petty won 1/3 of his starts, had a QB rating of 70 and threw less than 1.5 INT's per game...he'd be Geno.

I'd take my chances.

Oh..one more thing...

Does anyone take seriously the argument that if they cut Geno and Fitz gets hurt making playing Petty necessary, and Petty stinks up the joint, that TB and MM will take a lot of heat? Really?  What the hell has Geno done as a starter that makes that decision a 'bad one' on TB and MM's part?

If Petty won 1/3 of his starts, had a QB rating of 70 and threw less than 1.5 INT's per game...he'd be Geno.

I'd take my chances.

Which is why its good that fans aren't allowed to be GM's 

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

So I agree with the thoughts about Petty and those that want to let him develop. The Jets just aren't built that way right now for better or worse.

this part is IMO very shortsighted and I hope that our coaching staff isn't afraid to do the correct thing because of some possible heat from the media if Geno is dealt/cut and Petty doesn't look like a world beater.

Because Geno ain't all that, and never will be.

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Which is why its good that fans aren't allowed to be GM's 

I have eyes and a brain that considers/digests facts and information.  If the scenario unfolded where Geno was cut, Fitz got hurt and Petty sucked actually occurs and some media idiots started trashing TB and MM about that decision...personally I'd laugh.

Cuz Geno has not shown anything to think he's a 'difference maker'...

Actually I laughed at Casserly's statement that Geno was the best back-up in the NFL...total crock.  The best backup in the NFL is someone that has promise...and the only thing Geno promises is more misery.

I have eyes and a brain that considers/digests facts and information.  If the scenario unfolded where Geno was cut, Fitz got hurt and Petty sucked actually occurs and some media idiots started trashing TB and MM about that decision...personally I'd laugh.

Actually I laughed at Casserly's statement that Geno was the best back-up in the NFL...total crock.  The best backup in the NFL is someone that has promise...and the only thing Geno promises is more misery.

Again my statement stands.. 

27 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

I bet Idzik was laughing at the media idiots, too....right before the billboards went up.

Just now, Kevin L said:

I bet Idzik was laughing at the media idiots, too....right before the billboards went up.

Living your life in fear ain't no way to live.

If you're an NFL GM and making decisions to placate others and not in the long term interest of your team, you ain't gonna last long anyway.  I would hope that Macagnan has already learned that, and believe he has.

Picking Hackenberg in rd 2 was kind of polarizing, no?

47 minutes ago, Maxman said:

What I think doesn't matter.

I love you mate, but that's a cop out.

No reason why you can't say what you want/feel.  

None of what any of us says "matters", we all know that.

But if we all took your position, it'd become one hell of a boring forum.

6 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Living your life in fear ain't no way to live.

If you're an NFL GM and making decisions to placate others and not in the long term interest of your team, you ain't gonna last long anyway.  I would hope that Macagnan has already learned that, and believe he has.

Picking Hackenberg in rd 2 was kind of polarizing, no?

GM's need to be fearless, but they also want to keep their jobs. Going with Petty might be the best long-term option for the Jets, but it might not be the best long-term option for Mac to keep his job.

3 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

GM's need to be fearless, but they also want to keep their jobs. Going with Petty might be the best long-termoption for tge Jets, but it might not be the best long-term option for Mac to keep his job.

The easiest, and most reproducible way, for a GM to keep his job in the NFL is to find a stable, long-term, above average starting QB.

Is that Geno?  Not in my opinion, but it's obvious others opinion differs.  Keeping Geno in case Fitz gets hurt knowing he's gonna be outta here regardless at the end of the year, only makes sense with certain circumstances such as:  Is he demonstrably better than Petty?  A potential long-term answer at QB for the Jets?  Who do we have to cut to make room for him?  Who else do we cut to make room under the cap for the season?  Cutting Geno saves $1 million against the cap.

The Petty decision is entirely different as he was drafted as a project QB with potential.  Has he made enough progress to justify keeping him?  Does he still show the potential as a possible long term answer at QB for the Jets?  He costs nothing against the cap, and will be here for 2017 unlike Geno.  Cutting Petty doesn't save anything against the cap.

Honestly, the cutting 'Geno or Petty' thing is actually two totally independent issues for the most part.  They can keep both, but the reasons for doing so are completely different and not mutually exclusive.  If you keep Geno, you're deciding to keep his experience at the cost of $1mil in potential cap savings, a roster spot and foregoing a potential DP if traded (doubt this) knowing he's gone after this season.  If you're keeping Petty you are deciding he's made enough progress to justify that decision against losing another roster spot.

And, while I may agree that Geno might be a serviceable #2 for some team over time, I don't think that'll happen here as Geno has not accepted that fact as of yet AND because of all the 'water under the bridge' here already with Geno (broken jaw, flipping off fans, fans booing and last year of his deal etc.).  How much is Geno's past starting experience worth??

Guess we'll find out.

Don't sell this FO short, they seem to (finally) know exactly what they are doing. Nobody is cutting a QB with a cannon like Petty because of one PS Int. I seriously believe Geno is the odd man out. I have seen too many lousy, uninspired, negative QB rating, turnover filled Geno Smith performances to think he would improve here in NY. Elsewhere? Maybe, but not here. If Fitz goes down, I would begin the future right there and play the kid(s), F it.

20 hours ago, johnnysd said:

And they are our #3 and #4 QB, Petty and Hackenburg.

Hackenburg is not ready but you can see the potential.

Same with Petty, though he looked not as strong tonight.

But both have that quick reaction time, fast release, arm strength and presence that the elite QBs have.

Fitz and Geno do not. Both were awful, especially Fitz who was pretty much completely inaccurate except for a single throw to Decker. Both stare down receivers, and Fitz throws a weak wobbly inaccurate pass on almost every throw. He is really pretty awful and needs the wingspan of Marshall and Decker to save him.

Not sure what this says about the Jets, but Bowles will pull a Parcells and play both of his "veterans" to the bitter end.

Yes but is Winston passing eye test?

10 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

The easiest, and most reproducible way, for a GM to keep his job in the NFL is to find a stable, long-term, above average starting QB.

Is that Geno?  Not in my opinion, but it's obvious others opinion differs.  Keeping Geno in case Fitz gets hurt knowing he's gonna be outta here regardless at the end of the year, only makes sense with certain circumstances such as:  Is he demonstrably better than Petty?  A potential long-term answer at QB for the Jets?  Who do we have to cut to make room for him?  Who else do we cut to make room under the cap for the season?  Cutting Geno saves $1 million against the cap.

The Petty decision is entirely different as he was drafted as a project QB with potential.  Has he made enough progress to justify keeping him?  Does he still show the potential as a possible long term answer at QB for the Jets?  He costs nothing against the cap, and will be here for 2017 unlike Geno.  Cutting Petty doesn't save anything against the cap.

Honestly, the cutting 'Geno or Petty' thing is actually two totally independent issues for the most part.  They can keep both, but the reasons for doing so are completely different and not mutually exclusive.  If you keep Geno, you're deciding to keep his experience at the cost of $1mil in potential cap savings, a roster spot and foregoing a potential DP if traded (doubt this) knowing he's gone after this season.  If you're keeping Petty you are deciding he's made enough progress to justify that decision against losing another roster spot.

And, while I may agree that Geno might be a serviceable #2 for some team over time, I don't think that'll happen here as Geno has not accepted that fact as of yet AND because of all the 'water under the bridge' here already with Geno (broken jaw, flipping off fans, fans booing and last year of his deal etc.).  How much is Geno's past starting experience worth??

Guess we'll find out.

These are all questions only the front office can answer. Unfortunately, neither one did anything special to solidify their chance to be #2. If they decide to go with 3 QB's, the question becomes whether Petty's potential outweighs Geno's experience.

4 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Don't sell this FO short, they seem to (finally) know exactly what they are doing. Nobody is cutting a QB with a cannon like Petty because of one PS Int. I seriously believe Geno is the odd man out. I have seen too many lousy, uninspired, negative QB rating, turnover filled Geno Smith performances to think he would improve here in NY. Elsewhere? Maybe, but not here. If Fitz goes down, I would begin the future right there and play the kid(s), F it.

I agree completely...

IMO, Petty has shown enough in the PS, with his play, to justify keeping him.  Hack ain't going anywhere, and Fitz signed for $12 mill.

The question, after Petty showed enough to stay (I may be wrong in my opinion that he has...we'll see) becomes whether Geno has showed enough to stay.  I outlined the considerations above:

1.  Is he worth the $1 mill cap savings that cutting him would gain?

2.  Can I trade him for a DP?  Who loses a roster spot if I keep him?

3.  Is he demonstrably better than Petty, so that I want to keep his experience if Fitz gets hurt?

4. Is he a potential long term answer at either starting of backup QB here?

It'll be an interesting few days.

5 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

These are all questions only the front office can answer. Unfortunately, neither one did anything special to solidify their chance to be #2. If they decide to go with 3 QB's, the question becomes whether Petty's potential outweighs Geno's experience.

That's only part of the question IMO.

If you know Geno's outta here next year regardless, and Fitz ain't the answer, you can potentially have only 1 QB on the roster after this season if you cut Petty and that's Hack.

58 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I love you mate, but that's a cop out.

No reason why you can't say what you want/feel.  

None of what any of us says "matters", we all know that.

But if we all took your position, it'd become one hell of a boring forum.

I have posted what I feel like 8 billion times, so it isn't a cop out.

The Jets will end this debate soon. And when they do, I will be proven right because Geno Smith will be the backup QB.

Archived