We have two QBs that pass the eye test

JohnnyLV

3 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

I don't know if the odds of keeping 4 QB's has gone up or stayed the same, but the more that looms as a possibility, the worse to me it looks.  Hackenberg looking decent means with some work he will be under contract this time next year, and not be cut.  Fitz is an FA again next off season - who knows how that is going to go.  Meanwhile Petty has shown improvement and like he belongs out there.  He has upside. 

Smith on the other hand has shown no improvement from past years at all.  Does the FO and CS really think he can win games if needed this season?  More htan Petty?  Based on what?  The only reason to keep him is if you think he's got a clear advantage over Petty in that department.  Since I don't think there's any significantly greater likelihood of him doing that, then it is Smith who should be cut.

Personally whether you agree or not that they should, I think it obvious the fans would explode if Petty was cut and another team picked him up.

We are not rostering 4 qb' that's retarded

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Fitz's chemistry with Decker on the td pass the other night looked ok

Fitz without his #1 and #3 WR = don't acknowledge the receivers, he looked awful.

Geno without these same players = of course he looked awful without weapons, want to see him with weapons, advanced stats, et al.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Fitz without his #1 and #3 WR = don't acknowledge the receivers, he looked awful.

Geno without these same players = of course he looked awful without weapons, want to see him with weapons, advanced stats, et al.

Wow you just described 80% of the starting qb' sin the NFL 

On 8/28/2016 at 1:13 AM, Maxman said:

I was at the game, Petty didn't pass any test tonight. He won't be on the Jets roster this season. You heard it here first.

I was rooting for the kid but this body of work just isn't going to get it done. He needed to prove that he could be the backup right now, he didn't.

B_Petty.png

Here is our head coach after the game assessing the QB play:

On the play of Bryce Petty…

He wasn’t in long, either. None of them played great. The biggest thing with the quarterbacks is the turnovers. We can’t have the turnovers. That’s the biggest take I got out of it.

On whether he knows which QB will start on Thursday…

Yes

(follow-up)

On whether he is ready to reveal it…

No I’m not. Not yet. Because we still have some things we might want to talk about.

Geno is the best option behind Ryan Fitzpatrick right now. Petty had one good game out of 3 and he got extended looks. He didn't make the most of his opportunity so he won't make the final roster. 

I believe the Jets see enough potential in Petty that he WILL indeed be on the final roster. Jets will carry four QB's.

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Meh, it was an easy one on one read with the defender giving him the sidelines.  Way better catch than throw. 

It was basically the same type of throw Geno made for his TD in week 2 of preseason. The only good throw he made the entire preseason.

1 hour ago, Kevin L said:

It could come down to Petty or 1 of the young WR's. Personally, I feel Petty's ceiling is that of a mid-tier backup, while the WR's could be starters. If I'm the GM, I don't keep a backup over a starter.

If the 53rd player is a starter then you've done something wrong. Petty is not a backup but a QB prospect. It's just my opinion, but QBs are slightly more important than 3rd string safeties, or TEs. Also more important than starting FBs that can't run, catch, or block. 

4 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

If the 53rd player is a starter then you've done something wrong. Petty is not a backup but a QB prospect. It's just my opinion, but QBs are slightly more important than 3rd string safeties, or TEs. Also more important than starting FBs that can't run, catch, or block. 

Well, you obviously have a much higher opinion of Petty than I do. If it came down to Petty or Bohannon, it's a no brainer to keep Petty. However, carrying 4 QB's probably means we can't keep all of the young WR's. So, which WR would you be comfortable cutting to make room for a developmental QB who will most likely never be a starter in this league?

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I was actually going to agree with all this but the bold isnt accurate.  He was actually starting left, coming back right and it was a DT who slipped back into coverage that fooled him.  Very common mistake for a rookie.  You dont see college teams do that very often.  Hack was doing a great job of not starting down receivers.  He was working through his progressions like a pro.  He just got caught by a play that catches damn near every young QB once or twice.  

Otherwise, you're spot on.  The most concerning position after preseason game 3, is the QB position.

Fitz has 2 weeks to figure out how to find chemistry with someone other than Brandon Marshall.  And unfortunately the schedule isnt exactly going to help him find it in game during the season.

Yeah, I wrote that before going through the film.  I think I had that Anderson incomplete pass on my mind when I wrote that.  It's a bad play, because it still reminds me of the issues we saw with Geno, and missing back end defenders.  The one good thing about the spread offense is that, it's designed to space people out so these back end guys don't have quite as much of an effect.  

This schedule to start is brutal, and it'll be interesting how we move on offense.  I'm not a big fan of Fitz, but no one else has really stepped up for us.  We have a top tier team elsewhere, but the QB spot is going to hold us back unless someone steps up.  

50 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Well, you obviously have a much higher opinion of Petty than I do. If it came down to Petty or Bohannon, it's a no brainer to keep Petty. However, carrying 4 QB's probably means we can't keep all of the young WR's. So, which WR would you be comfortable cutting to make room for a developmental QB who will most likely never be a starter in this league?

Thompkins 

12 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

That still leaves B. Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Peake, Anderson, Ross and J. Marshall with D. Smith on PUP. That's 8 WR's and 4 QB's on a 53 man roster.

I think we can gain an extra spot or two at the expense of the TE position.  Enunwa could get extensive looks lined up like a TE.  And right now, I would keep all 8 over Davis or Amaro.  

Mid forced, it would be between Ross and J. Marshall.  If Marshall is cut, hope we could get him on the PS.

Archived