Dak Prescott starting QB?

Jetster

Really? Tell me the last time a rookie took his team to the playoffs? Cowboys will have to look for a veteran or someone with at least some experience. He's looked good but it's PRESEASON. "Let's wait & see before we put him in Canton", Bill Parcells.

Dez Bryant will have a meltdown at some point this season without Romo & a rookie throwing to him, BOOK IT! Cowboys phones are burning up right since the Romo news, they have to be targeting someone, and soon. Gonna be interesting.

I hate the Cowboys so I'm getting a kick out of this.

15 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Agree they should try to trade for someone since using FA scrubs did not work out well for them last year but Romo can work with Dak and provide that vet experience, we have had worse ideas start at QB

Who can you trade for?   Any QB you bring in won't know the offense at this point.   Dallas kind of rolled the dice on a backup QB.   I think they are going with Dak, and see what happens. 

They have packages in place for him, they will run a lot out of the shotgun, which is what he and Zeke Elliot did a lot of in college.

Prescott has the luxury of the best OL in the league, one of the best RB groups in the league, the ageless, reliable Jason Witten, and one of the best big wide receivers in the game. The Cowboys will do fine on offense with Dak, who's been very poised under center.

The problem is their defense is gonna be a sieve. They literally don't have a starting defensive end. 

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Who can you trade for?   Any QB you bring in won't know the offense at this point.   Dallas kind of rolled the dice on a backup QB.   I think they are going with Dak, and see what happens. 

They have packages in place for him, they will run a lot out of the shotgun, which is what he and Zeke Elliot did a lot of in college.

Agree they do not have many options except for the same QB's we were talking about; Kap, Glennon (Foles signed elsewhere) and there have to be teams running a similar offense, Saints? 

just seems crazy to have a team with talent and no QB...  hmm sounds familiar :)

1 minute ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Agree they do not have many option except for the same QB's we were talking about; Kap, Glennon (Foles signed elsewhere) and there have to be teams running a similar offense, Saints? 

just seems crazy to have a team with talent and no QB...  hmm sounds familiar :)

99 Jets.   We gots VInny, we don't need a backup.

Paging RIck Mirer....  Paging Rick Mirer....

3 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Prescott has the luxury of the best OL in the league, one of the best RB groups in the league, the ageless, reliable Jason Witten, and one of the best big wide receivers in the game. The Cowboys will do fine on offense with Dak, who's been very poised under center.

The problem is their defense is gonna be a sieve. They literally don't have a starting defensive end. 

He's gonna get hurt & here's why. Like you said, the Cowboys defense sucks balls, which means the GREAT Cowboys Oline will be doing a LOT of pass protection & won't be able to establish a running game playing catchup all of the time. 

Sure they're good at smashing people but Romo has been hurt every year behind that supposed GREAT Oline. Starting out vs Giants & Odell, lol. Then they play Skins with a hot Cousins, Reed, Garson, Jackson.

0-2 after those 2 games, then they get Bears & 49ers. Lose just 1 of those & say sayonara to 2016,lol.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Really? Tell me the last time a rookie took his team to the playoffs? Cowboys will have to look for a veteran or someone with at least some experience. He's looked good but it's PRESEASON. "Let's wait & see before we put him in Canton", Bill Parcells.

Dez Bryant will have a meltdown at some point this season without Romo & a rookie throwing to him, BOOK IT! Cowboys phones are burning up right since the Romo news, they have to be targeting someone, and soon. Gonna be interesting.

Why should the Cowpies waste the season by bringing in a crap starter?  They've got a great OL, a great running game, and some great receivers.  Dak Prescott has looked pretty good, especially showing good poise and pretty good decision-making.  It's not like it's never been done.

In the last dozen years at least 6 rookie QBs took their teams to the play-offs:

2012 Andrew Luck (Indy) and Russell Wilson (Seattle)

2011 Andy Dalton (Cincinnati)

2009 Mark Sanchez (New York Jets)

2008 Joe Flacco (Baltimore)

2004 Ben Roethlisberger (Pittsburgh)

4 minutes ago, HDKostempski said:

Why should the Cowpies waste the season by bringing in a crap starter?  They've got a great OL, a great running game, and some great receivers.  Dak Prescott has looked pretty good, especially showing good poise and pretty good decision-making.  It's not like it's never been done.

In the last dozen years at least 6 rookie QBs took their teams to the play-offs:

+ 2012 RG3 (Redskins) if im not mistaken

21 minutes ago, Jetster said:

He's gonna get hurt & here's why. Like you said, the Cowboys defense sucks balls, which means the GREAT Cowboys Oline will be doing a LOT of pass protection & won't be able to establish a running game playing catchup all of the time. 

Sure they're good at smashing people but Romo has been hurt every year behind that supposed GREAT Oline. Starting out vs Giants & Odell, lol. Then they play Skins with a hot Cousins, Reed, Garson, Jackson.

0-2 after those 2 games, then they get Bears & 49ers. Lose just 1 of those & say sayonara to 2016,lol.

Dak Prescott just spent 4 years running like a RB in the SEC, I like his chances of staying healthy behind the best O-line in football (and it's not even close), AND Dak has already ran with the 1's multiple times this preseason, and him, and Dez seem pretty happy together, and Dez, Witten, and that running game like another poster said will make Prescott do fine, he protects the ball, has the poise, and leadership of veteran alla Russell Wilson who he was compared to coming out of college.  50% called him the next Tebow, while the other 50% called him the next Wilson albeit a 4 inch taller version, and I was really hoping the Jets drafted him.

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

they will say all the right things then trade for a guy who once backed up brady or manning

They can have Fitztragic, Geno, Petty, AND Hackenberg for Prescott. 

And the sad part is IF the Jets offered that package today the Cowboys would laugh in there face.

Just now, Larz said:

is this your first summer following an NFL team ?

Nah I've been torchered watching the Jets have no QB for the last 30 years, and really sick of watching crappie QB play, and don't see that changing in the near future with any of the 4 on the current roster, and Prescott would change that in the future IMO.

The guy has proven nothing and some Jets fans want to start him for us because he looked good in a few exhibition games. Do you know how many guys have looked good in exhibition games and had no career. Zak wasn't drafted by anyone. But I hope he does ok. He was a good Qb in college. 

6 minutes ago, HDKostempski said:

OMG! Seriously? Go back & look at the defenses the teams above trotted onto the field compared to what the Cowboys D will look like. Go back & look up the defensive rankings for all of these teams listed. Especially Sanchez, Flacco, Dalton. If your going to tell me based on a couple of preseason games that Dak Prescott will have the success of Luck, Big Ben or RG3, I'm willing to bet money, good money, that your absolutely dreaming when the bulletts start flying 2nd week of September. Plus Cowboys are in a very competitive division. This is Jets 1999 all over again. Can you say EMPTY COWBOYS STADIUM? Jones boys can put lipstick on this pig to the media but this is gonna end very, very badly this year. Losing & the pressure that comes with it in today's NFL is multiplied, especially in places like Dallas where "THIS IS OUR YEAR", has been spouted forever now.

Its gonna get ugly in big D very quickly, especially after they lose the 1st two & are in a MUST WIN vs crazy Cutler dicing up their non existent pass rush or secondary. Telling you right now, that 3rd game is already a MUST WIN FOR DALLAS! Because they are NOT beating either the Giants (Damon "snacks" Harrison says "no,no" to Elliott), and Kirk Cousins goes over 400 yards & 3 TDs in the 2nd game. BOOK IT!

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

OMG! Seriously? Go back & look at the defenses the teams above trotted onto the field compared to what the Cowboys D will look like. Go back & look up the defensive rankings for all of these teams listed. Especially Sanchez, Flacco, Dalton. If your going to tell me based on a couple of preseason games that Dak Prescott will have the success of Luck, Big Ben or RG3, I'm willing to bet money, good money, that your absolutely dreaming when the bulletts start flying 2nd week of September. Plus Cowboys are in a very competitive division. This is Jets 1999 all over again. Can you say EMPTY COWBOYS STADIUM? Jones boys can put lipstick on this pig to the media but this is gonna end very, very badly this year. Losing & the pressure that comes with it in today's NFL is multiplied, especially in places like Dallas where "THIS IS OUR YEAR", has been spouted forever now.

Its gonna get ugly in big D very quickly, especially after they lose the 1st two & are in a MUST WIN vs crazy Cutler dicing up their non existent pass rush or secondary. Telling you right now, that 3rd game is already a MUST WIN FOR DALLAS! Because they are NOT beating either the Giants (Damon "snacks" Harrison says "no,no" to Elliott), and Kirk Cousins goes over 400 yards & 3 TDs in the 2nd game. BOOK IT!

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The guy has proven nothing and some Jets fans want to start him for us because he looked good in a few exhibition games. Do you know how many guys have looked good in exhibition games and had no career. Zak wasn't drafted by anyone. But I hope he does ok. He was a good Qb in college. 

I get being skeptical, and you guys probably don't know much about Prescott other then what has been reported about him during the preseason, and say it means nothing.  But soon you will see, Prescott has that "IT" factor an NFL QB needs, and he won't wilt under the pressure, will stay poised, and is fortunate enough to be surrounded by possibly the best O minus QB in football.  Cowboys will be competitive, and IF they do go down the drain it will be because of the defense, Prescott won't be the reason IMO.

If Prescott starts and Trevor Simien starts it means that two guys who were under the radar as far as NFL scouts and FOs have gone to the next level and gotten a chance to be NFL starting Qbs. I mean Romo was with the Cowboys for several years before he became their starter. I think some of the critieria in drafting Qbs high isn't always sure fire proof they are going to be good and it looks like the two top guys aren't going to be named as their team's starters. Last year they were and both guys actually performed well. 

I usually don't buy into the pre season but I watched Dak against Miami and he was very impressive and poised, he looked like a 3rd year starter. He had a confidence about him that stood out.I will reserve judgment until I seem him play in at least 4 regular season games when teams get tape on him.

I was against taking Dak I didn't want him at all. I was on the Lynch bandwagon, so I am not being biased. The only thing I care about is Hack turning into our franchise QB. 

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Nah I've been torchered watching the Jets have no QB for the last 30 years, and really sick of watching crappie QB play, and don't see that changing in the near future with any of the 4 on the current roster, and Prescott would change that in the future IMO.

I remember how awesome nagle looked in the summer, good times

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I get being skeptical, and you guys probably don't know much about Prescott other then what has been reported about him during the preseason, and say it means nothing.  But soon you will see, Prescott has that "IT" factor an NFL QB needs, and he won't wilt under the pressure, will stay poised, and is fortunate enough to be surrounded by possibly the best O minus QB in football.  Cowboys will be competitive, and IF they do go down the drain it will be because of the defense, Prescott won't be the reason IMO.

Hey, I'm not here saying he won't turn into a great QB someday, who the hell knows? I'm just telling you that no one game plans in the preseason, well, Rex might, but for the most part it's PRACTICE!

Im just telling you that the Cowboys defense might just be WORSE this year starting out than last year, so, with the Giants (Boys have no one that can cover Odell), Skins (talk about weapons! Garson, Jackson & Reed), unless the Cowpokes can play with some leads, Teams will be blitzing the sh*t out of this kid trying to bring his team back from deficits. Also when your defense is bad, your offensive field position also suffers. Rookies playing catchup from their own goal posts is assuredly a turnover waiting to happen. I'm always here, so if I'm wrong I'll take the heat. I'm pretty confident though that the Cowpokes are already done in 2016. Start shoveling the dirt on em.

7 hours ago, Jetster said:

Tell me the last time a rookie took his team to the playoffs?

Not only has it happened a number of times in the last decade, it is possible that it could happen for multiple teams this season.  The NFC East isn't exactly a bunch of world beaters this season, and Denver could be starting a rookie with an amazing defense to help.

9 hours ago, Jetster said:

Luck

RGIII

Wilson

Kirk Cousins too if you count the games he subbed in for.

All took their respective teams to the playoffs, so it hasn't exactly been an eternity.  

I liked Dak.  Thought he was stupid to get a DUI right before the draft, but I still liked him. Not gonna change my opinion because he's not here.  I think he's honestly going to be fine with the offensive talent they have and that O-Line. Don't know why Dez would rage quit.  He looked pretty happy catching a bomb from him in the preseason. Plus, a simple glance at Dez's Twitter account will actually tell you he really believes that Dak Prescott is legit and will do just fine. 

9 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

+ 2012 RG3 (Redskins) if im not mistaken

You are correct.  I forgot about him.  There have been at least 7, including 3 in a single season.

9 hours ago, Jetster said:

I didn't say that Dallas would be successful, ie, make the playoffs.  Somebody asked when was the last time a team with a rookie QB made the playoffs, so I answered.  In fact, I missed one.  Having watched Prescott play in the preseason, I think he might very well be a future starter.   What's the worst that Dallas can do with Prescott while waiting for Romo to return?  0-6?  0-10?  So, how many games would they win with some veteran like Cassel or Sanchez (assuming he gets cut by Denver)?  I figure two or three at best.  They're better off giving the rookie the starting experience since he has upside.

8 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

If Prescott starts and Trevor Simien starts it means that two guys who were under the radar as far as NFL scouts and FOs have gone to the next level and gotten a chance to be NFL starting Qbs. I mean Romo was with the Cowboys for several years before he became their starter. I think some of the critieria in drafting Qbs high isn't always sure fire proof they are going to be good and it looks like the two top guys aren't going to be named as their team's starters. Last year they were and both guys actually performed well. 

Tyrod Taylor also came out of nowhere last season to do really well, too.   Maybe the recent success of some of these QBs who didn't "measure up" to the NFL's perfect physical QB specimen scoring sheet will convince FOs to look at football smarts, leadership, willingness to learn etc.   Height and a big arm do not necessarily a great NFL QB make, but that's who gets drafted in the first round.  Meanwhile, talented young QBs who are too short, who attended less well-regarded programs, who might be victims of team politics, etc barely get opportunities.  However, enough of them have done well in the NFL in the last 15 years or so, and especially in the last 5 years,that maybe smart teams will start paying attention to those kids they draft late or sign as UDFAs rather than just dismiss them as nothing more than backups.

32 minutes ago, HDKostempski said:

Tyrod Taylor also came out of nowhere last season to do really well, too.   Maybe the recent success of some of these QBs who didn't "measure up" to the NFL's perfect physical QB specimen scoring sheet will convince FOs to look at football smarts, leadership, willingness to learn etc.   Height and a big arm do not necessarily a great NFL QB make, but that's who gets drafted in the first round.  Meanwhile, talented young QBs who are too short, who attended less well-regarded programs, who might be victims of team politics, etc barely get opportunities.  However, enough of them have done well in the NFL in the last 15 years or so, and especially in the last 5 years,that maybe smart teams will start paying attention to those kids they draft late or sign as UDFAs rather than just dismiss them as nothing more than backups.

Right now it looks like twelve non 1st round draft picks will be starting Qbs. Some of the first rounders like Gabbert and RG3 are not with their original teams and considered poor draft picks. Both guys trying to resurrect their careers. 

Archived