Official Cuts Thread

CrazyCarl40

Helva Matungulu, Defensive End

• Jesse Davis, Offensive Lineman

• Terry Williams, Running Back

• Ross Martin, Kicker: Martin struggled in the Jets first two preseason games. He missed two field goals and one point after attempt. He did connect on a 55-yard field goal against the Giants on Saturday. 

• Jason Vander Laan, Tight End: A college quarterback, Vander Laan flashed several times for the Jets in training camp. He's considered a practice squad candidate, NJ Advance Media was told. 

• Kyle Friend, Center

• Jarvis Harrison, Guard: A fifth-round pick by the Jets in 2015, Harrison struggled as a rookie, and failed to impress the coaches this summer. He had been working with the second team during training camp and the first two preseason games. 

• Kyle Williams, Receiver: Williams signed with the Jets this offseason and was expected to bring depth both as a receiver and in the return game. When healthy, Williams has looked good, but he's missed a string of practices the last two weeks with a knee issue. 

3 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Guessing the last 6 will be......FB Julain Howsare, RB Dominique Williams,  RB Leche Sisteunk, DL Jake Ceresna, CB Kevin Short.....and....maybe....TE Wes Saxton 

do we have to cut 6 more by Tuesday? i guess the 53 is the following saturday?

who are we keeping at WR? i think it might be Peake (PS?) and Thompkins that go. Ross may have won himself a job yesterday. Can we keep 7 receivers and 4 QB's?

Marshall B

Decker

Peake

Anderson

Enunwa

Ross

Thompkins

Marshall J

Devin Smith

http://m.newyorkjets.com/news/article-9/Jets-Release-11-Place-Devin-Smith-on-PUP-List/6f800d0a-1d49-4460-80a4-37be8440e361

The Jets reduced their roster to 78 today, releasing 11 players and placing WR Devin Smithicon-article-link.gif on the Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) List. All NFL teams must reduce their roster to a maximum of 75 by 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, August 30.

The complete list of today's player moves:

OL Jesse Davisicon-article-link.gif, C Kyle Friendicon-article-link.gif, G Jarvis Harrisonicon-article-link.gif
The 6'6", 309-pound Davis signed with the Jets in January after the Idaho product participated in the Seahawks training camp last summer. Friend, an undrafted free agent from Temple, appeared in 43 games for the Owls and made 41 starts. A fifth-round pick of the Jets in 2015, Harrison was waived last November and later re-joined the team as a member of the practice squad.

OLB Deion Barnesicon-article-link.gif, DT Shelby Harrisicon-article-link.gif, DE Helva Matunguluicon-article-link.gif
Barnes, who had two tackles in preseason action, came to the Jets in 2015 as an undrafted free agent from Penn State and was signed to the team's practice squad last September. The 6'2", 290-pound Harris signed in June after playing in eight games the past two seasons with the Raiders while recording 14 tackles and his first pro sack. Matungulu, an undrafted free agent from Western Carolina, collected 53 tackles, three sacks and seven TFL from 2013-15.

RBs Lache Seastrunkicon-article-link.gif and Terry Williamsicon-article-link.gif, WR Kyle Williamsicon-article-link.gif, TE Jason Vander Laanicon-article-link.gif
A  sixth-round selection (No. 186 overall) by Washington in the 2014 draft, Seastrunk signed with the Jets earlier this month. Terry Williams, a rookie who scored 14 total touchdowns at Kutztown his senior season, had two carries in preseason action. Kyle Williams, a 5'10", 186-pounder in his sixth professional season, was a tryout player during the team's minicamp and originally signed in June.  Vander Laan, who became the first player in NCAA history to pass and run for 1,000 yards in four consecutive seasons while leading Ferris State to a 37-9 record, was making the pro transition to tight end.

Ross Martinicon-article-link.gif
One of three players in ACC history with 400-plus points, Martin connected on four of his six field goal attempts in the preseason including a 55-yarder Saturday night vs. the Giants.

Devin Smith to PUP. 

42 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Past regimes wouldn't have had the balls. This regime seems more like the Pats, doesn't matter where you were drafted... once you suit up, you either learn your job and do it, or part ways. 

Just now, Sarge4Tide said:

Might be Watts vs Dakota Dozier for a roster spot

agree and if it's just on preseason game 3, Watts was better. He does have gameday experience with Chargers. If Dozier can beat out Wes Johnson maybe he can make the team at C. 

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Craig Watts might not make this team, but if he does it will because he took the spot they were hoping to use on Jarvis Harrison. 

I like Watts to make the 53, personally.  Been high on him since watching him on film and talking to his college HC.

23 minutes ago, Jethead said:

I predict we IR Devin Smith.

Or PUP. Not sure what the rules are to put a player on PUP. I'd like Smith to come back but I'd much rather save that IR spot for a possible starter down the road. PUP would mean 6 wks break for Smith, enough time for him to heal I'm guessing. 

3 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Or PUP. Not sure what the rules are to put a player on PUP. I'd like Smith to come back but I'd much rather save that IR spot for a possible starter down the road. PUP would mean 6 wks break for Smith, enough time for him to heal I'm guessing. 

No limit to ir list that I know of. Pup means after 6 weeks Smith is either activated or goes on ir

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

No limit to ir list that I know of. Pup means after 6 weeks Smith is either activated or goes on ir

I know there isn't a limit, but Smith is expected back this year and no way I'd want him to be the guy to come off IR (only one player can come back from IR and no need to do an "IR Designated To Return" this year). 

Just now, j4jets said:

I know there isn't a limit, but Smith is expected back this year and no way I'd want him to be the guy to come off IR (only one player can come back from IR, that's the limit). 

oh, ok.  why not ?  he had a shaky rookie year but a lot of WR's do.  we may really need him back for the SB run ;-)

5 hours ago, Larz said:

oh, ok.  why not ?  he had a shaky rookie year but a lot of WR's do.  we may really need him back for the SB run ;-)

We have a franchise record setting QB returning so we might as well book our tickets to the SB. 

On 8/28/2016 at 5:23 PM, j4jets said:

On 8/28/2016 at 5:29 PM, j4jets said:

I know there isn't a limit, but Smith is expected back this year and no way I'd want him to be the guy to come off IR (only one player can come back from IR and no need to do an "IR Designated To Return" this year). 

On 8/28/2016 at 5:27 PM, Larz said:

I think if he goes to IR, he has to clear waivers.  Saw that the Pats pulled Tyler Gaffney, RB from the Carolina panthers in 2014 after a season ending injury. Gaffney will be in the mix with Dion Lewis done for the year.

Archived