Gino or Petty to Dallas

shrekman1

On 8/28/2016 at 11:44 AM, CrazyCarl40 said:

I actually think that Broncos are going to cut Sanchez and he ends up in Dallas. 

Sanchez without the wind and elements factor, could actually do better than expected. Remember how horribly he played during windy games compared to calmer games? He could never adjust.

On 8/28/2016 at 11:16 AM, shrekman1 said:

With Dallas needing a backup QB, i can see us trading Gino or Petty for a draft pick. I believe Gino would command a higher pick. Thoughts? 

Denver is trying to trade Sanchez as well.

Candidates for Geno or Sanchez would be

Dallas

San Fran

Minnesota

Giants

I'm sure I'm missing 1 or 2 teams that have ? at the backup QB position.

Kaepernick is possibly getting cut too but not sure what team would be willing to put up with that spotlight right now

On 8/28/2016 at 1:39 PM, ChuckkieB said:

I can't see how ANY team would think that Geno Smith can somehow help them as a starter. If the Cowboys get super desperate, then the Jets should take full advantage IMO.   

This wouldn't be for starter, but just an experienced backup role with Dallas.  the 'boys are all in on Dak

1 hour ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Denver is trying to trade Sanchez as well.

Candidates for Geno or Sanchez would be

Dallas

San Fran

Minnesota

Giants

I'm sure I'm missing 1 or 2 teams that have ? at the backup QB position.

Kaepernick is possibly getting cut too but not sure what team would be willing to put up with that spotlight right now

Kap to Denver would make sense

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Kap to Denver would make sense

Gino to Denver seems like a good fit. Gino does have a strong arm to deal with the windy stadium. He needs a fresh start. One year on the contract, seems like a good fit. Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, shrekman1 said:

Gino to Denver seems like a good fit. Gino does have a strong arm to deal with the windy stadium. He needs a fresh start. One year on the contract, seems like a good fit. Thoughts?

What Elway needs is a starter not another mediocre Qb. So I don't think Gino goes to Denver but you're right in that he needs a new location. Dallas would be a better situation and he might get to play there if Prescott isn't as good regular season as he was during pre-season. And there's a very good chance of that happening. It does seem that the Jones's are kind of ticked off at Romo for getting hurt again. Didn't Stephen Jones say something today to the extent that if Prescott is good he might keep the job. 

On 8/28/2016 at 0:34 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

That's an offer that's never going to happen and a trade that's never going to happen. Cuts are coming. The Cowboys are likely to have their choice of QBs to back up Dak for 6 weeks. 

Agreed. There will be a host of QB's out there shortly. Prescott looks good and it wouldn't be the first time a team goes with a rookie. Bortles, Winston, Mariota. I've watched the Dallas preseason games and I'm pretty impressed with Dak. He's a gamer that might surprise alot of people, however he is a rookie and could use another year in the system. Can't see the Jets dumping Petty or Hack. Should see alot of playing time this week. Geno is the odd man out if they keep only 3 QB's.

On 8/28/2016 at 5:19 PM, Rangers9 said:

I'd say Geno. Because they don't want two guys who've never started. But I can see them getting someone else like maybe Mark Sanchez. 

But we'd give away the only guy WITH experience in order to provide Dallas with it?

Not saying ur wrong, but the explanation works both ways. 

We'll have Petty as the #2 and Hack who showed that he has no business on the field this year. 

10 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

But we'd give away the only guy WITH experience in order to provide Dallas with it?

We'll have Petty as the #2 and Hack who showed that he has no business on the field this year. 

Personally I'd take Geno over Petty. But if we get compensation and the CS thinks it's pretty even or a plus for Petty at least we get a draft pick. 

45 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Fitz has experience. The Cowboys have no one with experience. At least that'd be my selling point. Personally I think Geno's experience has ruined him the same way it did Sanchez.

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Fitz has experience. The Cowboys have no one with experience. At least that'd be my selling point. Personally I think Geno's experience has ruined him the same way it did Sanchez.

Fitz has experience, but it takes one terrible slide (Raiders game) to change that entire situation. 

I totally understand the Cowboys position, but we seen a team like the Bucs refuse to trade Mike Glennon because of the game experience he has, even when deciding to make Winston the starter. 

Generally us fans either talk about or agree with the notion that "Back up QB's are almost as valuable as starters these days" with a team like the Bucs supporting that notion through their own action. Yet the Jets would trade a guy that has 30 games of experience and leave themselves with a starter on a 1 year deal, Petty that only has preseason experience mostly against 3rd string talent and a rookie who we could make an argument was drafted way too high, virtually no reps in training camp and couldnt get preseason action until week 3? 

Im not saying that Geno wont be traded and im not arguing for him to stay. I personally think that Geno needs a new environment in order to reset his career, but with that said. The Jets....OUR TEAM would be in a terrible position if they traded Geno Smith to the Cowboys. 

Sure, we like the progress Petty has shown, but most of the talks on Petty has been a bit exaggerated given the dislike of Geno Smith. Petty's stats against mostly 3rd stringers and guys who wont even make the cut for their team isnt overwhelmingly impressive. He's completed just over half of his passes in the combined 3 games.

28 Comp-50 Att, 2 TD's- 1 INT, 6 sacks, 2 fumbles. 

Bryce Petty has shown development, anyone pretending like he hasnt would be a fool to say it. But I would be nervous to make this guy the #2 at this point in time...especially knowing that we're one bad hit away from Hackenberg being the starter. 

Though I would generally not like to see the Jets hold 4 QB's given that we will have to cut a guy somewhere on the roster that was worth being on the 53, I'd rather have 4 QB's than to just trade Geno Smith because its Geno Smith. Fans dont like him, but he hasnt been an issue amongst the team. Atleast we know what we have with Geno. I have no clue what Bryce is. If Bryce was playing like Dak then I would say "sure, lets roll", but when you complete 3 passes over 50% completions, 6 sacks and 2 fumbles in 3 games against that level of competition, along with not having any starting level games to refer back to (such as Geno Smith) I'd rather not wreck his already established development by putting him in a situation to back up an injury prone QB that has multiple years where he couldnt complete the season due to injury. 

Thats a risky game to play imo. 

Archived