Jets cut Linebacker Deion Barnes

JetNation

The undrafted Barnes stuck on the Jets practice squad in 2015.

By Glenn Naughton

With player cuts set to start rolling in over the next couple of days, news of the first casualty today came from the twitter account of linebacker Deion Barnes who was let go by the Jets.

This is a somewhat surprising move for a young player who showed promise last pre-season and stuck with the team’s practice squad before coming in to this year with a chance to crack the 53-man roster due to a lack of established veterans at the position.

In his 53-man roster projection, ESPN New York’s Rich Cimini had Barnes making the roster and you could hardly blame him given his youth, familiarity with the Jets’ system, and a lack of established linebackers on the roster.

Barnes was an undrafted free agent out of Penn State University.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
GgBrGgxqIyo

Click here to read the full story...

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

If Martin kicked in games the way he did in practice over the first couple weeks, he would've pushed Folk, but as they say..."let's see what he does when the lights come on" and he was pretty bad before last night.  I'd expect him to catch on somewhere though.

Vander Laan's best shot was as a developmental guy on the PS.

Jets cuts so far today:

• Deion Barnes, Linebacker
  • Helva Matungulu, Defensive End
  • Jesse Davis, Offensive Lineman
  • Terry Williams, Running Back
  • Ross Martin, Kicker
  • Jason Vander Laan, Tight End

Edit:  2 more cuts.  A bit surprised they are giving up on Harrison already.

• Kyle Friend, Center
  • Jarvis Harrison, Guard

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Jets cuts so far today:

• Deion Barnes, Linebacker
  • Helva Matungulu, Defensive End
  • Jesse Davis, Offensive Lineman
  • Terry Williams, Running Back
  • Ross Martin, Kicker
  • Jason Vander Laan, Tight End

How many more to go until 53? Surprised to see Ross Martin go. He scored a 55 yarder last night.

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If Martin kicked in games the way he did in practice over the first couple weeks, he would've pushed Folk, but as they say..."let's see what he does when the lights come on" and he was pretty bad before last night.  I'd expect him to catch on somewhere thought.

Vander Laan's best shot was as a developmental guy on the PS.

Yup, I thought Martin had a shot during camp, he seemed to be hitting everything in practice, but 3 bad misses in the preseason and his fate was sealed. 

No surprises so far.  Harrison had to go, he was a bad pick and was running behind Ijalana and Qvale at RT.  Kyle Friend was doomed by the really solid play of Johnson and Dozier at backup center. Jesse Davis got very few snaps this preseason.  Matangulu really didn't play well when he had a chance - fellow UDFAs Lawrence Thomas and Claude Pelon looked much better. Martin still has a chance to be an NFL kicker someday.  Terry Williams was always just a camp body, might see 1 or 2 more RBs gone this week.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I try to remember that every one of these cuts is someone life dream dying.

I wish them all the best.

yes absolutely...easy to forget that even the first guys cut are amazing athletes...this is a HIGHLY competitive league with a short shelf life.  :-/   these were all expected cuts however.   Rich Cimini had Barnes making the team a few weeks ago...shows how much he really knows.  All these reporters are annoying for the most part.  

yes absolutely...easy to forget that even the first guys cut are amazing athletes...this is a HIGHLY competitive league with a short shelf life.  :-/   these were all expected cuts however.   Rich Cimini had Barnes making the team a few weeks ago...shows how much he really knows.  All these reporters are annoying for the most part.  

No. Barnes was a reasonable call heading into TC - he had a leg up from being in the system for a year. He just got outplayed by other guys

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Archived