Non-Jet Cuts

jamesr

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always look for teams that cut players at positions where they are really deep.  For instance, the Raiders are super deep at WR, the Pats are deep at TE, the Rams along the D line etc.   You can often find real gems there.

The general exception is OL, secondary and QB where teams tend to keep most of their talent, b/c its so scarce in the league.

45 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Whether its him or someone like him the Jets should be searching for O-Lineman. That right side is not very good. I'd take a flyer on Schwartz and stick him at RG.

Agreed, some of our starters are not great and out depth is just bad.

On 8/30/2016 at 1:31 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

The Terrance Knighton cut by the Pats was interesting, especially this early in the cut period .

Knighton was just not playing well in what little we saw of him.  His main claim to fame was he was supposed to be able to anchor the middle on run defense, but he was being handled 1 on 1 by lesser offensive linemen.  A couple of the young DL were clearly outperforming him in camp and the first couple preseason games.

On August 30, 2016 at 2:31 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

The Terrance Knighton cut by the Pats was interesting, especially this early in the cut period .  I remember when people were freaking out that Snacks left for the Giants.  Meanwhile many failed to recognize how much the NT position is getting de-valued league wide.  Knighton was a former 3rd round pick and was still considered one of the game's best NT's, yet only spent 1 year with Washington, signed with NE for a little over $2M and is now unemployed again. 

You want to run a 3-4 defense , you have to have a Nt.(the most important positions in that defense.( so I don't know if I agree with your point). 

Terrance Knighton biggest mistake was letting contract negotiations become personal.     No coach understood Terrance Knighton better than Jack Delrio .(only coach he payed for  in his career before 2015 - played his best football for )   The Joke was where ever Delrio ended up , that's where Knighton would end up. ( he followed him to every job) . So when Knighton was a free agent and Delrio got the Raiders job,  it was considered a slam dunk he would be a Raider.

Delrio knew Knighton better than anyone, was leery of giving him big money, and not having a lot of weight clauses tied to that contract through out the year.    Knighton thought he deserved big money , and wasn't happy with the Raiders initial offer , and the weight conditions .   He took it personally , and publicly said the Raiders were out of the running  , for a team  he would play for. So he eliminated a team( Raiders)  with a need( run stuffing Nt) and with a lot cash to play with in Fa.   Raiders signed Dan Williams instead.( to big contract)

So now he was stuck , really no team with a big need at Nt and with cash.   He had to settle for one year cheap contract with Washington. Sure enough without those weight clauses in his contract , he lost his effectiveness as the season went on.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Texans waived WR Wendall Williams, G/T Jeff Adams, OT Andrew McDonald, OG Karim Barton, DB Robert Nelson, WR Quenton Bundrage, C Dalton Freeman, TE Anthony Denham, and LB Eric Lee.

Any of those OL worth a damn?  Definitely going to the biggest position for the Jets to watch.  Obviously Freeman wouldn't be of interest, considering the Jets kicked him to the curb last year.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Any of those OL worth a damn?  Definitely going to the biggest position for the Jets to watch.  Obviously Freeman wouldn't be of interest, considering the Jets kicked him to the curb last year.

no, i was just trying to keep the thread current... then realized 700+ players are going to get cut, and it's impossible. :)

It should be possible to upgrade one or even two of the deep spots on the OLine with some of the cuts that may come from teams like Cincy, Dallas, etc. who are loaded on the OLine.

I'd be shocked if the Jets didn't pick up at least 1 offensive lineman from another team in the coming week.

We could really use a lightning bolt of good luck like when the Cardinals released Pete Kendall and he became a starting OG for the Jets for several years!

Just now, jetstream23 said:

It should be possible to upgrade one or even two of the deep spots on the OLine with some of the cuts that may come from teams like Cincy, Dallas, etc. who are loaded on the OLine.

I'd be shocked if the Jets didn't pick up at least 1 offensive lineman from another team in the coming week.

We could really use a lightning bolt of good luck like when the Cardinals released Pete Kendall and he became a starting OG for the Jets for several years!

This.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

See?  Someone can out suck us in the 2nd round pick debacles.

Nah, I think the Jets have them beat.  They had 3 straight years of finding a player in the 2nd round (Sen'Derick Marks, Zach Brown and Akeem Ayers) and I just cant imagine them not getting their value out of Derrick Henry.

Unfortunately I think the Jets hold the crown for worst 2nd round drafters. 

Just now, JiF said:

Nah, I think the Jets have them beat.  They had 3 straight years of finding a player in the 2nd round (Sen'Derick Marks, Zach Brown and Akeem Ayers) and I just cant imagine them not getting their value out of Derrick Henry.

Hackengburg.....burg......burg....burg.....

1 minute ago, JiF said:

The Jets have the worst 2nd round draft pick record in professional sports.

Archived