Devin Smith to PUP list

JetNation

Devin Smith

By Glenn Naughton

With a plethora of young talent at the wide receiver position, the Jets have place last season’s second-round draft choice Devin Smith on the PUP (Physically Unable to Perform) list.

Rehabbing a ACL tear that he suffered last season, the soonest Jets fans will see Smith this season in week 7.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
aOWIMUkuC6Y

Click here to read the full story...

40 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He wont contribute this year.  Hes got the offseason and training camp next year to prove something or hes getting cut.  

This is the reality of the NFL. He had a shot last year, struggled a little and got hurt. He is definitely going to have to work hard to get another shot. Gone are the days of Stephen Hill being penciled in as a starter because there is no depth.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

If any one of the guys we keep, Anderson, Peake, Marshall, Ross shine Smith will be moved to IR & have to compete next year for a roster spot vs some very talented WRs.

That's what actually makes this PUP situation a pretty good one for the Jets.  It will provide at least one other young guy, who would have had more trouble making the team, with a chance early in the season.  It's too early to be calling this entire season lost for Smith, because as much as we all want to think otherwise, we can't be sure that all of these young guys will show that they can contribute once regular season comes around.  Between that, and of course the constant risk of injuries, having the ability to reevaluate Smith later is definitely a positive.  If everyone is healthy and playing great when that time comes, then they can move Smith over to IR, but no reason to rush it.

I don't want to see Jalin Marshall, Charone Peake, or Robby Anderson, cut because we spent a 2nd last year on Smith. These three guys have flashed more in Pre-season that this kid has ever done for the Jets. Personally I think he may be gone next year, if these guys continue to perform. Not a good pick.

1 minute ago, BurnleyJet said:

I don't want to see Jalin Marshall, Charone Peake, or Robby Anderson, cut because we spent a 2nd last year on Smith. These three guys have flashed more in Pre-season that this kid has ever done for the Jets. Personally I think he may be gone next year, if these guys continue to perform. Not a good pick.

Amaro, Smith, Hill...some second round doozies. Hackenberg too.

9 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

They won't be

Devin Smith is Macc's Geno. A guy who has all the physical talent to be great but questionable mental skills for the position. Unlike Geno, however, he has a much greater injury risk (obviously). It was a reasonable gamble in the second round but unfortunately one that, like Geno, isn't turning out to be a success. 

41 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Agreed.  It was a head scratcher for me when it happened...didnt think he was near the best WR on the board.  If Anderson wasnt to make the team because of Smith, I'd be furious.  One kid has earned it, the other, not so much.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  It was a head scratcher for me when it happened...didnt think he was near the best WR on the board.  If Anderson wasnt to make the team because of Smith, I'd be furious.  One kid has earned it, the other, not so much.

Smith is Dog S""", He plays slow, looks scared, brought in to stretch the field, I see not of the positives he was drafted for. The Rookies look like nothing I've ever seen, i.e We have 3 young guys who are rookies and all can play, "I'm I watching the Jets?"

5 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Smith is Dog S""", He plays slow, looks scared, brought in to stretch the field, I see not of the positives he was drafted for. The Rookies look like nothing I've ever seen, i.e We have 3 young guys who are rookies and all can play, "I'm I watching the Jets?"

He runs in a straight line fast

11 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I think you are way off and being unreasonable critical of this kid. 

He is way more than just someone who can run really fast in a straight line. You watch him at Ohio State with Cardale Jones throwing him the ball and its obvious all he needs is a big arm QB to NOT underthrow him- he has an uncanny ability to adjust to the deep ball and make the catch. But he is not the type of WR that can outjump a CB and take the ball away from them on an underthrown deep ball. If anything, you gotta overthrow him, and Fitz is simply not able to do that. 

Even last year when it was obvious the deep throws were not working with Fitz, he adjusted and started making some plays uderneath. The kid has good hands and can make plays. Its a shame he got injured and was not able to practice this offseason- I think the hungry young WR depth would have really pushed him this offseason.    

I think Smith comes back next year and proves to be a valuable weapon at WR.  

5 minutes ago, PepPep said:

He is way more than just someone who can run really fast in a straight line. You watch him at Ohio State with Cardale Jones throwing him the ball and its obvious all he needs is a big arm QB to NOT underthrow him- he has an uncanny ability to adjust to the deep ball and make the catch. But he is not the type of WR that can outjump a CB and take the ball away from them on an underthrown deep ball. If anything, you gotta overthrow him, and Fitz is simply not able to do that. 

Even last year when it was obvious the deep throws were not working with Fitz, he adjusted and started making some plays uderneath. The kid has good hands and can make plays. Its a shame he got injured and was not able to practice this offseason- I think the hungry young WR depth would have really pushed him this offseason.    

I say he never plays another snap with the Jets. 

6 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Yeah but that's basically why college football and the NFL are so different. 

NCAA is all about talent disparity. Some teams amass far greater talent than others. WRs often outperform CBs substantially, where CBs are often the bottom rung WRs who were good enough to make the team but not good enough to make it as a WR. Obviously a fast guy like D. Smith can tear past many college CBs and catch long passes chucked long and far where the WR has time to separate from the CB and get under the ball. That's especially true when you have Ohio State playing Southeastern Garbage State half the season. 

I disagree he has good hands--look at those college plays. Lots of double catches and trapping the ball against his body. He needs work on his catching and ability to play against physical CBs. I think he could develop but he's going to have to stay injury-free long enough to get the practice time.

Fitz throws an absolutely horrible deep ball. He's gotta put everything he has into it. Meanwhile you watch Petty & Hack just flicking it. Let's put it this way so younger Jets fans can understand you can't call Devin Smith a bust yet. Go to You tube & watch some Kenny O'Brien to Wesley Walker TDs. Wesley Walker would have been useless playing with Ryan Fitzpatrick, utterly useless. So, don't bury poor Devin just yet until with we sort out our future QB woes.

10 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Fitz throws an absolutely horrible deep ball. He's gotta put everything he has into it. Meanwhile you watch Petty & Hack just flicking it. Let's put it this way so younger Jets fans can understand you can't call Devin Smith a bust yet. Go to You tube & watch some Kenny O'Brien to Wesley Walker TDs. Wesley Walker would have been useless playing with Ryan Fitzpatrick, utterly useless. So, don't bury poor Devin just yet until with we sort out our future QB woes.

Miss those deep throws to walker and toon. 

Archived