Cimini is 100% right on Geno playing on Thurs

AFJF

Can't paste whole article but can link the tweet.

I thought the same exact thing when I heard Bowles' presser yesterday.  You don't even consider playing your no. 2 QB in PS game no. 4 if you're carrying 4.

Jets are either still split on Geno vs Petty, or showcasing Geno.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they still have not 100% made up their mind about the backup spot, unless some team offers up better than expected trade value for petty/geno.  I see Petty and smith getting about equal time and hackenburg time as well.  Not sure why the backup playing in the final game is viewed as some big deal, it isn't

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I think they still have not 100% made up their mind about the backup spot, unless some team offers up better than expected trade value for petty/geno.  I see Petty and smith getting about equal time and hackenburg time as well.  Not sure why the backup playing in the final game is viewed as some big deal, it isn't

I don't think they've decided either.  

I also think it's a big deal because you have a starter with a history of getting dinged up but considering exposing his backup to injury despite having two young guys behind him who can use the reps.

Just now, AFJF said:

I also think it's a big deal because you have a starter with a history of getting dinged up but considering exposing his backup to injury despite having two young guys behind him who can use the reps.

i don't know what they can deduce by watching geno play vs. the eagles scrubs.  

So much for being the back up in the dress rehearsal.  Geno is bye bye.

This is kind of stupid though.  Much rather Petty and Hack get the reps.  Give Petty the experience of preparing for a game as a starter.  Nobody is looking at game 4 in the preseason to determine whether they want to sign a player or not.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Well, if he plays as poorly against the Eagles scrubs as he did against all the other scrubs he's faced this preseason (53% comp pct and 62 QBR) they may decide to cut bait.

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Well, if he plays as poorly against the Eagles scrubs as he did against all the other scrubs he's faced this preseason (53% comp pct and 62 QBR) they may decide to cut bait.

they shouldn't need this game to decide.  it's more like they're sending a message to him, to see if he can elevate his game.  it seems as if geno assumed the backup job was automatic and that he believed he was closer to fitz than petty.

17 minutes ago, AFJF said:

This only seems like an issue imo because we are carrying 4 guys.  Most teams are going to play their 2nd stringer, the 2nd stringers have to get ready for the season as well.

39 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i understand it if they're showcasing him but it's kindofa no win.  if he plays well so what it's against scrubs.  if he doesn't play well it's worse.

Let's face it even WITH Geno the Jets are toast if Fitz goes down for a lengthy period so why not give the young guys better reps and just get rid of a guy who simply doesn't fit in and has looked awful. If Fitz goes down Geno is NOT going to make the team any better than if Petty had to come in. Petty throws a better deep ball and sees more poised than Geno. I would cut him.

25 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Plenty of folks around here want Petty to be the backup based on how he played against scrubs.

Geno will play but not very much. I think the Jets have pretty much decided on Geno but I really have no clue on what that decision is. I've been leaning towards the Jets keeping 4 but have gone back and forth recently due to Hack/Petty's promising play and Geno's underwhelming play. 

Can't wait to see the Hack attack! I think his confidence will be up, his nerves down and he will get more time to get settled in as he will play more than last game.  

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This only seems like an issue imo because we are carrying 4 guys.  Most teams are going to play their 2nd stringer, the 2nd stringers have to get ready for the season as well.

Exactly.  If Geno was clear-cut no. 2, he's got 29 starts under his belt.  The guys behind him have zero.  No reason to give him reps Petty and Hack can use.

Geno may not even play on Thurs, but the fact that they're thinking about it tells us they're not 100% sold.

In Geno's current form I'm not sure 'showcasing' him is going to be the best idea.

Play Petty and Hackenberg a half each and take whatever for Geno, it's going to be a late conditional pick whatever so even if we have to straight cut him, won't be a big loss.

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

they shouldn't need this game to decide.  it's more like they're sending a message to him, to see if he can elevate his game.  it seems as if geno assumed the backup job was automatic and that he believed he was closer to fitz than petty.

I have no way of varifying what you say is true or not but one thing is for sure if it is even remotely true than Geno shouldn't be kept. 

First Geno like any Qb deserves any Ws he's earned. None of them come easy except of course that Geno game against the Bills. That was too easy (for Buffslo that is and thanks to Geno). The surprise to me was last weeks game and why Geno had only had two series. Unless the Jets don't care about NFL tradition and played who they wanted to play for their own reasons. So either they're showcasing him or he's going to win the job and they want him to get some snaps. Hard to figure out these Qb moves actually going back 8 months. And not just the Jets but other teams. At this point they're dealing with smaller amounts of money but maybe some teams have to scrimp and save on a backup Qb to come in budget in terms of the cap. Mettenberger just got cut. 

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Can't paste whole article but can link the tweet.

I thought the same exact thing when I heard Bowles' presser yesterday.  You don't even consider playing your no. 2 QB in PS game no. 4 if you're carrying 4.

Jets are either still split on Geno vs Petty, or showcasing Geno.

You're just reaching here big time buddy. Backup QBs play the 4th game all the time. Even starters get a drive every now n then. 

18 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Let's face it even WITH Geno the Jets are toast if Fitz goes down for a lengthy period so why not give the young guys better reps and just get rid of a guy who simply doesn't fit in and has looked awful. If Fitz goes down Geno is NOT going to make the team any better than if Petty had to come in. Petty throws a better deep ball and sees more poised than Geno. I would cut him.

The Jets are toast even if Fitz doesn't go down.

29 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Sounds correct !!!! message sent !!!!!

10 minutes ago, j4jets said:

You're just reaching here big time buddy. Backup QBs play the 4th game all the time. Even starters get a drive every now n then. 

How many back up QBs have young 3rd and 4th QBs behind them who can use the reps, with a starter who has a significant injury history?

Jets aren't sold on Geno and I think you're dismissing it because you don't want it to be true.

15 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

The Jets are toast even if Fitz doesn't go down.

Probably correct but this is something we will know very early on this year imo, 1st couple of games will tell us a lot.  The Jets surprised last year they might this year.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Probably correct but this is something we will know very early on this year imo, 1st couple of games will tell us a lot.  The Jets surprised last year they might this year.

I just hope if the Jets are toast early they bench the loser for one of the kids, I don't need people screaming next year we should sign him again for another 12 million plus if the Jets start 1-6, 2-5, and then when the back end of the schedule lightens up with a lot of scrubby teams Fitz winning say 6 of the 9 games the fans will be pointing out how he finished strong down the stretch he is our best option yada yada yada, forgetting he is not good enough to beat good teams in this league no matter the supporting cast.  Watching him this preseason is worse then what I saw of him last season which was almost unwatchable football as far as enjoyment goes for me,  I never thought I would see a more boring unwatchable game then the Giants Jets game last season, until I watched the first half of the Giants Jets preseason game this year it was like watching paint dry.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I just hope if the Jets are toast early they bench the loser for one of the kids, I don't need people screaming next year we should sign him again for another 12 million plus if the Jets start 1-6, 2-5, and then when the back end of the schedule lightens up with a lot of scrubby teams Fitz winning say 6 of the 9 games the fans will be pointing out how he finished strong down the stretch he is our best option yada yada yada, forgetting he is not good enough to beat good teams in this league no matter the supporting cast.  Watching him this preseason is worse then what I saw of him last season which was almost unwatchable football as far as enjoyment goes for me,  I never thought I would see a more boring unwatchable game then the Giants Jets game last season, until I watched the first half of the Giants Jets preseason game this year it was like watching paint dry.

You're very negative. 

And wait....you thought the 2015 Giants game was boring?  The one where we scored 10 unanswered points in the 4th quarter for a comeback win, the first time we'd beaten the Giants since 1993?  That one?  Of all the games from last year to go with to bash Fitzpatrick, you pick that one.  Wow. 

What a glass-half-empty person you must be, and certainly a blast at parties.

Archived